What are the most difficult words to say, to you, in English?

What are the most difficult words to say, to you, in English?

>me
>Thought (I always pronounce it like "foot")
>Weather
>Clothes (It always end up like "clofeez")

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonological_history_of_English_consonant_clusters
vocaroo.com/i/s18O7kFgMNxO
youtube.com/watch?v=7UOeQJbKwdQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

TH was literally impossible for me until i had my teeth gap fixed

Man, I wonder how Anglo natives deal whit that

Cunnilingus.

A

Anything starting with "tw''
>two
>twenty
>twin(towers)

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
Believe me, it's a real word.

Saying it is easy. Spelling it is impossible.

lol

sixths

It's actually the best word in the English language.

you just push your tongue into the back of your front teeth, blow air and make an f sound

>clofeez
It shouldn't be a long "e", is that how you're pronouncing it?

Congratulations

Words that have French origin. I really don't know rules to pronounce them. I learnt about Great Vowel Shift and I have an idea how to pronounce words of Germanic origin but not French.

For example: - coincidence
-accident
-purpose
-counterfeit

Good advice friend (actually it works);
but you know, your mouth's muscles must be accustomed to doing this, and even if that seems easy for you... Well It's not !
But training (and listening English speakers/medias) is the best thing to do.

Not the hardest, but
>queue
looks retarded.

No, I tried to "translate" the pronounciation in English; In French it would be like "clofiz".

Congratulations

hint: not the way the French do

Anything with 'p'

>Say purpose
>The sound that comes of out mouth is "bur-fos"

I understand. But they don't pronounce it like in french. Their pronounciation follow the standard English pronounciation (generally).

Pronounced as
Kway way

Particular. It's been a problem for me to pronounce it when I was a teen. I dunno why though.

squirrel

wtf

it sounds like skwurl but you write it squirrel

This
Thank you, I always pronounced it Kiue you

>squirrel
Oh man, I know your pain.

Mountain

I try to pronounce them in this way:

kəun'sidəns
æk'sidənt
'pə:pz
'kæntɑːfeit

It's pronounced the exact same as the letter "Q". Literally "Q" followed by four silent letters

its just pronounced Q

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonological_history_of_English_consonant_clusters
really makes you thick

Well, sounds good to me (not an expert tho).
Are you kidding?

haha ur not supposed to say words the way theyre spelt

I always just say "sixts"

in civilized languages you are

Yeah this, first time I saw "crayon" I literally said [kʁaˈjɔ̃]

tbf this word is often difficult even for native speakers, myself included

probably some obscure words

probably the only benefit of being born Belgian dutch+french from early age and then german+english later on

The schwa at the end is wrong, you should be hitting a front unrounded vowel (as in "tent")

"I'm sorry"

uwu

I never got why this is supposedly "hard" for Germanic speakers? Almost a meme at that point

it is because of the sliding R. If anglos just rolled their R's like civilized people (oor just said eekhoorn or something civilized)

It's not hard, it's not even consistent with how most native English speakers pronounce skwirril. I think it's just the yank retardation setting off your autism.

>rolled their R
Now that's something I have trouble with. Thanks frogs for changing our R to uvular I guess

probably bc the r sound is so exaggerated, and if you try to say it with a german r it sounds atrocious

>Now that's something I have trouble with.

JAJAJAJAJJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJA

>Thanks frogs for changing our R to uvular I guess

thank yourself for being major cucks!

It's actually the good pronounciation in french, but not in english I guess.

all those lovely consonants, we have to give them all a home

But many other of your words have "r"s too (and nobody except Günther Oettinger would use the German uvular R when speaking English anyway), yet I only ever see maymay videos of "Watch Germans/... try to pronounce squirrel", but never, let's say, "barrel"
Also "th" and especially its clusters (like aforementioned "sixths") are way harder to master for most of us. Or getting the distinction "bat"/"bet" right, I could list many more that are harder than your "r"
I can kinda do it now when other consonants are nearby, I think I can get Polish "kurwa" somewhat right, but between 2 vowels, like Spanish "perro", it's impossible for me
What I meant is that all Latin and Germanic languages initially rolled the r with the tongue, but for some reason you started to make it uvular at some point, and from there it gradually spread over to us and even up to Denmark

>knee

yeah you have to do it very quickly or you'll sound like a retard, just practice

yeah no fuggin the letter k can go get stuffed

>Rolling your r

the one thing i can't do even after hundred of hours trying

I didn't know that the German "r" was the same as in French, Tbh.
You made me smarter...

