/wdg/ - Web Development General

>Previous thread
>Free resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction (independent of your browser choice)
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - General documentation for HTML, CSS & JavaScript
freecodecamp.com/
codecademy.com/

>Further resources
github.com/iRaul/awesome-portfolios - Portfolio examples
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap - Roadmap
stackoverflow.com/ - Developers asking questions and helping each other

>Tools
jsfiddle.net/ - Use this and post a link, if you need help with your code
caniuse.com/ - Check browser support for front-end web technologies

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/wdg
w3techs.com/technologies/details/pl-php/all/all
railstutorial.org/book/beginning
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for bootstrap

second for jQuery

Actionscript here. Where do you need me to go.to()?

Fourth for Flash, amy Newgrounds users here?

add me on Kongregate

What does telling webpack to load something from a CDN do, exactly? Doesn't it sort of negate the speed gains from everything being in on JS file?

Play my shockwave game on myspace sometime bros.

Stuff loaded from CDN gets cached maybe? I dunno, never liked Webpack.

>mfw myspace is back online

telling webpack to load something from a cdn during the buildstep?
do you have an example of what you mean?

Question, how long did it take you guys to get comfy in webdev ?

I have a pretty heavy c / python background i thought i'd give webdev a shot since it's really useful in infosec related fields.

So far all im seeing a mess of diffrent frameworks, hipster shit and horribly messy codebases.

Front end? About two years, on and off.

Back end? Still learning new stuff. I feel pretty good with MEAN stack, but new technologies like graphQL are like black magic to me.

Django is a pretty popular Python based framework, you should check it out if you're seriously thinking about getting a job in this business.

All the JS being in one file is not a benefit. The only advantage it confers is that you have one less blocking request in the HTTP pipeline, but that is irrelevant (even detrimental) in HTTP/2.

Moreover, when all your code is in one file, it often means a non-trivial amount of time is spent just parsing the motherfucker, making your page take forever to actually become interactive. To address your point, you use CDN stuff for libraries that may be used outside of the confines of your bundle (maybe some dumb page effects or something). You also use it to take advantage of caching. You may also want to split your bundle into multiple parts (perhaps a second bundle only containing your common libraries) to improve load time.

HTTP/2 allows for tons of resources to be loaded in parallel, so that is another benefit of multiple files. With that, as well as the async tag on scripts/non-essential resources, you can speed up initial interaction pretty dramatically.

Thanks for reading my blog.

A huge majority of the stuff in webdev is just the result of a fractal of "best practices" never really being nailed down. It shouldn't take too long, I got confident after about a year or two.

Experience in Python will pretty much directly transfer to back end work, but if you're in the infosec realm, then the style will be different. Front end is different just because you're working in the confines of a fuckhuge stack of abstractions (the browser).

>npm scripts
>typescript
>rollup
>closure compiler
finally a comfy build pipeline

Should I even care about accessibility stuff like ARIA? Less than 1% of the population uses screen readers.

I started doing webdev professionally about 9 months ago, and I'd say it's only just now that I feel like I've finally figured this whole mess out. Don't stress yourself out too much though and keep it simple.

Anyone here have experience scaling rails apps to multiple app & db servers?

Should I load react from a cdn or have webpack compile it in? How big is it relative to jquery, and does that even matter when making this sort of decision? I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the pros and cons of any of this

What is your use case? If you're doing a public facing website on behalf of some company, they'll probably be happy that they're getting brownie points from users with screen readers. If you're just toying around with some personal project it's probably not worth it unless you're autistic about semantic html.

discord.gg/wdg

Lots of webdev resources and discussions.

>uuuus
Took me way too long to get what you mean.
Anyway, fetching every single thread of every board isn't feasible really.
Sup Forums API rules specify not to exceed one request per second, so 72 boards * 150 threads each would take way too long (probably still more than an hour, even after skipping over all the threads with no new posts). Don't want to get blocked either.
You can do it for a handful of boards maybe, but where is the fun in that.

How should I go about to adapt my ~10k lines React site for mobiles/smaller tablets?
Should I use some CSS-framework?
What's the best framework in that case?

>~10k lines React site
what?

explain

Yes, sucks for you, that you didn't consider different displays from the beginning.
You need it only to get a solid grid I guess. Anything that's modular will do in that case.
Bulma is pretty good.

> Yes, sucks for you, that you didn't consider different displays from the beginning.

Yes, I know. But I was not in the project from the start so I had no say in it.
>Bulma is pretty good.
Thank you

What is it to explain? I just guessed the number of lines, we have 15k lines in the project total.

How's the web dev shit going?

I used to come here all the time. I am on my second web dev job and things are going way better.

I am moonlighting on a rental site and building a business with a coworker in whatever spare time I have. You all?

Finally starting to feel like a fullstack developer got another decent gig and resume is looking beastly. Finally getting there boyos.

