/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Soundtrack: youtube.com/watch?v=mEIMDbZ32_k

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>G4560/G4600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Consider Vega 56 for a Freesync monitor
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards; 6GB 1060 or 4GB 580 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Logitech-Gaming-Backlit-Programmable-Buttons/dp/B0086UK7IQ/ref=pd_ybh_a_18?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=92QPDS19Y6ECXZ85M9WD#immersive-view_1511767081655
pcpartpicker.com/list/6cnB8K
pcpartpicker.com/list/RJYw9W
pcpartpicker.com/list/ZdP9VY
pcpartpicker.com/list/jgCQTH
walmart.com/ip/Acer-Aspire-A315-51-51SL-15-6-HD-Laptop-7th-Gen-Intel-Core-i5-7200U-6GB-DDR4-1TB-HDD-Windows-10-Home/860360734
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186063
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaby_Lake#Desktop_processors
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_Lake#Desktop_processors
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163256),
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

so the i7 6700k will be outperformed by the i5 8600 even though the 6700k is listed as having a higher clock speed?

amazon.com/Logitech-Gaming-Backlit-Programmable-Buttons/dp/B0086UK7IQ/ref=pd_ybh_a_18?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=92QPDS19Y6ECXZ85M9WD#immersive-view_1511767081655

G600 mouse 24$. I was going to get a 403. Is the G600 worth it?

I'm looking to purchase a 4k gaming monitor with the following specs: 27"-31", 1ms response time, 144 or above refresh rate.
My budget is $600-$650 or would I have to pay more?

I decided to build a gaming comp for the first time and I have no idea what I'm doing. Trying to build something that uses a hand-me-down Radeon HD 7950 3GB until I feel like upgrading to a GTX 1070.

pcpartpicker.com/list/6cnB8K

>Budget
Preferably less than a 1000 USD excluding the card and the monitor (also maybe the hard drive). Most of the parts will be Christmas gifts but I don't want to impose on the family too much. The emphasis would be to bridge the hand-me-down with the eventual upgrade to a GTX1070, without having to upgrade more shit later.
>No i5 because they are defunct
Will there be a price drop then?

>Plan your build around your monitor if Gaming
I have an HP 23es monitor, bought as an emergency replacement for an older shittier model that got fucked, I'll probably upgrade it later if needed but I'd rather not for the time being.

Not much thought has been put into the list beyond high ratings and relative inexpensiveness, I have no idea on a technical level if it's practical or a brainlette's list. I like the case but cooling is questionable. Not sure how SSD is necessary if I don't care about loading times.

Which of these is the best for its price? It'll mainly be used to store windows on and maybe a couple of games but nothing that really needs super fast speeds or any of that. i just want one that's around £50, has high capacity, will have good reliability throughout its life and loads my OS faster than my current HDD.

Clock speeds are just a benchmark for how hot shit gets nowdays, unless its within the same generation and family of cpus.

Each gen they find some way to cramp more transistors in to the cpu die, make them more efficient, cut delay corners, make data highways shorter and faster, kraut space magic etc. You need to look up benchmarks to find out how strong a cpu really is, specs sheets on retailer sites doesn't really say anything.

The number of cores, threads and clock speeds are more just indicators of what usage they are intended for. Having more threads is only good if you mainly use your pc for heavy computing work, or if you regularly stream and make videos. But for the average pc user and gamer, its better to have fewer, strong performing threads than a lot. Some games only utilize 1-2 threads, and some use like 4 threads, while some (few) others can use all available threads. If a game doesn't utilize all your threads, it basically means that you paid extra for a feature that you don't use, which also lowers your performance output thanks to multithreading which the i7 cpus feature.

Unless you are a streamer, use your PC as a workstation or plan to run two 1080ti in SLI for a 4@144hz gaming setup, an i7 is a waste of money since it has more threads than you can use and it has lower single thread performance than an i5.

They don't exist. You can get that in 1440p for 600

Read the OP retard

Yes

alright, thanks guys. I think I'm settled on the i5 8600k then (whenever I can get my hands on one, that is). since I found out how you can get windows 7 and all the stuff like USB drivers working on it.

where are the ryzen mobile benchmarks?

>Read the OP
If you read my post you'd understand that I did.

why the fuck do almost all motherboards put a m.2 slot under where 99.99999% of people put a GPU, instead of on the other side closer to the CPU

m.2 drives need decent cooling, baking under a GPU doesn't help anything

Limit capacity to what you want (240-250, 480-500, 960-1000) and sort by cheapest. Unless it's some chink brand that can't write in English you should be fine.

Not almost all, but certainly way too many.
ASRock usually places them above the first slot and below the second slot (for misc M.2, not drives), so look at their boards.

I missed my chance yesterday to get the ASRock - AB350 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard for 85 USD.
What's a good alternative for around that price range. I'm so upset.