You're serious ? Have you never heard any german in your life ?

order, murder

Three
Still don't know is it like tree, free or something completly different.

It's a remnant from Proto-Germanic or so but on its way to modern English the K got lost somewhere (we still pronounce it in "Knie") and they just didn't bother updating the spelling yet after 2000 or so years
Don't some of your region (South) still do it? Here, for example Bavarians still roll it too
AFAIK it's not exactly identical but very close, to my knwoledge we have uvular fricative, while you tend to slightly "roll" it in the throat/pronounce it a bit more clearly. It also often gets devoiced in German so becomes a [χ], like when following a voiceless consonant like in "tragen"

>you have to do it very quickly or you'll sound like a retard

O-oh. It's not stressful at all, lad...
<

Well, no kidding, thanks for your advices. It helps.

more like a soft Zree mixed with Free

>Have you never heard any german in your life ?
Hum, actually, not really... Except in movies/tv I guess.
I-i live in normandy

>Don't some of your region (South) still do it? Here, for example Bavarians still roll it too

Maybe the older generations do it in the south, but as i don't live there i can't really tell you.

Tbh, i find your "r" softer than ours

its three

I live in Normandy aswell mate, and i heard loads of german growing up, with all the war history and stuff

Same question here

Well, not me. S-sorry bro.

Jewllywood Hitler impersonations mostly try to emulate his Bavarian accent which indeed has rolled "r", so I guess many foreigners whose only exposure to the language is via those flicks probably still have that impression

I pronounce it like θri:(or θri). But I used to pronounce it like fri:

I've tried
Free/Tree//Three

vocaroo.com/i/s18O7kFgMNxO

I wasn't talking about Hitler

its basically the same as montan~a though?

how do you say treshold?
tresh-hold?
tres-hold
tresh-old?

Lol I gotchu fami

I never heard a real German in real life, but I still know that you guys don't sound like Hitler, or like in WW2 Holywood movies...

I have Internet and TV (Arte) and seen German movies.

>Mauntn
>Montanja
Nah...

Pronounce it Q

it's threshold

you say it like thresh-hold

"Two" is said the exact same way as "too"

three - it is hard as fuck because it sounds like free and many Americans say it in many ways. This th sound is the most difficult part in the language.

Thanks you!

in russian it would be KЮ

'treʃold?

I used to pronounce 'grasshoper' like ['græʃopə]. It was absolutely incorrect.

Worst : try to say "tree" and "three".

I wasn't being wasn't sarcasticIt's just that I wonder if these two words are pronounced the same or not for a while.

Say it like an American.
Maon-tin

>sure

Is it sór, súr or sőr? I never know.

Th-ree
Don't know how to help you with this more. :P

It seems the spelling hasn't been varied since Middle English.

The homophones:
two - [tu:]
too - [tu:]

My bad. It seems two is [tu], not [tu:]

Through or throat

Ah, just to be confusing we'll change the stress and length depending on the word's location in the sentence
>That just toooo bad
>There are twoooo lights

>They want us to pain

Its hard because you have to hold the "th" most english speakers pronounce "th" sounds quickly

>They want us to pain

shur

so iirc in hungarian it'd just be sur

That's interesting. This is something so built-in to how we talk, that I never really noticed that.

youtube.com/watch?v=7UOeQJbKwdQ
Is this you?

>Clothes

Pronounced the same as "close"

this is the one word that intentionally makes you sound like you have a lisp no matter how you pronounce it.