/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for noobies:
youtu.be/_2J5phyd9J4

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

seiko-prospex.com/sea/srpc35k1
jmechanix.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

That is a very satisfying webm

After 24 hours, timekeeping is mostly unchanged but amplitude is even worse. I suspect that's just something that needs a cleaning and oiling though. Biggest concern remains the broken hand winding.

Wednesday I'll probably take it to the mall jeweler to see if they can pop off the back to confirm the serial. Also lol 125.

Man that watch is sexy. Hope a service helps it out. I need to call my watchmaker and ask him if he's ever worked on any of this as I think a 42.1 HF Chronometer is an eventuality for my collection, as a result of you.

>I'll probably take it to the mall jeweler

Makes sense. The 42.1 is pretty much superior in every way except historical significance. I think at this point I'm pretty committed to not returning it if the serial matches the papers given the condition of the dial and case.

Well my watchmaker is across the country and I can't get the back off. As far as I know there are no front loading 32a cases and it looks like a snap back case so maybe somebody with some more experience will do a bit better.

we'd probably just a generic crystal in there, and charge you for the crystal and the service. We might have a genuine accutron crystals, I have to check.

but...do you really need us to do that? placing am acrylic crystal with a tension ring isn't too difficult for any watchmaker.

a service will likely fix the amplitude. what do you mean you can't handwind?

You might as well just wait until you can take it to a real watchmaker m8.

The crown is very, very tight. I can kind of force it to turn, but it feels like something that really doesn't want to move. I haven't done so. Setting the time works fine and the automatic winding seems to work fine.

I just need the serial before the eBay return window expires. The place I'm taking it sells MB&f, jlc, Rolex, chopard, AP, etc - I wouldn't trust them to service a specialty watch from the sixties but they can probably open it.

>The 42.1 is pretty much superior in every way except historical significance.
I totally understand why you'd prefer the 32a and why you'd want to keep that one, specifically. For me, I really want the hacking on the 42.1 as non-hacking movements trigger my 'tism (which is the only reason I don't already own a Lord Marvel 36000). My only issue is the lack of information about these watches online. Figure I might as well ask my watchmaker if he's ever worked on any before I start seriously hunting.

The manual that came with the 32a specifically mentions back-hacking as a way to synchronize the watch, though I wasn't able to successfully perform it - I guess could be related to the issue with handwinding.

Come to think of it the manual might be interesting to get pictures of. I'll get some tomorrow.

The upside to the gp not yet being in wearable condition is that I've gotten to enjoy the new citizen more, at least.

a little grease on the stem won't hurt, but I don't know for sure. I've dealt with plenty of automatics with recessed crowns that really aren't meant to be hand wound. Maybe this is one of them.

Send it to me for a service. I would love to work on it.

I'll start with my watchmaker or GP Switzerland but I appreciate the offer user

That's a neat looking watch too man. Oddly enough I've been quite enamored with this AE1200 I bought on BF. I'm finding it vastly more comfortable on the wrist than I find square g-shocks, and the one I picked up happens to have very good contrast on the LCD.

Posting new acquisitions I guess

What do you know about that watch? It looks neat, but I'm totally unfamiliar with the brand and model.

Anybody can recommend a watchmaker in Netherlands? Mainly for vintage Japanese watches.

I had a couple of those pieces of shit. The Spaceview is pure trash.

It's an fhf 96-4 movement caused by bucherer. Bucherer was (and still is, though less) one of the biggest distributor of jewelry in the world (and Rolex in particular, in fact). Fhf was, like ESA and A. Schild, a movement maker that was caused by lots of companies; it eventually was absorbed by ETA. This particular movement is adjusted to 3 positions. The case is 10um gold plate and in pretty good condition aside from the crown; was a random find a thrift store for $95. Very happy with it. Keeps decent time (+/-15 or 20 spd in six positions at full wind) for what it is. Strap might be original; it is very worn. My guess for the date is 50s or early 60s but I'm not really sure. You can barely make out the FHF ST mark under the balance wheel (up and to the right of the pivot).

Okay.

(You)

*Cased, obviously

The dial has a sunburst I haven't captured well but is in great condition in person.

Cool, thanks for the info.

hi canadian

new "mini turtle" from seiko

>buy accutron
>terrible coil whine 24/7

Does it have a bracelet?

yea

seiko-prospex.com/sea/srpc35k1

If I have an Accutron I inherited from my grandpa that is running really slow, does anybody know a reputable repair shop that can service it?

I can't tell you of any shops, but I can tell you that if it's a tuning fork Accutron then I hope you're ready to get fucked in servicing costs.

Yeah I’m pretty much expecting that unfortunately. Coils have already been replaced AFAIK too.

There's Larry at palmer's jewelry, he used to be the service manager at bulova back when they were still doing 214s. It'll run you about $300, give or take. There's also the user who works at this shop who'll service one, you can email him to ask how much a service is.

jmechanix.com/

thanks, will look into these.

>2017-11-27
>tfw correct date format

Blue one is quite nice, I still don't like the case shape though.

Wrong pic, sorry.

Quartz watches are the best

Oh wait...

Does anybody have this? SPB051.

dress watch under 200 that isn't orient?

Literally thousands of options.

look for vintage or NOS swiss 17 jewels watches on Ebay, like Cortebert, Doxa, Dugena, Omikron, shit like that. Get it fully serviced and timegraphed for 50$

did anybody really dive this deep with watches on?

large diver watches with those massive dials look really stupid without air bottles on your back.

every time i see anybody with them I wonder what sea did they just got out, do they really dive in therir blue jeans and shitty shirt with sauce stains?

try wearing diving mask too, they are the new hot shit.

