What are some common uses for the rpi? what did you use it for?

what are some common uses for the rpi? what did you use it for?

Other urls found in this thread:

pcengines.ch/
crowdsupply.com/gnubee/personal-cloud-1
ebay.com/itm/USB-Nano-V3-0-ATmega328-16M-5V-Micro-controller-CH340G-board-For-Arduino-Greats/302541194578?hash=item4670dc4552:g:FAsAAOSwg9dZ3Dbp
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

which version?

shove it up your ass

any

I use it for a ups server.

You can sell them with relatively low value loss after you realize they are useless

A server. Just install headless Raspbian via an the Raspbian Lite ISO, make the shh file and ssh into it from your laptop or whatever.

Sell it to a normalfag and buy a better board which has
-better processor
-more RAM
-SoC based gigabit ethernet
-SATA connector
-freedom respecting bootloader
-optionally with integrated nand storage

It's a toy for people dissatisfied with dumbing down of computers and limiting possibilities for tinkering. But other than tinkering if you have to ask it has no purpose.

And which is it, senpai?

what would you do with a better board?

This
Also.

webserver for whatever(open/nextcloud)
openvpn for your shitty phone so it's not as much of a botnet
ups server with several clients accessing it
some kind of firewall
ssh / poe hub so you can use it to hop to other clients on the network (no need to expose their ports on the WAN)
torrents

Pretty useful.

Sell it to a normalfag and buy an even better board

I am surprised noone mentioned pi-hole yet

Why do you need that shit if your browser has umatrix installed?

Small scale version of your server.
Media center for your TV.
Small controller for a mobile robot.
I don't know your life, what the hell do you normally use computers for?

-no support

Because there are more applications that use the internet than a single browser.
Also I can manage networkwide the blockage, no need to do it in each device.
And it logs what people do so I can spy on my family

And you frequently use applications that have ads that would warrant having pihole installed?

Or does it do something different I'm not aware of?

its my shitty seedbox + NAS

phone apps have ads
Also it's good for muh privacy since it logs every traffic and I can see what my apps do in the background(and trust me most are up to no good)

Add a vibration sensor, stick it to your washing machine, and have it alert you when the laundry is finished.

connected to neighbours wifi and made ssh server for irc, pirating and shit

>set washing machine to 40minutes

Why do you need a sensor to know when 40 minutes is up?

What? Your washing machine doesn't play a nazi song when it's finished

I used mine to learn the different linux distro’s. Messed around with it for 2 months and sold it. Was the 1st gen B. So it was slow as hell.

spambot

This. I sold my rpi, case, APPLIED heatsink combo for 80 bucks.

my server, 100% = everything
built up server / processes. Constant useage, also as a station (viewing music)

relied on heavily. used cos it's a PC there, always on. cron jobs scheduled etc.

Not him but don't forget that client side blocking has overhead, pihole WILL make your DNS queries faster.

Set up a PiHole to help filter out some ad traffic.
Set up a dedicated torrent box.
Create a redundant data storage cluster with GlusterFS or equivalent.
Cryptocurrency nodes, if you're into that sort of thing.
Set up Pi units at remote locations with backup drives using RSync.
Hook up one to a UPS, then use NUT to send a safe shutdown message to all PI's on backup power.
Web server with racist content.
Basically create a slower, cheaper, business-scale network of computers to get experience with Linux software and manage all your own data.

PiHole, Media server, seedbox, monitoring stuff like my UPS, IR receiver for remote controlling stuff, sandbox web server, shit like this. Also thinking about creating a pi based security sytem

Kindly stick your sorry excuse of "arugment" of no support or muh community up your ass kid.

You are using a generic ARM mini-PC with a generic GNU/Linux distro. Literally ANY software level solution (file server, media server etc etc) will work on it the same way it would on anything else.
Hardware level solutions (like GPIO things) should work with minimal modifications

tl;dr "muh support" and "muh community" are not an argument.

