/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Old thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Recommended IBM models:
X60, X61, T60, T61, 860, Transnote, PC110

Recommended freedom models:
xx00 series, IBM xx0 series
Checklibreboot.orgfor details.

Recommended modern models:
X220 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
T420 - 14", 900p, widely avaiable, socketed CPU, Ivy Bridge installable w/ Coreboot
W520 - 15", 1080p, Desktop Replacement, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
T440p, T540p, W540 - last ThinkPads to have replacable CPUs, IPS displays avaiable, chiclet
P-series - reminiscent to old build quality, top-of-the-line specs, better than most current mobile workstations, but very expensive

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Used laptop guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com

ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/

EPP discount for new ThinkPads:
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/technology/
reddit.com/r/technology/https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/
larbs.xyz/
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAA5P6HY5330
cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-3320M-vs-Intel-Core-i7-5600U/m402vsm22612
discord.gg/87PvZ7V
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Buy now or wait for Ryzen APUs?

>Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook)

why is this allowd?

It's always been allowed beause they are business laptops just as thinkpads are.

Stop the autism.

buy now

>bios booru
Thanks senpai.

t. creator

have dell D 830 with T 7250
love it and wanna upgrade it with either T9500 or T 7800
question is: does two extra megabytes of catche on 9500 will make a difference
and will it even acept 9500 ?

no i don't wanna buy new think pad

Took a chance and bought a thinkpad yoga 370. Don't know how long the hinge mechanism would last.

First thing I did was replace the stock Nvme SSD with a 2TB one then installed arch.
Works well so far, the only peripheral I haven't tested was the fingerprint reader; didn't add an LTE modem.
Took me 2 weeks on and off to customize with i3+xfce goodies. Still a lot I want to do with it but I am exhausted waiting for a good break to work on it some more.

Liking it so far, tablet mode needs some more customization but for the most part I am able to navigate reasonably well using a combination of touch-egg gestures for closing windows and fullscreen and onboard.
It is a little tricky with onboard since I loose focus the moment I press a key so I have to press modkey+spacebar to shift focus from floating windows to tiles which can be annoying.

Made a quick hack for screen rotation, basically you just rotate the screen in whatever orientation you want and then press whichever arrow icon happens to be pointing up.
If the panel becomes too tight I am thinking of replacing the 3 arrow icons with an accelerometer reading and lock rotation icon but I can't be fucked since it takes a lot longer to implement such a function.
Need to add a key combination and touch-egg gesture for hiding the panel.

depends
do you want 950m performance in a ultabook?

go away redditfag
reddit.com/r/technology/
reddit.com/r/technology/
reddit.com/r/technology/

I'm thinking of switching over to the fell latitude series. I read about Lenovo pushing bloatware using some windows backdoor and am thinking it's better to switch to an American company even though I love thinkpads.

with older c2d cpus you have to match the fsb speed afaik?

they both have the same speed and my bios is newest version

the only difference is catche

>gnu+linux general
>windows and macos also allowed because they are also operating systems

>gnu+linux general
>you are only allowed to talk about ubuntu
BACK YOU GO
reddit.com/r/technology/https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/

should probably work then?

>should probably work then?

yes i figured that much myself..
second question was: if there will be huge differeance in preformance ?
that's why i asked it in TPG thread
to get some clear answers

oh how young and naive i am

oh well back to Sup Forums then

>Took me 2 weeks on and off to customize with i3+xfce goodies.
For future reference: larbs.xyz/
I recently started using BTRFS snapshots that are backed up with Restic, this lets me clone my packages and configs between thinkpads(x120e, x220, x250) with minimal effort and speed.

I mean not much

thanks user, I'll look into it

i will buy 7800 then

also
>I mean not much
don't think so critical of yourself user or use ,

good day to you anons

I say that because I feel like I am wasting my days away user
also I find my T7200 on my TC4400 plenty fast for what it does so I dont know how much of a leap will T9500 have

does the t470p worth it ? i really wanted the p51 but the off centered keyboard is a real deal breaker for me

Ever held one of those business beasts?
They feel like Thinkpads re-imagined by other companies.

The optic disk drive in my T420, keep spinning and ots LED blinking even though there's no DVD/CD in there.
Any idea?

