Python is my first language and I have become proficient in it (though I do know some C)

Python is my first language and I have become proficient in it (though I do know some C).

Is it the most based programming language? Everthing is super intuitive, you don't have annoying semi colons and brackets etc...

Why isn't it used more? I hear only Google really uses it

Other urls found in this thread:

learnpythonthehardway.org/book/nopython3.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>python
>based
Brainlet detected

Python is top tier for scientific computing and data analysis. I wouldn't want to try and make software with it though.

Spotted the actual brainlet.

It's used all the time in industry. It gets used a lot in science and engineering applications for data analysis, it's also used quite heavily as a glue language.

Python does a lot of things well but it's not a perfect language that encompasses every case. There's trade-offs for how it was designed, namely that it's quite slow as an interpreted language. Its object oriented paradigm is pretty weak. The amount of details it tries to hide to make your life easier also means you sacrifice a lot of programmer control, making it unsuitable for low-level applications.

>proper multiple inheritance with sane linearization
>support for cooperative inheritance
>weak object oriented paradigm

The only weak thing about it is that it's weakly enforced.

>you don't have annoying semi colons and brackets etc...

can you really call yourself a programmer if things like these are considered "annoyances" to you? they just become second nature if you actually put forth the effort to learn the language

Daily reminder that Python is now a SJW language for trannies and numales.

Reddit get out of here with your shitty ass bait.

Why is Python 2 backward compatible with Python 1, but Python 3 is not backward compatible with Python 2?

Yes. Regardless of the language, syntax is an annoyance, because it's always a tradeoff. What matters are the ideas you put into your program, the syntax is a necessary evil.

That said, I much prefer explicitly closing blocks. But I'm not a fan of semicolons if they can be dropped without causing ambiguity.

Apparently in Javascript semicolons are optional/redundant, with rare exceptions.

>python 2 syntaxe
Outdated meme

>intentionally gimped FP
>based
no

>Python is my first languageIs
>it the most based programming language? Everthing is super intuitive, you don't have annoying semi colons and brackets etc...
You are suffering baby duck syndrome.

>backwards incompatible
>dynamic typing
>synthatically significant indentation
>slow

can't be more than a scripting language

Java was my first language and I think it's awful and like python the best too.

good for you.

I miss for-else in other languages

That's because academia brainlets only write small proof-of-concept applications for their papers. So quick and dirty works for them.

Syntax changes

In what way is it awful?

Legit question, I'm learning it right now.

Really, the only problem with the language is verbosity. For example a lot of times the types of your variables and methods can be inferred from context, yet you are forced to write them anyway.

this is how I feel about all my professors
we never deal with large codebases

It's inelegant and inexpressive. It's tedious to do any work in. But as a learning language, it's fine.

It takes like 3 times more code to than normal languages to do anything, everything is unintuitive, it and forces you to do OOP shit at all times. Just comparing hello world should be enough to explain to you why java is shit
Python:
print("Hello World")

Java:

public class HelloWorld{
public static void main{String[] args){
System.out.println("Hello World");
}
}

Just printing something takes 21 key presses not even including what your printing. It takes 3 lines just to hello world.
Now imagine having to write out all this verbose shit when working on a big project, it is an absolute nightmare.

>everything is unintuitive
t. moron. Java is designed for morons and unintuitive behavior is minimized.

That's not what even what i meant.

Python is very easy but that is flaw too, you can use it in easy places like the morphs for a 3d models and other easy scripts but if you want to write a application python is way too dumped down. If you to be a professional programmer you have to know many languages.

Hello world is not really representative of a real program though is it.

It's representative of just wanting to quickly do that one thing without writing a whole program, which is exactly what python is good for.

C# has the same "everything is an object" thing as Java going for it and its powerful and expressive.

C# is exactly as inexpressive as Java. probably more.

C# was always a lot more expressive than Java.
Java caught up a bit recently but it's still not there.

Daily reminder that trannies and numales also breath oxygen and drink water. I think you should stop doing those things just in case you become a tranny or numale.

The only thing C# has that Java doesn't is misfeatures. There's no such thing as "a better java" and you don't achieve it by haphazardly tacking shit on.

Is there a language as multiplatform as java but not java?

Any JVM lang.
Alternatively, C.

>proper generics without type erasure
>misfeature
Java is tolerable today only because it copied so much shit from C#.

Reified generics are nice, I'll concede that.

Python 3 isn't even Turing complete. Point and laugh

You need to move on, Zed.

That's not even the primary reason.

It's usually that they only need to calculate something once, then proceed with the results to do something else. They use Python in simulations, data analysis, shit like this. It isn't supposed to be used in a program that is expected to run well. When you write real programs you need to be decent enough to at least use real languages.

You can compile C to literally anything that exists.

How do I program my cat to dance?

yeah you should watch your use of 'literally' user

I had to Google that to find out what that was about. Found a Reddit thread about it and holy shit, that place has reached levels of autism never thought possible even on the most autismal boards of Sup Forums.

Of fucking course Python 3 VM would not be Turing complete if it somehow wasn't mathematically able to run bytecode generated from Python 2 source. The conclusion follows from the premise, but Zed's obviously demonstrating the flaws of the premise with a reductio ad absurdum.

Also if those armchair mathematicians and computer scientists actually knew anything about those topics they would know that proof by contradiction is a real thing.

That definition only applies to the retsrded numale culture.

agreed, just thought I'd show you what this world is coming to

the word you're looking for is 'figuratively'
the double-meaning of literally isn't fully accepted

Srs question.
I know C and started getting into python recently. The things i read about it here really make me quit. Should i quit python and just start c++?

