/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/eMtwGjJX

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/xhybjeRciYg
lineageos.org/Changelog-15/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Looking to upgrade from s6 and want to spend around $500

All I need is a phone with a good camera for product photography

Any recommendations?

>Budget 600$
What to pick from pic related?

Just cancelled my OP5T order because I want to wait for more reviews of the camera. I need a good new phone, and OP5T is nearly perfect except for this. No Pixel 2 in my country, and I tried and hated the S8.

S8. It's what I chose, but it hasn't come in the mail yet, so don't trust me just yet.

Any reasons not to go for the Huawei Mate 10?

S8 is more water and dust resistant, has a better screen, but the matte 10 has 1000mah more than the S8.
Whichever you prefer to lose out on i guess.

Not him, but here's my two cents.

I really like the Mate 10, is a fucking beast in every aspect, but it has two deal breakers for me.

The first one, it keeps the 16:9 aspect ratio while shrinking the bezels, giving it a more quadrangular shape. The second, EMUI. I just don't like it at all: it's smooth, yeah, but that's about it.

Mate 10 or 10 Pro

Shit screen and shit battery life. Check battery tests and you'll see that the Huawei is a scam. Bigger number doesn't mean anything if it isn't optimized

I've installed almost every weather app in both play store and F-Droid, and I couldn't find a satisfactory widget for the home screen. How can I make one myself?

iPhone 7
Or put in a little extra and get the 7 Plus which is more worth it imo.
I saved up money for a while to get the 7 Plus and it was worth every penny. Got it on sale too.

Screen isn't important as long I don't see the pixels.
Water and dust resistant, nice to have but not important for me.
The extra 1000 mAh is very appealing.
But the future of DeX accessories is what keeps me pondering if i should get The S8 instead, like pic related.
>16:9 aspect ratio while shrinking the bezels
Why is that bad?
>EMUI
I keep hearing bad things about it, never owned a huawei device, And the only samsung I used was Galaxy S3 and my experience with Touchwiz was not satisfactory at all.
Both have the same specs, Mate 10 have headphone jack and LCD screen so maybe I'll go with that.
>Shit screen and shit battery life
I'm not using the phone as desktop replacement, as for the battery life as long I can squeeze 4 hours I can get by the day.
Also Huawei says the AI chip help improving battery life over time.
My siblings use iPhones 6S, It looks great and all but I'm not very fond of iOS.
And Android 8 and USB-C provide much more.

>Android 8 and USB-C provide much more
much more what?

> The first one, it keeps the 16:9 aspect ratio while shrinking the bezels, giving it a more quadrangular shape.
That’s a good thing, long phone screens are cancer.
KWGT (or KLWP if you want it in the wallpaper). /w/ phone thread can probably help you better.

USB-C is future proof, and Android 8 promise to be a desktop replacement with features that aren't available to iOS.
Also iOS force you to be locked to the environment, Android doesn't.
Not to mention with project treble you'll get as close as to stock android as you can and keep to the latest updates as well.

>Android 8 promise to be a desktop replacement
I doubt it. Phones are terrible at x86 application support. Also you could already turn your Android device into desktop since the Galaxy S3. All you need is a HDMi converter and a kb+m. Other phones tried doing this in the past but it never took off because what I said above, poor x86 support and you may as well use a real computer if youre going to be wired.

>Upgrading your phone upgrade your laptop as well
Modular design as well.
Why isn't this a thing yet?
inb4 superbook

>long phone screens are cancer.
this is cancer

What's the X220 of smartphones?

2:1 is patrician aspect ratio.

>/w/
Never been in that board, I'll try there. Thank you user.

>you could already turn your Android device into desktop since the Galaxy S3
Mirroring isn't the same as desktop mode.
And back then you were limited by the hardware and software.
Now most device have hardware that rivals the current laptop/desktops, and many applications are written for the ARM architecture, There's even demand to run Android applications on X86, that's why we have AndroidX86 and Chrome extensions that can run android apps.
Even chromebooks can run android natively now.
Not to mentions most of the applications that's used in every day tasks are ported to ARM.
And if you really need X86 there's always VM.

Why did you hate the S8?

gaaaa why are phones so slippery!

Probably some random chinkphone or perhaps the Samsung Active series.

Y/n for backup phone?

Nvr getting 4 of those lol

lol

I had a look at a Sony XZ1 Compact today, was disappointed, mainly the bezels and thickness put me off, I think I will hold out and see what the SE2 is like, I'm mainly after a small phone as I want to go back to comfy one handed typing after using a couple of phablets (SGN3/MediaPadX2) the X2 is just too bloody big

Don't you need a service plan to go along with the device? Personally I would never buy a brand new phone as a "backup", because all it's going to do is sit around losing value. I kept my old Galaxy SII as a backup phone, and since I upgraded in January 2015, I've used it exactly twice: once in 2016 for about 2 weeks after my LG G4 got the bootloop, and then again just this past weekend after the Canadian government mandated free unlocking for all phones (I turned it on to get it unlocked). So in the past 3 years, it has seen maybe 16 days of use. That's a utilization rate of about 1.4%. Why would you buy a brand new phone for that instead of using some old piece of shit? If you don't have an old phone lying around, you can usually pick up ancient Androids from thrift shops for around $20. They're good enough for what you need them to do, which is to stay connected while your regular phone gets fixed or replaced. You don't need an enterprise-grade backup solution.

