/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Old thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Recommended IBM models:
X60, X61, T60, T61, 860, Transnote, PC110

Recommended freedom models:
xx00 series, IBM xx0 series
Checklibreboot.orgfor details.

Recommended modern models:
X220 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
T420 - 14", 900p, widely avaiable, socketed CPU, Ivy Bridge installable w/ Coreboot
W520 - 15", 1080p, Desktop Replacement, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
T440p, T540p, W540 - last ThinkPads to have replacable CPUs, IPS displays avaiable, chiclet
P-series - reminiscent to old build quality, top-of-the-line specs, better than most current mobile workstations, but very expensive

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Used laptop guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com

ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/

EPP discount for new ThinkPads:
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com.au/itm/IBM-Lenovo-X220-Core-i7-2640M-2-80GHz-320GB-8GB-WIN10-PRO-Office-2013/122829248420?epid=1300202595&hash=item1c993197a4:g:S5sAAOSw~RVaDNCU
libreboot.org/docs/install/x200_external.html#wifi
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LXCLDRI/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1510382358&sr=8-4π=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=laptop i5 refurbished&dpPl=1&dpID=51rPn1+1HJL&ref=plSrch#featureBulletsAndDetailBullets_secondary_view_div_1511891884532
amazon.com/Lenovo-Thinkpad-T440-Ultrabook-Professional/dp/B073WVRDJT/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1511897666&sr=1-2&keywords=thinkpad
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'm getting an x301 for my sister for christmas
My friend has one and it has a pretty good screen, good keyboard and pretty good overall. What do you have to say about it OP?

Not OP but the CPU is incredibly weak. Other than that it seems perfect

What's the best replacement wireless card to put into a X200? I don't want to use the default Intel chip that it comes with as it requires proprietary drivers to use. Planning to Libreboot too for maximum freedums

Not OP but I just bought an X301 and it is one of the comfiest laptops I have ever used. I don't know if it's placebo but the keyboard feels way nicer. It's very quiet and cool and pretty snappy using Ubuntu MATE. But if you value battery life maybe invest in that UltraBay battery, will add like 2-3 hours.

Also, 1.8" hard drive is gay, if yours doesn't come with an SSD you might want to buy an mSATA adapter and an mSATA SSD. I didn't know I had an HDD until I took it out wondering why it was so slow. 1.8" HDDs are quiet but slow as shit.

I'm aware. I've spent a while on my friend's but there is always the option of a cpu upgrade
in fact that might actually be a good experience for her to have as an introduction to her involvement in computers.

Best way to get an all black keyboard besides sanding?

Yeah the keyboard feels amazing. That's why I wanted to get it for her. I'm hoping that there is at least one type of keyboard for the x201 that feels similar as that's the laptop that I want.

There is no CPU upgrade, X series laptops have soldered CPUs. I can watch HD anime on it absolutely fine though so no biggie for me personally. But you sure as heck aren't going to be doing anything more than light stuff on that processor.

Paint

X301 uses a SU9400 which sucks.
Hell P8600 is barely good enough for 1080p.

Get her a X220 instead.
Or atleast a X200.

I guess it's a good thing that it doesn't have a 1080p screen then
I'm pretty sure that only applies to slim models but the X3xx series may be different. I will look into it.

I feel like it may be a good option because it is a very slim option and she says she likes the way my T420 looks. She isn't us, and by that I mean she isn't going to be doing much with her laptop other than 720p videos and maybe wevideo or something idk.

Is there something that is relevant that is inherently wrong with the design? I understand that batteries are expensive and that it has a different hard drive size but that's all I can think of.

SU9400 has problems even playing 480p video user.

cpu is really shit.

keyboard is awesome.

Are you sure man? I was just using my friend's the other day and I was on you tube just fine. I think I'm just blind, could you do me a favor and find me a review or something. I'm doing research now.

ravenridge 12-14 inch when...

T_T

Unless you are buying it for $20-40 then its not worth it.
Save and get her a X200 or X220 for $80-150.

The vulnerabilities of the i3 aren't as egregious as the i5/i7's, right? not having vPro/AMT etc

So I understand this problem is not entirely thinkpad based and I'll ask it in the linux general later but I was wondering if a Libreboot T60 will work with a moderately new amd gpu in the dock?
I know libreboot only works with non-proprietary software and recently found out amd is working on an openGPU project.
I want to use the laptop in a dock and use multiple monitors and would rather use an external gpu.
Is openGPU refined yet and is there a different libreboot-able laptop that you guys would recommend for almost strictly dock use?

bumping from previous thread

yes

>Model Number: X220
>Type: 4286-CTO
>Serial Number: R9-KCAY6
>Processor: Intel Core i7 - 2640M @ 2.80GHz with vPro
>Memory: 8GB DDR3
>Hard drive: 320GB SATA HDD
>Display: 12.5" (1366x768 IPS)
>Wireless: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6250
>Ports: 2x USB 2.0. 1x USB 3.0. VGA. SD Card Reader. Fingerprint Reader.