>academia brainlets

As opposed to cs undergrads circlejerking about programming languages?
If python works, why bother with something else. It's also worth noting that most people who do a lot of numerical programming also tend to know c++, c or fortran for when performance is actually required. But of course, the general consensus is to just use whatever get's the job done as efficiently as possible, which also accounts for the time taken to write the program.

or as that definition suggest, the word literally is being used incorrectly in place of the word 'virtually'

Python is the first language they teach you in a computer science degree afaik. Not an expert, but I'd stick with it.

Only Startbucks-guzzling hipster faggots say "literally" when they mean "figuratively".

Alright, thanks.

Just so we're clear, python 3 is theoretically turing complete (limited only by memory). You'd be retarded to claim otherwise. There are plenty of difficult proofs involving Turing machines, but this isn't one of them. Idk if that guy is serious or not cause I didn't read his shit, but I don't want any of you retards spreading that.

>I hear only Google really uses it
Much companies and people use Python.
Google, CIA, NSA and NASA for example.

Some of my cousins are studying physics, microbiology and pharmacy and everybody of them had to learn Python.

But Python isn't perfect.
I like to code in Python and use it for smaller projects like crawlers, small scripts for greater projects or embed Python in greater projects to make it scriptable.

But for greater projects it gets very dirty if you don't be careful.
I miss datatypes, braclets and templates which are not available in Python.

Do trannies rule the ML space too? Because Python is all they use in intelligent algorithms.

Man, everyone is using python.

Python is going to deliver machine learning to all us plebs.

I take it you are from outside the US? If so, what country? Just curious.

I love python and its my baby, but I'm OK learning Kotlin and Java . I think you are right but I generally am happy with most programming languages I encounter.

Dude you must be a fat asshat of a kid. Who gives a shit. A few posts up there is a foreigner who clearly cannot speak a decent lick of english.

I usually hear that java is awful because of how declarative it is. IMO after coding some java for android, it's too low of a programming language (like C++) but you are working from the JVM and not the hardware. Not only that but the Java language is proprietary, and free. So there is commercial interests at heart.

>I usually hear that java is awful because of how declarative it is.
It's not declarative at all. Those people have no clue what they are talking about.

python is the first language for science

what else is it for
you want something that produces a windows .exe? you an idiot?

this is the idiocy ... here we have "just becauswe it's scripting' it's "easy" .. the idiot here says "easy places like 'morphs for a 3d model' .. python is a PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE, 100% .. he says because it's written in python its lesser. you ever tried writing a 'morph' or a 3d model. professional programmer 'many languages'? fuck off

all the python haters, they haven't even used it .. question them in any depth, they have no idea, they're all wannabees with their fking obscure distro they can't even use.

That's strange, I've been doing mainly C and JS and I used Python for one day and never used it again. The performance and the syntax thing are unacceptable to me.

Python is easy as fuck to produce results with but in the end as the work carries on and gets more complex and resource-intensive you regret that you chose it.

If the project gets big enough there comes a point where you have to abandon python and rewrite everything in a more low level language.

Haskell
/thread

how can you compare javascript with python
javascript isn't even a programming language
it's minimal, it's like a macro language "shake and bake". it's what people who liked 'vb' use
it's for morons

javascript only exists because of the state of the browser market, the regression, caused by microshit. it's 2017 and they' ve built 'javascript' into this viability, somehow .. it is nothing. and they sneer at python. mode js is shit. it is only a javascript extension

If you're using anything other than C++ and various assembly languages you should kys.

sepples is an abomination

Nope

wtf is 'sepples'

C++
also, what is FIOC?

an x86 processor can't directly run python 2 bytecode either, doesn't make it turing incomplete
I don't get the argument

Fucking christ. Well can't be as bad as the tranny numales in ruby and JavaScript

the only good thing about python is that it is replacing php

reading about "excel" (excel anniversary)

"The room went quiet, and nobody had the heart to tell him."

The room went quiet, and nobody had the heart to tell him.
A company I used to work for had a sales director who was known for being a 'computerphobe' - and this was back in the 90s when there were a lot of them about. During a presentation, he handed out sales forecasts and figures that he had prepared using Excel, and everyone was pretty impressed that he had done that, as they know his particular ineptitude for all things computer-related. That feeling subsided when he
announced: "This spreadsheet thing is great, so useful, but it would be better if it could actually add up the numbers for you"." "The room went quiet, and nobody had the heart to tell him."

what i know from some "super duper" scientist is that they can only use matlab

its murder when they ask for some data, send them a csv and then they say "the data is corrupted, matlab can't open it".

sad

learn to speak correctly you fucking pajeets

fuck off

wow don't be rude!

sorry

>Python is my first language and I have become proficient in it
Don't get too cocky. I'd love to see some of your code along with your claim. I thought I was 'proficient' in Python after a few months, but then I discovered decorators etc

>javascript isn't even a programming language
How is it not a programming language?

>javascript only exists because of the state of the browser market, the regression, caused by microshit.
It was Netscape, you fucktard. Not that the alternative, VBScript, would have been much better.

Matlab has no problem opening and parsing csv files.

>an x86 processor can't directly run python 2 bytecode either, doesn't make it turing incomplete
>I don't get the argument

Read the article:

learnpythonthehardway.org/book/nopython3.html

The Python maintainers said it was impossible for the Python 3 VM to support Python 2. Of course if this was true in the mathematical sense, it would mean the Python 3 VM would be Turing-incomplete.

Of course it isn't, it's not mathematically impossible, it's just a matter of policy. And the VM is turing-complete and Zed clearly knows it, he's just engaging in hyperbole.

> else statements tabbed left
God no it's unreadable

I honestly hope no one takes this guy or his books seriously

Its because they spent a lot of time learning old, useless programming languages that are getting pushed out of the industry so they feel the need to furiously defend them.

Verbosity is a feature -- and I hate Java.

Coming from C I found Python to be a fucking nightmare.

y