Hi Sup Forums. I just installed Ubuntu for the first time ever along with windows...

Hi Sup Forums. I just installed Ubuntu for the first time ever along with windows. But now in the boot menu it doesn't show Windows option, only Ubuntu along with FreeDos. Also unable to access the other drives when I use ubuntu. How to solve it? I don't want to lose my data? Help me out Sup Forums.

Other urls found in this thread:

help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#Windows_installed_in_BIOS-MBR_mode
templeos.org
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Not a problem, just reformat from scratch with ubuntu and recover your files from the backups you made.

help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows
Run boot-repair.

I didn't made back ups...I emptied a drive in the beginning and converted it into logical and then shrunk some space from it to install ubuntu. Now I am unable to access other drives as it says unclean data or file system.

Hi. I'm glad you've made a brilliant life choice. You've just switched for Linux and you computer is already fucked up. Don't worry this is usuall in the world of GNU/Loonatix and freetards.

>I didn't make backups

I'm gonna stop you right there

thanks asshole.

Literally this, but OP probably didn't back up his files.

I tried using what you suggested. It does show the partition name my windows is installed on but it still isn't showing it on grub menu. It's still showing freedos instead of windows.

yes....

>freedos instead of windows
So you didn't have FreeDos installed? What happens when you try to boot that FreeDos?

FreeDos was factory installed. And when I click on it, it just shows a blurry screen and computer hangs.

UEFI or BIOS?

can't you mount windows partition and back uo your files in ubunte?

install os-prober package then run sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg from terminal

Just buy a5 new iPad.

BIOS

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#Windows_installed_in_BIOS-MBR_mode

How to mount partition? Also I am unable to access other partitions. It says those partitions are unclean.

Hasta la vista

Trying wait a minute

It is a guide for hard disk which have Windows partition as sda1 in the device. I listed the partitions and it shows my Windows partition as sda2. So I need to update parameters in the code given on that site...how to do it?

Write sda2 wherever it says sda1, that's all.

theyre unclean ntfs partitions, you didnt pay enough attention. when you turn off windows with fast restart enabled it leaves a file called hyberfil.sys, which is an index for every file on the filesystem. linux is seeing this and not letting you make any changes to the filesystem, because when you boot back into windows none of your changes will be seen and theyll be essentially deleted. try mounting the filesystem read only, or force it. for windows not showing up in grub, i use grub customizer. just google it, i think its in the ubuntu repos but if not i know theres a ppa for it. it comes with os-prober and all that shit. good luck idiot, shouldve made backups

It still doesn't show windows

It says that the value of instances such as hd0 and msdos1 is changed and different for every partition. And the value given there are for partition sda1

what was the output when you ran the grub-mkconfig command, if it did not detect the windows partition something is fucked

Why did you ignore the first steps of installing a new OS?

1. Make a backup
2. MAKE A BACKUP
x-1. Figure out what partitions you have and what is on them
x. Make sure that you are not overwriting any important partitions
x+1. MAKE SURE THAT YOU ABSOLUTELY DO NOT OVERWRITE ANY IMPORTANT PARTITIONS
x+2.check that you did the above steps

>freeDOS was factory installed
If you were stupid enough not to wipe your HDD and install an OS yourself then I doubt anyone on Sup Forums will be able to help you.

Give ssh and root access and I will help you :^)

it looks like you deleted your windows boot loader when you partitioned the drive. if you have an external drive backup your windows data (you can force mount the windows partition in linux) then use windows install media to recover your boot loader. other option is to use a linux tool to rewrite a windows boot loader to your drive, look it up with google qs I’m on mobile and can’t remember

I looked it up, the name of the tool is ms-sys

you emptied a drive? it was likely your windows drive op

What are you trying to accomplish?
If you just want to try a Linux/Unix OS, run it in a Virtual Machine on computer running Windows. I run FreeBSD in a VM, no problems.

This is the OS you need to be running anyway. Install it with the ISO.
templeos.org

nope. Windows was C, I emptied E drive instead.