What's your opinion on french language?
Do you like the way it sounds?

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s0hhPu7dleI6
vocaroo.com/i/s11uFDrW4Lbr
youtu.be/X8CNpNUKoQA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It sounds god tier when sung

I don't know since it's my native language to me it's the only language that sounds "normal"

depends who talks it. most of them to me just sounds either retarded or pretentious af.

It's alright tbf, one of the best out of romance languages.

French girls speaking English is godly though.

Funny. I'd say it sounds bad when sung but sounds awesome when talked (even by foreigners).

how hard it would be to learn? I learned english pretty fast and I assume that french would be easier since I already speak a romance language
I need to learn something to get my mind busy, i'm pretty depressed since I got kicked from college

better than breton, desu.

t. >TFW breton parents

c'est ma langue maternelle pêh

Oh I remember you, so your parents only speak breton at all ?

Sounds annoying as fuck

T. My mom always plays Celine Dion shit. Fucking gay

they also speak french, but didn't teach that to me or my siblings. why, i have no clue.

>French girls speaking English is godly though.
I think that's quite universal. Whenever a foreigner girl speaks your first language it adds a lot to her charm.

Breton pride, one generation ago the parents stopped speaking breton with their childrens and so we went from a bilingual breton/french generation to a monolingual french, and when they realised the mistake it was too late, so I guess they're trying to sorta fix it.

When I speak it, yes. When an average Frenchman speaks it: no.

Pretty hard I'd say. French has some fucked up rules.

Italian is quite easy. Girls love it, and it's beautiful language.

only on girls

I hate it less than german and french people

I am in my 9th year of French at Uni, and I really like the language. It sounds amazing, especially when sung, and it seems like it was designed just to be a beautiful language. The only problem I have with it is that I have a light southern accent and a deep voice, and so my pronounciations are shit for some words, but I can at least get it close enough to where native French speakers can at least understand the general point I'm trying to make

i imagine so but it is kind of annoying when this conversation occurs
>"Your parents have an accent, where are they from"
>"France"
>"Parlez-vous Francais?/Do you speak French?"
>"Non"
>"What, how?"
>"We Speak Breton at home."
>"WTF is that?"

that convo happens a lot more than it should.

Don't be ashamed of that and explain them what happened with the breton language, if anything you should be proud to speak breton. I mean it's already rare to find breton speakers who aren't 65yo+ here in Brittany, so you can imagine how rare it is to find some outside of Brittany.
Btw if it's not too much to ask, could you record something in breton ? I'd like to hear what it sounds like when spoken by a native speaker, the few I ever hear is by people who basically pronounce it like french.

Have you ever visited France?
Do you plan to work there?

As someone who learned French with English as a native language, it was hard for me because the grammar is entirely different, however I got used to that really quick, not to mention since you speak Portuguese (I assume) it's the same grammar concept so I'm sure that will be no issue, but there are some weird rules, such as there being letters (I'm looking at you g) dropped for no reason other than to make the words sound prettier

i can try if i dig up a mic. you post something in english I'll translate it or I'll just do some basic phrase

Yes, twice in the past year. In March I went to Paris for 2 weeks, and in June I was in a small town by Marseille (Carry-le-Rouet) for a month. Hopefully I can get a job there so I can see what life is like there and if I like it enough (and I love it so far) I might try to make it my home.

Tbh it doesn't really matter what you say since I wouldn't understand it anyway kek, maybe you could introduce yourself or talk about your day, something basic. Honestly I'm mostly interested in the pronounciation so you can talk about anything you want.

Reviving dead or almost dead languages is lame. Theyve been trying to revive Cornish too. Give me a break. That being said: all celtic languages are disappearing.

Cornish has been dead since the 18th century, 50 years ago breton was spoken by most of western Brittany. And even today you can still find a decent amount of speakers, something like 250 000 out of 3M bretons.

If you have the opportunity, visit Strasbourg. Such a lovely city.

You don't have to lecture me. The statement I made still stands. All those languages are dying.