FFFFUUUUUCCKKK

I just bought a SKX. This one looks so much better

fuck you

thank you

Poljot de luxe

>did anybody really dive this deep with watches on?

of couse fucking not. the world record is like 300m, and you have to start breathing goofy shit like heliox or trimex below 60m to avoid oxygen toxicity.
the obscene claimed limits are to give divers and snorkelers comfort that their expensive watches are safe at a normal 20m or 30m dive.

No it's just for fun to see who can go the deepest

Didnt they also attach a wristwatch on the Soviet Venus project of was that just one of my silly /wt/ dreams

Strap recommendations for my Alpinist?

I don't like a stock croco but its hard to find something that matches the look.

See

Aliexpress tritium watches? Yay or nay?
Anybody got one? How's the quality?

>List of things that are different
>>The case, lugs, hands, crown, crown guards, indices, bezel, font and I'm sure other things are all different
>All of those are key design features. What else is the same. The basic case shape is completely different too which is what your trying to bait with but then say "basic" as a catch all for all the differences.

Christ man, ask Rolex if their basic designs are still the same.

Same shit, bro
Didn't buy the Turtle because of the size.
Really angry now

>in line
>the same
Jesus you shat up the last thread don't do it to this one

I narrowed down choices for mine to 3 straps in last thread
Waiting for the Ranger now.

"Same basic design" =/= "the same".

"Same basic design" = "firmly in line with the original basic design".

>"Same basic design" =/= "the same".
Correct.
>"Same basic design" = "firmly in line with the original basic design".
You didn't say that and they didn't say that. Stop making shit up, shut up, and stop shitting up the thread with your made up bullshit. Like last thread this is the last (You) will get from me this thread.

Just realised that's probably the same swatchcuck that thinks the El Primero is a shitter watch with no history or histological relevance.

>You didn't say that and they didn't say that.
What do you think they meant by "the latest generation Submariner (Date) are firmly in line with the original 1953 model"?

I'm close to buying my first sea dweller. Is the 116600 a good choice? It was the last one that was made without a Cyclops right?

nice fake submariner

For starters that's a post about the GMT Master and yours is about a sub. Your word on following trains of thought is retarded.
And I think they mean what they said, same line means the same purpose to be the best diver they can make. It is their diver line of watches after all.
If you read their words the first lines says redesigned case which is talking about the design and how it has changed.
This is over now you have proven yourself wrong yourself, you can stop shitting up the thread, good day to you.

>For starters that's a post about the GMT Master and yours is about a sub.
The discussion was about Rolex continuing the same basic designs.
And the modern GMT Master is also still the same basic design as the original.

>same line means the same purpose to be the best diver they can make.
The very first line talks about the iconic design of the original.
"Firmly in line with the original" refers to that.

>If you read their words the first lines says redesigned case
SUBTLY redesigned.
The whole point of adding that "subtly" is to show that the basic design is still the same.

Does anyone here know anything about solar divers?

I can't find a flaw, this one looks better than an Omega or Rolex Submariner, runs for 20 years without service and does not need to be wound every day.

What's wrong with it?

>Keeps decent time (+/-15 or 20 spd
>decent time
lol

this is what mechanicalfags actually believe

mfw I have 80's timex titanium but friend gave me Shitty festina giant fagwatch and I have to wear it and sometimes I think about delibaretly ''''accidently''' smashing this piece of shit and get back to wearing timex.

>did anybody really dive this deep with watches on?
are you retarded? that's over 10,000 feet

you can't dive that far

Got this a couple weeks ago

Oh god, please tell me that's a rep.

How can I install a helium escape valve on my SNE437?

I don't want the dial to explode during decompression

why?

Do you literally spend weeks in a pressure chamber?

Look at the fucking paint on the second hand, Jesus!

I don't see an issue. Lots of glare in that photo maybe.

It's legit, from Joma

>Do you literally spend weeks in a pressure chamber?
That's what a helium valve is for

how do I install one?

Aren't you well payed enough to afford a watch with a helium valve in the first place then?

Either way I'm not even sure you can buy separate escape valves, but if you could you need to machine a threaded hole into the case and just screw that fucker in.

oh I can machine a hole, I have a tap and die

thanks ill can look into it

Alright, have fun turning your 200m diver into a splashproof watch with an escape valve, since the thread needs to be precise as fuck.

>Alright, have fun turning your 200m diver into a splashproof watch with an escape valve, since the thread needs to be precise as fuck.
I'll go slow and use loctight

You're not fucking serious, are you?

why not, I've drilled and tapped things before

including engine blocks

He's probably bored out if his mind in that cramped shitty doghouse in the middle of his two week tour

So I almost pulled the trigger on an outomatic diver yesterday, but then I remembered I come in regular contact with strong magnets at work - both fixed magnets and induced em fields. I can wear what i want and would like to sport a nice watch
currently i wear either my titanium pathfinder, a solar pulsar, or a my classic silver casio

now, how bad will a magnetic field fuck up an automatic movement? say,a seiko 5 variant in a stainless case?
would a bronze cased watch be any less susceptible?

pic related, an antimagnetic watch i cannot yet afford

don't move your arm too much. Those pieces of shit break if the wind blows hard. pure trash

Here's my watch running Asteroid OS and a watchface I made myself!

Get an automatic with a silicon hairspring, like an in-house Tudor or an Omega with the master coaxial.

They're about half the price of that Panerai new.

I'm pretty sure magnets will still fuck up the other parts

Just tell him to go quartz

>I'm pretty sure magnets will still fuck up the other parts
Won't affect timekeeping.

The Omega sm300 for instance is rated at 18k Gauss. You could hold it in an MRI machine and it wouldn't harm the timekeeping.

The in-house movements at Damasko also have silicon hairsprings, if you can stand the look of those watches.

Helium valves are a meme

Get an old Soviet Amphibia with an antimagnetic shield.