My dad has a Passport. I personally don't really get it, but he absolutely loves it. It's unique and I have to admit the huge screen is great for reading documents and other productivity related tasks.

you can comfortably type on a 5" screen one handed

gf has an iphone s4 and keeps complaining how shit it is, whats the next logical step? She likes my Pixel but that's out of her price range.

Thinking of something around £150?

Been using my Meizu Pro 7 plus all day today, impressed with battery life, camera image quality, UI smoothness, and the screen.

It's got its flaws too though but I'll be posting a mini review sometime tomorrow so I'll cover them there.

HTC U11 or Huawei P10? Really want to abandon the fucking sinking ship that my P9 lite is.

Htc u11 supposed to be nice, ns about huawei

How could anyone recommend a phone without a headphone port?
It's ridiculous.

I mean the phone is real nice, the screen is a beauty and it is snappy, but I can't stand the touchwiz UI. If I buy one I'll have to do like I did my old chink phone: customize it to death so the experience is bearable.

But at this price I want more than a bearable experience, I want the smoothness of an OP.

>Can buy used, unlocked Blackberry Priv for CAD $180, ~$140 freedombux
>Overall good condition with a few scuffs here and there

Worth it? Seems like a bargain considering the phone originally sold for like $899. Also keyboard. I just can't tell if it is factory unlocked or recently unlocked by the carrier, and the seller either doesn't know or won't say.

What's the best camera app tp use on a Galaxy Note 3?

>you need headphone ports to use phones
False.

not long switched from iphone to s8. no regrets

the camera on this 5T is disappointing but its probably getting a lot better with updates
Otherwise, this phone is pure bliss, i dont care if some chink knows what apps i open more often. Cant wait for Oreo.

5t owner here too, camera isn't up to snuff with pixel 2 and apples offering but I think it's still better than the competition at it's price point. Would have to agree with everything else you said every else is imo as good as or better than pixel 2 xl. Only real debate you could have is the 1440 v 1080p resolution which is worse but not noticable enough for me to care even coming from a phone with ~500 ppi. I'd rather a lower res non blue shift and burn in prone display.

I'm on the verge of buying the OP5T because there's ni Pixel 2 in my country, but I worry about the cam.

I don't want the best cam, but I want a good one. Not a terrible one. I've read lots of reviews and opinions from early adopters, and it goes from "good" to "absolutely terrible".

just look at the photos yourself, good light, bad light, HDR and so on, and decide for yourself if it satisfies you or not

Need a cheap phone with a good camera and am looking at old flagship phones like the Galaxy S5 to replace my shitty Huawei y6 elite.

Besides the s5, can people offer similar good phones from the past that are still quite future proof?

note 4

Galaxy Note 5

guys, what should I do if my min frequency is stuck and can't be changed from kernel adiutor ? The only thing i didn't try is to do a clean install of the rom, and then flash the kernel again. Sadly, i don't know when i will have more than 15 minutes in peace in order to format and fresh setup my phone. therefore a workaround is needed. Redmi note 3 pro + LineageOS 14 + Radon kernel

U11 got the best camera of the year in my opinion, looked at P10 as well but U11 is better all around, the headphones that comes with the phone is very good for being with the phone, else buy bluetooth most are good, human ears can't hear the "super fidelity sound omg" it's just people who jerks off to being a "sound expert".

So Bixby Voice

I can't create a custom open command for any app? I mean its cool for like me hoping in the car and just saying Open Map and Drive Home but if I could control any app that would be amazing

I'd give it an 8/10 if the pixel was a 10/10 the over quality may be slightly worse than that of 1000 dollar flag ships but it's still fast as hell and has a lot of features, don't let it hold you back

anyone have any thoughts on the Moto X4? Is androidone a meme?

Is the Moto G5S Plus worth waiting for, or should I just go for the Moto G5 Plus?

Do you guys think the G5S Plus will be under $300 unlocked?

Just got an S8+. Does this thing really not show me the batter level of my bluetooth headphones?

>worth waiting for
What do you mean, It's been out for months

Technigger made a pretty good video for once, I actually learned something
youtu.be/xhybjeRciYg

Seems like a decent phone but you got S7, op5t and a5 in somewhat similar price range which might be better phones depending on what you are looking for.
Updates and less bloat is not a meme.

