/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>How to delid your CPU:
youtube.com/watch?v=2eFzNpTOaOw

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>G4560/G4600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Consider Vega 56 for a Freesync monitor
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards; 6GB 1060 or 4GB 580 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Sometimes spending more is better; 2TB HDDs and 500GB SSDs offer better price/GB than models of lesser capacity

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/HNCvHN
techradar.com/news/intel-coffee-lake-release-date-news-and-rumors
nicehash.com/profitability-calculator/amd-rx-vega-56
ovoenergy.com/guides/energy-guides/average-electricity-prices-kwh.html
archive.fo/tXWfN
corsair.com/en-us/vengeance-led-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-dram-2666mhz-c16-memory-kit-white-led-cmu16gx4m2a2666c16
corsair.com/en-eu/blog/2015/november/ddr3-vs-ddr4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

what does gee think of my build?

r8 my mining build Sup Forumsentlemen
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/HNCvHN

Looks like a nice budget build
Looks good, but why Vega?

Retard/10
But of course it is a leaf

1070 or 1080 for smooth VR?

What headset and what games are you playing? 1070ti is also an option.

What should I get other than a vega? Vega is the current hashrate champ

>Mining in late 2017

Still profitable m80, you can calculate it yourself

You're playing yourself, my friend.

check the statistics

Only a fucking moron will buy a coffee lake processor, a Z370 mobo, a 120 dollar case for mining. Go work out how long it takes just to pay off your 1.5k with CA electrical prices.

Already did m8, I bet I'm paying less for electricity than you are.

>Already did m8
Who the fuck are you lying to moron?
Coffee lake just launched and you already made 1500 in profit off a single Vega card?
What is this? Retard showoff hour?

Lmao you are such a cunt m8. Every one of your replies in this thread is just you blowing off off steam from your shitty life. You clearly said
>Go work out how long it takes just to pay off your 1.5k with CA electrical prices.
And I did. Go find somewhere else to sperg out

Nice projection m8. You must be butthurt cause someone called you out on your bullshit and your "mining" rig.
techradar.com/news/intel-coffee-lake-release-date-news-and-rumors
Coffee lake launched on the 5th of October.
It is now the 6th of December. Which is roughly 2 months. Assuming best conditions, you got your coffee lake at launch, that leaves you with 2 months to "pay off" 1500 dollars of equipment with profit.
nicehash.com/profitability-calculator/amd-rx-vega-56
ovoenergy.com/guides/energy-guides/average-electricity-prices-kwh.html
Using the lowest cost of electricity in Canada and nicehash as a basis for calculation, it comes it comes up to roughly 150 CAD/month from mining.

So tell me again about that story where you already paid off your initial hardware investment. I do love to BTFO out of random shittalking anons on Sup Forums. I can't wait for you to backpedal about how you are already a millionaire from mining before you bought your "mining rig".

You only continue the trend of crypto miners being retarded

Specs?

MSI Tomohawk z370
Gskill 2x8GB 3200
Intel i7 8700
Asus GTX 1070
500GB SSD + 1TB HDD

>8700
>Non-K
>1070
Why?

My bad, CPU is unlocked.

1070 because cards are expensive as fuck.

If you went with an i5 8600, you could have upgraded to a 1070ti or 1080. You will use the latter more than the former.

I was gonna buy an i5 8600k, but they were sold out throughout black Friday, and I didn't want to wait.

archive.fo/tXWfN

It looks like AMD has secretly gimped the 560 line. I know most people don't buy them, but be aware that now nobody should.

I can't believe you wrote all that shit, I haven't even bought the computer idiot

>Calls others idiots
>Is going to buy a computer he can only have sit around for 10 months mining before it pays itself off
>Buys expensive CPU, mobo, RAM for it as well
Nah the other guy is right. You are dumb as bricks, he probably misunderstood what you meant by already did m8 but his initial point here isn't wrong.

I misunderstood what you meant but I still think you are a fucking moron if that is your mining rig.

The only thing he's right about is the case, I can't add more GPUs or an array of drives. Why is it stupid to buy a great computer that will pay for itself in 10 months? I have $8K profit from trading monero that I could put towards this which also means I retain something valuable if the price of monero crashes. Then after 10 months I can decide to continue printing free money, or I can use the computer for gaymes, cracking hashes, VMs all kinds of shit. The primary concern is mining crypto, but I'm going to use the machine for other things.

