Why didn't you motherfuckers tell me earlier how amazingly comfy emacs was...

Why didn't you motherfuckers tell me earlier how amazingly comfy emacs was? I picked up vim some 15 years ago and never really felt the need to give emacs a serious try (partly because I'd already "invested" in vim, and partly because of all those scary "emacs pinky", "emacs is an OS" and "crazy neckbeards do email, IRC and live inside emacs" memes) until couple of weeks ago and holy fucking shit, I'm a convert. The infinite configurability and ability to bend it to your most autistic preferences is godlike, all with a much more shallow learning curve than in the case of vim. Also: fucking org mode, how did I live without it? I think I wasted 15 years on the wrong side of the eternal vim vs. emacs holy war.

>inb4 nice blog
Thanks, I wrote it in emacs.

Also, emacs general, I guess.

Other urls found in this thread:

common-lisp.net/project/slime/
orgmode.org
github.com/pft/mingus
djcbsoftware.nl/code/mu/mu4e.html
gnus.org
github.com/ch11ng/exwm
github.com/syl20bnr/spacemacs)
web.archive.org/web/20110812071717/http://beastwithin.org/users/wwwwolf/fantasy/avarthrel/blog/2011/05/lets-just-use-emacs.html
emacswiki.org/emacs/TrampMode
pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/vi.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_UNIX_Specification#Currently_Registered_UNIX_systems
github.com/abo-abo/hydra
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Org-mode is the reason I went with emacs.

Now I do everything in it, and with pandoc you can do anything with it.

Name things that I can do with Emacs + Vim bindings that I can't do with regular Vim.
I just don't see the point.

>Now I do everything in it, and with pandoc you can do anything with it.

can I watch anime with it?

I've been preaching emacs ever since I switched too m8. It's just so damn good. It's too bad that all the vim memers fall for stupid shit like emacs being bloated or fucking your pinky.

Probably. Emacs is super extensible, there's even a window manager based on emacs called EXWM thats mostly just an elisp file.

>Name things that I can do with Emacs + Vim bindings that I can't do with regular Vim.
You can make your Lisp IDE, your text editor, your MPD client, your email client, your news reader, and your X11 window manager the same binary.

common-lisp.net/project/slime/
orgmode.org
github.com/pft/mingus
djcbsoftware.nl/code/mu/mu4e.html
gnus.org
github.com/ch11ng/exwm

Also it takes about three minutes to get all of that working from a fresh Spacemacs config (github.com/syl20bnr/spacemacs) by adding layers.

mpv does work inside EXWM, yes.

Try using Evil mode, or Spacemacs if you want an excellent dotfile without much work.
Turn it into a replacement for your IDE, terminal emulator, word processor and email application?

The point is to have a nice Lisp machine to live in. Escapism from the Unix ghetto.

what would u recommend for someone coming from VSstudio/eclipse/kate that want to test emacs ? I don't want to learn it, just something that give me a good taste of emacs to see if I want to invest time in it

ITT: Stallman has a discussion with himself

It's not about can vs. can't, it's about how much wresting/hacking you need before you can. Emacs is programmable by design (it's basically a Lisp interpreter) so the extending possibilities are not only infinite but much easier and natural than in the case of Vim. It also communicates with subprocesses better, so embedding a debugger or interpreter, or shell in it is also much easier. And, of course, there's Org-mode, which is a selling point for many people.

>Garfinkel
>Weise
>Strassmann

every time

I would recommend nutting the fuck up and trying it. Emacs's power is in its customization, so leaving anything to its defaults sort of misses the point.

Yes. You can even do video editing

Reminder than package managers are what make emacs slow.

Don't use package managers.

Most of their complaints were addressed in GNU/Linux by like 2005 too. Linux's ability to run on damn near anything 32 bit or 64 bit, its zero price tag, and the collection of Free Software available for it collapsed entire classes of OS and application markets. It and OS X axe murdered the parts of the unix workstation industry that actually needed unix, with the rest migrating to Windows (although even that's coming back with Win10's abhorrent bullshit).

I just want a text editor

Emacs without packages is kind of shit though. What's the alternative, manually importing and orchestrating thousands of lines of elisp or writing everything from scratch?

No, you want an IDE. Install xwpe, but emacs can be like that and more.

Then use Vim and hold your nose whenever you have to deal with VimScript, or use Nano.

