/hsg/ - home server general

/hsg/ home server general
This is for hosting your own internet services. Building your own hardware. Maintaining it all and keep it secure and online.
> chat: discord.gg/9vZzCYz

What do you use for your home server? bsd or linux?

Other urls found in this thread:

daniel.haxx.se/blog/2012/08/20/fixed-name-to-dynamic-ip-with-cname/
ebay.com/itm/SuperMicro-846BA-R920B-CSE-846-4U-Barebone-Server-BPN-SAS-846A/172794040264?hash=item283b53cfc8:g:zUcAAOSwoH1Zd2-x
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I use unRAID, Proxmox, and ESXi. Virtuazlied a few windows VM's for arma and 7 days to die game servers. Some linux VM's and OSX. My unRAID box is a 60TB fileserver.

Rockstor on my old AMD-based PC I got as hand-me-down. I'm gonna buy an Odroid HC1 and put OpenMediaVault on it for my Malaysian zoetropes. Considered Arch, since muh AUR, but I want it to just werk

arch does just work, in my experience

WTF is "Malaysian zoetropes"

I bought a blade center from IBM secondhand online.
Pretty good for apache and cluster have it in my room. heavy fans though :/

60tb seems excessive

What do I need to set up a basic home server? I would like to use it as a basic backup storage for me and my family. I've tried adding an external HDD to a router via USB to act as a NAS, but I wasn't really successful. Any good tutorials on the net? Buying (anything) is not an option, since I'm broke and have an old computer lying around

poorfags can't buy secondhand servers?
How does it feel?

Here's muh file box. Acts as a centralized storage for all my of backups for laptops/desktops in my house. Also hosting 5 or so Windows shares over the network and a shared all in one network printer.
>haswell Pentium dual core
>2x2GB ddr3-1600mhz
>250GB Samsung 850 Evo for boot
>WD black 320GB laptop drive as dedicated encrypted container space
>2x1TB Seagate barracuda for pictures/music
>2x2TB HGST and Seagate for anime/cartoons and television series
>2x4TB Toshiba X300 series for my movies

I'm probably going to buy 2x10TB Seagate Ironwolf drives as an Xmas gift to me. My Blu-ray and anime collection grows by the day.

I want to access all my files on the lan, torrenting with couchpotato/sonarr/zoneminder for cctv cameras/plex with my old desktop pc I'm re-purposing my old desktop pc (pic related). Currently have 2x4TB HDDs on the way.
the thing is I have no idea what software (OS) to use. I'm very new to this.

Actually, it doesn't feel any different considering I've got better things to do and "building" my server would be a fun way to unwind for a few hours and learn about networking.

>Have a drive and old PC laying around

And you're done! Put the drive in the PC or if stuck as an external, just hook it up to the PC. (Keeping in mind that if your PC is limited to USB 2.0, your network transfer speed to and from the drive will be limited to 41MB/s)

I'm running Windows 7 on my file server. Sharing a drive is a simple as right clicking, going to the share tab of the drives properties window, and setting permissions per user. Or if you don't want to share the entire drive but only certain folders on the drive, just do those via the same method. Fool proof really.

I even run my server headless and communicate with it via Windows remote desktop tool. Real nifty.

build a home linux router with your home made server and it should feel nice.

Though the feel of blinkenlights and rack servers is true orgasm

That seems easy enough. I'm wondering, what about power consumption? Do Windows have larger number of services running and as a result, draw more energy? And is it a good idea to install Debian (from an energy perspective)?

windows tend to eat some power with their stupid services in bg.

Best bet I to remove lots of unnecessary packages. keep it simple.

Debian isn't about energi more of lot's off supported devices and arcs.

Energy usage difference from OS to OS will be minimal. It's more about what your hardware is, and if you have windows power saving features enabled. I.e. I have it set so my CPU will down clock when idle, and my hard drives turn off after 10 minutes of no usage. Overall my Pentium based system uses around 15w when idle and at most 55w with the processor working and several drives active at the same time.

If your PC has an old C2D or Pentium 4, your power usage is going to be higher no matter what. Also, you can use a tool like WSUS offline windows updater for updates. Windows update is finnicky sometimes

Ubuntu server is a great choice. Easy to get some basic services up with some googling.