Get the i5-8400 or an r5 1600 instead.

The cpu cooler is overkill, get a cheaper one.

Skip the dvd drive.

W10 loading times aren't terrible on a hdd, so its perfectly fine to skip an ssd if you are on a budget. Better to just wait and invest in a larger ssd than buying a 120gb one desu.

Gonna build this next year. (Within 4 months)

Offer suggestions

pcpartpicker.com/list/RJYw9W

how do i into pirating win 10?

havent installed windows since 7

Don't use an AIO for such a hot chip
Premium air cooling or custom water will be better
Also delid

how do rebates work? i mail it in and get cash or some cuck card to spend on more from that brand.

Zen has no (none, zero (0)) high-end mATX board and I'm going to have to buy a mITX one for decent VRMs. I swear this is ridiculous.

Right now I have an fx8350
Would a ryzen cpu be a good upgrade or is it not that much better at the moment?

It's a lot better. There is always the possibility of Zen+ that's coming in February to be even better if you're not on a hurry.
Anyway, a sexta-core+ chip will be a big upgrade and I definitely recommend going for it.

i hate the Just Wait(TM) meme but you should wait. ryzen 2 is coming in a couple months and should bring good performance gains and clocks for the same price as current offerings. it will last you so long that it's worth the couple months wait. it'll last you longer than your fx 8350 lasted you.

That's most likely Zen on a better process (Zen+), not Zen 2. The latter is probably coming in late 2018 or 2019.

Ok I will wait. Thank you for the help anons I appreciate it.

There is at least a year before zen2 release (in fact it will be more). There will be 12 nm refresh soon(tm) but that too will be in like 3 months or so.

R3 1200 = FX 8350 in gaming, and they're pretty close in multithreaded performance
You'd see significant improvement from the R5 1600, but obviously wait as long as you can to upgrade, at least until Ryzen+ comes out

>ryzen 2
It's not Ryzen 2. It's Ryzen+. Ryzen 2 is on 7nm.

8 ball says: Ask again later

Hmm, perhaps you missed the part in ALL FUCKING CAPS
If you can't understand the meaning of the word NO go bash your head into a fucking wall

so there are a fuckload of gtx 960s from some unknown vendor being sold on ebay by multiple sellers, some with high review counts and some with low, but all are from china and are selling insanely cheap at around £30 GBP. with the recent bust in popularity of games like pubg on steam (especially in china) and steam hardware numbers boosting the gtx 960 to the top of the most used gpu charts, over double its previous count from last month, does this mean those 960s are probably legit if we look at all the correlations? i really wanna get one to put into an old 8350 pc i'm getting for free but i don't want the hassle of being scammed and then having to go through ebay's money back process. the deal is just too good though.

First time PC building brainlet here. only really got pre-built PCs on offers or upgraded singular parts. Done my research and trying to make a well-rounded gaming PC that will last for a few years, maybe barring minor upgrades.

pcpartpicker.com/list/ZdP9VY
Opinions on these parts, anything missing/not needed? Budget isn't astronomical but i'm not on a tight spender one either. Getting all this today on cyber monday saves me quite a chunk regardless.

>get an i5-8400
It seems to be of a similiar price to the previous i5 model at the moment, but it also seems it requires a Z370 MOBO. Looks like they're far too new for even PCPartPicker. Compatibility with parts beyond the CPU should be no different than a Z270 right?
>CPU cooler is overkill, get a cheaper one.
What's ideal for an i5-8400?

>skip the dvd drive
>Not having an optic drive just in case.

How is my choice in case, will I need more fans?

30 bongs is nothing, probably a scam though

>steam hardware numbers boosting the gtx 960 to the top
I noticed this too. Strange, to say the least, considering how old it is.

Definitely do not get 3TB Seagates. Some models have 25% failure rates

Just switch the mobo to a 3xx if you choose the i5-8400, rest is compatible.

>What's ideal for an i5-8400?
Deepcool 400 Gammax
or
Cooler Master Hyper 212

Case is fine.

>It seems to be of a similiar price to the previous i5 model at the moment
You are too stupid to build a PC
Leave Sup Forums

Didn't realize it had a filter on, now I see the newer chips.

Thanks for the heads up on the HDD, is a different size one more reliable or would you suggest a different make altogether?

Will this go cheaper? Or should I just buy it now?

How about RAM? Is 2 4gig sticks better than a single 8gb?

I have HGST, but you're fine with most 2TB or 4TB models from any manufacturer

probably not
Yes
Yes

n-no, I just ended up reading the price of an i5-7500 that came as a search result for the 8400.

