Router without ME/PSP?

Any hardware recommendations for home network that can run openbsd and does not have Intel ME/Amd PSP? Is there anything like this on the market?

Other urls found in this thread:

libreboot.org/faq.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Apu2c4 by pcengines

That also comes with coreboot.

It comes with coreboot out of the box? I guess that's a good option for my router then.

Yes, but you should check if it has PSP, it's an older AMD embedded SoC.

psp is a workstation and server feature its not for the plebs

PSP is NSA backdoor for everyone, plebs included
libreboot.org/faq.html
> The Platform Security Processor (PSP) is built in on all Family 16h + systems (basically anything post-2013), and controls the main x86 core startup. PSP firmware is cryptographically signed with a strong key similar to the Intel ME. If the PSP firmware is not present, or if the AMD signing key is not present, the x86 cores will not be released from reset, rendering the system inoperable.

PSP on EPYC is awesome, it provides SME and SEV.

SME would be real fucking nice for routers.

there is no indication that amd has the psp on their consumer chips at all

we know its on workstation and epyc because amd told us so

Ryzen PRO has Transparent SME.
they're not all that more expensive than their consumer versions.

I don't understand what do you mean by "consumer chips" and "workstation".
Ryzen does have PSP and it is a processor for consumers in my book.

Not to mention how AMD was pretty communicative with the community about PSP before/around Ryzen's launch, and since then have pretty much started backpedaling which makes me believe that they legally can't do anything or tell us why.

currently there is

consumer chips simple ryzen with NO psp on them
then its the ryzen pro the ones with the black and gold heatisink which they have psp on
and epyc which they have psp on

Hmm as I understand it does have PSP just some more features are enabled for PRO version.

All Ryzens have PSP enabled, Ryzen has 0 security features enabled.
Ryzen PRO has 2 features enabled, but one feature has partial enablement.
EPYC has everything enabled.
Dunno about TR

we wont really find out for sure anyways considering its not their IP anyways to open source

Yeah, but they could at least allow to turn it off. Anyway that's why I would like to have my router free of that stuff.

Any Core2 or Phenom 2 chip would do the trick.
They're "old" but it's still a ton of processing power for just routing, and they can be had for dirt fucking cheap.

Yeah that was weird. I remember AMA on AMDs reddit where this question was upvoted to the top and they seemed really in favor of working with the community on how to solve this issue. After a while they got really silent.

But is there a way to make low power, silent and small router with them?

Yeah, that shit was weird... AMD actually seemed receptive to the feedback at first. I'm sure a spaghetti list of 3 letter agencies reached out to them right afterwords.

Low power-ish sure. Some of the late desktop models that are on 45nm have a power pull of 65w, which if you run headless you probably could have a sub 100w system when maxed out. But you're not going to get better them that with that age of hardware and on x86.
This is one that you're going to have to accept the gives and takes unfortunetly.

Any FX processor should do the trick. FX-6300: cheap and plenty of power for other shit too.