So I just got an external hdd cause I had a gift card and saw it uses this fucked up looking cable, it's a seagate fwiw...

So I just got an external hdd cause I had a gift card and saw it uses this fucked up looking cable, it's a seagate fwiw..

Anyways is this the standard for usb 3.0 external hdd? Or is seagate just selling it with this goofy cable? I've literally never seen it before and had some kind of panic attack trying to figure out where to find one if I lose it

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/AmazonBasics-USB-3-0-Cable-Male/dp/B00NH13G5A
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's a standard design. If you look, the left part of the drive end is a standard micro-b, so you can just use one of those if you don't have a USB 3 port.

>the left part of the drive end is a standard micro-b, so you can just use one of those if you don't have a USB 3 port.

wow thanks for the tip! thats a much better situation than i imagined

USB is a pretty well put together standard.

It's standard, as you can see it's a micro usb + power

It's micro usb + 5 pin Super Speed extension. That's how most USB 3.0 cables maintain backwards compatibility.

Just tried it, it didnt work, it only mounted from plugging the dumb fancy one in

if its an SSD it should work, if its an HDD it might require more power, if you have one of those double type A adapters it might work, or just get a smaller HDD

Yeah it's a HDD

thinking about returning it now if those are my options

thanks tho

There aren't any other tricks I could do to read an under-powered drive is there?

Just read only mode or something?

>USB is a pretty well put together standard.
funniest thing i've read all week

Literally micro USB with an extra connector and pins bolted on.

Just shuck it and use it internally.

Some have USB control boards these days, which is disgusting.

>you will never be a shucked external hdd

>literally a standard prior to USBC

WOAH FUCKED UP WAT DO

jesus man. amazon.com/AmazonBasics-USB-3-0-Cable-Male/dp/B00NH13G5A

It's standard I think. My external HDD uses the same cable.

I never even considered this. That's pretty stupid.

What's even the point of an external HDD these days vs internal storage and cloud storage?

Normie bait
Easy transport of large data
Kinda rendered pointless by multiple terabyte SSDs for laptops, but what can you do

just get an aftermarket case, take out the drive, and put it into that.

buying external HDs is (and has always been) a sucker's move.

Yes it’s standard. On the inside it is a normal HDD, and there is a small circuit board that plugs into the SATA and power plugs and that funny little plug sits on the other end. I think the design is older than usb3.0 and they just stuck with the design and threw a new cable in instead of changing the base board designs to usb3.0

I wouldn’t worry about losing the cable. For about 20-25$ you can just get a new enclosure if anything goes wrong.

For people with laptops or for file sharing in multiple devices

followup-- i was wrong it worked, the micro usb cable worked perfectly as an alternative

my usb hub is just a piece of crap

thanks again

It's standard. My note 3 has one

This is the first time you're seeing it?
>>poor fag detected!

These questions belong in Sup Forumssqt
S**e goes in all fields

you could probably get a few of those cables really cheap literally every 2.5 hdd enclosure uses them unlees it newer and uses usb c