Smash it.

Try booting into a live OS

The issue happens irregardless of the OS.

replace it with another hdd slot
also kill the optical drive with fire as it is likely demon possessed

>tfw you run your finger around the soft rim trackpoint
who else?

Mine came with the orc burrow one. Where do I get some real soft rims? Or are the bulk ones okay

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAA5P6HY5330
I bought my first Thinkpad on Friday. How did I do?

Lenovo should still sell them i managed to get someone from support to add some extras for free to my order. the cheap ones off ebay are fine but they do wear alot quicker.

Any of you programmers/devs out there regretting purchasing an X230/220/201/200 because of its small screen and resolution?

this would be my only computing device btw.(apart from my old samsung phone, which is more of a Sup Forums machine)

Do all Thinkpads have backlight bleeding?

new keyboard = shit

I'm being sent out to the field to do some work and I'm trying to decide what laptop to take with me

I have a HP Elitebook 2570p that I've used for years that's like a tank, but it's getting old. I also have a mbp that was given to me about a year ago thats okay, but I dont think it will be too useful where i'm going because it has basically no connectivity.

Do I just buy a x2x0 series and call it a day? x250 or something maybe?

Yes, some have it worse though.

Mine doesn't and i've been rolling with this ips screen for almost a year.

I ordered the screen separately as an upgrade from 1366x768 though, it's not the original one.

What's wrong with it?

Is there a way how to read and control TLP battery settings without root?
It would be nice to have a widget which would tell you the current levels and let you start full-charge.

Also are any DEs TLP-aware?
I mean for example the KDE battery indicator is constantly showing "charging", when the battery is at threshold and not actually charging anymore.

i'd take the 2570p. consider this: a "getting old" laptop for field work is money already spent, and less to lose (lost, theft, damage, etc).

also consider that the base cpu (i5-3230m) in a 2570p is still VERY competitive with the fastest ulv chip (i7-5600u) in that x250 you mentioned:

cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-3320M-vs-Intel-Core-i7-5600U/m402vsm22612

the thread just wouldn't be the same without you user

yeah, i actually have a i7 3520m in it and upgraded the ram/ssd. Was thnking about dropping a 3632qm in it (35w quad core) but I don't think it's worth the money. It's a nice little machine, but it's gotten a little beat up and the screen is absolutely horrendous. We're talking a really shitty TN 1366x768 display in the 12.5" form factor.

But I lived with it as a daily driver for 3 years, so I guess I'll keep using it until it dies.

So I got the autismo splash screens to work on the official BIOS np, but with the modified 1.43 it doesn't fucking do anything. I can flash it just fine but I won't get the pic.

What could I be doing wrong, am I just retarded?

>dhl has been holding the t430 you ordered since wednesday
>still no movement
Holy shit I hate living in the third world. Why pay for expensive express shipping when it's as trash as normal shipping.

thinkpad is a brand, not a type of computer
so, ubuntu general so conversation about opensuse is not allowed.

i also don't understand the point your reddit sperging

i put a free-from-scrap 3632qm in mine for funsies but honestly yeah the i5 would've done everything i need

What would be a good gnu*linux non-lenovo laptop equivalent to t430 for around 200-300?

gnu*linux compatible i meant

elitebook 8440p
nice, how are the temps?

jk i meant 8470p

>no ktgee guides
>still calls my guides new
RREEEEEEEEEEEE

Also the discord is
>discord.gg/87PvZ7V

@everyone

Any laptops you guys want to see a guide on at the dankpads site? I want to deviate from the iMacs I posted.

FSB matching should be right, yeh
Not sure if wattage matters, but I do know that most laptops don't like Core 2 Quads.

Some of them are really nice.
I like the 8760W, it probably has the best screen out of 17" laptops at the time.
THe 8470p can be had for cheap if you want something that doesn't look too borning for normies.

Although the Dell E series were ugly, the E6430 is probably the most durable out of the big three ivy bridge 14" laptops.

Dunno about the M6800 tho, dem sharp palmrests.

