Imagine using Windows 10

Imagine trying to defend your choice to pay $100 for a license to use an operating system which, by default, shows you ads and spies on you. Imagine only being able to excuse it by pointing out that with enough effort it is possible to excise the visible effects of the privacy-invading features. Imagine not even being paid to post in its defense. Imagine having to spread outdated notions about alternative operating systems in order to make it seem appealing. Imagine worrying about how much work will be necessary to revert changes made by the latest security updates. Imagine considering not updating and remaining vulnerable for fear of what the update could contain. Imagine not having a package manager and instead relying on fat binaries or facing dll hell. Imagine being one misclick away from becoming another victim of ransomware. Imagine support eventually ending in a few years unless you fork out another $100 and go through the whole process again.

Just get Windows 10 for free, it's easy

I use windows 7, is that really any better

Imagine being this desperate to get your fix.

Not much, although it isn't infested with Cortana.

non windows OS are too difficult to install things on or even use printers/scanners. I would move to free operating systems if the autists managing them actually made an effort towards user friendliness instead of appealing to the geek niche.

It's quite easy to imagine. All I have to do is imagine someone who is not a pedophile or a criminal who wants something easy to use.

Just installed for free

Also Adobe CC

My printer works fine with GNU/Linux.

imagine being a neet that can spend all day playing and tinkering with linux.

>My printer
You see "My" is the keyword here.
ANY printer works fine on windows you literally just plug them in and it just werks. Don't even try to bullshit me saying it's the same for autisimlinux.

>what the fuck bro, you bought a bag of shit and covered yourself in it??
>nah man don't worry, I got it for free

This^

I'm just not going to invest the hours (several, dozens, hundreds?) to learn some niche operating system to avoid the discomfort of literally less than 30 minutes of clicking to make Win10 tolerable. If it isn't work related there is no reason for anyone to use Linux.

Companies care ultimately about profits. If Linux systems were as good as you claim, you would see large office floors using them primarily. Instead everywhere you go you see rows of machines running windows or mac in some design-related businesses.
I wonder why that is. Why are businesses that have profit at the forefront of their strategy be willing to pay so much for an OS which is shit according to you?

>plug printer in
>connect to network
>walk over to computer
>windows has already seen the printer on the network and installed the relevant drivers and management software
>ready to use straight away
does gahnoo+loonix do this?

And yet people still prefer dealing with Microsoft instead of the alternatives. What does that tell you about Linux?

Because i cant be fucked to deal with Linux..

I dont want to have to learn or just google everytime i need to do something.

I have tried many distros and they all involve work, i love the customizing that it has but just honestly cba...

How many hours did you spend learning Windows? How many more will you spend trying to unfuck it over and over again? Dozens if not scores if not hundreds of hours. Cut your losses, man. Sunk cost fallacy.

Most office workstations are Windows because most people only know how to use Windows and not any other operating system. The cost is bearable. When you look at servers, it's a completely different story. Linux (typically GNU/Linux) dominates.

>Imagine trying to defend your choice to pay $100
Paid 5 bucks for my key 1 year ago, it's still actived and receiving updates.
Nice try loonix tard.

>because most people only know how to use Windows
How is that not empirical evidence that Linux systems arent user friendly and designed for geeks?

My installation did it.

also adding to this, i dual boot the latest ubuntu (n0 h8) because i love customizing it so much but the hassle of adding a script to start up to turn on my keyboard lights and spending hours googlin to find out why my cs is slow and trying to install driver updates.. I just prefer to hop on, browse 9gag and laugh at rage comics easily

Yep. I'd consider Linux if application and game support was there and there's something that could at least match Windows 7 at the minimum. Linux moves to slowly and is too disjointed to actually make something at the level of Windows 10 or MacOS but they can't even get that far and handle something like 7. It's pathetic. Even on my servers I'm using BSD instead of Linux.

I would argue that Java is extremely user-unfriendly, yet it enjoys huge popularity. The same is true of JavaScript.

That many people are unwilling to step outside of their comfort zone?

Not like I have much of a choice. Got W10 for free and afterwards bought Pro for 160 bucks so I could disable the bloat and most of the spyware. Thats gonna last me for how long now? A decade? What are the alternatives? Linux and run everything in a VM, losing half my performance in the process? Too much of a hassle and not much to gain from it. I am sitting behind a VPN all the time so my ISP cant spy on me, but the US government has a backdoor in every single piece of hardware anyway. I'll gladly deny Google etc. my data since its piss easy to do, but denying hardware manufacturers and Microsoft my shit is just too time consuming and I am neither "competent" enough to constantly modify my own OS, nor can I be bothered to invest the necessary time. I mean, at what point in time could I even be 100% sure that I am not being spied on? How long does it take for me to understand enough about hard- and software to reach that point? Doesnt seem like worth the effort.

>Linux and run everything in a VM, losing half my performance in the process?
Virtualization is pretty good on any relatively modern machine, I'd be surprised if the performance overhead is that bad.

Windows 10 is good, more stable than 7/8/8.1 Also you have no privacy anyway stop pretending that it matters.

And yet according to most people that bag of shit would be Linux installed on their PC.

