/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Ask your questions that don't warrant their own thread here. Try to google first

Other urls found in this thread:

asus.com/Motherboards/P6X58DE/)
newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231254)
ebay.ca/itm/G-SKILL-6GB-3-x-2GB-240-Pin-DDR3-SDRAM-DDR3-1600-PC3-12800-Triple-Channel-Ki/182865038154?hash=item2a939b0b4a:g:TWAAAOSwextZ0P4Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

what kind of PSU should I get for a NAS? At max, I want to run 15 7200rpm HDDs on it. How many watts is good and safe?

A hard drive runs about 8w, not accounting for peak power when spinning up.

They peak at 25w (WD RED) but i doubt all your HDDs will peak at the same itme.

so I hardly need many watts for a NAS, but will efficiency rating help at all? Or am I just good picking any old consumer grade PSU? thank you

Bump

Efficiency will (theoretically) reduce heat output in the system.

Just get a 600w EVGA/Seasonic or any Sueprflower rebrand user if your NAS will be simple.

how do I have dolphin mount a samba share when it comes online?

I want another computer with alot of storage to be in sleep mode most of the time.
I want to be able to send a wol packet, and have the now online network share to be accessible though dolphin.
mounting though fstab would only work if the server is online when the computer boots

>
I was thinking it might be an issue with windows? I just got this GPU like 4-6 months ago so I didn't think it would be an issue with something that I just got recently versus my SSD which I've had for like 2 years now. I mean that sounds like a reasonable line of thought yah?

You can set up an fstab entry that doesn't mount on boot. Include nofail in your options for that entry so it won't pitch an error on boot.

>source: huffington post
then youd loose alot of credibility.

Will it allow the folder to randomly be there throughout the day depending on if the server is on or not without any fucking around with remounting drives manually?

Something like this. users makes it doable by someone other than root, nofail doesn't hang when it fails to mount, ro is read only

Not sure. I can check it right now.

Does anyone know a good launcher replacement for the Amazon Fire Stick 2nd gen? It's arriving tomorrow & I want to tinker with it a bit.

It does work, at least in pcmanfm. If it can't establish a connection, it'll return a "host is down" error.
It did hang for a while, possibly because samba has a long default timeout, but seems to work other than that.

My mothers friend found out I'm "good with computers" asked me to speed it up.
So I opened it up and cleaned out all the dust from his fans and heatsink, did some minor cable management and then did some basic shit to his OS, like run CCleaner, removed all the bloatware and disabled some of the Startup HP bullshit.

How much would a professional charge for this kind of work? And how much should I reasonably discount since they're my mothers friend?

Professionals would charge a couple hundred, more if it's a big name professional. I'd say half off, and get word of mouth going.

Yeah I know, but I don't understand how people get these sources properly, surely news sites like the Huffpo don't contact the Washpo etc for every single photo that they don't own?

$30?.

I am Mexican so prices are different, i would charge $15 for that.
Did you ran adwcleaner and installed uBlock Origin in her browser?

A professional would charge roughly $150.
Say this then give a discount to $60.

Don't skimp on the high cost, seriously. If you fail to charge a large amount, the next time that the computer has trouble, it's your fault and you'll need to fix it for free. I fucking warned you.

neat. thank you for the fstab line and the testing.
gonna be super comfy when it gets set up

I didn't install anything. Worked all of it off of portable applications on a flashdrive. She's at least smart enough to have uBlock already on her browser.

I have a spare 850w PSU and I dont know if I should sell it.

What is a non-simple NAS anyway? One that would use more than enough power for a 650w PSU?

>installed uBlock Origin
>ever since user got ahold of my computer nothing works right. I cant even get half of these websites to load

Dont use Privacy filters, problem solved.

Really I think the biggest hit on performance must've been the heatsink and exhaust being caked with dust, and I took care of that.
Everything software was decent enough.

Any suggestions in finding a proxy that will allow me to shitpost anonymously

How do I configure PulseAudio so that my headphones work when I plug them in before turning on my laptop?
Right now they only start working after I unplugged them and plugged them back in.

You don't need a proxy to do that.

this

Something I've been wondering about for a while: when running a Python scraping script or something similar, does the script load the ads and/or javascript of the site it's trying to connect to?
For example, if you were scraping images from Sup Forums, would the script come in contact with ads and their potential harmful JS?

Any recommendations on a good wifi adapter that's plug in play for Linux, works for Windows, and is dual broadband?

sister needs a laptop for college
generally only web browsing/office stuff, nothing intense
what should I look at for options? T420 would be decent but it's pretty bulky and doesn't have the best battery life

>dual broadband?
whot

almost anything intel just werkz on linux
stay away from either realtek or broadcom, I think

T420 has good battery life as long the battery is the original one and not worn.

