You are approached by a being with mystical powers. It says you can't use linux otherwise you will die...

You are approached by a being with mystical powers. It says you can't use linux otherwise you will die.. What OS will you use

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tc4ROCJYbm0
youtube.com/watch?v=XvDZLjaCJuw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

GNU/Linux

Freedom or death

Windows 10

Jokes on you, I want to die. Time to install Linux.

GNU/Hurd.
Use my mystical powers so make it dabes.

Mac OS just to piss you off faggot.

>fork linux
>replace all instances of linux with lunix
>install gnu/lunix

A few years ago I would've said Windows.

Now I'm so used to Linux I'd have to say OSX.

Same....Not macOS but Mac OSX , the last actual good version

Since Linux isn't an OS, Solus.

mac os. Unix and looks better.

macOS, FreeBSD, DragonflyBSD or OpenBSD.

I guess I die then. Can't abandon Android or at least PureOS on mobile. Can't abandon Linux on desktop because Apple is shit and BSD is too. I guess I'd use MacOS for a while to test and work on ReactOS and hopefully in a few years have it desktop ready.

Not relevant. You just cannot use an OS that uses Linux as its kernel.

DOS. In fact, if there's beings with mystical powers i'd be more interested in them than using a computer.

I guess any *BSD would do

Linux because my superior intellect allows me to reason that beings with mystical powers fundamentally cannot exist. This "mystical being" is simply a farce and I have nothing to fear

Now excuse me, I have anime's I should be watching

Haiku, the meme unix-based os that will never be

>It says you can't use linux otherwise you will die
Oh fuck yeah

This. I guess it's the only choice aside from OS X.
Or... Linux and let's end this.

Gentoo and make it look like Winders.

I have magic powers too bitch.

>otherwise you will die

alright, so what are the cons ?

use Linux

GNU/Linux

start using Linux

kek
Captcha: private orange

uh oh, mactoddler with no clue what he's talking about spotted

you understand that they simply renamed Mac OS X to macOS right? it's still the same kernel you mongoloid

Some BSD thing. It probably runs Firefox fine. All I do is browse internet and stream hentai and make memes on gimp. May be it could do even faster.

If only death were that simple...
I can't kill myself, because my brother, nor my younger sister deserves suffering.
Waiting for them to get their own lives and become distant to them.
Then I will.

I'm gonna use unix (not the gay forks) and windows then figure out what to do with my phone

I'd be happy with any of these for a workstation:
OS X, *BSD, *Illumos, Haiku, Windows
I'd be willing to go full autist if I had to and try Plan9

IRIX

>Linux is not an OS
Linux is the system which operates the hardware, it's certainly not GNU (or any other userland) that's doing that, they make calls to the operating system, they are a shell overtop of the OS which the user interacts with.

>make calls to the operating system
wrong, they make calls to the kernel. the operating system is the kernel in combination with all of the system utilities shipped with the kernel. as retarded as the GNU/LINUCKS meme is, semantically speaking it's not incorrect. Linux does nothing but provide software a way to interact with hardware. an os will ship with a shell which is a user space application that allows the user to interact with the kernel, this shell and other system utilities packaged on top of the linux kernel comprises an operating system.

is there any other choice but Mac OS when wangblows exists?

man that video was so cool desu

FreeBSD is good enough for browsing so I'd use that.

a GNU/Linux* operating system

Whatever allows me to do a GPU pass through and use Windows to play my video games.

One of the BSD's or Maybe try out OS X cuz yea

>You are approached by a being with mystical powers.
Wait, really? I will make a video and photos and post them online, bragging to my friends, ha ha I got you here, right? Friends... I bind it to my malefic device of sould binding aka cell phone, sell photos to newspapers, movie rights to hollymoot, use its powers to prove P=NP, build a startup that develops the first mythical powered CPUs and operating systems (FOSS obviously), crashing AMD and intel, microsoft, apple, etc. buying them for peanuts, filling the world with little wish fullfilling devices, eliminating hunger, crime, war, etc.
Wait, he did ask a question...
>What OS will you use
What is an OS?

Sorry Richard, it's never going to happen, the kernel is the operating system proper, no matter how hard you try to redefine that.

GNU isn't really used except for glib though, bash and the coreutils are extraneous junk on a modern system

If you're going to call it GNU over such minor shit it might as well be vim/systemd/linux instead.

This is why stallman explicitly says GNU+linux makes a complete POSIX compatible OS instead of an "OS". Because defining an OS like that would be wrong. Technically, Linux+PID1 itself is an OS, especially now that it no longer needs a bootloader to run. PID1 isn't GNU, it's freedesktop.

>Linux does nothing but provide software a way to interact with hardware
>An operating system (OS) is system software that manages computer hardware and software resources and provides common services for computer programs.
A shell is in itself just an application on top of the OS, obviously it's possible to target Linux without GNU, your own example shows that.
>an os will ship with a shell which is a user space application

>the kernel is the operating system proper, no matter how hard you try to redefine that.
I'll need you to go ahead an provide a little more basis to what you're trying to say. What kernel are you aware of that actually provides utility to a user without some other layer of application software?

to follow up to that, What kernel are you aware of that actually provides utility to a user without some other layer of application software, that actually fucking works?