£250 for ips, 8gb, 180gb ssd, with the dock and 2 chargers

how did i do Sup Forums?

i think it's been figured out a while ago that standalone latitude and elitebook general threads wouldn't be sustainable, and the topics usually brought up about non-thinkpad business laptops (mods, upgrades, design elements, linux compatibility, shitting on ulv cpus) wouldn't fit in other general laptop threads (

Alright, makes sense.

better than I did Sup Forumsuy

Isn't it usually customs in the third world and not fedex/dhl/ups problem?
+ if it is coming from the states we just had Thanksgiving on Thursday so.. everyone got time off and is drunk on food.

Can't believe some guy bid 240EUR on a t440, not willing to go over that.
Are x240 decent laptops?

doesn't get higher than 90c stress tested. egpu gaming can't get it above 80c. normal usage around 65c, idle is 45-50c

>Are x240 decent laptops?
it's pretty much a 12" t440, same ulv dual core cpu, can also be upgraded to FHD IPS, touchpad mod also available but it has a single ram slot

>want to get a ThinkPad for $100 today
>would have to go to the ghetto to get it
ehhhh idk

That sucks, single channel is pretty bad with igpu.

Should I get an x220 or x230

What should I look out for on ebay?

Keep 2570p, upgrade it to i7-3740qm.
Congratulations, you just got yourself the fastest 12,5" laptop on the market.

I got a x230 just because it was so cheap with the IPS

the keyboard isn't as hellish as people might tell you and it can be backlit if that's something you want.

its mostly personal preference

Nah, I ordered it on November 13, should have arrived in the 22 and it's being held in a warehouse of my city so I can't pick it up there, only until they move it to the store, it already passed cutoms like 6 days ago.

hahaah lmaoing@thinkplebs thinking their computers are """""""special"""""""

>tfw haswell quad core
yeah whatever

Tell the guy to meet at a Starbucks or something and go with one of your friends or mom.

how is performance measured in this picture?

there is no haslel 12,5" quad core thinkpad. Sorry f@m
in e-core points

A Y Y L M A O
Y Y L M A O A
Y L M A O A Y
L M A O A Y Y
M A O A Y Y L
A O A Y Y L M
O A Y Y L M A

>muh cores

hahahaahahah
read: you corelet

Not really, they could make their own threads, general fags are just fags.

fuck off jordan, you fat piece of shit.
Why are you still using this cancerous tripcode?

You got the TDP of both of those?
My dual x5670s can beat current gen i5s, they have a 200w TDP though.

both are 45W

Pls respond.

nothing, this fucktard is just mentally retarded.
new keyboard is fine

>my shitty haslel memepad with 8h of battery life beats both of those
I don't think that's right, either geekbench is shit at benchmarking or this haslel is good enough to match a skylake Xeon.

Anyone know if the T460s has a whitelist for approved WLAN cards? If so, are there any free software-friendly WLAN cards on the whitelist? I don't want to have to mess around with non-free binary blob iwlwifi drivers.

You're probably too stupid to install the same beekbench version as both above.

Oh, rip. That's what I get for trying to defend the jew.

I'm an electrical engineering major trying to find a suitable laptop for my studies, was looking at the X1 carbon, is this a good purchase?!?!

Thanks m8.

>order a thinkpad from newegg on the 20th
>order status is still "packaging"

could do that, but I'm a bit worried about cooling
nice

>decide I want to buy a modern looking budget laptop for school so that fags will stop telling me that my laptop is ancient
>so many don't have expandable memory
>most are missing ports, like an Ethernet port
>many aren't easy to disassemble and upgrade
What the fuck?

unless you want to mount 3940xm inside you have nothing to worry about. Just get a good thermal paste, some copper coins and that's it.

got my chink ssd back today so getting manjaro and windows ready to install

Planned obsolescence. You can only sell a single piece of hardware once, but if you design it to break, or fall behind actual use cases, then you can make another sale later

Is it dangerous to use the Thinkpad charger block like a hot water bottle?

>tfw it gets really warm under the blanket

Nah, you just get sterile. But it's no problem when you not getting anything anyway.

What's the best drawing program for the X61 tablet? I tried using GIMP, but couldn't enable any tablet functions.

I don't see why heat from the charger would damage my egg cell production, bit strange desu.

Krita

post dragging pussy along charger desu