Still get her a X220.
You love her a lot?
Put a 850 EVO on it.

I've got both of those, typically I only get 2-3 hours of battery when they're 'rated' for 6

And what do you do on it?

Your sister will use it for facebook and office tops for sure.

is she cute

I'm not running crysis 24/7, just 5-10 chrome tabs most of the time, discord, thunderbird

Dual band*.

How can I tell if it's intel or not though?

it says intel on the tin dummy

Pls help ;_;

It probably doesn't load any javascript, but that depends on the scraping implementation. But that's mostly irrelevant, what matters is whether it'll execute any JS or not. And since most scrapers treat web pages as pure text nothing should be executed.

You aren't going to give her some ancient brick with outdated processor, right user?

Repostan'

What can I do with two cisco switches (one 24 port and one 48 port), and two wireless routers? I think the 48 port switch is a 2900 series.

My 6 cell lasts about 4 hours browsing Sup Forums nonstop.
It all depends how worn is your battery.

Check with hwmonitor how much your battery controller reports.

this nigger only gets 2-3, I can _maybe_ squeeze 4 if I force it down to 800mhz

Tin? But what if I'm looking off amazon webpages?

>Linux
There is your problem.
Im using windows 7 and that is how much i get, more if i reduce the screen backlight to the lowest i can with f.lux off.

If you are browsing Sup Forums 4 hours non-stop you should re-evaluate your life.

I got the same with windows 7

why do anti-net neutrality advocates say some sites don't pay their fair share. Even if sites companies like netflix make up a large percent of net traffic, don't they have to pay for that bandwidth? how is net neutrality stopping ISPs from charging those companies what they think should be fair?

Just a slow day at work user.

But netflix is paying a server which is paying a ISP.
Multiple servers and nodes because the bandwidth they use is huge.

Why is RAM so expensive now?

Should I upgrade to Windows 10 1709 FCU?

Where could I buy a proxy server?

Do you wanna the short version or the long version?

Short version is, jewish tricks.
Factories that make DIMM chips are price fixing, reducing the supply so they can sell the chips more expensive.
And all of them are doing it so there is not a price fight between them since they only will lose money.

See micron for example, from a $400 Million loss to $5 Billion profit in 8 months.

SK Hynx and Samsung are the other 2 big factories and are doing the same with similar results.

>But netflix is paying a server which is paying a ISP
I know, that was the point of my question.

Not gonna lie, 4 hours is low for me. I was just being a dick.

I cleaned browser data (Chromium) and lost OAuth2 token to a website. How do I get it back?

Hear me out /sqt/,
I upgraded Windows to 64bits from 32bits. Used official software to create a bootable image. I made a 9GB partition on my 1TB external HDD. Booted from that and everything went perfect. But guess what- GUESS WHAT. THE FUCKING SHIT DELETED EVERYTHING ON MY HDD AND MADE A NEW 32GB PARTITION WITHOUT ASKING. I lost so much. All my anime, all my books -I had 20GB of material to learn mandarin and japanese, and a GOAT compilation of buddhists texts named "The Translucent Stupa" which has 0 seeders now. All the buffer I was building on the private trackers I'm a part of were there. Hours of seeding whit I didn't care about just to build up that ratio.
My last hope is to use sys rescue and at least recover the translucent stupa and maybe some of the exclusive private torrents.
FUCK YOU MICROSOFT

I don't see why they shouldn't. If they have a certain amount of bandwidth they can provide, they should pay for the amount they use.

>blames windows for forgetting to run backups/being a complete retard

Feel like dressing up a realistic 3d female model. What's a good Android app and windows program?

Does anyone bother with ICM color profiles for their monitors?
Is it worth it?

if you're a aritst and care about color accuracy
though it's kind of pointless if you've got some chink TN monitors

what are some good age-gap mangas

Is there a way to disable the stupid "swipe up to enter your pattern" on newer androids?

There aren't any good mangas, so your question would be nonsensical even if it had anything to do with Sup Forums.

Let's say there is a website, like some sort of social network.
I was able to build a web client in java that lets me see stuff i couldn't see while using a normal browser, like someone else's private pictures, but if i try to build a web client in C# it will block the content i'm not allowed to see, like a normal browser would.

Is there a reason for this? Aren't they just they just wrappers for the same protocol?
I mean the website is just a website, that can't be the problem.

You're fucked unless you can find a replacement board on eBay

Im installing my mobo drivers from the CD it came with. Which one's do I need/don't need from this group?
>Intel ME Drivers
>Intel Software Guard Extensions
>Super Charger

My friend gave me his old Samsung S3 phone. I bought a new battery for it. I'm charging it with the usb cable attached to my PC but damn, it's charging so slowly. I know the cable works with my other phone.

