Gentoo General

/gg/ - Gentoo General

gentoo.org
Quick Install: wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Quick_Installation_Checklist
Quicker Install: chiru.no/u/installgentoo.txt
Packages: packages.gentoo.org
FAQ: wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/FAQ
IRC: #gentoo on irc.freenode.net (all questions or help welcome)

Come here for help or general questions, post your configuration, discuss overlays, Gentoo info, new packages, post your desktop, anything else Gentoo, etc. Newfags welcome.

Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

discord(.)gg/mcfJPW
twitter.com/AnonBabble

hardened gentoo ~
op add the discord next post discord(.)gg/mcfJPW

>discord
kill yourself

HAHAHAHAHAHA THEY ACTUALLY FELL FOR IT THEY FEEL FOR THE MEME HHAHAHAHAHHAH POINT AND LAUGH BOYS POINT AND LAUGH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAh

stay mad ubuntard

go back to you retard

You fell for an ACTUAL meme LMAO
hey don't you have some meme terminal programs to compile LOL

anyone have an updated version of that nginx install script? the one I copied gave me a 404 when it tried to download nginx

Gentoo noob here, can someone walk me through the whole USE flags thing? I'm trying to understand it by reading the handbook, but it's just flying over my fucking head. Say I want to 'emerge --ask category/randompackage', what do I do in regards to the USE flags from that point? Manually add them in, add them to the command itself, what?

I want to keep using Gentoo because it gives a very significant performance increase to my puny laptop compared to other distros, but this shit is confusing. Pretty sure I fucked something up along the way with my current installation with all the use/cflags and whatever and probably need to redo it regardless.

>he's not intelligent enough to install gentoo
>he runs an OS with a low barrier to entry
It's not hard to install gentoo. But it's hard enough to require some effort and this creates a better userbase. There are reasons why things like law school/med school are harder than they have to be, it's to weed out the weak faggots who don't want it bad enough and who would be cancerous if they were allowed to join the in-group. But you as a woman would not understand this.

hi

how do I install bitchx in clover

install irssi

don't use any useflags, just use a profile, which covers 90% of useflags, especially something like the plasma profile. Then you add useflags when an emerge tells you they are required. You will have to get a feel for which ones to add globally to make.conf and which to package.use.

When you see the preview of your emerge you can look through and see all the things you might want to include, especially for something like ffmpeg.

how do I change channels when I'm connected to more than one

alt+Left/Right

The barrier isn't really that high. The whole meme started because you would previously install Gentoo with a stage1/2 tarball. Nowadays, Gentoo actively discourages that. When I installed Debian recently, I actually installed it with a stage3 just because the actual installer was so obtuse. It was, in my opinion, harder (by which I mean more obnoxious than a Gentoo install) by the sheer fact that I knew nothing about Debian packaging, utilities, so on.

Thanks, that's helpful.

How is hardened gentoo? Do you ever have yo turn off some the gcc hardening options to get packages to work or does it just werk?

Basically USE flags set what features to compile programs with. You set them in /etc/portage/make.conf and per package in /etc/poratge/package.use. You can override them on the command line by running 'USE="whatever" emerge whatever' but generally you want to set them in make.conf for global flags and package.use for per application flags. There are default ones set by the profile you can see by running 'emerge --info' and looking for USE=. Don't listen to the guy who says you shouldn't set then yourself as USE flags are how you customize Gentoo.

What gave you the push to install gentoo in the first place?

Just moved my Thinkpad to Gentoo after 3 years on Arch and I've been pleasantly surprised. I was playing with FreeBSD on an old desktop and found myself using ports over the package manager... it was annoying when the package manager got in the way.

I've also been learning C[++] over the past few years and the compilation outputs actually began to interest me.

I love Gentoo!

For me, it was just curiosity. That later turned into an obsession. This is a great operating system for autists like me.

Do you like my mug?