>Anti-Foreword
>By Dennis Ritchie
>
>To the contributers to this book:
>
>I have succumbed to the temptation you offered in your preface: I do write you off as envious malcontents and romantic keepers of memories. The systems you remember so fondly (TOPS-20, ITS, Multics, Lisp Machine, Cedar/Mesa, the Dorado) are not just out to pasture, they are fertilizing it from below. Your judgments are not keen, they are intoxicated by metaphor. In the Preface you suffer first from heat, lice, and malnourishment, then become prisoners in a Gulag. In Chapter 1 you are in turn infected by a virus, racked by drug addiction, and addled by puffiness of the genome.
>
>Yet your prison without coherent design continues to imprison you. How can this be, if it has no strong places? The rational prisoner exploits the weak places, creates order from chaos: instead, collectives like the FSF vindicate their jailers by building cells almost compatible with the existing ones, albeit with more features. The journalist with three undergraduate degrees from MIT, the researcher at Microsoft, and the senior scientist at Apple might volunteer a few words about the regulations of the prisons to which they have been transferred.
>
>Your sense of the possible is in no sense pure: sometimes you want the same thing you have, but wish you had done it yourselves; other times you want something different, but can't seem to get people to use it; sometimes one wonders why you just don't shut up and tell people to buy a PC with Windows or a Mac. No Gulag or lice, just a future whose intellectual tone and interaction style is set by Sonic the Hedgehog. You claim to seek progress, but you succeed mainly in whining.
>
>Here is my metaphor: your book is a pudding stuffed with apposite observations, many well-conceived. Like excrement, it contains enough undigested nuggets of nutrition to sustain life for some. But it is not a tasty pie: it reeks too much of contempt and of envy.
>
>Bon appetit!

org-mode is literally the singularity event

>You can make your Lisp IDE, your text editor, your MPD client, your email client, your news reader, and your X11 window manager the same binary.
And why the fuck would I want to do this? at that point just move Emacs into systemd, move systemd into the kernel and have the whole OS as one binary.

>And why the fuck would I want to do this? at that point just move Emacs into systemd
People have literally used a static-linked Emacs as the init binary (init=/usr/bin/emacs) for a Linux session before.

Again, why would I want to do that?
Text editor: vim
MPD client: ncmpcpp
email: mutt or neomutt
news reader: newsbeuter
X11 window manager: bspwm + sxhkd

In other words, what is the practical reason for having all of this as one binary?

So what you're telling me is that emacs has shitty defaults?

sounds like it

Emacs with the right Evil-focused configuration is better than Vim for editing text, and you get all the better improvements of the Emacs ecosystem which stem from having a proper language interpreter instead of shitty vimscript. Mu4e in particular is significantly better than Mutt. Some stuff like EXWM is 100% "just because I can" functionality, but it's still fun to have the option. The biggest reason for putting everything inside Emacs is to make it integrate with the rest of Emacs, or to not have to leave Emacs to do things. This keeps you from having to do mental context-switches between Emacs and the rest of the world when you're in the middle of something. The random shit like MPD clients is for people who are already pretty far down this rabbit hole.

Deeply, deeply shitty defaults, yes. If you want to not ever touch the defaults of your text editor, nano or vim will be more your speed, or maybe notepad.exe.

>Emacs with the right Evil-focused configuration is better than Vim for editing text
>Mu4e in particular is significantly better than Mutt
Explain.

While I agree some things people integrate into emacs seem ridiculous, I can totally see why some of them do email or nntp in it. Browsing, reading and composing mail or news posts is reading and writing text; if you happen to have a highly specialized tool for reading, writing and formatting text that you've autistically configured to let you be as efficient in reading, writing and formatting text as humanly possible (and that you spend lots of time in anyway, because you're a programmer or whatever), wanting to use it for mail/news doesn't seem unreasonable at all.

vi is UNIX standard, vim and emacs are not. I can depend on the former to be available on any *NIX server I log onto. i log on to 100s of customer servers in a year thus vi wins

coolio. I am not some subhuman in sysadmin work. I work with a PERSONAL computer with PERSONAL software such as emacs with my PERSONAL configuration. so your subhuman issues are not my issues.

This speaks to me as a long time freetard. I still don't use Windows or Mac, but I've long given up on freetard purism.

vim uses the same keybinds as vi.
emacs is the one you can't be sure about, because you have to install some shitty attempt at emulating the speed and efficiency of these universal editors.

congratulations.

some of us have gainful employment

90% of what I do on a computer is writing, and I found that emacs works with sentences and paragraphs better than vim does, out of the box.

