Is it too late to learn to touch type at 34 years old?

Is it too late to learn to touch type at 34 years old?

Not sure if I'm wasting my time trying, both because I may be too ingrained, and because I think I type pretty quickly and accurately with two fingers.

Also, for those who do touch type, does it not mess with your head to switch from a real keyboard to a phone/tablet keyboard (where you'll be two-finger typing anyway).

Other urls found in this thread:

typing-lessons.org/lesson_1.html
zty.pe/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's never too late to start, user.

>Is it too late to learn to touch type at 34 years old?
It's never too late to learn most things. As people get older they get more resistant to learning things though.

>Is it too late to learn to touch type at 34 years old?
No, adults just re-learn slower.

By touch type do you mean typing without looking at the screen, or using the home row method? People often conflate the two. I can do the former, but not the latter. I tried to learn (I'm 30), but didn't stick with it. I did make some progress though. I think if I had kept going, I would have been able to learn it. I already type at 120wpm+, though, so I just wasn't motivated enough.

I can type just fine without looking, but 90% with just my index fingers.

I mean the 'home row' method. Not sure if that's worth it. Just tried this learning program for a few minutes and it's a mindfuck.

Well, the reason I got interested in learning it was I use 3 fingers on left hand for letters, and one on the right hand. So the right hand is a big bottleneck, especially in vim. I might try and pick it up again.

I used this course:
typing-lessons.org/lesson_1.html

And this game is pretty cool for practice:
zty.pe/

No. I learned in about a month having hybrid typed (3 fingers left hand, 1 finger right hand) for my entire life. I did Keybr until I reached the entire alphabet with fluency, then started to use the “import” text feature to type out articles from the Washington Post (which are generally pretty long). I did this until I reached my previous typing speed (which was about 90).

>Also, for those who do touch type, does it not mess with your head to switch from a real keyboard to a phone/tablet keyboard (where you'll be two-finger typing anyway).

No. The weird thing is that I can still type and instantly switch to using my old habits at the same speed if I want to.

So was there any point in the end?

Not him, but I did something similar by eventually transitioning to a typing method that makes me use most of my fingers all the time. For me the benefit is that I can rest both of my wrists while typing. I have the same typing speed, 100~110, as it was before, but typing for a long time does not feel horrible anymore.

Yeah, I can type a bit faster now and no longer have to glance at the keyboard to reposition my fingers constantly. I’m still in the process of learning to type numbers and symbols confidently for programming, but overall I’d say it was worth it.

If you wanna start, start the right way, use a keyboard layout that was made for the comfort of your fingers, such as Dvorak or Colemak.

QWERTY was made so the typewriters don't jam as you type...

Urban legend.

I could legitimately touch type at high WPM all throughout middle, high school, and college. Just how all the typing classes taught growing up. I somehow moved away from it over the past 5-7 years and use all 5 fingers on my left hand and 2 fingers on my right hand. I would say my WPM is about the same, but it just feels more comfortable not using all the fingers on my right hand.

the one that's an urban legend is "it was made so you could type TYPEWRITER with the top row" iirc.

Nothing legendary about that, qwerty was designed for avoiding jams. I think you're confusing this with the "qwerty was designed to slow typists down" falsehood.

I believe both are untrue.

Nope. I switch from keyboard to the touch screen on muh phone and i can type pretty dam fast on it. You just get adjusted to both.

Download some kind of typing game, Shark Typer by PopCap (iirc) was pretty great simple game, you could try Typing of the Dead or whatever else there is with typing, it's a lot easier to learn when you don't feel like learning

I'm 33 and trying to learn to touch type too. It's hard brother.

>34 years
You can easily learn new skills at this age. You are not an elderly person yet.

It doesn't fuck with my head when I switch to two finger typing on a phone, but it is annoying to be so inefficient.

It took me about a month to go from two fingers typing to touch typing at the same speed when I was 16, it just takes a long time reprogramming muscle memory.
You'll feel like a complete retard when you first start and it takes you about 5 seconds to type each letter, but just stick at it and don't let yourself cheat by going back to two fingers. It's completely worth it in the end.

Also in response to the phone keyboard thing not at all because I use my thumbs to type and my 10 fingers wouldn't fit on the screen even if I wanted them to. My brain doesn't get confused at all because it doesn't even assosiate the two.

It's never too late. I learned to touch type when I was 18 after realizing I spent the majority part of high school typing one finger at a time like a retard. I just used that Typing Shark game to train. Try not to look at the keys at all.

Once you "get it" you can never go back to regular typing.

I learned at 33 by downloading a small piece of software called justtype. It places a small floating keyboard window on your screen with finger positions. You don't need to spend time practicing, just do your usual work but look at the onscreen one instead. After a week or so I was able to turn it off.

It’s just muscle memory. A few months of jerking off in a chat room or playing video games without voice chat can get you to a decent level.

> never used typewriters
shiggy

How is this a real thread. Holy shit. Having learned to type properly when I was like 10 it baffles me that there are people under 60 who don't use all their fingers and are intimidated by the learning process. Unironically thought this was bait

There is a name for people who don't understand that other people have had different lives and experiences. It starts with an A.

It's never too late, unless you use the phrase "it's never too late" as an excuse to do absolutely nothing with your life.

they are several applications