What's the go-to wireless router nowadays?

What's the go-to wireless router nowadays?

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704274&ignorebbr=1
github.com/apollo-ng/luci-theme-darkmatter
amazon.com/Mikrotik-Routerboard-RB2011UiAS-2HnD-Port-Ethernet/dp/B00BGIXOHQ/
ubnt.com/airfiber/airfiber/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

TP-Link

wrt54gl

asus rt-ac68

No idea since I don't use consumer "routers" anymore. pf Sense running on server hardware, dedicated access points for WLAN. Having a single point of failure is never a good idea. I do have a lot of old WRT54Gs though. All are running DD-WRT they are okay but probably not up to the task now a days. Just my two cents.

airstation just werks

the shit that comcast gives you.

wrt-1900acs here, currently stock firmware but planning to try lede, openwrt is cool anyway

Consumer router: LEDE firmware + 802.11AC 5GHZ 60hz dualband hardware.

DIY: Pfsense and a x86/_64 board with dual Gib/s NICs

>being a poorfag

G1100, hands down

Not to try to hijack this thread but I have a similar question to OP
Is this a good wifi adapter? newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704274&ignorebbr=1

x4s nighthawk

Get an r6700 nighthawk and be done with it

TP Link AC 1750

This for cheap tmobile refurbs

Zyxel Prosumer, e.g. ZyWall USG20W. Updates provided for years after units are discontinued. Very high quality kit, excellent RF range and performance.

Optiplex 990 dual gigabit nics running pfsense
Netgear GS105 Switch
Using an old TP Link WR1043ND for WAP (might look into something else?)

A pfsense box or a ubiquiti edgerouter if you just want something small to set and forget.

Google Wifi (mesh networking)

UniFi AP AC

Exactly, modded two back to stock firmware. 60$ a pop

Nigga EdgeRouters aint wireless

Kane lives!

Someone explain why i shouldnt just use the cheap routers from walmart?

B O T N E T

>UniFi AP AC
>AP
>Access Point
>Thinks it's a router

then get any of the other 5 GHz wifi mesh solutions

Because you have no control over it and walmart very little incentive to care about pushing updates

>I purchase enterprise hardware and install tedious bullshit on it so I can browse dank memes with less uptime than the guy who just ignores that crap

Routeros devices are nice

I have the wrt3200 and am running LEDE on it. It's pretty nice. I do recommend installing a decent theme though. Darkmatter is a nice one: github.com/apollo-ng/luci-theme-darkmatter

Thats the only reason? Updates?

I use a Netgear D7000.

tomato'd E3200 :^)

The Think Penguin TPE-R1100
Ships with LibreCMC and has the RYF cert.

They're making a bigger one with 4 ports that I can only hope will usurp the ubiquity of the now ancient and defunct Linksys WRTs, but I've no idea when it will actually be out.

This.

No, as I said, you don't have any control over it. To the greatest degree possible I want to know what goes on in my home network and I want to know that my router isn't spying on me or have backdoors in it. This shouldn't be news on Sup Forums.

My college condo setup with eBayed parts:

Cuckcast 100/5 WAN > $50 SB6190 cable modem > $0 Sophos UTM recycled PC build (IDS, Firewall, DHCP router) > $70 Unify 8 Port PoE Switch > $50 Unifi AP-AC Lites

I may swap out the Sophos UTM for a Unify Security Gateway Router + Cloud Key to complete my $UBNT shill stack, but my current DIY Linux router is quite overpowered with a 50/2 VPN connection

>The cities of Nod will rise!

Seriously though, are these things actually good and worth the price?

I got a Xiaomi MI-3 WiFI router flashed with a custom firmware. It's incredibly cheap considering its features. The drawback is that it only has 2 fast ethernet ports.

>Sophos UTM
I used to run this back in the day. It was called "Astaro" until Sophos bought it and changed the name. I liked it a lot. You could print out PDF reports of websites visited etc

(not him)
Nice theme my dude.

I also love that LEDE with the Luci GUI allowed me to use a html only browser to interface with my router.
It required js before to even login...

Managed to snag a WRT32x new for 75 dollars. It's an alright router, but the interface is absolute garbage for a router which is usually 300. My old 100 dollar ASUS router had many other options, including better QoS control. Only keeping this piece of junk because it was such a good deal.

This, B1 is best. C1 CANNOT run anything but stock firmware.

This, just keep in mind it has 800Mhz CPU whereas b1 has 1000Mhz, CPU. Good luck modding, I think newer ones can't be.

whatever's on the shelf at Bestgoy

Same, great router. Also got it for like $75 refurbished. Blocked Linksys IPs with my Pi-Hole and it's good to go. Might try ddwrt sooner or later

amazon.com/Mikrotik-Routerboard-RB2011UiAS-2HnD-Port-Ethernet/dp/B00BGIXOHQ/

or an asus

this one has to fail me yet

tp-link archer 1900

Unifi is top tier.

Over rated
Insecure
Over priced
Cpu cant even handle high speed qos

Get on my level.
ubnt.com/airfiber/airfiber/

You guys will never understand the joy of set up a wireless ESSID with the name of "gas the kikes" and every AC device list it in a 100km area.

How many units do you need to get actual range and signal?

