Norwegian and Danish

How does a non native speaker of these two languages tell the difference between them? Especially in written form.

They have the exact same alphabet, which is different from Swedish in that regard.

Other urls found in this thread:

sv.wikipedia.org/
dk.wikipedia.org/
no.wikipedia.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Why do you have to differ them in written form?

Mainly out of curiosity.

If I see some text written in a post or in a news article, how do I know if it's Danish or Norwegian?

Danish words never end in double consonants, for example nat (Danish) and natt (Norwegian)

Even Google sucks at this. Always after a reinstall if chrome it asks if I want to automatically translate Norwegian websites from Danish to English.
It's interesting, because the spoken language are just so different.

If someone says they speak Norwegian, I'd assume it's Norwegian

Danish when written is similar to Swedish.

>They have the exact same alphabet
Swedish has Å and danes have that weird O that is banned on Sup Forums.

Å is common to all of them

Oh wait, right they replaced äö not Å, can't remember everything..

>Open newpaper
>CTRL-F

>100+ results
>?????
>Danish detected

We have o as well

djævelskt

Sometimes I read something in Norwegian and only realize it is not Danish after several paragraphs.

swedish will NEVER have "kk" like on op's picture
it's always "ck" like in most languages

swedish has: ä and ö
while danish and norwegian has: æ and o

you could also look for some common short words like:
"and" => och (swe), og (dk/no)
"is" => är (swe), er (dk/no)
etc.

telling the difference between no and dk texts are a whole different beast to tackle though

if you want some examples to read, that's pretty easy to find:
sv.wikipedia.org/
dk.wikipedia.org/
no.wikipedia.org/

Try to read it out loud. If you sound drunk it's Danish. If you sound like a fag it's Norwegian.

>swedes talking about sounding like fags
it's literally THE stereotype about your language here

>If you sound like a fag it's Norwegian.
>That flag

As a non-scandi speaking neighbor of these 3 countries I can tell 3 points.

-Swedish sounds really feminine/castrated
-Danish sounds weird
-Norwegian sounds like a true viking language

you can't distinguish danish and norwegian because they are basically danish

but danes were the best Vikings

>Danish sounds weird

Suomi perkele

Danish sounds like throat cancer and painful.

Well Norwegian has two written languages, Bokmål and Nynorsk.
Bokmål was derived from written Danish, and they are similar to the point where it's hardly possible to tell them apart for a foreigner.
Nynorsk is a meme language created by Norwegians who hated everything Danish.
It was created by mashing a bunch of rural Norwegian dialects together and converting it into a written language.
It's quite distinctive from both Swedish and Danish but only used by a small minority of the population.

To answer you question, no you can't tell them apart the vast majority of the time.
Unless they are from the western part of Norway, in which case you should ignore everything they say because they are clearly bydlos.

>Unless they are from the western part of Norway, in which case you should ignore everything they say because they are clearly bydlos
"everyone who isn't a super cool progressive stockholmer like me isn't worth listening to. Welp, looks like it's time to prep the bull again" t. you

he's right though

nynorsk is a western norwegian invention, and is literally 90% western dialects, 5% memes and 5% words from dialects from the rest of the country.

the only thing they contribute to norway is extracting our oil. too bad all the companies responsible for it are headquartered in oslo, so they can't even claim full responsibility for it

t. trondheimer

I FORSTÅR INTE EN ANDEN