Is M.2 a meme? Is the speed even noticeable compared to a normal SSD?

Is M.2 a meme? Is the speed even noticeable compared to a normal SSD?

Other urls found in this thread:

arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2015/02/understanding-m-2-the-interface-that-will-speed-up-your-next-ssd/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yes, no

No, yes

Yes, yes

No, no

Maybe, maybe

Maybe, maybe

>Is M.2 a meme?
yes

>Is the speed even noticeable
dude, the sequential r/w speeds are fucking 5 times higher than a regular sata3 ssd but not worth the price unless you're constantly generating/transferring tens of terabytes between drives on a daily basis like myself, precisely the reason why they're meme

Yes, only on large file transfers

Its damn convenient though. Just snaps into a port on my mobo and takes up no space so I can use bays for other things.

No, yes. My shit boots up so fucking fast my monitor barely turns on quick enough. It’s not much of a price jump either. If you can get it I highly recommend it.

M.2 is x4 PCIe using a different form factor.

Maybe, I don't know.

there will be no boot time difference between an ssd unless you spend ages to align all the boot files in your drive on a sequential array in the correct order and specifically tell the operating system to follow that sequence on boot every time without changing anything

random access is also much faster on an optane

Are supercars a meme? Is the speed even noticable when driving to the corner store?

>lol ram is faster than persistent storage
Well, yeah. But you either need batteries or backup power to have a persistent ramdisk

M.2 and NVMe aren't the same thing. There are plenty of M.2 drives that are SATA-based and no faster than 2.5" SSDs. As for NVMe, it's useless unless you actually have a means of transferring data to and from it that quickly. Which means either having an extremely specific workload or two NVMe drives that you regularly copy large files between.

Windows 10 halfway does this in which the OS is booted in a way more akin to a hibernation boot where the OS is loaded more sequentially into ram instead of individual files

>implying optane is volatile
retarded

>There are plenty of M.2 drives that are SATA-based
They may be “not NVMe” and be something like AHCI over PCIe, but they literally can not be SATA as SATA is a bus specification and M.2 is literally just PCIe using a different connector and form factor.

which version? I've got win10 pro and I have compared boot times between my old shitty corsair ssd and the 960pro which were exactly the same

Not really a meme. They are where solid-state storage is headed. The industry is tossing 2.5 form-factor support in laptops.
It is much faster. Whether you'd notice or not depends on use case.

Where did I imply that? I literally said it is non-volatile whereas RAM is volatile and require power. What the hell are you on about?

Yes, Yes

The speed is a lot faster than SATA SSDs, but you barely notice it. SATA SSDs will bottleneck unless you run multiple M.2s. Also random IO is what makes SSDs powerful. Sequential writes are amazingly fast, but this is only worth it if you edit a lot of 4K videos.

No, no.

You won't notice much difference.
But it is a very convenient form factor so why the hell not use it?

I think M.2 drives are also more future proof for very thinner laptops.

yep, clearly retarded

ye,no

Also, I switched my 850 PRO for a 960 EVO. Mainly because of more space. I still run a 1 TB 850 EVO for gaymes.

I will probably get a 2 TB if they become affordable. So far there is no 2 TB EVO model unfortunately.

>optane
never used that but I'm guessing op meant regular m2 drives like the one in his pic. do you know how optane achieves high random speeds?

>being this salty after reading wrong and being corrected

>what are UHS-III SD cards

No, M.2. is a form factor. Nothing says it has to be connected via PCIe.

>The different connectors signify different M.2 "module keys." Each key exposes a different set of interfaces to each card—M.2 can connect directly to the PCI Express bus, but different pins can be used to connect to the USB 2.0 and 3.0 buses, SATA III, DisplayPort, and a variety of other less-prevalent storage buses. Cards with one notch at the bottom are keyed for one specific kind of connector. Cards with two notches can be used in two different kinds of connectors.
arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2015/02/understanding-m-2-the-interface-that-will-speed-up-your-next-ssd/

Get your facts right, buckaroo.

NVMe SSDs are cheaper than AHCI now anyway, so if your system supports it's a no-brainer.

Not the guy you’re responding to, but it uses a different storage technology called 3D xpoint which doesn’t have the same penalties as NAND cells.

>they literally can not be SATA as SATA is a bus specification and M.2 is literally just PCIe using a different connector and form factor.

Not true.

M.2 can do both SATA and a PCIe.

I stand corrected then. Thanks user.

I'm curious about M.2 (/Apple+M.2 adapter) external USB enclosures. Will an M.2 survive well in an exclosure without a fan? Do (cheap) RAID enclosures exist?

M.2/Macbook drives are going to be showing up on the used market in large numbers, so it'd seem like a good way to repurpose them.

Yes, I was mistaken. An other user was kind enough to correct me.

That is the thing even if you align all files, M.2 is not going to have much impact at all on boot time. I believe it's mostly CPU limited as Windows 10 might only use a single core to boot

2.5mm SSD has an 2.5mm heat-spreader case, which doesn't harm and make it doesn't throttle itself due to high temperate.
M.2 doesn't have that in it's form factor, you can put an aftermarket cooler but it may reach your PCB card due to shitty manufacturer design (behind the 16x for instance).
It's more compact anyway, so it's better, many SSDs doesn't need the entire 2.5mm space and those who does are probably planar, which is deprecated.
NVMe is also better, tho it doesn't benefit as much as it seems for most users.
I wouldn't say it's a meme, just something you shouldn't care much about it or pay considerably more, not right now - In the future, probably next decade it will be the default for everything most likely.

Optane is really a meme. Too expensive and zero advantage in daily use.
They are slightly more expensive here, but I would buy them again, I also like the small module size.

Shit.

I recently replaced the SSD in my laptop, and while NVMe was an option I got another AHCI drive because apparently the drivers are more stable / battery drain less, and I don't think I'd ever notice the speed.

>Too expensive and zero advantage in daily use.
>new tech is more expensive
Wow stop the presses!

M8, TLC is rated to 1000 cycles, shitty tier QLC is expected to last 100 cycles. Optane handle PB of data before shitting itself. That alone make it worth.
Well... not right now since it's expensive as shit, but 2nd consumer gen. maybe

Optane get way more random 4K blocks and could work full speed per big time lapses.

Underrated

>TLC is rated to 1000 cycles,
I'm not sure what shittly TLC you've been smoking.

This legit looks like the comment section on a reddit post please fuck off

I got a 256gb m.2 in my laptop and it boots twice as fast as my desktop which uses a sata since it's a small m.2 it was also cheaper than a sata ssd i havn't checked the r/w speeds though

I don't care about battery drain, I don't even have one. The drivers work.
Still a 850 EVO comes with five year warranty. Even MLC SSDs take petabytes of workload until they turn defective. For normal users who don't rewrite their SSDs every day its useless.

Optane won't be a viable thing until it costs the same as M.2 SSDs cost now.

If it's NVMe, then yes, if it's just a SATA bus one, you're only saving space and not increasing performance

It's noticeable if you install your games on it. Loading times are noticeably shorter. That said I don't game much these days (I still mod though).