/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for newbies:
youtube.com/watch?v=JEhAlzqmhA4

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

hodinkee.com/articles/charles-vermot-the-man-who-saved-the-el-primero-and-possibly-zenith
ebay.com/itm/Seiko-World-Time-Lcd-Ulta-Raro-Con-Scatola/232579228181?
youtu.be/halpdw6ujPo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

So the Omega website says that the basic moon watch (reference 311.30.42.30.01.005) has the 1861 movement, which is the decorated version of the 861.
Even though it has a solid caseback.

QUESTION: is it possible that, in the past, Omega sold moon watches with the 861 under the exact same reference number?

Nice clock Ahmed

that is a good question.

Thanks OP i have a roomate that i hate that is flying away for for christmas holiday...

I might have just enough time to mod my old casio into something like that and put it in her luggage ...

but i do know i miss teh 321

You are welcome user, just note that it's just a timer in the pic, you will need to add in the explosives too.

Am I a pleb for not liking metal bracelets?

>op posts nip shit digital terrorist watch
>only other post has filthy slav canibals and heads
why am i not surprised? Do all your seiko casio fags feel the need to murder? You guys want to help re-invade china?

Holy shit, it's a bitter swatch male.

DON'T YOU DARE CALL ME A SWATCH MALE I AM JUST A RUN OF THE MILL SHITPOSTER DOING MY FUCKING DUTY.

You and me both, then.

if you feel you need help just leave your address here

The story behind the new El Primeros is pretty cool, for the unitiated hodinkee.com/articles/charles-vermot-the-man-who-saved-the-el-primero-and-possibly-zenith

70 bucks for this piece of shit Bergeon wheel remover tool, fucking Swiss, it's just a slightly different cannon-pinion remover!

At least it works well.

Must suck working with these swiss brands when you need specialized tools for each like the rolex caseback opener etc bullshit.
Why can't they just use parts with normal standards?
Personally I even hate the star screws.

I want to jump into the vintage lcd watch train.
Should I bid on this watch?
ebay.com/itm/Seiko-World-Time-Lcd-Ulta-Raro-Con-Scatola/232579228181?

There's no way around chronograph driving wheels, they've been designed this way since watch chronographs existed. Only problem is Bergeon is the only one I know of that makes this tool. Without it I give about a 90% chance the fourth-wheel pinion will get bent.

Pic related, a fourth wheel from a chrono. Sub-seconds hand goes on one end, the chronograph driving wheel on the other. You need this tool to pull the wheel off at an EXACTLY 90° angle, else it gets bent, and even if you bend it back accurate timekeeping is likely no more.

Oh I see, my bad.
I will definitely stay away from mechanical chronograph movements.

The nips even use swiss tools.

oh shit boys new bezels

So the slavshit Komandirskie Chistopol which got some hate a few days ago just arrived in the mail. I cleaned it up and put it on a brown saddle leather strap. Looks fine for a 20€ watch and it’s keeping excellent time since this morning.

> 20€ watch
You overpaid.

Nah I don’t think so. I put it back on eBay for 45€ and the listing has 4 followers so far. I posted it like 2h ago. I bet I’ll flip it within a week.

Good morning wt

Hey /wt/ have you heard about this thing? I've just learned about it yesterday.

So the Russian Army has the new Ratnik infantry combat system, which consists of a wide range of gear, armor, chest rigs, tactical computer, NVG, radio, etc. with apparently one part of the system being the Ratnik officer's wristwatch.

Basically the Ratnik watch is an upside-down 060 Amphibia assembled somewhere in Moscow, BUT some early versions are said to have a three-position crown with a date quickset that Vostok later abandoned because of reliability issues.

It's ugly, it's already faked, it's just an overpriced Amphibia, but supposedly it's and original military-issue field watch, which is very rare nowadays, especially an automatic. Opinoins or more info?

Russian army still doesn't recognize the benefits of quartz in combat situations:
>More reliable in most sitautions (shock resistance, magnetic resistance etc).
>More ACCURATE (which is the most important thing in a military situation).
>No digital display to count (Important in artillery especially).
>Cheaper and easier to replace

Hey there, fellow cosmo-cunt, great condition!

I just finished this one yesterday, so far it's -4s slow after a day. I'm going to sell it, but I'm not sure if I should re-lume it with SL or leave the factory dead black lume on. Also apparently the factory lume tends to eat the hands.

I assume the Russian MoD requirement was that components of the Ratnik-system should all be domestic-made. This is common with military programs in countries that have a large arms industry (USA, Russia, China, France, Israel, etc).

Since Russia has no quartz movement manufacturers Vostok wins by default. Also the basis for the Ratnik, the Amphibia is already a watch designed originally for the military.

if you can relume it well it will sell for more. The hands look like absolute shit

Ordinarily I'd say not to relume but that looks like it's in pretty bad condition. Here my opinion would be to go for it.

What batteries do these use by the way? I've got a one piece 7803a (like yours, but with a black dial - believe your one piece is white?) But it didn't come with a battery.

quartz watches are also not nuke proof and batteries are for homosexuals

Russia has produced many quartz watches in the past, hell their lapdog Belarus still produces Luch quarts, they could use those or better yet, set up their own quartz production again or buy needed machinery from Asia, instead they went to easy route or using their outdated mechanicals for the project.
A good comparison would be some poor country using muskets when they couldn't produce their own assault rifles.

Nuke proof watches are irrelevant since the assumption is that when nukes are used, the game is already over. You do not need to operate in a environment filled with radiation and destroyed electronics.