Most people have never even tried GNU/Linux.

woah dude nice b8

Windows is more prevalent in the server market than people realise. It's true that the majority of internet facing servers run some form of Linux, but those servers are (at least in my experience with some pretty large companies in Europe) often running under Windows hosts. Windows Server has a lot of features that are absolute godsends for corporate networks so you'll see a lot of physical servers actually running Windows with virtualised Linux servers running on top of it.

As if privacy is the only reason to avoid Windows anyway.

Yeah man I’m sure you use a VPN for everything and exclusively use burner phones you pay cash for while wearing a fake beard and only use decades old PC hardware that’s slow as fuck. Oh and I bet you’ve personally audited every line of code in your OS.

>pay $100 for a license
Nobody pays for this shit. MS even _knows_ millions of people pirate it and they don't give a shit.
>shows you ads and spies on you
Given that nobody with a brain actually buys Windows, nothing stops you from installing the Enterprise version, or better yet, Server 2016.
>Imagine not even being paid to post in its defense
Imagine believing that everyone who likes a product is being paid by its creator.
>Imagine having to spread outdated notions about alternative operating systems in order to make it seem appealing
Imagine having to read page after page of Xorg documentation just to watch a movie without hideous screen tearing, in current-fucking-year.
> Imagine worrying about how much work will be necessary to revert changes made by the latest security updates
Literally never happened to me on any of my machines. Or to anyone I know.
>Imagine considering not updating and remaining vulnerable for fear of what the update could contain
Muh CIA niggers
>Imagine not having a package manager and instead relying on fat binaries or facing dll hell
Something something outdated notions.
>Imagine being one misclick away from becoming another victim of ransomware
If you actually have to worry about this, you're honestly too stupid to own a computer.
>Imagine support eventually ending in a few years unless you fork out another $100
See point #1

I use Win7 because it's still the best Windows iteration for what I need my computer to do for me. I simply need to be able to browse the internet, play media and edit video/audio. It's been, what? eight years now since 7 came out and I will not change my OS unless a superior alternative comes out. And judging by the shift of M$'s focus to mobileshit I don't see myself """upgrading""" any time soon.

Honestly I'm not even one of those "botnet" doomsday guys. I just have zero reason to switch OSs because it would be entirely pointless for me.

>tfw you bought Windows 7 OEM six years ago, used it on two different computers, missed out on the free upgrade to windows 10 then pretended to be disabled to get that free upgrade then sold the Windows 7 OEM to a friend who's using it without any issues.

I'm never paying for windows again lol

Bought my win 10 pro for 50 bucks. Never seen ads and have been prompted when 'muh spy' wants to be turned on during install andupdate

Free upgrade from windows 7.
Disable telemetry and use windows 10 optimization tools to customize it.
> move the fuck on with life.
> I use all flavors of the major operating systems.
> Windows has always been and will be a good all around OS
My daily is MacOS.
For work, linux.
For play/etc : windows

I paid 20$. I don't have ads. I don't have cortana. Imagine not being a burger

paid for windows 10, don't regret it. i don't care if they spy on my browsing habits. i use firefox and ublock, and thunderbird, so i don't care if they are trying to figure out a way to promote advertising to someone who divides his time between sankakucomplex, gurochan and spicytranny.com.

> spicytranny.com

Imagine working on computers every single day and still not bothering to switch from Windows because you're unable to set up a printer

I simply don't have a choice, a lot of software I need for my work don't work on Linux. But I don't really mind, I have tried both and I prefer Windows for personal use anyway, it's just so smooth. The fact that it's proprietary is a shame but that's pretty much my only gripe with it.

Bought my activation code fir 40 euro. Home waa 25. From a legit dutch site.

I wouldn't even use it IF IT WAS FREE

Why are there so many Pajeets on here as of late defending their beloved Microsoft?

1. I don't defend W10, it's a faulty system that probably shouldn't exist
2. I didn't pay anything for it and best of it I have several licenses (but that's probably paid in personal information and datamining bucks)
3. With enough effort it is possible to at least disable a few features that could take more of that, but you can't just disable the botnet
4. It's not an outdated notion that there's still plenty of software that doesn't run just that well on Linux even with latest wine-staging and GPU-passthrough has currently not gotten any less painful than one year ago
5. A few toggles take less than a minute and you blow this shit way out of proportion
6. I don't know what dll hell is, but I do know what dependency hell is. And I do also know that unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
7. The vast majority of security updates don't break a single thing
8. Ransomware can affect other platforms and has
9. Windows 7 came out in 2009 and it's ending its support in 2020. That's not a few years.

Imagine being this obsessed

Shill harder cunt

Have you been to an actual tech company office lately? We do embedded, only HR uses non-linux systems. Google is mostly custom Ubuntu fork.

i use windows 10, mint and debian. mint on my server and debian on my laptop i think the os's have different use cases i like my dev environment to be linux but windows is used for procrastination and gaming its worked well for decipline tho like my brain knows to be in work mode when i load up my linux distros.
also
>Paying for any software ever
if anyone here has legit payed for windows the need to leave this board

M8, you do realize that you can get it from Microsoft for free, right?

It's kind of the expected reaction when the topic is spammed to death on Sup Forums, even worse than anti-Apple threads

Payed 0$ to image copy windows 10 to my pc from my laptop
Paid 0$ for my mom to use her university employee account and get a legit product key that way

>paying for a Windows license
Oh no he is retarded

I have never seen an ad in Windows 10. I will continue to think you fucks are lying.