Linux is the fucking kernel, an OS is the system of software encompasses the kernel and other system utilities. Suggesting linux is capable of operating independently of GNU or some other OS utilities doesn't really make sense if you actually think about the relationship between the different layers of the systems software and hardware, and how the kernel actually works at run time

I approve of the init/kernel notation.
systemd/Linux gives a much better understanding of what you're going to be interacting with since userland/kernel (GNU/Linux) could mean any init/service managment system, the userland by name isn't as important as just knowing it's POSIX compliant.
launchd/XNU
sysv/Linux
rc/BSD

the kernel does not live in userspace, it is vastly different from application software like a shell

>A shell is in itself just an application on top of the OS, obviously it's possible to target Linux without GNU, your own example shows that.
thats the point I was making, Linux is not an operating system, it's a kernel

>What kernel are you aware of that actually provides utility to a user without some other layer of application software?
Define "user", I consider myself a user of a kernel if I use it, I think you're assuming that a user is someone who interacts with the system at runtime only. I can easily use the Linux kernel in an embedded project without having any exposed/interactive userland components, all that's needed is a compiler for the system to build the kernel and my own modules. At the end of the day what operating system is the machine running? It it Linux, an end-user interacts with some hardware interface like buttons and the kernel handles that and passes it to my modules or program, no interaction with GNU is even necessary.

>fucking fucking fucking
Stop getting upset.

That's what I said, in that image the kernel is the OS layer, a shell would fall into the application layer and utilities the user layer.

That makes no sense, how can a kernel not be an operating system?

uh oh, linuxtard with no clue what he's talking about spotted

you understand that 10.11 is still called OS X, right? even apple calls it that you mongoloid

To be fair I've heard Apple employees say "oh ess ecks" often. There's no continuity when it comes to product names, even if they want consistency.

but the kernel is not the only thing comprising the components of the operating system layer here, there are a number of things other than a kernel you could lump into this category.

Device drivers are not application software, according to this image, they would then comprise part of the operating system, implying there is more than just the kernel working at the operating system level here

>implying that the kernel in 10.11 is different from the kernel in high sierra or whatever is the current version. I'd love to hear what you find so vastly different between what you have distinguished as osx 10.11 and macos

GNU+Hurd
Jokes on you, linux is just the kernel.

>Device drivers are not application software, according to this image, they would then comprise part of the operating system, implying there is more than just the kernel working at the operating system level here
I would agree that kernel modules are in fact part of the kernel, do you disagree with that?
If they are not considered part of the kernel I'm not sure where they would fall into. This is also dependent on the kernel architecture, in something like Linux I would agree with what I just said however in a microkernel it might be different.

I would just use the Android kernel instead.

bsd

If they aren't the same binary they are software running on the kernel.

The issue with kernel modules is that they can be both compiled in or loaded at runtime so at that point it's dependent on how you built it.

my understanding is that a monolithic kernel will run and maintain these processes (running modules) within the kernel space. Despite them operating within the same address space, they are separate processes managed by the kernel, not the process the kernel is running within. This is an argument of semantics at this point, Like you said depending on implementation and architecture you really could argue one way or another

The kernel is not the operating system, as you ought to know by now. :^)
I meant no harm, user. There's no need to get butthurt over your failure to understand the original post you replied to. It happens to everyone.

linux-lts

Continue to use Windows 7.
Fuck you mystical fag.

>Linux
Ded

this but unironically

Windows 10 and Bash on Ubuntu on Windows.

GNU/Hurd or FreeBSD

My nigga

openbsd, as i switched from linux

Linux is a kernel.

OpenBSD.

GNU/HURD

Linux is a complete OS.

Windows 10 w/Ubuntu Subversion, since it can do 90% of what Ubuntu can. I have come to really enjoy OneNote on pen-enabled laptops.

Where is that screenshot from?

youtube.com/watch?v=tc4ROCJYbm0

MS-DOS. It's like an advanced version of Linux.

Thanks user

Well, at that point, I'd have no reason *not* to use Windows, because I'm not about to trouble myself getting a *BSD to work the way I want it to (functionally).

This one is also good, it's composed from the same segments but different footage from those segments about different details.
youtube.com/watch?v=XvDZLjaCJuw

AmigaOS

thanks. i'll be sure to check it out

>That makes no sense, how can a kernel not be an operating system?

I have come to a conclusion on the semantics of "Operating system" that I think is agreeable.
Saying something like "The Unix kernel is an operating system" should be true as well as ""Unix is an operating system", however that should only be for brevity, it would be better to say "the Unix system" to mean each component, such as the kernel, the utilities, and the shell, much the same with GNU/Linux and Linux. I won't argue the semantics of "GNU/Linux system" "GNU system", "GNU+Linux system", et al. I'm not as pedantic there.

>can't use linux
Am I allowed to connect to a server which runs Linux with, say, a web browser? If not, any computer is suddenly a minefield. If so, it's probably safe to use VNC or SSH to a Linux box, so as long as I switch to a dumb phone and run Windows or BSD locally I'll be fine. If the rule is that I can't log in to a Linux box, I'm fucked as soon as I log in to my modem to reboot it or try to administer my WiFi access point.

Android

bsd /thread

Use a linux distribution as close to my main OS as possible.

>You are approached by a being with mystical powers. It says you can't use linux otherwise you will die.. What OS will you use

Probably I would use BSD