Just picked this beauty up for $300. How'd I do? Did I overpay?

>Did I overpay?
That shit would cost around $150, also enjoy the shit battery life of the i7.

That's not your image you filthy nigger
ebay.com.au/itm/IBM-Lenovo-X220-Core-i7-2640M-2-80GHz-320GB-8GB-WIN10-PRO-Office-2013/122829248420?epid=1300202595&hash=item1c993197a4:g:S5sAAOSw~RVaDNCU

>How'd I do?
Good choice for a laptop even today.

>Did I overpay?
Considerably, as it's basically a $120-150 machine nowdays, if it had 16GB of RAM in it and an SSD of at least SATA III spec then I'd say $150-180 depending on overall condition and the wear on the battery (can be measured quickly with BatteryBar). If it was the x220t then perhaps $180-220 again depending on overall condition, whether it has the stylus and some extra tips, etc.

But yes, you overpaid, assuming you mean it's $300 US dollars. If you get it and you're happy with it then who cares, that's what counts.

libreboot.org/docs/install/x200_external.html#wifi

Where to buy a factory original Lenovo T420 keyboard?

hi guys got a thinkpad x220t with ubuntu.
had anyone an idea how to get the keyboard-light working?

>x220t
>ubuntu

Tablet models don't have Thinklight.

>thought the thinkpad cum keyboard was just a meme
>buy refurbished t420 off amazon for $200
>see this
How does one go about cleaning this sticky shit

throw it into the garbage bin.

also
>snapchat
kys normie

i tried to take a picture with my normal camera and the file was too big.
fuck off autist

>and the file was too big
change the resolution in settings, you fuking brainlet

The i7 on the X220 is just a slightly faster i5, battery life should be fine. The big selling point is the inclusion of the usb 3.0 port.

implying it isn't faster to just take a picture with snapchat
some of us value our free time, unlike smelly NEETS like you

>some of us value our free time, unlike smelly NEETS like you

>browses an Sup Forums
>gets a old used and stinky thinkpad
>claims to value his free time
ofc you do.

not stinky, sticky

>implying it isn't stinky as well

it isn't

give it a good sniff and enjoy the semen crusts.

*snnnniiiiiiiffff*
ahhh

>*snnnniiiiiiiffff*
>ahhh
das it mane
now sniff this.
*unzips dick*

I paid $300 for a brand new X220 in original unopened packaging with i5 2520M, 180GB Intel SSD, 8GB ram and a 9 cell battery.

lick it off

man they really like to keep you in the dark don't they

Which is more of a meme
Backlit keyboards
or
Anti-microbial keyboards

what's the average idle temp for a T440p

>power cable frays internally from bending, eventually becomes unusable
>mummify new power cable in tape, redoing it whenever the tape gets too bendy
>lasts only 6 months before starting to fail then suddenly completely failing
Total bullshit
Is there any emergency fix for this?

i got a dell m4800 with a i7 4900mq in it for free. the screen is completely broken and unusable, while looking for replacements I saw a matte 1080p for 64dollars and one for 94dollars. is there anything I should look out for when buying a screen besides the resolution?

googled the motherboards
def soldered

pretty sure thats grease
just buy a new keyboard
also
>he is retarded enough to buy a refurb from amazon instead of getting for the half the price off ebay
lmoa brainlet

Anti-microbial

the connector

How do I install paint.net on my w520? It's running windows 10 but I get an error when I try to install paint.net
I looked it up and apparently there's something to do with the graphics drivers? Pls help I just want my comfy program back to draw/edit memes

>tfw you run your finger around the soft rim trackpoint

When was the last time the thermal assembly was cleaned or re-pasted?

My t430, pre-re-clean/pasting idled in the high 40's to mid 50's

after, low to mid 40's

Say it again, I think I’m close

So i got a P50 with a really good deal, does it have bios whitelisting too? And will a DW1560 work on it (not going to buy one if it's not going to work without a bios modding)?

idle is irrelevant on laptops they're designed to be silent at idle. my t440p with i5 4300m doesnt go above 80c full load.