It's for long rage link only. I work in a ISP. We use it in places where is not worth cable with fiber...

Also, i am not stupid to set up one of those in my home. This literally gives you cancer.

>not pointing the cancer rays at the neighbors dog who barks at 3am
>current year

Do you know what is the difference of an SOHO access point and a micro wave machine? Both work at 2.4Ghz, but the power of one is way stronger...
I don't want to cook my neighbor dog. I am not Asian...

Also, i have a deep sleep problem. A pack of niggers could break into my house and beat me with pieces of wood take from my inner walls, and i would still have nice dreams.

>needing a Google account to set up your wifi

I've got a Netgear R7000 running AdvancedTomato.

Looks like Tomato is dead in the water, so AdvancedTomato is equally fucked. I go to download LEDE, and they won't support it because they won't support anything that isn't OSS and the Wireless drivers are blobs..

Fucking rageface.

>poorfag
lol what, wrt54gl is totally the best and most awesome router on the market as long as it's 2005. Of course.. it's not. Wireless-G isn't exactly acceptable these days.

I actually still have a stack of'em, like 8 or 10 or something like that. Made quite the mesh network back in the day.

That's a good point, it is annoying that you have to buy an over-priced "router" just to get a good AP these days.

There's no reason to buy anything more than a cheap router from walmart as long as you're in a small house or apartment and it's just you. If you have a family and a big house and lots of guests all the time then it's somewhat different.

Truth is that the expensive routers/APs have features you'll never use - like 3 or 4 wireless AC streams. Phones and laptops are generally limited to just one, max two.

You also use a ubiquiti access point
All in one solutions always lack somewhere

Nice meme.

>The Norton "Burns when IP" Core Router 2018

more antennas = more channels = more throughput

I was very close to buying one of those today, too. Then I found that out.

It's an excellent router, I like it a lot. The restriction on the drivers is a bastard though. AdvancedTomato is ROCK steady. Only thing that worries me is it still hasn't received an update to path KRACKAttack.

Shibby is waiting on a release from Netgear/Asus to fix it. Sucks.

the absolute entry tier level is the wdr 3600 with open wrt

What about the ones that you can buy from your ISP providers? I was gonna default to that since I live by myself but I've been debating getting an ac band router

> buying (((aiw))) router...

OP, you should just buy a high-end AP for $100-$150 like ubiquiti models mentioned, then figure out how beefy a router you actually need (e.g., up to 1Gb w/ DPI, VPN, etc.) and buy/build that separately.

Biggest problem with AIWs is that that beyond costing too much for what you get, they almost never to a decent job of either AP or routing duty.

This is a very nice and smart setup

Honestly top tier and one of the biggest bang for the dollar. Good job

> everyone else in this thread buying consumer grade all-in-ones just to install third party firmware in 2017/2018 LEL, fucking normie plebs, this ain’t the 2000s anymore

Depends where you live.

I picked up my R7000 for $200 AUD.

The AC-Light AP is $120 to buy in Aus. Add to that that even a chink machine capable of the routing with linux is ~$300 and I'd still need a POE switch...

Also, our power costs about 2.2x yours. There are so many more considerations to this than you've accounted for.

Avoid Linksys routers, they're shit since belkin took over, they are they're nothing like the old wrts

They completely lie about the """ open source compatible """ you'll be waiting 6 months from release for the open source WiFi driver to support the hardware.

Nexx WT3020, $15

If you have the cash
>Ubiquiti USG+AC Pro+switch 8

If you have some money
>Linksys EA6300v1/6400/6500

If you don't have money
>Tenda AC9/AC15

Literally gives you cancer? How so?
I get their for p2p wireless, shame theirs no wider version

fucking radiation numbnuts. you don't put a fucking radio antenae that strong in your living room, just like you don't setup a tree house in a fucking electrical tower.

look for something that supports ac3900 if you're buying new and have money to burn. i wouldn't bother with mesh, that seems like a meme for people who can't figure out how to setup repeaters on their own (literally just plug in an old router and turn off dhcp).

*ac5000

>wireless router
There's no such thing. Most consumer grade "routers" are actually a bundle consisting of an unmanaged switch, router and access point.

For any setup you intend on using for any longer period of time it almost always better to buy the above listed components separately. It's generally speaking slightly more expensive but allows significantly greater flexibility and often the separate components are just plain better since they're not directly aimed towards the main bulk of the consumer market (people who don't care as long as things work).

Why are people buying overpriced and underpowered consumer grade routers and recommending them in this thread? That’s literally dumb money

All you need is a separate router, switch, and wireless ap. The devices/appliances are segregated and more secured. The power increase is only 20W - 80W+ which is extremely negligible. That’s less than 2 incandescent lightbulbs - and the cost savings pays back within a couple years in terms of performance/watt/$

Radiation of what? Hoe is that ((cancer causing))?

KRACK is a client attack, not AP.

Bit more complex than that.

There were some key/nonce re-use vulnerabilities discovered as a result of KRACK, and if you're using 802.11r or 802.11k, then you're definitely vulnerable.

even non ionized radiation can produce free radicals which creates increased cell turnover

I use a EA2000 that I found at a thrift store for $5. Has gigabit and supports LEDE without having to do a complex flashing procedure so I'm happy with it.

E2000 whoops