Well if you don't plan to change your mind, I can't argue.

girls sound hot
men sound like faggots
same with scandi languages

It sounds pleasant. But also a bit strange because German is much harsher, so it sounds unusual to me.

Colgate guy sounds like a douche but he's not entirely wrong. What's the point of learning local dialect?

I'll make sure to do that, I've also visited Bordeaux, Nîmes, and Versaille. Thanks for the suggestion

Well knowing a language is never a bad thing, and idk it's just a sort of pride to keep it alive in a way.

Nicest language imo
I spent years learning it just so that I can find a French qt to speak with

Change my mind about what? That there are less and less speakers of all individual celtic languages? This is a fact.

You're an idiot. It's a language, not a dialect. How was I being a douche anyway?

vocaroo.com/i/s0hhPu7dleI6

it's short but at least i found a microphone, desu.
also, my pronunciation might be poor, I have gotten that a bit.

>vocaroo.com/i/s0hhPu7dleI6
Thank you very much, I was wondering if you'd roll the R or use the french one, most of the time I hear breton with the guttural R but I believe the rolled one is the proper pronounciation.

You're right. But isn't it more useful to learn a modern language, like german or spanish or whatever?

I mean dialects are lovely but the purpose of a language is to be spoken. I know some bits of alsacian but I never had the opportunity to use it.

np, I tend to trill my 'r's a little which leads to "That's bad pronunciation." but i should get into a better habit of rolling.

also, I forgot: I said:"Hello, I apologise that the microphone is shit"

Well I speak french natively, english good enough to converse, and I've got some remainings of spanish classes. I was considering learning russian tho

You sound like an angry spoiled 12 years old.

Haha I understood demat microphone and kaoc'h, it's better than nothing right ?

very much so, you got all the important bits. Also, truly sorry for that mic, but it's the only one i have on hand.

I'd love to learn russian but I'm too much of a lazy ass to even begin to try.

Putain je déteste les bretons. Autistes.

>tfw vocab and grammar have degraded dramatically since my
rendezvous with it in school
>can still read it out rather convincingly and feel like a Frenchman
OUI OUI TRES BIEN
It sounds good to me. Quite melodic and soft.
Would be cool to get back into it again but I'm busy with other languages currently. Very useful to know a bit if you're going on holiday, though - French "English" is not a meme.
Have you heard Stereolab? Sounds pretty good to me when they do it.
That's Celine Dion sounding fucking gay, not the language per se.
but ivan...

No don't worry about it, it's already great like that.
Indice : je m'en bas les couilles

I've got a question for you frog bros, when you hear snowfrench how different would you say it is?

Ironically, you are the one acting like a child. But it's a french stereotype; getting offended over literally nothing (except in this case straight facts). Sad to see it being confirmed. *yawn* fucken idiot.

Quebecois french compared to french is the equivalent of american english compared to british english basically.

No, their grammar is different while us and uk english vary only in orthograph and vocabulary

The way they write french is the same, it's mostly a difference of pronounciation and vocabulary.

Their accent is horrible

Imagine an indian talking english

That is how it feels to us

no way it can be that bad. that fucking monotone droning is simply without compare in terms of being shit.

Would you say they sound like hillbillies or do they just sound peculiar?

I was watching a Quebec drama show once and the france french subtitles were fairly different to what was being said

They have different syntax, not only vocabulary

We sound like you would imagine a 17th century French trapper living in the woods, a little hillbilly I guess. Also, for the syntax thing, written French is really the same, but how we form our sentences when we speak is indeed different of European French. Other than that its just pronounciation and different vocabulary.

no

So if say a frenchmen said "I'm going to the store to get apples" How fucked would the snowfrench be? Like "Go store I apples get". Sorry just trying to gauge the severity.

That's like an Italian telling to a foreigner that he should visit South-Tirol...

ma ga shoppe to eppels acheter

My mother tongue.

I love it. But it sounds better with an accent, especially a slavic one.

A russian girl speaking French is 10/10

French: Je vais au magasin chercher des pommes.

Snowfrench: J'm'en va au magasin chercher des pommes.