Look for mobo+CPU combos.
Ryzen seems to struggle with 4 modules, so you probably want to get 1x 8GB now and add in another 1x 8GB later

You are completely missing the point, retard. Go read the stat pages for Kaby Lake and Coffee Lake on wikipedia and try to discover what you're failing to understand

that's why i was thinking these could be legit if there's some chink vendor selling these gpu in china right now for piss cheap. i couldn't explain why they're so cheap but considering the massive increase in 960s on steam and the fact pubg is the most played game with over 2m active players with like a half of them being chink botters, it might actually be legit 960s on sale.

Not really your question but as for RAM Samsung said they'll be ramping up the production so this will likely become cheaper.
The problem is, the world's biggest silicon manufacturer just decided they'll be increasing their prices by 20% in 2018 and this will likely negatively impact the whole market.

It was 10 bucks cheaper on friday
No reason to wait.

>mfw my eatx motherboard doesn't have a fan

Thank you gangsters.

Gaming Voltas when? Fucking Nvidia just hurry the fuck up

i can get a GTX 970 Founders for 140
should i go for it or is there a reason to go for a third party model
also will a 970 bottleneck my i5 3570k (or more likely the other way around) ?

That's a good price for the 970, although a 2 fan model is a lot better for overclocking
A 970 and that i5 are a good pair

>missing the point
That Coffee Lake is better but requires a higher standard of mobo?
My only issue is that if Kaby Lake is defunct and r5 1600 is the answer to coffee lake, well then AMD is offering the better deal. Take the figuratively too, even if i5 8400 is superior nobody will consider AMD a bad purchase where as getting a 7500 is terrible mistake.

Blowers are very noisy and you don't want them if you're sensitive to that.
That CPU + that GPU are pretty much made for each other.

How does this work as a small gaming/workstation setup?

pcpartpicker.com/list/jgCQTH

i already have a PNY 2Gb Blower 960 atm that is a nonissue for me

well i can get the Founders for 140 or i can wait until i get lucky and maybe find a third party for 160-180 (i never saw them under 160 the last weeks)
is the cooler really that much worse for overclocking?

What's the best 1070 ti to get?

a 1080

It's that much worse, really.
Though you could always take it and slap a $30 aftermarket air cooler on it later. It'll perform even better than AIB cards.

I know this isn't really PC build related, But Im looking for a laptop.
Is this a good deal for $300 (I get a 10% discount)

Acer Aspire A315-51-51SL, 15.6" HD, 7th Gen Intel Core i5-7200U, 6GB DDR4, 1TB HDD

walmart.com/ip/Acer-Aspire-A315-51-51SL-15-6-HD-Laptop-7th-Gen-Intel-Core-i5-7200U-6GB-DDR4-1TB-HDD-Windows-10-Home/860360734

Or is there something better in the $300 range?

Pop quiz: Which Kaby and Coffee CPUs are almost identical?

how hard is it to swap the coolers?

im upgrading from a 960 so the difference even without OC will be big enough anyways

There are like eight models per brand with kaby and like 2 per coffee, each with tiny differences.
Coffee has MORE CORES, is that what you want me to say? MORE CORES.

Are you TRYING to make me buy a Ryzen?

ASUS Prime A320M-K
Ryzen 5 1400
ADATA XPG Flame DDR4 8GB 2400Mhz
GTX 1050 Ti

Will this work?

You just remove the screws on the back of the card and the shroud pops off. You put thermal paste on the bare GPU and screw the aftermarket cooler. Check out this one for instance:
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186063
You shouldn't have to worry about PCB components since it'll get some airflow and reference PCBs are pretty much always overbuilt.

so the Reference cards are generally better quality then third party?
in most benchmarks i saw them lagging behind and i was wondering why

You still don't understand my question
I'm asking which Coffee Lake CPUs are identical to which Kaby Lake CPUs.
I'll give you a hint because you actually seem to be mentally challenged
i_ 8___K = i_ 7___K

It will "work" but it is far from optimal
Read OP, check example builds

That's because they run a blower cooler. These are mediocre by design but are used for good reasons such as exhausting the air out of the case, making them more versatile in restrictive cases if less efficient.
They typically run between at 75-80C at full load and are thermal throttling before showing their OC potential.

You're still focusing on the PRICE thing? I'm being bombarded by a bunch of shit while I have sixty tabs opened looking for shit. There is no need to be upset when I see an 8400 listed for 200 dollary-doos and a 7500 for 200 dollary-doos and the next minute I see something for 300

what a shame considering how cool they look imo

funny how my Blower 960 runs exactly 78c at 100%
i havea pretty small case so the blower could actually work better?

What should I be looking for in a case, or does it even matter when the size works for my build?

A blower would run better if you put absolutely 0 efforts in case airflow. When properly cooled, even ITX cases should work better with non-blower cards.