Yeah, once it kicks off it kicks off hard, doesn't it?

Do you not have a degree either? It took me 2 years to find my first job. Within 3 months I doubled my salary (or quadrupled if you consider moonlight gigs). Phone calls from recruiters several times a week etc. Ridiculous how much paper means at first.

No degree, 1 year of study at college then started work and have been slowly gaining skills and building the resume for 10 years while I took jobs in other things here and there. I can sense the next big step up coming. Feels good to be seasoned and have your chops.

The thing about bootstrap is

Last time I checked was many years ago and it was a music site only by then. I'm not even going to enter the url in my browser to confirm.

I updated to php 7.0 and my image generator no longer works. Was there anything deprecated related to GD (php docs suggest not) or is this a problem somewhere else? is there something in php.ini that might be causing this issue?

nih fags btfo

not real benefits, only cdns and other tlas want you to use cdns

>The only advantage it confers is that you have one less blocking request in the HTTP pipeline, but that is irrelevant (even detrimental) in HTTP/2.

elaborate and give pointers, is http2 relevant yet?

couldn't you do it with loading the thread into an iframe than applying the necessary parts? This way the request comes from the user possibly, but might violate CORS? I dunno

Or just do it for the most reddit board like the_donald or tv

but it might work better as a browser addon or something

Is web development programing?
If not
Can I be a web developer and a programer at the same time, by learning phyton or java for example?

yes

i think it counts as "programming" as long as html, css and ready-made templates aren't all you do

learning new languages is good though, it can make you better at ones you already know plus you learn a new language

Shit, I am struggling to push though course material I have collected while doing a day job that is quite physically demanding. Can you tell me a bit more about the path that you took that got you there?

>Is web development programing?
yes that's why it's not called web design

>greeting with a kendrick lamar quote
>making requests in an infinite loop

jesus forbes, get it together

> i thought i'd give webdev a shot since it's really useful in infosec related fields.
Really?
A web developer can switch carreers in to informatico security?

I have a full time job already, but where can I find some extra buck without Indians taking all the space?

raect

do you know vue and/or java? i can give you an extra buck maybe

Java I know

wanna review and fix a small project i did a few months back? it works fine but it's badly organized, probably needs some refactoring. send me an email if you are interested, we would agree on an hourly rate if you want

Closure Compiler sure feels comfy, but I found it breaks anything on-trivial unless you turn of every optimisation.

At which point, it's no comfier than the minify built into webpack.

Compile it in imo. People meme about the caches on CDNs but realistically, everyone uses a different CDN and everyone uses a different version of React. It's incredibly likely it will only be cached if someone visited your site before.

There are only larpers here mate. If you want to offer actual jobs check reddit

Is PHP still worth learning? If not what should I learn for backend?

more than 50% of all websites are still running php...
even if you want to play with something fancier php is still mandatory imho

>w3techs.com/technologies/details/pl-php/all/all

83%

interesting stats

>Dad keeps referring to what I do as 'web design' and keeps referring to JavaScript as 'Java'
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

anyone has any resources to learn css Design?, not setting the background color, just common designs to make websites look good

that's why knowing php is good even if ultimately you go toward node/elixir/rails/java or whatever

...Is it worth learning ASP.NET in 2017 /wdg/?

For full stack developer what skill sets needed other than html css and JavaScript. And learning which js framework is better now angular or react in terms of job opportunities

ah, I thought the idea was rank comments from all boards simultaneously.
For individual threads you can do it I guess. Either as an extension or on an external site, where you can browse the boards.
Too great of a risk though, that it could actually find users among the reddit crowd.

depends on where you live, but Angular most often is.
Yes (if it's for a job).
Node or Go maybe.
PHP is still dominating the job market though.

5 years

Any good resources to learn angular from scratch

Some large businesses prefer the windows environment which includes ASP.NET, depends on your local market really.

no idea, I use Vue..
just saying how the job market looks.

First stop would be the intro on the official angular site.

take some udemy course then read a book idk

Like that other user said, it depends on what the market looks like and how much of a hard on for the Microsoft ecosystem they have.

I personally think it’s an absolute joy to work with but that’s just my shitty opinion.

Even with advanced optimizations turned off Closure Compiler still compresses my files better than UglifyJS. It’s a bit more tedious to set up but in the end I felt that it was worth it.

I'm getting stuck in the rails tutorial, I can't focus enough to end this shit.

railstutorial.org/book/beginning

During a oauth 2.0 control flow, there is one thing I don't understand.
When the client makes a request to the authorization server, and the authorization server proceeds to poll the resource owner for his credentials and the authorization to give access to his resources to the client : if this happens in the context of a website, it would take the form of two login form, one for the credential and one for the authorization. But that means the initial request from the website recieved a response in the form of this form, not in the form of the token it was expecting. Doesn't that mean that as far as it is concerned, that request failed ? And if not, how does the website know when he'll recieve the actual token (or refusal) ?