Syntax doesn't look that bad but if you add pronounciation and change vocabulary from "chercher" to Canada slang like "pogner" it can get pretty intense to a point where European French would have trouble understanding.

Same syntax, we'll probably add something superfluous.

Je vais au magasin acheter des pommes

Here we'd say something like

J'vais aller au magasin pour acheter des pommes

Or

J'm'en va au magasin acheter des pommes.

Fucking haitians get out of mu country

No offence intended but it sounds really effeminate to me, so it's great when girls speak it but when guys say it seems gay

It's not a language, its a call, or sound.

Differences are very numerous but they are all minor, of course it adds up and you end up with something quite different.

Main differences :

Prononciation, we pronounce a at th end of words closer to "o", kinda like a swedish å. Or the u in the english word Rhum or Bum. The "eu" sound is a bit different, we tend to finish the sound with a bit of a w sound. So beurre (butter) would sound like beuwrre. The "in" sound is a lot more distinct in our lmFrench than in Europe where it could almost sound like "an", here its very clear and a bit more nasal.

We tend to double pronouns when asking questions.

Veux-tu? Will become tu veux-tu?

Our slang has a lot of anglicism, especislly verbs.. would make it easier to understand for an anglo since the meaning of the verb is the same.

Watcher = To Watch = Surveiller
Switcher = To Switch = Changer (de position)

Otherwise we have a lot of slang that relate to sailing and boats.

We embark and debark of cars instead of climbing in and out.

The word for a snowfall (bordée) is the word for a series of cannonfire on a warship. Stuff like that.

This

A girl named Léa would get her name butchered to something like Léaw or Léoh here

But French people are just pretentious douches when they say they literally "can't" understand

It doesn't sound any different than Dutch for me, because I use it a lot in my private life.

would appreciate your advice too, merci
vocaroo.com/i/s11uFDrW4Lbr

Magnifique!

Je me'appelle Fernando and i don't know anymore but your language is so sexy

ce soir

tfw no french gf

it sounds nice when native french people speak it and sounds horrible when an ape speaks it

Just like russi.. Oh wait it sounds the same

>Oh user! P-put your BAB (big american burger) in my Croissant!

Some Frenchmen sound like fags, yea...

#NotAllFrenchmen :^)

I think for names its only the uneducated amd older people who do it tho.

I know girls named Hanna and Ivana and nobody says their names wrong.

Sounds great

It sounds pretty.

But the problem with languages is they stop sounding pretty once you learn them

thats pretty hilarious

American vs British grammar is actually much more different than you would assume

Native English speaker, learning conversational Swedish: I like French. I took two years of it in high school (but with a shitty teacher so I didn't learn as much as I wanted to, and I was very willing.) I do think it might be a little overrated, though. Even people who don't know jack shit about other cultures recognize the French language as "the most beautiful" and romantic but I don't know if it deserves THAT much regard. I personally have always most enjoyed the sound of the Germanic languages over the Romance languages.

>Do you like the way it sounds?
Yes, it's a high tier language.
I learned it for a while in high school. It's very pleasant to the ears and fun to speak. Although it sounds significantly better when spoken by a woman than spoken by a man. No offence, but all these nasals and softened Rs make it sound a bit feminine.
I'd definitely prefer French over English to be the global language (as it used to be).

A french girl whispering in your ear is the tightest shit

quality post

The croissant is Austrian though, so this girl is an Österreichische Mädchen imstead of une fille Française

youtu.be/X8CNpNUKoQA
Like this?

Quebecois seems to have the structure of the "I am going to" from English or the "Voy a..." from Spanish

Oh for fuck's sake

>h-herr Amerikaner, fick mich! fick mich!

That's a Prussian helm... You should add an Austrian tiara or the kaiserskrone

To be fair, if Elsaß-Lothringen had stayed German after WWI, Straßburg would have been Anglo'd like every other German town, too. It's some kind of bitterly nice to have at least one slightly larger city preserved.

Also what's wrong with liking German architecture as a Frenchman :^)

God dammit you goddamn clog wearing, windmill building, dyke constructing dutch cunt, It's good 'nuff.