For code, I'm sure vim is better, but for writing prose it seems emacs is better. This is just my experience though.

I think this is a good argument for just using fucking vim.
That way, you have a fast and efficient text editor for home use that has the same keybindings as what would be used on a server.
You only have to memorize one autistic editor instead of two.

Sure. The only good thing about Vim is the user interface, the good bits of which are adequately cloned or improved upon with Spacemacs (or another configuration for your use case if you disagree). The actual text-editing backend, the code base, the syntax highlighting, VimScript, everything else is just BAD. You can tell it grew up on a bunch of half baked 80s micros and was only later ported to proper unix likes. Emacs has been the recipient of Richard Stallman's autistic attention to detail, love of Lisp, and obsession with getting software right since the 1970s, and it shows. For an example, try opening up an 8500 line Makefile or Python file in Vim. The syntax highlighting chokes halfway down and the file itself takes an abominably long time to open, right? Opening it in an Emacs pane is fast and flawless. This is of particular interest to me given that I work on shitty huge files from existing codebases like that a lot, as well as creating long prose files. Another thing is the server/client model. You can use the "emacsclient" command to basically say "open this file in a new buffer in an existing Emacs session" so long as the Emacs session has its server listening. This is fantastic if you've got a terminal open poking around a file tree and suddenly find something you want to have open in the same editor you've already got on a project. Finally, the Emacs package management system is a first-party feature, rather than requiring picking between four or five systems like on Vim. You basically just add extra repos, same as with your distro's package manager.

This sums up the case for mu4e very well. In Spacemacs at least mu4e gets some neat keybindings that are faster than you can do in mutt.

With Tramp you can open files on remote systems via SSH right from your local emacs. If you have plink.exe installed it even works on Windows. :^)

I do too. but sysadmins=subhumans.

It looks cool as fuck with a proper theme, too. I prefer Cyberpunk for dark backgrounds (and the name, lol), and Leuven for light backgrounds. This author explains the zen of orgmode very well.

web.archive.org/web/20110812071717/http://beastwithin.org/users/wwwwolf/fantasy/avarthrel/blog/2011/05/lets-just-use-emacs.html

That's not how corporations work, everything is controlled so I can't siphon out billions of credit card charges out of a customer DB. Everything is audit logged and the SSH access is controlled. If it's not via SSH or an X Windows server then I have to connect directly via PuTTY via a secured tunnel.

it's really intimidating 2bh.
gave up with a book dedicated to introducing emacs, and just opened up vimtutor
i'll give it a shot again some other time

You can use multi-hop SSH access with Tramp mode if necessary.

emacswiki.org/emacs/TrampMode

It's a customized callback that checks the cryptographic signature of the executable being called because we don't want a customer suing us saying we inserted a routine that allowed an intruder to price everything at a dollar, so helpful information potentially in certain cases, but not my primary job...

For the same reason I wouldn't want to reboot my machine to change programs. Context switches suck. Integration between programs is awesome.

vi is a POSIX extension. ed is a POSIX standard.

There are UNIX machines without vi.

ed man!

Multi-hop should work for that. You're using Emacs to talk to OpenSSH, which talks to an intermediate host, which in turn uses OpenSSH to talk to the target system and access files. There's no way they're going to be able to tell that you're using Emacs unless they've got permanent NSA level monitoring of every host and link on your network.

Who needs emacs or vim when you have notepad

>vi is UNIX standard
That's how I know you are entry level.

pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/vi.html

This is the POSIX standard. See that UP? Click on it.

[UP] [Option Start] User Portability Utilities [Option End]
The functionality described is optional.

OPTIONAL. vi is not on all machines.

POSIX basically doesn't matter when every professional grade of *nix went Single UNIX Specification.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_UNIX_Specification#Currently_Registered_UNIX_systems

Is there a reason why GNU/Linux and BSD didn't go SUS?

Every release of every distro would have to get recertified. It's an enormous pain for no real benefit, especially now that Linux is better known than Unix in many areas.

>So what you're telling me is that emacs has shitty defaults?
No its just the main reason to use emacs in the first place is to customize it and make it more efficient. If you're just using as a basic text editor then not using emacs to its full potential.

>For code, I'm sure vim is better,
It's really not. It's only better for light tweaking, simple config file changes, etc.

why not?

