Is information systems a meme degree or not? On the lower level there's coding and there isn't as much math as CS...

Is information systems a meme degree or not? On the lower level there's coding and there isn't as much math as CS, but are the job prospects as good as a CS degree?

Unironically a brainlet degree for CS dropouts. A CS major can do everything an IS major can but not vice versa.

Yes. I went from android dev to manger in 3 years after college because IS teaches business principles and how to speak biz and tech. Don’t be a sperg and you can land a great career

True CS is great for spergrammers that can actually build stable non-pajeet code. They typically lack business or managerial skills. There are some, but rare. Vice versa

IS is over saturated with low iq’d gamers, neckbeards, and smelly fatties, that never made the cut or had the motivation. Complete disgusting sausage fest

In our CS department, we got the standard middle class white bros, pajeet bros, cute chinese girls and bros, and the cute hipster girls who fell for the “girls coding” meme. Gender ratio is 70/30 Male:Female (quite an improvement over the recent years desu)

>A CS major can do everything an IS major can
this isnt entirely accurate, but i agree with the general sentiment.
IS is to CS as electronics technology is to EE.
IS degrees are more like vocational training. essentially theyll teach you things that you should be learning on the job or on your own time.
IS is to CS as electronics technology is to EE.

That may be true, but recruiters and managers don't know the difference, and that's all that matters.

It really depends on the particular university you are attending.

Being able to do the work is far more important. I don't care what IT/CS/IS/EE/MBA/SJW degree you have, I care if you can pass the interview test.

They do when you aren't able to deliver. Unless you want a life of desperately hoping from job to job every four months before employers get sick if your incompetence, betting that managers and hr don't know the difference is a bad deal.

>I care if you can pass the interview test.
and after that I care about any related positions previously held OR the specific subjects you took and the subjects you did well in.

Cs is a brainlet degree for math drops

I think so. I'm a philosophy major who works as a Linux Admin at my school. All my peers are CS or EECS majors and they're better at programming than me, but I still hold my own. In fact, I usually find the root of a problem quicker/faster than they do.

So what's the solution for someone who wants to go to school to get a IT degree but can't hack the math? I do enjoy programming but I literally can't pass even the lower math courses
Damn this girl is fucking hot, got a name or moar?

weird cuz at my uni its the exact opposite

>asking Sup Forums about job prospects
90% of the people here are unemployed

I think in general, degrees in shit like that won't get you that far. I feel like it would limit your career choices and leave you in a dead end. This is my opinion, I'm still in school studying as an electrical engineer. At least with a """real degree""" your options are more open and allow for more growth(?)

St peach she is a cam whore on twitch

Who's the girl OP?

In terms of math skillz to max $$
Tier 1 EE patricians that also utilize statistical quant finance algo skillz
Tier 1.5 CS normies and active daytrader/flash trader
Tier 3 everything else and their wagecuck jobs

Honestly get your bachelors and go in as a Navy IT/Logistics officer, you will max out your potential and work on multi-billion dollar warships. Cool job but long draining hours... very worth it for people with low math skillz and helps build useful admin skills

Stpeach is the girl

I got a good job as a systems analyst with an IS degree, but I want to go back for engineering later. This will help me get a stable life so I can further it with an engineering degree

No, no

Nice does she get naked? She's actually on right now

And what are you saying? If I can't hack it in CS I'm fucked? I don't want to join the military I'm too old for that shit anyway(25)

I got into IT because I enjoyed the programming aspects and when I tried out the higher level maths, I did well. I did some Calc III stuff to see if I could hack it and managed fine, but somehow when I took Calc II I failed it, so I stuck with IT because even though I managed the higher maths, that class was obviously a requirement. I'm doing ok right now, but it's got a lot of competition

Philosophy minor I hear really compliments a CS major I hear .. I'm torn between a Phil minor or a physics minor (CS major)

But in response to OP ... everyone in this thread is right. This semester I'm taking the first "higher level" CS class and a solid 70% of the class has dropped and switched to ITS major. Some stubborn ones are still here rocking a 30% average but the majority who dropped / are currently doing poorly have shit math skills, pajeets, or as everyone else has described neckbeard gamers who think they can problem because they've made a few python scripts and have used rpg maker.

I've heard that the prof's goal is to weed out the people described in the thread in this class. Most dropped as soon as the professor said Linux was required for the class.

1.not if you don't have someone already willing to give you a job
2.pfffff

Do they switch because of the programming or the math? For me it's mainly the math, the programming I'm willing to learn. I've been stuck at the lower level math course for awhile now. I'm heading back into school this coming semester and I really don't know what to do.

The only other option besides this and CS is a cybersecurity major and software development major, and they both seem like even bigger meme degrees. At least with IS there are schools i can transfer too for a BS or even switch back to CS if I want

My advice is to focus solely on the math for the semester. Most drop it cause of programming, the math isn't the issue. What I mean by that is you don't actually use a lot of math in the programming itself, but you need to take math classes. Get through those classes by focusing entirely on them, and DON'T TAKE TOO MANY AT ONCE. I killed myself one term taking Calc, Chem, Physics and Data Structures all at once.

Literally every school does that.

Math is a brainlet degree for physics drops

Naturally I don't talk to too many people in the class but in the group I do talk to its 50/50. I've taken up to Calc 3 personally so I haven't run into anything I have never seen before but this one individual who is failing calc 1 is failing miserably in CS too.