>price thing
No, you god damned retard. Holy shit, you are fucking dense. I'm talking about what's under the hood, so to speak. Or, what's under the heatspreader if we're getting technical.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaby_Lake#Desktop_processors
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_Lake#Desktop_processors

Find me the processors that equal stats, cross gen. Which Coffee Lake CPU is equal to which Kaby Lake CPU.

Hint: i_ 8___K = i_ 7___K

Eh, I pulled the trigger. I don't think I can beat this price for $300.
And I'm worried itll be sold out soon.

how bad is noise on reference Vega?

Im considering buying one for Blender and UE4 but i want my PC to be quiet

High TDP + blower and you're pretty much guaranteed to have a very noisy card. AIB cards should come out soon.
On a side note the Raijintek Morpheus has been very popular with people who didn't want to wait to have a silent card.

I'm trying to install a new intel i5-7500 LGA1151 on a new gigabyte motherboard that supports both LGA1151. I have the processor aligned correctly in the socket, but when I try and close the metal housing, it's pushed up too far to where I cant secure the housing. What am I doing wrong?

push harder

before i push the lever down

Make sure you haven't bent any pins
It's clearly not aligned properly

>Raijintek Morpheus
Cool, looks like a fucking great cooler

It's basically impossible to fix LGA pins.

That may or may not be the case, but regardless if the pins are bent it's pointless to continue on his current course

it is, just a clusterfuck commercial repairs wont risk it.
if you fuck up though you might as well try it, better than throwing the board away.

>I'm talking about what's under the hood
But why? What are you trying to accomplish then? This entire conversation started when you called me retarded after making a post referring to the similarities in price between an i5 8400 and an i5 7600k(which I had on my list, forgetting that it wasn't an i5 7500)

i5 8600k = i5 7600k
I'm seriously too tired to fucking nit pick charts on wikipedia. The OP says no kaby lake, shouldn't that be enough?

Does this count as no effort? Case has fans in back and front

I'm looking to get a media center that would also game on my 4k tv. I'm looking at a used build or getting a used build and a used graphics card, because the marker currently is fucked and I don't want to pay for ddr4 RAM and a new everything, when anything with an i5 from sandy bridge onwards, would probably suffice for me. In terms of graphics card, I'm looking at a used radeon 390 or gtx 970 with an aftermarket cooler. Would these be really loud and is the loudness of a build like that annoying in the living room? Would I be bottlenecked by a i5-2500 at 4k on 3A titles? I would also play some Xplane11, would it get bottlenecked at 4k? I could probably get i5-3570, would that be a huge deal over the 2500 for what I'm doing here? I would also really like to fit it into a case like the silverstone milo(newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163256), would that also be out of the question for the build I've outlined?

>Trying to play modern titles with dated hardware
If yoy want true 4k for new games then you'll have to pay a lot.

>i5 8600k = i5 7600k
ABSOLUTELY FUCKING NOT
i3 8350K = i5 7600K
THEY ARE THE SAME CPU
THE i3 8350K HAS AN MSRP OF $168

GO TO SLEEP
WHEN YOU COME BACK TO THIS "PROBLEM" TOMORROW FORGET ANY IDIOTIC IDEAS YOU MIGHT HAVE AND EXAMINE THE BUILDS IN THE OP PCPARTPICKER LIKE YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT. THEN ASK YOURSELF IF YOU ARE CAPABLE OF ASSEMBLING A PC OR IF YOU SHOULD JUST GET A GOD DAMN CONSOLE

I don't see anything but if you have intake and exhaust fans you're fine. You might want to do something if possible about these cables if you don't want to impede airflow too much.

go for the 970 and try to get a 3570
the 3570 is a nice upgrade to the 2500 and the 3570k is unlocked and the 3570k is a joy to overclock

they are usually fixed but i swapped motherboards yesterday and wanted to wait until my new GPU is here until i fix everything in place with cableties

is i3-8100 a meme cpu or is it genuinely better than a 1200?

Better than a 1200, but not as good as the 1600. Considering the price of mobos, the R5 + mobo is better than the i3 + mobo for the same price.

Lol your so hostile. It would be a riot speaking to you in person

The 1200 is literally the same as the 8100 if you OC to or past 4GHz.

Compared to an "overclocked" 8100, that is. If you leave it completely locked then the 1200 beats it by a few percent in all departments.

That's alotta ram

I don't give a shit about max settings(ultra is all snake oil these days) or any of that crap. I've checked the benchmarks and the 390/970 performance satisfies what I want, I'm just not sure if it would be badly bottlenecked by a dated sandy or ivy bridge platform. Essentially I'm looking to build something that would outperform the xbox one x for a similar price and only used hardware seems to satisfy the second condition. Also I want it to be reasonably quiet in the living room and in a small factor case. Is that too much to ask for or is it doable?

>housefire overclock is literally the same as a cool locked CPU
You and I have different definitions of literally, I guess.