It's a mining rig first, but I want to do other things with it

Would my PC be able to run VR? Specifically the Vive. I ran the steamvr test demo and didn't drop below 90fps. It did say though that I could run vr games at medium to low settings.

pic is my specs

You could run VR, but I would invest in quality hardware before expensive headsets.

which would you recommend upgrading and what to upgrade to? I recently jumped from a 750ti to the 1050ti and from a dual core pentium to that i5

Hardware value depreciates incredibly fast. You are better off buy a cheap but suitable mining rig that can mine just as well as the one you posted because CPU and RAM doesn't matter when it comes to mining and then pay off your initial investment ASAP and then use the pure profit to actually buy a good rig that you don't have to tie up with mining 24/7. It takes 10 months minimum of mining 24/7 to pay off a 1.5k rig and you should have already worked that out yourself like you mentioned.

I have no idea why you are trying to make yourself sound so smart with your "I already made 8k profit from trading monero" when it is clear you are dumb as bricks and didn't even bother doing research. Anyone who spent even a few hours doing mining research knows you don't need a good processor or 16 GB of RAM to mine.
So you post your mining build here asking for opinions and r8s but can't handle people telling you that you are as dumb as a sack of potatoes because you put a coffee lake in a rig that doesn't require coffee lake.
What did you honestly expect? Praise?

Probably a 1060 or a 580.
A CPU upgrade would also be nice but it's expensive to go from DDR3 to DDR4.

I have a decade old full ATX board with a x4 965 BE CPU in it and a 6870 GPU, would it be worth it to get a drive, case and PSU to make this into a random loonix PC ? What could I use it for?

I feel bad having these parts around gathering dust. Literally.

Home server.
Streaming server.
Experimenting around with.
Etc

Need help, trying to get network adapters installed
>have network adapters on usb
>plug usb in
>light turns on, but not detected in device manager
>know the usb works since keyboard works in it, and the usb works on my old laptop

Universal Serial Bus controller properties
>the drivers for this device are not installed
How do I get the usb to work?

Sucks, honestly. The only reason that's mildly acceptable with the 1060 is that the 3GB and 6GB always have constant cores and the 3GB is an indication that it's a cut down card. Still shitty

Technically yes. Requirements for games vary. Not sure that you'll be able to run all games with a 1050Ti

Nigga calm down. He clearly wants to play games and mine at the same time. You might hate that mining drove up the price of graphics cards, but hate the game, not the player.

Sell it, you don't want it. Maybe keep the 6870 if you don't have a CPU with iGP

First timer here. I have a 6+2 to 8 pin cable that I'm using to connect my gpu to my psu. Both ports are 8-pin slots. Does it matter which end goes where?

It's not right with the 1060 either, because there are more differences than just 3 and 6 gb and it should be indicated.

Like I said, I'm going to be doing other things with it. A free computer in 10 months sounds pretty good to me despite your autistic ravings

>Nigga calm down. He clearly wants to play games and mine at the same time
No he didn't. He asked for people to r8 his mining rig but can't handle being BTFO.

8-pin goes in the PSU
6+2 goes in the video card

6+2 side goes toward graphics card

>Like I said, I'm going to be doing other things with it
>r8 my mining build Sup Forumsentlemen
If you are going to do other things with it, say so. If you are ask people to r8 your mining build, people are going to r8 it as a mining build and call you are dumb nigga because it is a horrible mining build.

Also it is a free computer in 10 months provided you keep it mining for 10 months 24/7, on the cheapest available electricity and the prices don't change.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but im seeing 1060s that have 3GB VRAM whereas my 1050ti has 4GB. im sure theres a lot more behind it than that but isnt more VRAM the main priority?

Don't buy the 3GB, buy the 6GB.

You might need the driver offered by the manufacturer. Google the adapter brand and model and try to find a support page with driver download.

Would something like this be feasible? I have a small form factor with my case.

Also how important is DDR4 RAM compared to DDR3?

With Direct X 12 and Vulkan becoming more prominent, is it inevitable that AMD will win the GPU and CPU battle in the next 5 years?

>isnt more VRAM the main priority?
Fuck no. Main priority is performance. 3GB 1060 is a lot more powerful than a 1050Ti, but it's also more expensive

3GB is for people who care about framerate and not so much a tiny difference in texture quality

halo Sup Forums am from /vg/ and asking how build 2 pc
cant necassarily post my budget since im not from based burgerland but just by converting with google its 295.950 USD
(actual budget may be flexible since i already have a working just below average "gaming" setup)

purpose is for gaming of course
monitor wise im not really looking for big setups.

my whole priority is being able to play newer games like the most currrent battlefront,battlefield or cod, not really gonna play them but im using them as benchmarks for what the average dedicated gaming pc can perform. not looking for ultra HD graphics or going for 60fps average. im okay just as long as i can play decently

and finally, since i already have a working setup i can definitely just swap around parts so i can focus on the main parts being CPU, graphics card and the motherboard

fucking forgot pic

You’re just nitpicking shit, you didnt “BTFO” me. Calm down

For VR isn't VRAM size very important, or am I misremembering.

