In 2007, 2002 technology, music, movies, shows, fashion, games, etc...

In 2007, 2002 technology, music, movies, shows, fashion, games, etc. felt very old/dated and like they were 100000 million miles away from 2007's culture.

But in 2017, 2012 culture and tech feels exactly the same as 2017's culture and tech, except that there was less "SJW" stuff back then but other than that, the style is pretty much the same.

What happened?

Other urls found in this thread:

vanityfair.com/style/2012/01/prisoners-of-style-201201
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Femenism
Leftism

I don't think leftism and feminism would have much of an influence on the look and feel of tech, unless it's a Barbie computer

Is that a boy or a girl.
Looks like me when I was 16.
Not even joking, even the god damn glasses.

Fuck I was kinda fuckable in a weird way now that I think about it.

I bet you still are user

Not anymore now I'm 29, depressed and with a shitty dead end job.
Also no more metalfag long hair.

If I wasn't a weird autist who hasn't let his family take a picture of him since he was 9 or so I would even post a pic from my teen years, I really looked like OP pic lel.

What do you mean? I'm a 80's/90's product. I fucking graduated H.S in 2002. Don't seem like it was that long ago.

grow your hair and start hrt

>2012-2017
Technology and codec development has been grossly stagnant as Apple, Google, and a few other control the content markets and dictate the terms, and formats they wish.

The music industry was happy to kill off physical media, but were bamboozled by Apple buttsexing them when it took over the market. The music industry in general has a terrible history of dealing with distributors. First they let big box stores killed their niche CD store outlets, then digital gave the power to a few megacorps that aren't them. Their attempt to squeeze steamers and other internet radio has been weak at best. Attempts at physical HD audio were complete failures due to the HDCD and Blu-CD formats effectively killing each other off.

The video industry would also like to kill physical and kill consumer rights, but they saw what happened to the music industry. They're a little smarter and decided to keep blu-ray up and running for the time being.

>2002-2012
Not really a great time as far as codecs went. There was a large flora of various mp4 implementations: 3vix, divx :), and so on. You had early internet stragglers like realtime and quicktime hanging on. Weird and proprietary shit like WMV, VP6, and Indeo were still a thing. Nobody really enjoyed installing codec packs.

On the other hand, peer2peer networks were alive, well, and available. Before Andrew Cuomo ruined ISPs, most of them gave access to newgroups for free, which also served advanced users well. Bittorrent was still in the dark ages at the time.

>desktops ditched by the vast majority of normies
>the vast majority of people that still use (and care about) desktops are gaymers
>those gaymers keep feeding companies that releases slightly better components for their PC with no actual innovation
>the retards that ditched desktops keep feeding the companies by buying new realeased phones on the spot, even though their phones still works perfectly and are pretty much the same fucking thing

>Andrew Cuomo
Wow. Finally someone posted a smart post here. You should mention net reality and a fact that it's a third loud(after sopa and pipa) try to fight torrents and piracy in general. It all started after 2012.

>Whate happenedu?

aging happened

As far as games go, between 2002 and 2007 we've had Half-Life 2, Doom 3, F.E.A.R., Oblivion etc....

It was hard to go back to anything else after that. We didn't have any breakthroughs of that magnitude since the original Crysis (released in late 2007).

What? OP asked a valid question.

This isn't your safe zone. Leave if you're getting triggered.

W-well, we have NieR Automata... and KSP.

>What happened?
Nothing. That's pretty much the point here.

02-07:
LCD replacing CRT
cellphones replacing landlines
emerging web 2.0 meme after dotcom bubble
smartphone boom after iphoneâ„¢

making everything portable and accessible even for the last Sup Forums-clueless normie and therefore resulting in
and the fact that there is only a small bunch of big players left that are in the comfy position of not having to give a fuck about anything at all.

It's historically proven that a strong monopolisation tends to (inadvertently) suppress innovation.

So, one hypothesis i've heard is that now we have access to effectively all culture. You can listen to music from the 50s to the 00s in a single playlist. Theres so many fashion companies out there they are catering to everything from ultramodern to vintage. Same story for video and films.

Plus the trends in replicating media from those eras and conformity is becoming less of a social pressure, meaning people can do what they like.

>posting this on every board.
fuck off pol troll.

analog died

Tablet/smartphone technology
Half the people I know don't even own a "computer" anymore.
Everyone just uses their phone or tablet, thus letting google/apple control the market as said.

You're definitely not the first person to notice this, OP. The seminal article about this phenomenon was written in 2011 by Kurt Andersen, and it should be required reading for just about everyone working in technology, art, media, fashion, or just about any field.

vanityfair.com/style/2012/01/prisoners-of-style-201201