Which do you prefer, Desktops or laptops Sup Forums...

Which do you prefer, Desktops or laptops Sup Forums? I used to always work and play on desktops but just a few months ago i got a decent laptop and realized portability is important. Can't wait for desktops to disappear

Desktop for basically everything except running my Pathfinder games.

FYROM

What would you do if there is an earthquake and your whole house gets destroyed? Goodbye desktop

I don't live in an earthquake prone area, and my laptop would be destroyed as well so I fail to see your point

What would you do if there is an meteor strike and your whole city gets destroyed? Goodbye laptop

You can grab your laptop easily and run
at that point i doubt ill care about my laptop

I can also grab my backup of my desktop hard drive and run.

Its not the same

>and realized portability is important
Because why, exactly? Don't you spend enough time on the computer when you're at home/work?

It literally is, that's the point of a backup.

ThinkPad + docking station is the patrician choice, best of both worlds.

Only a child could think about his computer of all things when an earthquake is happening. You're contemplating an earthquake strong enough to level your house and crush anyone and anything inside, right down to a desktop on the floor and the only thing you think about is "boy I hope I can grab my laptop and run."

>Don't you spend enough time on the computer when you're at home/work?
personally, i take my laptop to college but also like to use it while im in the kitchen or living room. Something i can't do with my desktop
But you still lose the system

>Only a child could think about his computer of all things when an earthquake is happening
Or people whose whole work is on a laptop.

Okay, I'd lose the system but the data that matters would be safe. What if when you're escaping from your collapsing house you stumble over the shattered road outside and your laptop flies from your hands into oncoming traffic and it gets run over and shattered? Goodbye laptop

Laptops allow you to be antisocial in many places, desktops force you to stay in one place and be antisocial there,

Basically I'd rather sit in the warmth of my living room, headphones on. That sit upstairs in my stinky hovel, cold, wondering when I'm going to go down and get food and drink.

I had a gaming laptop, 17 inch screen, and recently bought a thinkpad, and I'm actually thinking smaller IS better. So much easier to carry my 12.5 inch screen around.

Thank you Sup Forums for converting me.

Only have a laptop right now, but I have a keyboard and a monitor plugged into it. And only use it as a desktop. Not in school anymore and only use the computer when I am at home. My next computer will be a desktop/

>laptops = antisocial
Don't know about you but i always see groups of friends using laptops in Uni or in Starbucks

Get a laptop, that way you have more chance of having sex. Forget video games, use a laptop for work and chinz.

Yeah m8, they're called faggots, undesirables.
They're the people who want to see Lemar fuck their bespectacled girlfriends while they watch,

I prefer to use laptops mainly because i hate the idea of leaving my desktop at my house when im out for many days or going to see a friend.

>Yeah m8, they're called faggots, undesirables.
Jesus dude, did a chad stole your bf?

Fuck you m8, it jus dint work out.

:'(

fucking this.

Laptops. They take less space and I can move from my desk to bed or around the house easily. I can also take them outside and on a plane.

I also don't care what anybody else thinks, the days of PCs are over.

But a laptop is a personal computer

>the days of PCs are over.
Amen

I prefer desktops because they are modular, and well established environments. I do like my X200s for mild browsing and getting work done at school though.

t. Zimbabwe poster

Do people really prefer a device that's inherently less powerful & less modular just because it's portable? How many of you even actually leave your room?

Desktop for gaymes, laptop for everything else

you should have your "whole work" backed up in multiple locations instead of having a single point of failure

The fuck is this? Lol this is sorta like asking what if a person broke into my house and shot up my laptop/desktop and left, like no shit your comp is done.
But to be honest if were talking about an earth quake and your house caving in, i could see a thinkpad, if its closed during the time of collapse, being actually ok (this saying your not in the basement and a refrigerator doesnt crush it or something along those lines.)

this, I run my thinkpad x220 with two external monitors as a desktop replacement
Easy to switch between the two

Realistically I could see your data being safer in a desktop than a laptop. Also desktop towers are usually under desks which would help with falling debris and such. It is an interesting concept, but you are right, if my house is destroyed one of the last things I'm worrying about is my computer

What I'd the sun stopped working and everybody died? Goodbye laptop

Does that actress have nudes?