I made one and it's running a torrent client and sharing its massive harddrives. The actual setup is that I have two main samba shares; a share for receiving torrent files and a share for the downloaded files. IE I put torrent files into the torrent file share and then deluged downloads it and puts it in the other share. It's nice.

Any recommendations for a sub $100 ddWRT compatible router?

Long story short I need to turn my ISP supplied one into modem-only mode and then actually route my home network with a real router

I have a website live on the internet, but there ís some functionality that needs to connect to a web server in local host which in turn connects to a database.

How can i make a HTTP request to localhost:8080/myserver

?

if that isn't possible, what do?

If it only listens internally, just run an SSH server, then SSH into the server and make local requests.

reverse proxy

i'm using javascript for my website and Java for the webserver.

consider not

>have it in my room

I need some help. I basically know nothing about running a server, but I had an idea for something neat to build for myself.
Basically, its a media server on which I keep all my music in a lossless format. I'd then be able to connect to it from anywhere with my phone or laptop and select some songs/albums/artist collections, have the server convert them to something sane using ffmpeg and then send those files instead of the selected ones. I think I have to use ftp or something, but I don't know if the interupt is possible there. Also don't know what hardware to get at all.
So yeah. Is this feasible/possible and what hardware should I get for it?

What's the risk of using an old router as a wireless access point? Old as in it's vulnerable to KRACK (no firmware updates, no aftermarket firmware etc). My main router is vulnerable, but not when it's running in router mode (according to the security bulletin from Linksys, it's only vulnerable when running as an AP). I have a older router hardwired into that main one which provides wifi access in another part of the house. All of the devices that connect to this router have had their OS updated to patch KRACK. But is there still risk of traffic being intercepted through this AP? Should I shell out $$$ to buy another AP that is patched?

Just use plex

Don't want to stream. Thats sorta the whole point

Not if he has a redundant RAID setup.

>Basically, its a media server on which I keep all my music in a lossless format. I'd then be able to connect to it from anywhere with my phone or laptop and select some songs/albums/artist collections, have the server convert them to something sane

>Don't want to stream. Thats sorta the whole point

You don't know what Plex is, do you?

Are you talking about Sync?
Pretty sure they make you pay for that. I don't want to pay for shit I can get for free.

One of us is being retarded, genuinely don't know which one.

So you want to connect to your server, be it remotely or locally, select tracks, server converts them to a lossy format and sends them to you?

If so, why not just use plex to stream the transcoded lossy audio rather than send you the converted files?? Or yea, if connectivity is an issue, just pay for plex plus. It's like £5 a month. Price of a beer.

OR, don't download meme FLAC audio to begin with?

You're a fucking idiot. Plex is a media server you dumb nigger. You use it to play shit off your own network. You can use it to stream stuff from your network when you are away from home, but that is optional.

You don't even need to pay extra for the functionality if you know how to setup a vpn tunnel to your box.

Plex isn't available for my phone.
Connectivity is an issue.
>OR, don't download meme FLAC audio to begin with?
But muh quality! Listening to lossy audio with my home setup is literally rape!

I want to send stuff from my own network when I am away from home without streaming.
Whatever. My question of hardware still stands. What would I need to run something like this

I just pay out of simplicity and habit now to be honest. Well actually I pay to have additional accounts. Limiting my library share between accounts based on TV/Movie ratings is a godsend when you have a kid.

a potato. SSH/FTP has literally been around forever and even cheap $30 ip cameras have this functionality. figure it out for yourself dipshit.

'kay thanks.

Basic baby shit PC with hard drive and internet connection + either SSH access or a VPN if you wanna be fancy.

Raspberry PI + SSH + External HD + TeamViewer/VNC = (you) sorted

A friend approached me offering 20 free disk drives, 500GB each. Is it cost effective? If so, should I make a ZFS pool with them?

wut

Is it common for ISPs to deny reverse DNS records for my mail server just because Im not on a business plan? Is there a way around it? Im not a business and its just a way to learn networking and I wanted my own mail server.

When I bought my car they didnt require me to be a registered taxi driver.

I would suck dick for 20 free hdds.

nexx wt3020F, 15$

Cool. Thanks.