Could the charging port on the S3 be broken? Any hints on how to charge this phone?

I went into the ASSrock BIOS and set the fans to all sorts of different modes, including silent. Fuck all happened.

I booted into Windoze I can't control ANY fans with 3 different software: Corsair Link, Speedfan, MSI Afterburner (for GPU). This is the 2nd ASSrock motherboard, first was an X99 OC Formula. Currently I'm on an X99 Extreme 4. Incorrect case headers wouldn't do shit like this right?

I did a clean install of windows 10 on a new hard drive and new mobo. Everything is fine but it won't connect to the internet through ethernet. I know that the cable is fine because it works just fine on my laptop. I already downloaded the lan drivers for my mobo from the cd it came with. What could it be? A fucked up ethernet port on my mobo or something else?

hahha nice

Did you try turning it off and back on again?

Yep. Still no internet

My mobo is a ASUS P6X58D-E
(asus.com/Motherboards/P6X58DE/)

My RAM is G.SKILL Trident 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Triple Channel
(newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231254)

I know it's old and I should just do a new build but for various reasons I just want to add more RAM. Right now I've got 6 slots and 3 blue slots are being used (triple channel 3x2gb). I've got 3 grey slots available.

I want to upgrade from my 6gb total to at least 12gb, but my exact model of RAM is nmot available anymore. What's the best thing for me to buy? Should I just get another set of 3x2gb and fill up the grey slots? Will I lose triple channel performance?

I was looking at this:
ebay.ca/itm/G-SKILL-6GB-3-x-2GB-240-Pin-DDR3-SDRAM-DDR3-1600-PC3-12800-Triple-Channel-Ki/182865038154?hash=item2a939b0b4a:g:TWAAAOSwextZ0P4Y

Would that work, or is there something better/cheaper? (I'm in Canada though)

try downloading ALL the chipset drivers.

I did. I installed the important drivers for my mobo. Another weird thing to note is that on my mobo's manual it says that two small leds right next to the ethernet port should light up when it's connected to an ethernet cable yet I see no signs of those two leds turning on with the ethernet cable connected to it.

MuPDF, SumatraPDF, or Evince? Looking for best usability/size ratio

Charging from usb provides up to 500mA, which is peanuts for a smartphone.

Nevermind, I'm so fucking retarded I didn't completely insert the damn ethernet into the port.

Thanks for your reply.

My RX460 is straight up not working, bought it used and I guess I got fucked. I read somewhere that you can put it in the oven and that apparently fixes it. Opinions?

Why is it that when I limit my upload speed in qbittorrent my download also becomes slow? I don't mind upping for a while but when I need to browse the internet it becomes really slow so I'd like to limit it.

Recommend me software to edit exported bookmarks files (those .html files).
I'd like to make one that would make the editing process look like messing around with Windows Explorer (or any file explorer), is the something like this around?

A quick way to download all media in Sup Forums thread? Plugins?

What is preventing a computer with CGA graphics from running VGA require programs?

Is there something you can simply hex edit for it to run the program?

DownThemAll

From all those three I've used sumatra.
I saw that it also follows and applies secuirty fixes based on CVEs.

Is devmgr.msc seeing Ethernet driver at all?
Is Ethernet enabled in BIOS / UEFI?

Not yet upgraded for new Firefox, the guy said on his website that he is working on it though.

I've got a txt file with a list of websites I'd like to visit, one by one, in quick succession. Is there any way to automate that?

On the latest firefox, is there any way to auto-hide the tree style tabs? Used to have it before.

Already solved it. My dumb ass didn't completely insert the ethernet cable into the mobo port.

>bookmark them all in firefox or something
>save the bookmarks to a html file
>get a mouse action recording program
>record it clicking on each website on the html page

Reposting for Latex

Opinions on budget projectors?

Asus Prime B350-Plus user. I did the mistake of updating to bios 3203.
Now my motherboard is not detecting my two ram sticks properly. Mostly when both of them are on it is not even getting to the bios. The ram is CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 and I am running with a Ryzen 5 1600.
Of course I want to go back to the previous bios 1002, but I can't because whenever I select a bios older than 3203 ez flash tells me the file is not a proper bios file and it recognises only 3203's bios file.
Does any has any idea how I could fix this or is it RMA time?

Someone told me he had a similar problem with another Asus board and an Asus rep told him that flashing bios from a flashdriver with more than 8GB ram could cause it to fail flashing properly and ruin the motherboard, which sounds absurd, but honestly I wouldn't be surprised.

can I use html list items as pseudo-radio boxes? I'm using a bootswatch css and mousing over list items alters it as though it is selectable.

I understand that I can have it so that clicking on the list item changes the radio box, but I want to do away with the radio box altogether