I want a sexless sexfiend nerd gf

>sexless sexfiend
>woman

choose one

>Can't wait for desktops to disappear
The fuck is wrong with you?

I use a shitty lenovo y50 when i need extreme throttling and portability. Otherwise I use my desktop. I use the Venue 11 on the couch.

I'd just become and Applefag if all I had was a laptop.

I love my thinkpad when i'm just relaxing in a seat, or on my bed. /comfy
However, I prefer having my desktop as a seedbox/storage/movie/gaymen station.

enjoy your underpowered and overheating pieces of shit with a lifespan of 2 years

>portability is important

For what? So you can take it in the next room?

phone+desktop 2in1

I am coming around to the laptop side, but mainly because of Libreboot.

I imagine most people here have their computer high on their list.

Hopefully it would be goodbye user because you are retarded.

You're late to the show user.
The future is in phone having desktop mode.

>Do people really prefer a device that's inherently less powerful & less modular
You upgrade your desktop every 5 years, and most of your usage are web related that you barely need more than 4 GB of RAM for and C2D CPU for.
Your argument is invalid.

>tfw I lived through an 8.8 magnitude earthquake
>first thing I did was take my laptop with me
Y'all a bunch of pussies

Desktops have better keyboard, better screen, and vastly better ergonomics. The ONLY thing laptops have going for them is portability which, while important enough that I wish I had a cheap laptop, is not as important as all of the above.

I choose option b) not being an idiot who lives in an earthquake-prone area.

>decent specs
>full fledged desktop
>ability to launch GNU/Linux OS
>excellent software support
>USB-C interference allows for cluster formation
The future of computing is now.

>Desktops have better keyboard, better screen, and vastly better ergonomics.
You can use a dock station.
Your only valid argument is serviceability, in that case you need to pick a decent laptop.

laptop + dock station = really crappy desktop.

Why is it crappy? It cant do your faggy toy gaming shit?

Back to /vg/ gamerfag.

If you use a crappy laptop, then yes.
With my W700, the only thing I miss is USB 3 port.

Name one decent laptop that allows serviceability that has been released in the last 2 years.

Any Lenovo Thinkpad.

that's what homeowners insurance is for you tard

Desktops all day.
Dedicated hardware out performs any integrated/embedded alternative.

Plus you have way more IO ports and also upgradability/repairability in a standard modular fashion.

Parts also carry on to the next computer.
If the board dies you can reuse the cpu/gpu/drives/fans ect or if you upgrade to a new CPU/GPU you can reuse the other for a family member or a homeserver.

>pay $40 for desktop 16GiB RAM = 1337 games
>pay $40 for laptop 8GiB RAM = half the physical mapped effeciency

8GiB of laptop ram isn't even equiv to 8GiB desktop ram.

Dedicated GPUs also have more cache and physical vram.

I can also seperately replace or upgrade my monitor.
Basical you can do a home built for $600 with a badass monitor for gaming or you can pay $600 for a shitty laptop with a small screen that is thermally throttled and if any of the soldered components break you are fucked.

I'm the exact opposite. I used to think portability was important, until I realized I never moved my laptop anywhere, as it's already at it's optimal spot on my desk.

But what if while running away from the earthquake you get stopped by a fine looking black gentlemen, pointing the harddrive unnecessary burdens and slows you down, and that leaving it behind would increase your chances of survival greatly?

>Plus you have way more IO ports
For what?
>pgradability/repairability in a standard modular fashion.
Same apply to decent laptops
>Parts also carry on to the next computer.
That's like giving your new gf the clothes of your old died gf.

Are there any docks for the HP/memepads with some sort of PCI-E interface? I would love the 'portable workstation' meme, but I'm not gonna suggarcoat it, I want to play videogames aswell and now I'm stuck with a laptop, desktop and shitload of bandwidth wasted on syncing my documents and projects.

Same here. I have a laptop for travel but in my home it's always in the same spot. Wouldn't have something against having one server which hosts all systems for the house

desktops => laptops
>better cooling => more performance
>bigger display => you dont go blind

Current thinkpads are shit for serviceablity compared to the old ones. You can't easily replace the ram/hdd without tearing the whole thing open.

$40 for 16gb ram? In what magical world are you living?

What serviceability?
With Win10 replacing the CPU require you to buy a new license.
4 GiB of RAM is more than enough, and Extra storage is redundant.
And the cost of fixing your laptop is almost the same as buying new one.