>post your desktop
haha just wait till the mods purge this thread too
GNU/Linux desktops are FORBIDDEN on Sup Forums
only phone desktops and Sup Forumsindows desktops are allowed

this post makes me sad

What's the correct way of doing it though? Look at the package description and use 'USE="flags" emerge blah blah blah' or manually add them to package.use first or wut

>use 'USE="flags" emerge blah blah blah'
don't ever do that
set global flags in make.conf
set per package flags in package.use
enable the ones corresponding to features you know you want
disable the ones corresponding to features you know you don't want
what don't you understand

Sorry if I sound retarded, I'm really fucking tired and strung out, and I'm actually reinstalling it right now. What I don't understand is, do I have to do this for every single damn package I install? Emerge lists all these flags next to the packages its installing, I don't know if it's using those automatically or if I need to add them to package.use or what the fuck.. How do I know when I should add them globally as oposed to per package etcetera etcetera I feel like this is much simpler than I'm making it out to be

For me, this is pretty simple. I have a list of USE flags I want enabled for every single package (+alsa, +gtk, +qt, -systemd) so I set those globally. Then when I want to install a package, I'll go to the wiki and see if there's a page for that package, and a list of common USE flags to enable or disable per package.

It may sound tedious, but having a package.use is a convenient way to make sure your USE flags for each package are consistent every time you perform a system-wide update.

>Installed Gentoo on MacOS hypervisor
>Kernel source takes 8.5GB
>Portage and libraries take 2.5GB
>Disk image is only 15GB
I should probably end myself

just make sure you pick the desktop profile
and if you're planning on using GNOME/KDE, then select gnome/plasma
the profile sets the default USE variable
you can add append new flags via make.conf or package.use if you want and you only ever need to edit those two (put a minus in front of the flag like so `-flag` to disable it)
no one's forcing you to even edit the USE flags
you can just go with the default ones for the desktop profile for now

run `equery uses ` to see what flags are enabled for that package and their descriptions
you'll know if you want to change the enabled flags or not

>I feel like this is much simpler than I'm making it out to be
yes, it's really fucking simple

>How do I know when I should add them globally as oposed to per package
I mostly enable flags per package
for flags you're sure you'll always need (not need), no matter the package, enable (disable) them globally
if there's a package that has a flag that's enabled (disabled) globally, you can keep your global settings and just disable (enable) the flag in package.use

Ok, I think I get the picture now (I hope)
Compiling my kernel atm, I just used 'genkernel all' for the time being, I'll have to go back and figure out how to do that properly once I get everything going..

I mean, there's really not much to it really
the purpose of distros like gentoo is to make customizing programs at compile time easy and painless
you just enable features you know you need and disable the ones you know you don't need
leave the rest at default (as set by the profile)

I'm just worried about leaving something I need out or having something I don't need or even know what it is in and breaking everything and having to recompile all the things for hours and hours and hours

> Uses hardened Gentoo
> Ruins the security & privacy it gives by using shitscord

Kys

>coding
This is how I know you're shitty. Programmers and developers don't say "coding."

That wget to kernel config in quicker install script made me consider installing gentoo again. Literally only reason that made me uninstall it was the fact that I often needed to recompile the kernel because it lacked some features on the fly. Thank, you might have seen 2 more computers connecting to gentoo servers tomorrow. Also, does gentoo wiki cover distcc enough to make it home network compiling a thing?

One day, compiling AUR packages got me idly musing about compiling everything else, too. Sup Forums had prepared me very well for this moment, so I immediately realized what I should do. Turned out Gentoo is a legitimately great distro - I couldn't be happier with it.

At worst you'd have to rebuild a package and a new library to add a feature.

I'd say 90% of the time, the default use flags are safe and sane. You only need to do custom stuff if you're a no-network-manager hardliner like I am, for example. Or if you want to install things that have hardcoded 32 bit dependencies like Steam.

i'm not sure if anyone will help me with this or not but every time i've tried to install gentoo in the past i finally boot up to the desktop with the de and everything than i try to install firefox it says check emerge manpage and something about proper use flags what do guys

>what do guys
grow some brain cells