Coding bootcamps?

What's everyone's opinion on coding bootcamps?

Long story short I'm a 28 year old guy with a Bachelors degree in game design, a program that requires basic programming courses and no math whatsoever. The university itself was a great school with a pretty great reputation in our area, but the major was new and it seemed like the faculty was kind of flying by the seat of their pants.

After years of trying to keep up with game design majors from all over the world I no longer want to make games at all. I've been working at a Best Buy since I graduated and make around $350/weekly. Recently one of those coding boot camps opened in my city, $4500 for 12 weeks of study with industry professionals.
Is this a good opportunity?

I've also considered going back to college but that's significantly more expensive and would take about four years for me to get my MS because I have so much math to catch up on. In addition I'm also considering doing the boot camp and taking some CS courses at the same time.

>coding bootcamp
>not a bootcamp
>not coding
>$4500
You could teach yourself for free.

Fbpb

Yeah I've considered this, but seeing as I've been trying to self-teach for the past bunch of years since I graduated and haven't made any serious headway on moocs or udemy, I thought I might take a class or something since I did so well in school (despite having a shitty major).

Pay 4000$ for bootcamp. Say stfu fuck face first day. Who wins?

>bachelors in games design
What the fuck is wrong with you? Why didn't you do Software Eng.?

Should had study a real degree, CSE, EE, instead. That's what you get for running away from math. How does it feel to be conned?
Then again, I'd been coding since high school

>tfw bivalent high school
>tfw made to IOI
>tfw participated in up to state level IOM
>tfw CSE
>tfw MSc SE
>tfw making my own games and loving it.

Your money my dude, but $4500/12 weeks = $375 per week, which is more than you make

Why don't you do a programming course at a trade school?

>tfw so insecure I have to vomit my accomplishments at every possible opportunity

That makes perfect sense to me man. I do have a fund leftover from college with about $25k in it that can only be used for education, but I don't want to break the bank on some $50-100k MS program. My local university offers an MS in Computer Science with bridge courses included at around $35k and I'm considering it. It's a highly theoretical university though, lots of AI type stuff and not a ton of industry practical courses.

Yeah this is fair, I wish I had known then what I know now.

My university had CS and Game Design, no software eng. I tried to get into CS and my advisors told me it was a bad idea and that if I really want to get into web dev (which is my dream job) most businesses don't care about thinks like AI and evolutionary computation, they'd rather see someone with business experience, and fizzbuzz level coding, which is what the Game Design degree primarily focused on.

I learned the 'adults aren't always right and don't always have your best interests in mind' way too late.

>implying
That's not even half of my achievements tho. Just some old shit I did.
But I do pity the people who get into "gamedev" and think they know how to code. Poor guys don't even understand basic units when working with physics and think a game and a simulator are the same thing.

>if I really want to get into web dev (which is my dream job)
Dude, webdev is easier thatn gamedev. Just start learning some decent frameworks. Perhaps some PS/Gimp and you're set.
Also I recommend you to get some books on project management so get the basics of running a project down.

Protip: when allotting time to a project, leave a 20% buffer for all the shit that can and will go wrong.
>start planning how are you gonna learn that shit.

>tryhard faggot gets BTFO
>bbb-but thats not all
top kek little bitch

>>tryhard
>can't even enjoy being a fucking turbo nerd
Actually smiling when replying to your post.

that's funny because I am indifferent just like how everybody acts when you toot your own horn

Oh yeah, look at that indifference

This is a good call, thanks.

Yeah for real it's a meme now

Funniest thing is that with the current engines is not even that hard to make a game nowadays. Just pick your poison and get to code

PS Unity is utter shit.

If you haven't been able to learn on your own, you aren't going to be able to learn in a code camp.

I tried a udacity nanodegree and really learned a lot of stuff . Plus you don't have to quit your job. They have free trials. I recommend it.

Contact WGU
see how many credits from your existing degree will transfer
Get a degree in software development over six months for $3000
Get paid

Don't be dumb user

>nanodegree
wut?

>A federal investigation conducted on WGU concluded in September 2017 that it did not comply with the institutional eligibility requirement that limits the percentage of regular students who may enroll in correspondence courses. According to the audit, many courses do not offer regular and substantive interaction with an instructor and, therefore, do not meet the regulatory definition of distance education.

>Still accredited
:)

It seems all you need to learn is to risk your money on it, so I give you a proposition
>give me 2k$ (less than half of coding bootcamp, since you're shit at math)
>I'll write at least once everyday to remind you to learn programming

>all the ones I look at are nearing 20k to get in

What the fuck

Where the fuck are you looking