Be 2 years ago

>Be 2 years ago
>Using Windows
>Friend gave me a free HP printer, unopened.
>Have to install drivers for this bastard to work
>Trying to scan old pictures
>Wanna scan at high dpi
>Shit printer can handle max 1200dpi
>Hit the button to see what happens
>Windows can't handle it for some fucked up reason
>All ram consumed, inevitable crash ahead
>Boom.
>Fast forward to yesterday

>Using Ubuntu: Mate for aboot a year
>Decide to hook up shit printer for the hell of it.
>Detected instantly. No software needed.
>try 150dpi for safety.
>Barely any ram consumed
>Go to 300... still safe
>Try 600, then 1200.
>Linux takes it in stride
>Ram usage maxes at 700MB for whole system
>Save 40MB png for editing later

Install MacOS.

Install haiku nightly.
No seriously if you have an old laptop/pc you don't need with radeon hd or intel graphics you can use it and it is great.

OP you forgot to mention that your kernel panicked, X broke again and you have no thumbnail viewer in your DE.

So I call bullshit

>no thumbnail viewer in your DE
What? Ubuntu mate user here, we have thumbnails

>Something happened! :(

Linux is for people who actually want to understand how their machine works and get the most out of what a computer has to offer. Windows is for soy boys and Mac is for chads with cash to burn.

I came here to start the fire.

>kernel panics and Xorg breaking
What the fuck do you niggers do to your installs that things just magically break? The only times I've ever had problems with my system was 100% my fault and caused directly by my actions where I wasn't completely sure what I was doing.

>Linux is for people who actually want to understand how their machine works and get the most out of what a computer has to offer.
You better install gentoo on your mainframe and learn C then too because copy-pasting configs from Ubuntu forums isn’t ”understanding how your machine works”.

Not a kernel panic, but updated Manjaro and X wouldn't start automatically. Had to revert to an older kernel.

>not knowing the old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

I unironically did this, come at me cunt

>Linux
>get the most out of what a computer has to offer.
Ironic, since software and driver support is shit meaning you can't even use most programs/hardware with it.

>I updated Mandingo
Ironically it seems to break more than Arch itself despite claiming to just work.

>Have HP All in one, hardly used it in years
>Have to scan and send some documents
>Plug it into Laptop (running Ubuntu)
>It just Werkz, use simple scan to scan documents in 600ppi

>Have to scan some more documents a week later
>Plug Printer into Laptop again
>Printer is not recognised
>Scanner isn't found
>HP drivers not installed, would you like to install them?
>Drivers failed to install (multiple times).
>Search online for answers, don't really find anything useful apart from installing proprietary drivers.
>Force install proprietary drivers using terminal, scanner and printer now recognised.
>Open up simple scan
>Brightness slider does nothing
>Contrast slider does nothing
>Quality slider does nothing
>Printer can't scan in 600ppi without having to pause and wait for the computer to catch up.

How can I get to just werking again?

WINFAGS BTFO

lol no windwos has greater problems with drivers for hardware, install nvme stick into winfag machine hours to get it working as boot drive. Stick into Ubuntu it just werks and at max speeds tested it.

>be (You)
>dumb enough to install literal botnet drivers
>doesn't know how to look for driver-only package HP provides
>doesn't know how to extract drivers from full package anyway
>shit doesn't work
>must be wangblows :DD

>using abominations that pass for printing systems on loonix
>especially cups
>just werks till it doesn't, whole system needs to be reset
get rekt

That's nice, but Linux doesn't have proper soundcard drivers, nouveau often shits the bed at boot time(which distros like makingthe default) and recently the touchpad doesn't work without grub parameters either.

It's great when something "just works" but there are many more cases where you can't even get it to work, no matter how hard you look for a solution.

Not saying Windows doesn't have driver problems, but more often than not, it can be solved by searching and installing or rolling back drivers.

>no thumbnails in DE
You're not even parroting correctly.

>Something happened! :(