Review of the Nokia 8
>no notification LED
>headphone jack inconvenienly at the top
>slow and kinda unreliable fingerprint scanner
>touch issues when phone charges
>no handy software features like night light

All in all it's a downgrade from my Oneplus 3

So what features does Lineage have over stock besides less bloat and botnet

I need a phone and I have $250 what do. I live in the USA and need it for att

Maybe a refurbished/used iPhone SE. It has the iPhone 6s' guts in the 5s body. There is probably an SE2 coming around March 2018, but the 4s is a pretty damn old phone at this point. The SE would be a massive upgrade.

gonna flash resurrection remix onto my moto g4 plus.
Wish me luck boys

Nightly or weekly versions if your device is officially supported plus you get security patches faster.

Man this is more than enough for me. Do other OP5T owners agree with this note?

Moto G5S Plus or G5 Plus (just don't get the 2gb RAM version). iPhone SE if you prefer iOS.

I’m getting the LG V30, anyone know how to root it (or can point me in the right direction)? Just wanna get rid of all the bloatware but never done anything like this before

What model do you have? Only certain models can be rooted...

Check XDA...

I'm buying my sister a new phone for Christmas. She's on Sprint. I'm looking at either the V20, G5 or the Essential Phone. She wants a removable battery and an SD card slot and preferably a headphone jack. Is there another alternative I'm missing here?

Fug, the AT&T version. Looks like a no :[

>get my iPhone replaced under warranty from cex
>The replacement is fucking activation locked

Uhhhh take it back, Brian?

Dropped my phone in some soup.

Is there a way to dry it out quicker? Can i airbrush it or will that just make it worse?

Airbrushing will just push the moisture further into the phone. Just hang it with the port facing downwards and let it dry that way.

New version of LineageOS is out:

lineageos.org/Changelog-15/

Yeah, thats what i was thinking. I always wireless charge anyway, only use the port for Android Auto.

Guess ill just bluetooth it to the car today. Thanks.

Jumped the gun. Meant to write "new changelog" instead of "new version".

Looking to get a new android phone this year but I’m stuck between the Pixel 2 and the HTC U11 (Verizon), or any other phone I haven’t thought of. I’ve thought about the Lg G6 but haven’t heard many opinions about it.

Deciding betwen:
Xperia Z1 Play - 440€
Pixel 2 - 600€
iPhone SE - 340 €

I am not getting into ROMs. I loved doing it but I grew very tired. Kinda sorta prefer Android but not really important.

Money is an issue, priorities are camera and battery.

Deciding betwen:
Xperia *XZ1 Compact* - 440€
Pixel 2 - 600€
iPhone SE - 340 €

I am not getting into ROMs. I loved doing it but I grew very tired. Kinda sorta prefer Android but not really important.

Money is an issue, priorities are camera and battery.

disregard this post
this one is the good one

Just so you know, HTC U11 is said to work with Verizon, but it is reported to have a lot of problems. VoWifi, MMS, Verizon's voicemail, only LTE (no 3G or 1X service at all, and stuck on band 13 for LTE). You can root it and unlock bands 2 and 4, but are still without anything 4G. Other users have reported losing voice and messaging services periodically and without rhyme or reason, and if you are coming from a phone without advanced calling options, you will have some difficulty getting it to accept your SIM and will need to co tact tech support for support.

Great phone, but seems quite handicapped on Verizon networks. I'd strongly suggest looking into the problems if you really want it, or just going with the Pixel 2.

Ignoring price, would you get a Note 8 or an S8 active?
I'm leaning towards the Active for the bigger battery and headphone jack but maybe I'm not considering enough.

Thinking of snagging a v20 is the H910 good? I heard the us996 version had terrible updates.

They both have a headphone jack

dip it in pure alcohol to displace all the water

Really? I wonder why I thought the note didn't for some reason.

The Note 8 has a better camera but, both have the same important features like OIS and phase detection autofocus

Pls respond

Essential

compact

Oukitel Mix 2?

First 30 units $99 @ Gearbest

I just updated to Android 8.1.0 and it gives me a flickering notification for my VPN app (the actual PIA app notification, not the system key one)
It's annoying. Anyone any idea how to fix it?

I managed to fuck it up and now I can't unlock the bootloader again and root the device

You know what to do.

Two things:

1) How the fuck are phones of this year so expensive? What the fuck did they improve that justifies this price bump? Fucking iPhone x for $999 - how is this a thing?

2) does anyone own a huawei mate 10 pro? Does it have an app button, dedicated or using the fingerprint sensor, like the honor series?

guys do you think that a samsung a3 2017 2 gb ram will last 3-4 years or do i need to find something with more Ram. i currently use a iphone 4s and i don't really care for videogames or movies. i just want a small device with no lag and a decent lasting battery

I've done research for a week and I still can't bring myself to a definite conclusion. Do I get the galaxy s7, s7 edge, or the s8?

but user I'm too poor for a new phone right now