Why the hell are there no engineering jobs in Canada...

Why the hell are there no engineering jobs in Canada? I graduated with a 90% average from the best program in my province a year ago and NOBODY has even interviewed me.

Nobody in the states responds, nobody in Canada responds. I'm sick of being a burden on my parents. Why is the market so fucked.

What type of engineering?

Not him, but mechatronics, in the same boat.

Well, in this case, sounds like you're a jack of all trades, master of none. Only an undergrad isn't ever a master at anything, so that x1000. You were probably sold on being more employable with a wide variety of skills.

Pretty much, turns out that's not true.
I missed the deadline for PhD/Masters stuff this year, so I'm going to try to pick up whatever work I can and apply next round, hoping to pick it up from there.

>PhD/Masters

This sounds like a terrible idea unless your employer will pay for your Masters. You'll just end up unemployable since your masters commands a high salary, but lack of experience means no one wants to look at you.

What the hell do I do then?

Do you ever go to job fairs/conferences and try networking?

You could quite easily transition to software development/engineering, which is a lot more in demand. If you have a bachelors degree in engineering or science it's enough you get your foot in the door. Time to teach yourself some C, C++, Java and SQL.

Yes, a ton, nobody seems interested.

They just keep hiring their friends/chinese. All the jobs are in seattle and nobody wants to pay for the visa of someone with no experience.

And nobody wants to hire someone with a 1.5 year gap.

I think I'm just depressed now.
Is that really possible?

It's possible if you have the mental fortitude to self-teach and stay up long nights. You also need to learn about data structures, algorithms and some discrete math if you haven't already. It's all available on the net.

Would I still have a chance with a gap on my resume though?

Build a portfolio with github. When an employer asks about the gap, just tell them you wanted to expand your skillset to be more competitive in the current market, so you took some time to learn programming. The portfolio proves you're not full of shit.

Guess it's the best I can do, even if the github only starts now.

I'm not terrible at coding, but it's engineer code. I've always wanted to learn AI/machine learning, I guess now's a good time.

>AI/machine learning

If you wanna increase your chances of a job, pick something that's less of a meme. Something where demand is high for entry level employees, like webdev or databases. AI positions are few, and go to rockstart PhDs.

dont give up mate.
get an IT job and work on your portfolio in the interim. if youre a MechE, then you should have a foothold in a number of areas, making self-study pretty feasible.
youll be self-studying a lot in grad school (if thats the plan) get a head start! or fuck companies and academia! work on your own project, try to meet some likeminded people and make something happen.

additionally, get laid.

I mean, could I become a rockstar PhD? Do CS PhD programs require a CS undergrad?

whining is not technology

>You were probably sold on being more employable with a wide variety of skills.
That really only applies to certain industries.
In most high volume manufacturing, having more skill sets is very valuable.

If your job has a specific required skills or duties, being able to do more things won't help.
-Aerospace fag

It's possible to do a CS PhD with an engineering undergrad, but I'm guessing you're in your early-mid 20's. If you think you're suddenly going to become a fucking genius PhD...come on man, be realistic. You really think that's gonna happen? Might as well try and play for the NHL. PhDs are a terrible investment unless your employer wants you to get one, or you're the 1% of the 1%. There are far more PhDs than positions in academia, and a PhD without experience is worth jack shit. You'll be doing a post-doc in your mid 30's before you get anywhere. Never mind that a PhD is known to be a brutal fucking grind.

yes. not necessarily.

pick up some textbooks on theory of computation and ai/machine learning.
machine learning is taught in a lot of EE departments anyway.
youre plenty equipped to make contact with the field.

Is a phd ever worth it if i dont want to become a CS professor

also stop listening to Sup Forums
everyone here is more or less depressed and will make fields of study with absolutely amazing prospects sound terrible.
ffs there are people out there with anthropology and art history degrees making life work out for themselves.
if youre not interested in any of this shit, do something else. youre not bound by law to take a position with the exact same name as your degree.
at the end of the day, you have a marketable set of skills that you can leverage any way you like.
stop bitching and do something that you enjoy.
god i hate this forum.

This is very motivational. Thank you.

I'm just some idiot in second semester of computer engineering (maybe with some emphasis on idiot), but aren't you supposed to be reaching out people BEFORE you graduate?

I was trying to launch my own startup, but that failed so here I am.

Yeah, it's bad out there.