I have my Pi taped up inside an empty dell server case so I can pretend I'm a sysadmin that's guaranteeing the upkeep of a very important system used by a multibillionaire corporation and I'm being paid up to 200,000 USD a month for it.
And no, it's not a joke, after some months I ended up somehow believing it.

it's on my desk taking dust

>after some months I ended up somehow believing it.
you need to see a shrink asap

What the fuck is a shrink?

PiHole and VPN

why would you need your own server?

-Kodi box
-Pi Hole
-VPN
-Retropie
-Torrent box
-Print server for my home xbawks huge laser printer
Last one made it worth the buy for me, since the "official" ethernet adapter was almost the same price.

idling on irc

dust collector :(

A dust collector. It's not powerful enough for anything other than shit posting and old as fuck emulation when used as a desktop. And for server uses, it's slow as fuck because A). No SATA Port and B). It shares LAN bandwidth with the USB ports

I would gladly pay $50 for an rpi with even a single USB 3.0 port capable of full speed and/or a LAN port capable of at at least sustaining 500Mb/s over the network.

-bomb detonator with complex if statements
-spying device
-putting it hidden on some macdonalds to tunnel your home connection through it, free unbanned vpn
-backup computer

Deluge torrentbox, owncloud and I also attached an external HDD to it and use it as an ebook library.

If you buy a whole bunch, you can make a low powered parallel buttcoin miner out of them.

Network attached Storage

Micro web server for listening to ESP8266 sensors

Minecraft light control system

I moved all my personal Heroku/Digital Ocean/DreamCompute server to a cluster of Raspberry Pis (Docker Swarm).

if you have a static ip make an encrypted mail server
tor relay
webserver
irc server

>static ip
Or just use ddns

AirPlay music receiver

>tor relay
>irc server
It would literally be better to just put a huge sign outside your front door that says "FBI PLEASE VAN ME"

Dust collecting.

it's a good way to break free from the cloud.

i've been using one as an NFS share with all the music/photos/ebooks/etc. every night a cron job runs an encrypted backup to backblaze ($0.04/GB/mo). i use sshfs to connect to it from work and it actually works faster than gmusic.

additionally it's my calendar/contact server and a gitlab clone with gogs.

finally, it's a torrenting box with a remote interface using Transmission. the iptables rules route all torrent traffic through the VPN.

tried NextCloud on it, but it was too slow. now i just use SyncThing to automatically grab new pictures from the phone.

he probably means something like pcengines.ch/ or even crowdsupply.com/gnubee/personal-cloud-1

i think i'll get some of those once i have gigabit fiber, at the moment the additional power draw doesn't make sense.

it's just sitting in my drawer because I can't find the power adapter that it came with to sell it with

Tablet with 24h+ battery life.

GPU replacement for my server.
Run Xvbf on server and connect to it via VNC over ethernet or USB connection.

3W of power instead of 30-120W of my GPU.

Best kek

>2017
>soc available
>still using botnet services on the internet

I have raspberry pi 3 and I use it as a retropie.

Compute stick vs raspberry pi 3? Which one is better and have more power to do things?

Raspberry pi. First generation for smart tv replacement. (kodi) Send video urls from your phone directly to kodi via yatse.

Third generation as server.
Mainly rsync to backup my phone data. My phone has no micro sd port but 64gb storage. Sometimes the OS crahes. I'm scared it will give up on me. Thats why it rsyncs it's 64gb to my rpi within 3 - 5 minutes every hour

I wrote a program and script for my raspberry which crawls Sup Forums and downloads media files according to search rules. So i get all the p0rn I need

Does Retropie have Kodi and how kodi does work? Does it work like torrents so when I'm watching movies I'm simultaneously sharing them?

Pass the script mate, I use my pi3 with a GPS module and sms module on my car. So whenever I want to see where my car is I just send an sms and gives me the exact spot. I have small mobile data plan so I can get the best info.

4chins crawling is pretty easy, try it yourself for a fun project

the compute stick is for industry

This. Put it in one of the those nice little Nespi cases, did the shutdown mod and attached a fan+heatsink with proper thermal pads.

It's very nice.

I have a proper server for all my other nerd stuff.