Really thats only overpaid if we are talking theorerical bargain bin oportunities.

how the heck do I install a boot loader on a T420? I'm trying to install Manjaro alongside Windows 7 on a SSD but I can't get the installer to create either a bootloader or a boot entry in bios

we need to be certain, your laptop has a BIOS and isn't running UEFI, right?

if it's really using a BIOS, then first, assuming you want grub,

>install the bootloader to the disk
sudo grub-install /dev/sd(disk label letter)

>install the configuration to your boot directory
sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

and that's it, you should be gucci 2 go

I want to do my dream dual external monitor setup and I need some help.

Currently i have some old asus with i5-2430m (HD3000), with external 1080p monitor,
and it starts to struggle with twitch 1080p60fps steams (stuttering and loud fan).

Which thinkpad (used and cheap) with dock i should get so it can handle dual 1080p external monitors
with lets say 2 streams open on each one? (or maybe 3 monitors for future proof?)

x series would be the best

30-35c on my quad core

idle doesn't matter though

>handle dual 1080p external monitors
with lets say 2 streams open on each one? (or maybe 3 monitors for future proof?)

>x series would be the best
>x series
you've gotta be kidding

you're gonna want a T series at the least so the thing isn't running its fans 100% of the time
if you really want to future proof then get a W series or whatever the equivalent is nowadays

will I be able to do this in a live version of Manjaro?

has the distro been installed to disk, and you're just waiting to figure out how to install the bootloader?

Or did you not install a bootloader and you can't boot into anything but a live disk?

Anyone with a dell xps13?
Is the coil whine real?
I'm starting going research to replace my x201 next spring .

Post pictures of your ThinkPads Sup Forumsentoomen

At that price point you might as well get an FSF laptop like a Taurinus x200 or a Libreboot T400. Literally the only disadvantage to a Core 2 Duo is software compile times, even creative applications should run fine.

Where do you guys recommend buying batteries that are safe and cost effective? Amazon's choice for the X230 T's is awful.

i just buy them from aliexpress

When can we expect thinkpads with QHD or HiDPI displays to pop up on ebay?

It would be a fucking waste on a laptop because neither Linux nor Windows have good scaling.

my w520

Whatever user, GNOME works great on HiDPI displays.

I should get the 8-cell but can't find any over here.

apparently the distro (Manjaro) is installed but it fails to install a boot loader, meaning I can't boot into manjaro to make changes, so is it possible to do this in the live version? Or is there a way to install grub via USB

why aren't you using that screen behind with the dock for a double display setup m8

it's connected to my 2003 dell desktop running windows XP :^)

Sauce on keyboard?

poorly taken pic because i'm in class.
also,nice digits m8

So I ordered this
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LXCLDRI/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1510382358&sr=8-4π=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=laptop i5 refurbished&dpPl=1&dpID=51rPn1+1HJL&ref=plSrch#featureBulletsAndDetailBullets_secondary_view_div_1511891884532

And it says the thonkpad got an Nvidia dGPU but when it arrived it seems it only has iGPU. I ordered internationally, is complaining about this to Amazon even worth? I will probably lose money making the devolution, right? By the way I bought it when it was 250 bucks, they inflated the price a few days ago. Fuck these Jews god damn.

>Tfw got myself a t400

Yes, absolutely complain. You paid for a product that you didn't receive. This is on them.

Anyone know the weak points of the t430?
What needs upgrading straight away?

What can’t be fixed?

-thanks

clean your desk fucking monkey

I don't see a monkey fucking his desk, and why would it need cleaning?

Keyboard.
A 250GB+ SSD that uses 3D NAND.

Hey /tpg/ is this Yoga 15 any good? I got one from work and I'm thinking about going into Linux, but I'm not sure if this worth the time...

This is not a troll post, I really don't know a shit about this laptop.

So I did it, I went for the ULTIMATE BUSINESS EXPERIENCE and bought a T440p. Still had W7 though, what should I do next? Guide me.

What is objectively the best nipple type?
My soft dome is starting to lose a lot of it's little nubs and kinda looks like shit

Any europe fag know how to get a T470 cheap like in the US? They are so fucking expensive here wtf....

Solder. Takes 5min, lasts for ever.

There is no objectively best nipple. It's all down to personal preferences.

amazon.com/Lenovo-Thinkpad-T440-Ultrabook-Professional/dp/B073WVRDJT/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1511897666&sr=1-2&keywords=thinkpad

Anyone got this one?

I think corporate contacts is the only way.

There's a 3 pack on ebay i can cop for like 4 bucks so might just do that

think i got a good deal on a latitude E6230.
i5-3320m
8gb 1600mhz
128gb SSD
for £140

shit is super comfy to type on, and even types better than a thinkpad X2x0, although the missing trackpoint is a bummer, but at least it doesn't have a webcam though.