I ask because don't have any current PC big enough to hold 20 desktop-sized drives. An 8-slot NAS is like 300bux. I could buy 8TB and stick it in an existing PC for that kind of money.

daniel.haxx.se/blog/2012/08/20/fixed-name-to-dynamic-ip-with-cname/

Using a CNAME helps with the same origin policy.

>500GB
Not worth it. Sata ports cost money too.

How does one make a quiet homeserver?
I plan to use my old i3 540 and slap it on the rack in my room, but is there any way to make it tolerably quiet while being under no load?

>1st gen core processor

nope. forget about it. for how much you would need to spend on aftermarket cooling you may as well invest in something more modern.

My workstation sits right next to my bed. Fractal case, Noctua fans. The sound of the wind blowing outside my window is louder (except when rendering).

>Blade servers
>Apache

Is this bait? I demand a time stamp.

You guys running fiber yet? Going to replace all the old Cat5 in my house soon.

Any reason at all to run OM4 over OM3 if everything is under 100ft? Both will support 100G at the distances I'm running. Just feels wrong to run something so old when there's already OM5.

Linux, Fuck bsd, is shit.

Yes. ISPs don't really want you to host mail servers at home because you could end up getting their IP addresses blacklisted everywhere, making their ranges pretty useless in the long run.

RAID is overrated and misused tho.

Guys how the fuck do I get a cert for a server I can't hit from the internet? I want HTTPS on it but a self-signed cert causes everything to shit its pants. Halp pls

My setup: (All device connected to UPS
Server: FX 8300/8 GB Ram/ Window Home Server 2011
HDD: 1TB (OS/client backups/few videos)
9TB R-5 (1997-2017 Data)
2TB R-1 (2018+ data)
Backup:
1. NAS540 12TB (4TBx4 R-5) - Full Server Data
2. NSA 320S 4TB (R-0) - 2nd copy Movies/Music Archive backup
3. 3TB External drive - Server Sys Image/Client Backups/Archive 2nd copy of E-books & X Rated content

Use let's encrypt

LE doesn't work if it can't hit your server on port 80/443 from the internet, that's what I'm trying to get around

>a self-signed cert causes everything to shit its pants
What shits its pants?

oh. guess my reading ability isn't great
if you use a self signed cert you can technically add it to the trusted certs on your clients or whatever, or setup a certificate authority and add that as a trusted authority and sign the webserver cert with that

why can't it be open to the internet? you can't open it just to get a LE cert and then close it again?

If you're using it for HTTPS, most modern web browsers let you make an exception for that server's cert. You can't just add an exception?

You can also try setting up a local CA on that network and install it as a trusted CA on all your machines.

ffmpeg, mpv, vlc, pretty much any media streaming client.

It's behind NAT I don't control, all incoming traffic blocked. The best I can do is port forward out but I can only listen on unprivileged ports (>1024)

It's for streaming video/music, the exception works fine in web browsers and curl is ok if you add --insecure but any applications linked against openssl will screech if they don't have an option to disable cert checking.

>free
>cost effective

I mean, if you have 20 SATA or SAS slots to spare, absolutely. If they're SAS, you should pick up a rackmount SAN and plug those suckers in. If they're SATA, plug a bunch in to your desktop and use them as backups. Keep the spares for when they eventually die from use.

That sounds troublesome. I'm no expert by any means, but I think that self-signing and setting up a CA is the only way to handle openssl screaming. It shouldn't be too difficult, and there are good guides for it. I dunno how Windows clients feel about self-signed certs though.

I have it with a self-signed cert right now, but even setting up an intermediate CA would give the same results since it wouldn't be a trusted CA on the client machine.

So why not add it to the list of trusted CAs on the client machine? If you're dealing with a known number of machines, it should be a breeze to take the CA cert and install it as a trusted CA.

if they're that small and you're getting them for free then they're going to be old as shit and probably die soon

yes, use a SMTP relay service like mailjet or sendgrid

>im too retarded to know what a SAS expander is
>i think HBAs are expensive

>You guys running fiber yet?
pic related

>OM4 over OM3
no.

>run something old
if you want to future proof it you should be using single mode fiber instead of multimode. the optics are a little bit more expensive but it beats having to replace your fiber plant every 10 years

you need to trust the self signed cert or its CA. setting up PKI isnt that hard.

they just need to trust the CA, it isnt difficult. You can use a GPO to automate it.