Just take your autism medicine.

Try reading the thread.

>plays beat in 33.33/12 time.

Or use Neovim where Vimscript is there for plugins that are still in vimscript (and there are a few good ones) but lua is the new meta

Lua is just a shittier Lisp.

Every dynamic language is just a shittier Lisp, including Lisp.

Currently in the process of converting my config package management to (use-package) statements. Up until now I've been zipping up my entire .emacs.d and transporting it with me everywhere.

I know, I'm disgusted with myself too.

use-package is silly. Just put your .emacs.d under Git.

The other part of it is I'm using it to organize mode-specific bindings and settings, and I'm hoping to reduce startup time as I acquire more and more packages (which I've at least heard use-package helps with)

Emacs bump

You bet your ass it can.

>Why didn't you motherfuckers tell me earlier how amazingly comfy emacs was?
We did. Many, many times.
We also told you to use Evil Mode, to have the best of both worlds.

It's your own fault you didn't listen to us sooner.

You can just start emacs as a service during boot time. Emacsclient opens instantly.

>white background
my eyes are bleeding

go to the eye doctor mr xXx1337H4CK3RxXx

Is there a good dictionary plugin for brief definition/synonym lookups on Emacs?

I down the brightness on my monitor to the point where white nearly looks like gray. It seems odd that people are actively trying to distort the picture with f.lux when there's already a reasonable, less-intrusive solution.

What exactly does one take to treat autism?

Blue light reduction is very nice on your eyes.

But not very practical.

Install Spacemacs and add the syntax checking layer and the layers for your programming languages of choice, and maybe auto-compelte, and then reboot Spacemacs.

We did when we made it the default editor of CloverOS

I've done Vim and Emacs and I prefer Vim.

Emacs Lisp >>> Vimscript, but the Emacs shortcuts are just bulky.

Example: create a macro "m" and excecute it 7 times.

Vim:
qm
[..do some stuff here..]
@q
7m

Emacs:
C-x (
[..do some stuff here..]
C-x )
M-x name-last-kbd-macro
m
C-x e e e e e e e

Is this comfy..?

I want to add that "8" requires that you press "Shift".

So "C-x (" is actually two times two keys you need to press at the same time. In Vim it's as simple as "qq".

And I'm not cherry picking here, Emacs has a great philosophy and functionality, but I just can't stand the shortcuts.

I having a hard time imagining what kind of workflow would compel the use of C-x e e e e e e e when C-u exists, but, yeah, that sounds pretty comfy.

How so?

More like:

..do stuff here..

C-7 C-x e

7 keys (5 if you don't count Ctrl) in emacs vs. 7 (6 if you don't count Shift) + mode changing in vim.

Fair enough.

Back in the days I didn't like the shortcuts, but maybe I should have a second look at Emacs and try to get beyond the "baby duck snydrome" stage.

Actually, it can even be shortened to:

..do stuff..

C-7

Ultimately, it's not about "keystroke golf" though, it's about which editor's philosophy suits your way of thinking better.

How I do dat?

Have a service start emacs with the --daemon flag, and then only use emacsclient -c to open a new emacs frame when you need to edit something

Maybe if the community took Guile a bit more seriously. As of now, newer vim-like editors like neovim and xi seem to be good for someone my my use-case of wanting my autism to be modernized.

What sort of modernization do they offer?

evil is surprisingly nice and easy to install

holy shit the logo is a gnu. can't believe it took me 4 years to see it

Anyone here using Emacs for IRC and Bitlbee as well? What's your setup?

Thanks for pointing it out, I hadn't realised it either.

Hydra is highly recommended if you just want a simple vi mode instead of requiring Evil.

github.com/abo-abo/hydra

emacs-nox is my life

I'm going to write a window manager in vimscript.

Can you please describe your work flow with org?

I write a lot of long reports and dissertations, so I have main sections (one asterisk, this or \section in .tex) for the main essay (on header),references, footnotes (automatically), etc.

Then I have the file open in a split buffer so I can move between the various headings of one part (and move them around), and then add to the main part. Obviously in addition to footnotes there's markup, hyperlinks, etc., and can be exported to quite snazzy looking HTML or PDF.

I would take a screen shot, but I do it all on an old laptop (without even X, to keep distractions to a minimum).

Just have a go at it, and you'll see the attraction. Also, the tables will blow your mind.