/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for noobies:
youtube.com/watch?v=qcYttVwYyaA

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

Previous Thread:

Whatcha wearing this evening?

Could someone else show me a good diver such as a Rolex that can run for 20 years without service, comes with a nice oyster bracelet and costs about $200?

>Whatcha wearing this evening?

>manual says it needs a service every 3 years
Not your pic

Still wearing this, the only one I traveled with this time around.

>Not your pic
it's good for 20, you don't have to have it serviced

You don't have to change the oil in your car either. God help you once it finally seizes up and the whole engine is completely fucked though.

>You don't have to change the oil in your car either. God help you once it finally seizes up and the whole engine is completely fucked though.
it's not like oil a quartz watch will just keep going for 20 years, oil is organic and degradeds

Don't feed the troll please

>Don't feed the troll please

Nice second hand

what ref model is this? gonna get it for a friend for christmas

>Nice second hand
it's pretty nice thx plox

>what ref model is this? gonna get it for a friend for christmas
good choice it's:

SNE437

thanks!

>second hand

not him, but it's mid tick in that photo, the second hand actually lines up perfectly

make sure you get the one with the red windy knob stripe

>shilling seiko solar diver
>not picking the best one

i like everything but the stainless bezel, can you get it in another color?

there's even a solar version of the new divers

how much?

good call, my friend is gonna love this, he showed me an invicta he wanted the other day and i told him nah, theres much better out there, hes gonna be very happy with this

only black/blue dials

$500 for that

$300 for the titanium

Nice photos

damn

Man, our newest Seiko male is already on his bullshit.

Do any of you know any good materials(books/videos) on what goes into designing a movement?

Would be perfect if it didn't have that date window but a seconds hand instead.

>not him
>was actually him

only had to report him a million and one times. Whew.

There are far better meme watches to post anyways.

muh yuppie dick

do want

The absolute madman.

AFFORDABLE LUXURY.

Can somebody redpill me on solar watches? Are they basically quartz but with rechargable solar batteries? Just as pleb-tier as quartz or are there some nice movements in them? The idea of solar does sound great, set it down for 2 days and it won't stop, and even if it does I'll just adjust itself to proper time with a bit of sunlight.

Looks good in a photo but all that series except the platinum model are very underwhelming when viewed in person. I like GS but at that price they are competing with high-end swiss and losing.

What is the point of this dank maymay?

t. swatch marketing dept.

Loving this slav shit and it’s keeping incredibly good time.

1950s Accurist manual wind.

I'm one of the few people on /wt/ that actually own a GS so I'm in a better position to comment than you. The gold SBGW252 is ~$20k and at that price has to compete with Patek, VC, JC and ALS. It's a nice watch but there are many better in that price range.

Oops that's an old picture, I've polished the crystal now & it's much clearer.

Got this, because not allowed to carry phone in job site and need to know time.
Good balance between better than terrorist watch and not carrying if when gonna get scratched to hell.

to trigger reddit

Thanks for sharing the fact you spent $20 on a piece of plastic crap. I honestly don't understand why people post this kind of stuff.

>I own this $4000 dollar GS
>this means I can comment on $20k GS

lol ok

So had it a few months now. I find Omega's Thermo Compensation in the 5619 movement interesting. It is definitely accurate still and has not deviated since being set. Curious how well this will hold up a year from now. That said I have found one interesting quirk. If worn it operates perfectly at body temp, but when cold it is exactly 1 second behind. Seeing as its meant to be used in space I wonder if the 1 second diff is uniform once not warmed up or if it gets worse at lower temps. Too bad I'm not in Greenland anymore to use the extreme temps for a test.

Since I own several watches worth more than that, yeah I can comment. Have you even left your moms basement and see them in person? Nah, didn't think so.

So not like you're actually posting anything, this is what you sound like.

Any given watch costing several times more for the gold version than the stainless steel irks me. It's not like the actual value of the gold is enough to double or triple the cost of the watch.

Trusty old bastard.

Common industry practice and true for jewellery too. Yellow gold will also scratch easier.

Do not bully, doing some cleaning this morning.

>This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

If you don't appreciate the huge bang for the buck value for casios, you can go back to buying DWs or some other crap that wastes your money.

> appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering
> Casio
I'm being trolled right?

No you are just a moron who doesnt grasp the concept of efficiency.

where did NeinFag go?

i wear an apple watch

wew

Vostok Amphibia or Seiko SKX?

Got my new G in the mail, what do you guys think

that dial is wayyyyyyyyyyyy too fucking big.

oh hi mark from long island watches!

>The lugs overhang my bitch wrists BUTS ITS FINE I DON'T CARE I THINK IT LOOKS FINE.

This. The resin strap is really comfortable on this model, especially once boiled and curved.

I don't know, the steel version looks really good to me and isn't in that $20k price range. The curved dial and curved hands are sexy as hell, and the steel version I presume would have been tin polished like normal GS models so it should at least whelm in person.

How long does it take to fall 1 second behind and how long does it stay 1 second behind?

I have no idea wtf happened with that image.

Square or Circle?

oval

It's been on my wrist throughout the holidays.

Good for lazy days when you aren't moving around enough to wind a watch.

Are you literally not getting up from the bed/chair or something? Just moving your hand a little is enough to wind watch.

holy shit

why is the QC on the skx divers so fucking bad. it doesn't matter if its K or J model. there's always something wrong from a misaligned chapter ring, uneven lume, bezel that isn't straight. what the hell.

its iso certified so its ok

so mad I forgot my pic

These are the only 4 days where I haven't worked for the entire year. I refuse to move a muscle.

Because this watch is designed to be as cheap as humanly possible to manufacture while still meeting ISO dive watch standards including individual factory pressure testing.

Citizen couldn't even make an ISO certified Eco drive diver for cheaper with the BN0151, and actually ended up discontinuing it and replacing it with the $275 Eco-Drive BN0191. Basically if you want an ISO certified, factory pressure tested diver for less than the $275 of the Citizen BN0191 or the Seiko Turtle, then you are going to have to accept the trade-offs the SKX entails.

I've never actually timed it but several hours I think in both cases. One correction though, its actually 1 second fast when cold, not slow. Also it varies a bit as right now its only maybe half a second fast even though its cold. Never goes beyond 1 second in observation though.

lol how did i know it was coming