>home server
>op pic is a shit tier Soho router owned by a pudgy soyboy

welcome to /hsg/ where poorfags larp that their shitboxes are servers. things like pic related are frowned upon here because they take effort to configure. too bad firepower doesnt support CDP or it would show up too

>things like pic related are frowned upon
I think your username, the server name and the fact you are racemixing would be more frowned upon here. lurk more

>home server general
>ISP says I'm not allowed to run servers
Is there any way for them to actually figure out I'm running a server?

in Canada, my ISP used to filter all traffic for common ports (23,80, etc). now that they offer rDNS they encourage not running servers, but they effectively inhibit it by limiting even gigabit connections to 10-20mbps upload

>racemixing
wut

DPI can do it easily

?

How's the power bill after bringing that online?

I have a Orangepi lite set up as a sftp server over 2.4GHz
Roast me

Nothing to roast, arm boards make effective little file servers.

I have a raspi with a 500gb laptop hdd setup as temporary storage when re-imaging machines.

So? Its plugged in to the 2nd 10GbE port.

Lets encrypt with dns validation.

It's a lot of drives.
There's not really any neat solution, they're all gonna be hacks unless you spend a lot of money.
You could get a lot of cheap external adapters and then a usb hub (or rather PCI card or whatever) and that'd be the cheapest way you could do it, but it'd be kinda suck.
Alternatives are lots of PCIe-SATA cards and hard drive bays from other cases that you just glue to the side of some case.

$300 for the chassis
ebay.com/itm/SuperMicro-846BA-R920B-CSE-846-4U-Barebone-Server-BPN-SAS-846A/172794040264?hash=item283b53cfc8:g:zUcAAOSwoH1Zd2-x

>4U

>no psu
>no trays
After that you have 10TB of old shitty drives for the price of two new 6TB drives with warranty.

>i dont understand what IOPS are
PSUs are cheap

Hey /hsg/, I'm planning on buying the Odroid HC1 for muh malaysian zoetropes, is pic related (HGST Travelstar 7K1000) good for general NAS usage? Are there any better alternatives? Or should I go for a normal drive?

Forgot to mention, switching from an old AMD hand-me-down PC because of power efficiency and noise (and Plex corrupted my TV shows)

So what's the ideal chassis for a 6 disk ZFS raid box. Been looking at those old supermicro servers with 8 hotswap bays. If the hardware is good and compatible should I go with one of those or just build from a empty chassis. I prefer hotswap bays to just normal cases.

Find a used HP Z600

Don't Z600's only have two hot swap bays plus you can put two drive caddies in the odd bays
That's only 4 drives.
Z800 could do it but it makes the drives in the odd bays less convenient to take out

this, if you have the equipment already go for it otherwise you're better of getting higher capacity drives.

sas expanders aren't exactly cheap as chips, same for hbas.

but the real problem is getting a case with 20 3.5" slots. You're looking at a few hundred for that alone. or you can get heaps more storage from 2 $250 hdds

Just have a cheap mini computer or laptop serving a Mediasonic Probox 8bay, over Esata or USB3.0

R8 my budget router build:
Board: ASRock J3355B-ITX
RAM: 2GB DDR3 1333MHz
NIC: i340-t2 (or a t4 if I can find one for cheap)
Storage: Probably some chink 32 or 64GB 2.5" SSD
PSU: 80W picopsu w/ 60W adapter
Case: iStarUSA S-21 (pic)

Should come out to about $200 on the dot. I was originally going to go with a PC Engine APU2, but I've read in a few places that they max out at about 600-800mb/s throughput and VPN performance is rather poor (about 60mb/s). On the contrary, the J3355 should be quite handily capable of gigabit throughput (unless you're doing packet inspection or something), and VPN throughput is about 300mb/s or so from what I've read. So, at the expense of *slightly* more power consumption, size, and >intel, it seems like a stouter, more expandable/versatile option. Also, shopping for small, Mini-ITX cases with a PCIe expansion port is an absolute fucking nightmare.

My student room is small :(

Why should I share proof. Believe it or not I don't care just sharing my love for blade centers.

Well If you use full power it's 265 A for each PSU and 3 kW. I run only one blade.

Power is included in my student room contract as free of charge. I'm thinking of lending it over to a computer club at my uni.

bump