I would say if you can take some math classes prior to taking a CS class to catch up you would really benefit. It's not so much of "you need to know these mathematical concepts to be good at programming" as much as the it's about the logic and understanding said logic behind the math that goes hand in hand with programming

I'm not a good programmer by any means at this point (like I said I'm only really in the first "higher level" CS class ) so some other user who is more experienced than me can probably correct/ confirm my observation

go to advice, you fucking nigger

I'm still way behind math wise. I think it's like the intro math and another one after that before I can take cal, then I have to take cal II and cal III before I can get my AS. I'm planning on getting a shitty, cheap edition of the textbook and working on it for the next month before taking the class again. But I'm still trying to bush up on my programming skills right now. I'm trying to work through the textbook and while it's not too difficult to pick it back up, I'm still worried about the math.
I've checked the catalogs of the schools near me, and only the engineering school has a software development BS. The rest are either CS or IS/IT. I really just want to get a degree and get out of school already

>cs is programming

Calc II for engineers is harder than III and IV. I've confirmed this with practically everyone who's gotten through calc II.

>TFW I'm an IS major b̶e̶c̶a̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶I̶ ̶d̶o̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶w̶a̶n̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶d̶e̶a̶l̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶u̶n̶i̶'̶s̶ ̶f̶u̶c̶k̶a̶w̶f̶u̶l̶ ̶P̶h̶y̶s̶/̶m̶a̶t̶h̶ ̶d̶e̶p̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶h̶i̶r̶e̶s̶ ̶r̶e̶s̶e̶a̶r̶c̶h̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶n̶o̶ ̶e̶d̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶e̶x̶p̶e̶r̶i̶e̶n̶c̶e̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶l̶e̶c̶t̶u̶r̶e̶s̶,̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶s̶p̶e̶n̶d̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶s̶e̶n̶i̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶u̶i̶t̶o̶n̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶"̶h̶e̶r̶e̶'̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶r̶u̶b̶r̶i̶c̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶a̶ ̶s̶e̶m̶e̶s̶t̶e̶r̶-̶l̶o̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶j̶e̶c̶t̶,̶ ̶g̶o̶ ̶d̶o̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶b̶y̶ ̶d̶e̶c̶e̶m̶b̶e̶r̶ ̶:̶^̶)̶"̶ ̶c̶o̶u̶r̶s̶e̶s̶ for this exact reason but don't want to admit it to myself

>calc iv

What the fuck

*'education' as in teaching experience

Admittingly I never had a issue with the CS classes, but this was like three years ago and I only took the first two courses. I still have the upper levels to go. How hard is data structures? I was planning on taking that this semester but I'm trying to get as much of the basics down as I can. But the math was what fucked it up for me. I could not get pass the intro class at all. The last time I took it I almost had it, but fucked up the final and the test before that and the teacher was a bitch and wouldnt work with me. I don't know how I would do this time honesty. The school I go to now I'm pretty sure uses word problems which I have NEVER been able to do well on whatsoever

B A C K S E A T

>tfw dropped from CS into theory CS because too dumb for CS
>tfw only person in the CS umbrella with zero drive or care for any salary or job after graduation

just learn the math user, calc really isnt that hard

you were probably lead to believe you suck at math cuz your high school math programs sucked dick

OP here

Since this thread is pretty active I am wondering something; should I take the time to learn linux while I'm at it or should I just focus on my classes and learning c++? That's what the school is using

I just worry about getting stuck again and falling back into the same trap/mistake I made the last time I tried getting a CS degree. And yeah that was definitely the issue I left HS knowing jack shit math wise. I've made progress but I'm still stressed out I'm gonna end up failing the course again and then it's like shit, what do I do now I can't pass this fucking class that I NEED and I still need a shitload of other classes that I can't take because I need this one first.

Truthfully unless the place specifically says Computer Science/Engineering only (i've seen only Nvidia and some Intel listings have this) then really it doesn't matter to much. Most jobs I see just want experience and if you actually know your shit more than anything else when it comes to coding. I did CS at Uni of Arizona and was only required to take Cal 1 and 2 and some basic science courses (no Physics or anything) and was getting 60-70k offers in the field..... But because the army paid for my college I'm now serving 4 years. Yay!

Alternatively, you could just Minor in Computer science. The prereqs for CS classes are typically just College Alg and Cal 1. A friend did this as an English major and he works for Cisco as a software engineer or something.

Also, a lot of colleges offer a BA in Computer Science, which may only require Cal 1 so that's an option as well. It's great if you want to dual minor. I know at UofA you HAD to minor (or DM) in something with the BA.

A lot of schools require Physics and Calculus beyond a second semester for their CS programs, is why I brought it up.

thats pretty dumb
mine didnt even require calculus 1.

that's backwards my man

Yeah but cisco is not a quality company like amazon or google.

weird, I needed calc 2

So I should go for the CS degree no matter what? I just counted, I have 14 classes JUST for the AS, but only four of them are CS classes. How am I suppose to spread that out? I'd have to take seven math and physics classes.

60-70k is pretty good for AZ. That's like 500k in ny/cali

testing test

Other way around friend.

Can someone please answer my question. Should I spread out the CS stuff or knock it out all at once?

Wrong I had to switch to cs because I fucking failed physics. It was that brutal of a raping.

please dont post my gf on this board!

he's saying that physics (which your stupid ass failed) is below math.
and he's probably right. any of these fields have indefinitely high skill ceilings, but the floors get quite a bit higher for physics and math.

wow thats a tiny ass
i was more stacked than that as a ten year old boy

Doesn't matter, a pajeet or a fat feminist will get the job.

I've been debating what to major in, plan to go back to college next year (currently have some community college gen ed credits for pre-reqs).

I'm between computer science and finance/accounting right now but I'm scared of being too much of a brainlet for comp sci. Should I learn to code before going to college? Any tips?

kik?

PLS RESPOND.