Using nodejs and the oauth2-server module if that matters. Basically I'm coding the authorization server and I'm not sure how my endpoints should behave and reply.

man I normally would be interested, but iirc the Vue frontend needs quite a bit of rewriting doesn't it?
Also have no clue about Kurento at all

how to implement access control?

have a list of stuff
stuff must be reviewed before made available for everyone

how much will i fuck up if I just put a required_level into the stuff table and add a level to the user table, then querying I do user.level >= stuff.required_level

you'll run into granularity problems at some point I would assume, unless your levels are very strongly defined right from the start and you're positive they will never need to evolve

For a more scalable and fluid approach, use scopes. Every resource defines a scope needed to access it, and users have a collection of scopes they're authorized to access

What language would I need to learn to make a Streaming site like Netflix/Hulu/Twitch whatever ?

Pls no Bully anons

Here's my understanding of a fullstack dev.

Database design, so you'll need to be familiar with varying SQL solutions, how to create and manage a database.

MVC type development like .ASP or Django, so you'll need to know different programming languages like C# and Python. Not every fullstack job is building an MVC product but you are expected to be familiar.

Maybe not as important but very desired is familiarity with Continuous Integration development methods, like git, or the most common, working in Visual Studio and knowing how to check in and merge your work with the development build. This can actually be learned in a day or two depending on how your team does things.

I just recently learned to use srcset in img tags, media and sizes attributes for optimizing the site with images. How often do you use those when building sites?

Why is it a bad idea to learn web dev with WordPress?
All I got before from someone was "it just teaches the idea there's a plugin for everything and they generally cause more problems the more you use".

I understand that but I did a few classes on WP and the guy made it seem like the control panel was the be all and end all of it (it was CPanel) so my other question is can control panels be used without WP or what's the situation there?

The gist of it is that using wordpress doesn't prepare you to what fullstack webdev looks like when using more powerfull and flexible frameworks. It's a very self contained set of skills.

Once you do anything more than simply pull stuff from a db, transforming it, and throwing it on a page Wordpress becomes counter-intuitive. Instead of helping you get things done, it will just be in your way. Also its slow

please respond

What do the error messages say? It'll probably tell you exactly where things went wrong

I hope you have a LOT of money (millions) because that shit is incredibly expensive, and at that point you should just pay other people who know what they're doing anyway.

Use stackshare to find out what stacks people use anyway, Hulu is in ruby for example

I'm sure most of their performance critical components have moved to a compiled language. You can prototype your app however you want, but eventually you'll need to invest time in learning Go or C++ if you don't just hire someone else. Or maybe you can get by for a long time using nginx plugins and ffmpeg-server (if that's even still a thing)

thanks i forgot about apache logs. i figured it out

ci is a practice, git and vs is piece of software, a dvcs and ide respectively. There are various software and services which facilitate ci called a ci server/service. They have absolutely no relation to being a fullstack developer.

>This can actually be learned in a day or two depending on how your team does things.

clearly not, you have only a very vague idea

nice, I didn't know about stackshare. How come Flask is more popular than Django?

I'm sure there are off the shelf solutions, a quick search shows mediagoblin and mediadrop

>They have absolutely no relation to being a fullstack developer.
You're fired/unhired.

I've never used it, but if its like Rails vs Sinatra, neither of which I've used as well, its more light weight and stays out of your way more

how does one even learn html all tutorial are css, i got a course it said it has css and html both but it was only describing css with little html things where it was necessary,
are there any books i like learning from books

Did you bother to read the post?
"Maybe not as important but very desired "
That means full stack developers are often expected to know how to program collaboratively. There are various methods, which I vaguely described. You had an autism fit because?

right, thanks.

Are there even entry-positions for fullstack and backend work?
Any specific thing to look for?

I don't want to start as a bootstrap + jQuery monkey.

>All I got before from someone was "it just teaches the idea there's a plugin for everything and they generally cause more problems the more you use".
They must have been confusing clickity click web design with actual webdev. Everyone knows to do anything special with a CMS you need webdev skills because there isn't a plugin or theme for every situation or need.

If you weren't a junior web dev you wouldn't be afraid of being hired as one. Nut up.

What's the best set of languages to use for an online RPG strategy-type game? I'm thinking of a user signing up and battling foes who tailor their behaviour based on how skilled the user is - would this be a Python / PHP sort of thing or is there a better language to use for web-based strategy games?

Which is the best book for a complete beginner to learn python?

I know this is bait, but you can use whatever tools you want, yes, source control is important, but git is not the end of all things and not exclusive to fullstack devs
as for recommending MS products ...

might as well list not to be a dick, but you would probably fail that. It is not about what you list to be mandatory for a full dev, you either don't know what those terms mean or just using them wrong