Windows running where it belongs, in a window

windows running where it belongs, in a window.
for those who aren't following this, its so hype.
This is windows running with less than 1ms of latency with native performance in a window.

The implementation is really interesting as well. The guy who implemented this wrote a sort of shim driver which cause the graphics card running under the guest to output a bit of shared memory which kvm can then read from and output under linux.

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.level1techs.com/t/a-little-teaser-of-what-is-to-come/121641/31
youtu.be/1MI1s4hZ_yE.
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I hope you donated to his gofundme user.

>Needing ~1ms latency on wangblows.
>muh gaems

>fucking gamers! so immature!
>so user, what do you do with your free time?
>well I uh, go on an anonymous image board and post in threads about things I don't like to make myself angry

whoa... really makes ya think

This is nothing new. Ratpoison is really old window manager.

Link?

>I hope you donated to his gofundme user.
I'm planning on it.
I mentioned the 1ms thing because I know this board is mostly gaymers now. But I am just hyped up about in general. I still access my windows VM relatively often for schoolwork since we are forced to use some really awful software.

Here is the discussion: forum.level1techs.com/t/a-little-teaser-of-what-is-to-come/121641/31
He said its not available to the public yet because it requires a signed windows driver, and some other crap. But its going to be released gplv2, and I think its already in the redhat vfio driver.

>He said its not available to the public yet because it requires a signed windows driver, and some other crap. But its going to be released gplv2, and I think its already in the redhat vfio driver.
>gplv2
>vfio driver
Nice!

>requires a dedicated gpu
>runs in a VM
>latency

>n-no u
great comeback boy

I've had an idea where i have a minimal gentoo install with a VM and use that to boot/ run OSs inside

As someone who uses gentoo I would say just use fedora for that. I have it all set up under gentoo its comfy and I won't be changing anytime soon but if I had to start this from zero again with no knowledge of gentoo I wouldn't bother with it.

Is this going to require VT-d support on CPU?

You have to be pretending or genuinely stupid, windows 10 is a privacy mess even after you chop down your OS to a non-working state with its last breath it sends all your private data to Microsoft, NSA and so on.

I think it works with just VT-x(with shit IO performance), though I don't think you can even get cpus without VT-d support anymore. I mean even the i5-2500 supports it.

The state of Linux must be horrible if the only argument you have is FUD about Windows 10 telemetry.

there was something like vt-x and vt-d that got all bundled into one category, do you know what Im thinking of?

I'm not sure. It sounds like you are just talking about virtualization in general, which again most cpus support(all amd, all intel apart from maybe celeron/atom)

Here's an argument. Windows 10 regularly keeps me from using my computer when it decides an update is more important than me using my machine whenever the fuck I want.

>wake up in the morning
>gotta print something real quick
>installing updates (this might take a while)

THANKS MICROSOFT.

what's a shim? can you do the same thing with Vulcan?

Updates install when you shut down, not when while booting.

No, they start installing when you shut down. They often have to complete with another round at startup.

A shim is something you stick between 2 things. In this case the shim is the memory buffer that the virtual machine writes its video output to and that host machine reads from.
>can you do the same thing with Vulcan?
I'm not sure you are understanding the purpose of this. This isn't a way of rendering graphics. I'll just link the video here since it does a better job of explaining then I can youtu.be/1MI1s4hZ_yE.
He does use vidya as an example though obviously this isn't the only use case. It just happens to be the easiest example for the unitiated.