Already have:
>i5 7600k
>8GB Ram
>GTX 960

Am considering upgrading my GPU to something around the price of the GTX 1080.

I will be using it primarily for gaming, and when not gaming, mining using NiceHash to make a bit of pocket money.

Before you ask:
>No I am not mining to pay back the card (that'll happen on its own eventually, and if it pays back the card overtime, then cool)
>Yes mining with an upgraded GPU like the 1080 will be profitable when accounting for electricity costs

So that said, what GPU should I go for? Or am I better waiting until early 2018 for new releases?

Is there a difference between brand A GTX 1080 and brand B GTX 1080? Some seem to list higher base and boost clocks from stock.

>With Direct X 12 and Vulkan becoming more prominent
Volta is a completely new architecture which might be good in DX12 while Vega is still a flop and RTG is still headless since Raja left.
But if you are asking if the Vega64 or the 1080 will be better 5 years from now. Yeah I can see the Vega64 outperforming the 1080 in DX12 optimized games.

How do you put the plugs from the case shit into the motherboard header pins?
Is it supposed to be snug or is it meant to barely even be connected at all?
Like I push the connector onto the pins and it only goes about half way and can come out quite easily if its jiggled or the cord moves but I really don't want to press harder for fear of bending the pins (and pushing any harder actually starts to bend my motherboard as its secured on the metal screwholes

Corsair have a lot of good information on this. Read the FAQ here:

corsair.com/en-us/vengeance-led-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-dram-2666mhz-c16-memory-kit-white-led-cmu16gx4m2a2666c16

For even more detail:

corsair.com/en-eu/blog/2015/november/ddr3-vs-ddr4

Not really about DX12 or Vulcan. Consoles have Radeon graphics. But no, I don't think AMD winning is in the cards. It's about brand/mindshare. Nvidia can just redesign its chips if need be

You know what is the purpose of a mining build? To mine and make profit. You asked people to r8 your build on that basis. Telling you are stupid for having expensive CPU, Mobo and RAM that doesn't benefit mining isn't nitpicking shit. It is proper advice.

But of course you can't handle being BTFO which is why you backpedalled into "b-b-b-but I was going to use it for other stuff too".

I can't handle monkeys like you who clearly have no idea what they are doing when they are getting into mining. You want to do mining right? Get mining right.
Buy a cheap rig that can mine. Pay it off fast. Make profit. Then in 10 months, use the profit to buy the CPU/Mobo/RAM you need which will be better than whatever you have build now. That is the better scenario and its called foresight. Which you have none.

Post speccy like this user Judging by most of the games, they have tiny texture budgets. The 970 was the original VR performance target

Any news on if/when ddr4 prices will drop?

Pretty ridiculous its the most expensive thing in my shopping cart.

Only thing I dont already have/have decided on is the cooler

Well the computrr isn't registering the usb even though I just used it to install windows and it works on my laptop, can't do shit without internet

>500 word essay on why I btfo you
lel nah m8

I think they will keep going up.

The 1080 finds itself in the 1440p range because it is too powerful for 1080p so you better be able to get a 1440p monitor if you don't already have one.

Mining will wear down the card and you'll only waste money if you don't sell it off when it's about to fail to some sucker down the road. Otherwise your best option is to sell early when you want to upgrade and not mine at all because people will be more willing to pay higher prices for cards that haven't aged as much and if you can tell them it wasn't used for mining.

Brand isn't what determines how good a card is, but the cooler does. Mini coolers are always a big compromise, don't buy them.
It might be hard to spot a better cooler but things like boost clocks, power phases, power connectors, and fan counts can clue you in. If you don't plan to overclock then an average cooler design will be suitable because it costs less.

Try buying on a different site/different model memory
The S340 is also overpriced
It could be a year until DDR4 drops

>AB350
No, go B350 at very minimum.

You are such a brainlet that it amuses me. If you can't handle critiques from random strangers that don't know you when you specifically asked for critiques, please don't post on Sup Forums.

No wonder you felt the need to brag about you "making profit". Given your posts and shallow thinking, it is 100% a lie.

ill post later when i get home

The front panel connectors are supposed to go all the way.