I take mine to anime cons so we have something for the girls and I to watch anime on in our hotel room

Hentai too

VPN
IRC Bot
Torrent Box
PiHole
Flexget

>backblaze ($0.04/GB/mo)
I bit steep. 9830.4$ a year for 20TB. I could get 2 top of the line QNAPs for that kind of money.

Sorry, forgot a zero. It's $0.005/GB/mo

does your script search multiple boards, or just one?

>hdmi video player
I've used it this was a couple times

Also since I'm skitzo and live by myself so I've connected motion and infrared sensors to it, as well as a camera in my entrance door. These are scattered all over my apartment to detect any activity whenever I want. It logs it to a file and a LED statues panel in my bedroom. I'm currently working on getting it to communicate remotely with my phone.

RPi's aren't very useful. I think if you don't have the imagination to come up with ways to use it, its a waste of money.

I use an original model B as a pi-hole box, that (plus a rule to block ekansovi) plus ublock origin filters out most shit off the internet.

I also have a rpi 2 that I swear used to work as an SDR server but when I set it back up again a couple of weeks ago was noisy as fuck and drowned out any signals that the rtl dongle would have picked up. I would have liked to put it in my car and used it to signal temporary traffic lights to change with that transmitter hack with the GPIO pins that was discovered and other such stuff.

At the moment i'm wondering if it's possible to put Android on it and use it for Terrarium TV.

My Arduino was stolen, now I'm considering a Raspberry Pi. What are the differences?

How can I run pihole? I already have a pi with ubuntu mate? Should I just install with the CLI?

If you go to the pihole website there's a one line curl command to install it via the shell as I recall.

I was thinking about using it as a server, but it's honestly too shit for that.

Videocore is still nonfree as far as I know so I'm not sure how useful the pi would be with a camera and some computer vision. I imagine videocore isn't meaningfully useful for NN.

best I can think of is some kind of general purpose processor for making prototype IoT devices or appliances. Otherwise it's just a stupid dust collecting, mediocre computer.

> as a server, but it's honestly too shit for that.
is it good enough to use a dedicated file server?

How do you listen? I thought they hit a central server first?

It's ok as a server if you don't expect to serve lots of concurrent traffic or anything like that. Works all right for personal uses.

Use it for retropie.

I usually take my laptop when travelling. What's the point of a Pi?

How well raspberry pie 3 b can run psx games?

as a server, central data access and backup,
you know in case someone steals your laptop or
if you don't want to bring an external hard drive with you

It's tiny and cute and I don't have to worry about getting drunk and losing it cause it's cheap and I made backup images

It's easier to carry it around in a purse than a laptop too

Most of the games I've played run really well, only one that had issues is silent hill

Mine sits quietly on a shelf next to my router. All it is running is an openVPN daemon. Since all the traffic for all of my devices is going through it, I decided that the less that could get in the way of that job, the better. Though it does have a cron job that contacts my dynamic dns service with my external IP every 15 mins

>Purse
Maybe just be less of a faggot?

you're better off with a MacchiatoBIN and maybe some sas/sata pcie card.

seedbox for me too

bump

Can provide my shitty scripts later. But they aren't even close to state of the art. Just some hacked together shit.

A tor relay alone is not illegal.

I use mine for a scheduled & remote Wake-on-LAN server.

Arduino is a micro controller, better for smaller projects like automated irrigation of your potted plants, weather detector, or basic robotic system.

Pi and other miniature computer systems is useful for more complex robotic systems, servers, and, well, computers.

I would not suggest using a more expensive computer for the job of a micro-controller.

>Here, its dangerous to go alone: ebay.com/itm/USB-Nano-V3-0-ATmega328-16M-5V-Micro-controller-CH340G-board-For-Arduino-Greats/302541194578?hash=item4670dc4552:g:FAsAAOSwg9dZ3Dbp

Mining bitcoin :^)

LOL that would be funny

i used one as a retro gaming console
now i use 2 as security cameras in my dad's shop

You literally have no excuse not to own a pi running a bitcoin node