>pathfinder
>/vg/
ELL OH ELL

laptops have way too tiny screens. i'm actually ok with everything else on laptops, so i use the iMac.

>mfw c2d and 4gb desktop
>every single fucking website pushes my CPU up to 90% of usage

I'm 28 and I've never owned a desktop in my life.
Yeah we had a family one as a wee lad, but I've only owned laptops.
I'm not a gamer. OpenBSD is my primary OS. I mostly write C in vim. I never need more than an intel atom and a gig of RAM. My laptop before that was a centrino with 256MB RAM. You will never convince me to buy Jewish hardware I don't need.

Only use my desktop for video games and backing up, everything else is on my laptop

you must be 18+ to post on this website

>every single fucking website pushes my CPU up to 90% of usage
Use OS that's not windows and browser that's not edge, and browse better designed websites.

>browse better designed websites

Hey fucknut, I browse what I have to and need to browse. Youtube uses up mu shitty core2duo up to 100% on ANY browser that isn't Chrome. Even chrome-based ones go to 100%. Literally any.

Suggest me a browser, please.

I enjoy laptops but only when they are high/mid-end, as long as it has decent specs and doesn't burn my legs I enjoy them more than desktop to be honest.
Don't you need a good computer to do coding?

Get a real computer, faggot

Get a

I prefer notebooks. I like how they're compact and you can own many different models easily. I only use my PC for gaming, everything else I use my notebooks. I currently have a 2016 MacBook Pro 15 inch touchbar model that I absolutely love. I know a lot of people here will give me crap that I own a MacBook but it's such a great notebook for my needs. I also own the new Surface Pro and that's probably the computer I use most. I just love the form factor and how it folds up super small.

Personally my dream setup is a Surface Pro with a quad core i7, two thunderbolt ports, one for an external GPU box so I can still use my ultrameme monitor and the second for charging and peripherals. I'm not attached to having a desktop, I just need it for those high frame rates and sweet giraphics.

.I have a HD6870. How do I hardware accelerate

As great as this concept is I really don't like that I couldn't use a case. Maybe if Samsung made a case that was compatible with something like this concept I would be happy. Also I want the ability to close the smartphone inside of the notebook. Other than that this would be sick.

You assign your browser name as string x, then you open google and type "how to enable hw video acceleration in x". I hope you use Chrome, because Firefox's linux implementation of HW acceleration is garbage.

Upgrading ram, changing hdd, refreshing thermal paste or change cd caddy if applicable. Upgrading/changing one of those things should not mean buying a new laptop.

>Upgrading ram
No need.
>changing hdd
No need.
>refreshing thermal paste
No need.
>change cd caddy
No need.

I'm honestly surprised anyone on this board doesn't have both.
Ever since I could afford to, I've had a high end desktop and a laptop.
Used to get cheap laptops just for web browsing and little things like that. Now I can afford to, I have an thinkpad x1 carbon.

>With Win10 replacing the CPU require you to buy a new license.
This has never been the case, you're just retarded. The license is tied to the motherboard, not the CPU.

I don't trust any computer that don't give you that 750hz beep when you boot it.
The beep is a sign that somewhere inside that machine, there is some sort of implementation of the Intel 8253 PIT, driving the speaker on a gutural scream that proves it's a legitimate computer.

Desktop for media, laptop for school and shit. It's the most logical, because i play games and watch movies at home, while i might have to do important work on the go. Basically my PC is an average gaming PC and my laptop is a piece of shit running low end specific GNU/Linux os but for typing it werks.

Underrated post.

You do realize replacing the CPU in most laptops mean replacing the mobo as well.

That's because most laptops aren't serviceable.

>No need.
You either only use your laptop as a facebook machine or you buy a new laptop every few years. If you are heavy work on a laptop things do break and you will run out of ram.

Expresscard?

Have been using my laptop with an i7 for 5 years now. Enjoying it pretty much, yeah.

>This is my opinion.
>I don't understand how others can have other opinions.

The entire thread is about PREFERENCES you autistic fuck. Nowhere did I state nor imply that other people can't have different preferences or needs.

>"Desktops have vastly better ergonomics."
>dusty coffin with cobwebs of wires under the bed