There's some give in the battery slot so the standard is either the SR43/386/SR1142/AG12 or the slightly larger SR44/357/AG13 battery. Both will fit fine.

tactical nukes faggot

Well issued watches rarely see any actual use, most soldiers will just buy and wear a better one. It's been like this since at least Vietnam. I'd bet that most Russian infantry will be using Casios.

Also we don't even know if the dreaded EMP even effects the simple electronics of a basic analog quartz watch. I think the last surface nuclear test was before the invention of the IC.

>TFW you will never own a brushed bracelet with polished links watch.

Thanks user

>This fucking faggot would use "tactical nukes" against mother fucking RUSSIA
Look at this smart ass over here.

>R

Well you could put an Ebay bracelet on an Amphibia and it wouldn't be as ugly as that Memega.

Nice bait.
That watch is fantastic.

Nice folded links.

No need to be upset.

Why do you feel the need to shitpost about Omega? Vintage omega is my favorite watch company and i am not too happy about the current state of Omega but i don't constantly derail threads shitposting about it. They still make a few nice watches and they actually have excellent finishing.

Who's shitposting?

What is the consesus on the H.Moser & Cie brand?

These:

If Ivan/Dimitry can't be fucked to make sure there aren't any metal shavings in the movements, how can you be sure amphibias are even water-proof?
I feel like you're all just getting memed with these soviet watches

Xth for my digital lcd watch is better than yours.

Basic haute horlogerie brand. Makes nice looking stuff. Their recent perpetual calendar is a cool idea though I don't actually like the ultra minimalist execution.

High quality independent manufacturer. Too bad they are too thick for dress pieces.

That's not bad actually. Much better than the shitty chink folded bracelet made out of recycled Zyklon-B cans.

>the shitty chink folded bracelet made out of recycled Zyklon-B cans
Which one is that?

not him but omega is cartier/panerai tier at this point and the reissue line is so fucking lazy its just what i expected from them

that's great user, i love it

All of them.

hmm was looking at this timex and nezumi loews. not sure if ill like this for the long term.

The seamaster 300 bracelet links are folded?
Source?

is it better to buy from zenitar or meranom? the latter has free shipping
also, is the ministry case as big as it looks?

they're not. he's a troll.

personally i think the watch looks shit on a bracelet and the finishes don't really match very well, but the quality is going to be fine

Well, aside from the SARB tier overly radiused case edges, heavily distorted mirror polishing, and garbage Chinese outsourced bracelet.

>SARB tier overly radiused case edges
>heavily distorted mirror polishing
And the folded links, riiiiiiiiight?

Ignore the smudges in this image because they aren't relevant to the things I want you to look at. Look at the polished center links in that bracelet and notice how the reflection in them is distorted both horizontally and vertically. That's because the surface of each of those polished links in convexed by the polishing belt(s) used to apply the polished finish. That 3D rounding over of a polished surface comes from doing it too quickly with high speed polishing belts. The same applies to the case edges, doing it too fast with too high speed a belt causes too much of the corner of the case edge to be rounded over, leading to those "lozenged" edges. People used to shopping for vintage watches might have an easier time catching this kind of thing because we're used to looking for it as a black mark against a vintage watch (as it indicates it's been overly polished).

>Look at the polished center links in that bracelet and notice how the reflection in them is distorted both horizontally and vertically
Kind of like pic related?
Also, you can't see shit in that pic.

>"lozenged" edges
Like the lugs on pic related?

>buy 20k watch
>scratch the fuck out of it

watches are meant to be worn faggot

Questions about quartz watches;
How does the average quartz fare in shock resistance?
I live in Holland so naturally I bike a lot, I always carry my mechanicals in a pocket or a bag because the roads are often cobblestones.

Would you recommend the same for quartz watches? Especially say 80s seikos etc? or does a quartz crystal not really mind the odd bump or two

The crystal itself will be fine. Remember though that analog quartz watches still have a geartrain (just no balance or escape wheel). Assuming you're talking about common stepper motor quartz watches, that's the part that would be most sensitive to shocks. I wouldn't be super worried about it.

Those lugs are very finely radiused. Virtually all watchmakers radius their case edges, the issue is that when it is done too fast on to0 high speed a belt you end up creating too large a radius that makes the case look very cheap. Here is a quick comparison I threw together using a Rolex Explorer 114270 and an older Omega Aqua Terra (which had seriously excessive case rounding on the older models). Looking at the two side by side may help you see how overly radiused case edges made a watch case look cheap.

G-Shock, you fucking nigger.

Good morning. Does that one also have the interesting date quickset?

Radiuses look fine to me.

It can't be that bad, right? I bike with my Alpenis all the time.

fuck me dead that's a good looking piece

Thanks bro.
I should have specified regarding impact on accuracy as well as damage
No monkey, I don't need the watch to bike, I just want to know if it's worth taking off for the ride or not.

Yep.

whoops meant to thank

we were talking about the bracelet mongoloid. why are you talking about the watch when i made no mention of it in my comment?

what would the battery life be on that?
100 years?

guys pls help
does meranom take paypal?

A quartz crystal is vibrating at 32khz - the time scale over which it experience a bump from biking is way too long for it to care at all.

youtu.be/halpdw6ujPo
I like it when people say they are pointless. They are hypnotic to watch though.

Why does Archie have those 2 bumps on his head anyway?

>emulating this disgusting miserable fuck

just kys

start and reset bumpers.

buyee or fromjapan?
Shipping to EU

I think nobody pressed the reset in a long time.

Why no zenmarket

is it better?
I'm new at this breh

Receives shilling instructions telepathically from Switzerland.

Buyee works for me, but I never tried the other one.

At 41mm Ministry is still small by modern diver standards.