I dont doubt it :/

Ill be reusing me

620w PSU
240g SSD
and 1050ti

thats the "elite" s340 If I want I can grab the standard for $60

Thanks didnt notice the A

AB350 is B350 you retard. The A stands for AMD.
>A(MD)B350

>y-youre just a brainlet
>y-you can’t handle my complex critiques
kek
KEK

I don't even have a 1080p monitor, currently using 1680x1050.

I just figured if I buy the top of the line (or close to it) now, then it will last me a good 3-4 years gaming wise, in terms of being able to run high settings for a while yet.

What is also attractive about the 1080 is that it has a higher daily return than the 1070 or 1060 GB when mining using NiceHash.

Surely I could mine for 3 years, and if it shat itself during that time, claim warranty and deny I ever mined? Yes a bit shitty to do to the manufacturer, however I can live with that.

How much does mining say 18 hours a day degrade a GPU?

Ah yea that just seems to be Gigabytes naming theres no diff

Not him, but pretty sure AB has 1x16 PCIe and B has 2x16

Not him, but the build you posted isn't anything close to a strict mining build, which is his whole point

>Telling someone that expensive CPU, RAM and mobo aren't needed for mining is complex critiques
Keep exposing yourself as the moron you are.
The fact that you need to reply kek KEK to my post shows how immature and childish you are. Like you MUST have the last word when your last word has absolutely no value to the conversation.

found an old one, but its not updated since i changed my processor to an amd a6 some months ago

When are new GPUs set to arrive?

Are we talking a couple months or closer to 6 months+?

Any news on performance improvements over current gen?

How cheap could I do it? Anywhere to get good deals on stuff? It seems to me it will be 25 dollars for a PSU at the lowest, 20 for a case and then storage.

Who in the world would buy it? How much?

Super cheap if you buy everything 2nd hand.

See Also, you're basically screwed with memory prices.
It will cost you less in the long run to buy a 1060 (either model, 6GB will last longer) and not mine at all. The 1080 for twice as much will not last you twice as long.
One thing to note with mining is that you'll only make a profit if your coin rises substantially and if you can overprice it when you sell a broken card.
If your card's memory dies, then RMA will (likely) not help you because of improper use of hardware.
Ryzen doesn't even have 32 open lanes.

Volta is an entirely new architecture. Might be good. Might be a dud like vega. We won't know. Announcement in Q1 so expect it to be available in Q2.

As for AMD, probably Vega refresh in late Q1/Q2. As for new cards? No idea. RTG is a complete mess right now.

looks like local craigslist has a couple deals on used ddr4 Ill likely get the ram used, and the rest of the stuff from microcenter

I think we worked out many posts ago that the computer is for multiple purposes, yet you continue to reply to me insisting that you’ve blown me the fuck out. I think your post is nothing but projection

>tfw finished building my pc but the psu doesn't work and have to wait a week for a new one.

>Ryzen doesn't even have 32 open lanes.
They probably run in 2x8 when both are in use

>improper use of hardware
How would the retail store or manufacturer know what I was using it for though? If I did mine but claimed I didn't, how would the store/manufacturer know the truth?

When I say last longer, I'm not referring to physical longevity, I mean a 1080 will still get me high FPS etc. 2-3 years from now, where a 1060 will be slow at that point.

Wrong. You only claimed it was multipurpose here after people (including me called you an idiot) here and and and and and .

And only after those posts showed you how unfeasible your entire mining rig is. That is called backpedaling. Again if you can't handle being called a retard, don't post like a retard.

Dell 3007 WFP 30" 2560 x 1600 for $150 near by

Should I? only douwn side is slow refresh.....

You're probably looking at a G4560 or R3 1200 and 1050Ti. Including mobo and RAM that'll be about 350USD

You remind me of me
Sure, he made a shitty rig for mining. Sure, he didn't explain his purposes well. Let it go

any advice on getting a "standard" mobo nowadays? i bought that setup some years ago and it was originally an office pc, asked around and it seems that the motherboard can only handle up to the amd a6 and can no longer support any higher

also had problems with multiple hard drives since i *should* be using four but it can no longer read the fourth one so i took it out

planning to get a decent mobo and then base my build up from there onwards. would be great if its also compatible with my other parts so i can use something while i save up money for other parts

I honestly don't understand why people post on this thread asking people to r8 their build and then can't handle it when people tell them their build is shit. Then they can defensive and come up with a million reasons why their build isn't shit. I wanted too much post on that idiot. Of course, it was a fucking leaf.

That’s because your first 10 posts were you sperging out about energy prices and thinking I said I made 1.5K in a week. Just face it, you’re a sperg. You’d have sperged out no matter what I posted

Tell me why my build is shit again? Other than the case you’re made 0 good points