Opinions on unity as a piece of technology?

Opinions on unity as a piece of technology?

shit engine
see cities skylines

Pretty based

All fine except C sharp.

has potential to be really good but they're too fixated on fancy features instead of fixing bugs and making it faster

It's sexy on smaller netbooks and would have been fantastic in the phone/tablet market. It's a shame it got entirely misplaced and then became the go to scapegoat of dissatisfaction with Ubuntu.

The workflow is pretty fast and easy. I have no problem with C# and the latest Linux builds are pretty damn stable. Their licensing is fair and they seem focused on their product rather than social issues or other extraneous things. The only issues I see are but they aren't causing regressions with new features so it isn't a huge deal.

Löve2D is also nice in a different way.

$35 a month is pretty steep to just remove a splash screen and get a theme that doesn't hurt your eyes. It could be worse I guess.

Its good if you are a one man army.
Even a small team of amateurs

The difference between unity and other engines is that you'll actually finish a game with unity

It isn't horrible but I thought they had gone away from that. Either way dark theme and removing splash screen removal should be doable. Iirc (back in early version 4) I was able to get a dark theme by changing one setting to "paid" or something. It was a bit fucked up but still.

Big studios using Unity tends to be a big red flag. See for instance Obsidian: great story writers, shit game developers. They haven't developed a single non terminally bugged game since KOTOR2.
The lack of development tools on Linux made me drop using it as a developer too since I'm just a hobbyist and more interested in engine development, but if you are a small studio I can see why you'd pick it.

Unity is what we all need as a mankind. Even though that is unreal.

As an engine it's probably alright.
But every single game I've ever played that was made with it was half baked garbage, in fact you can instantly tell a game was made with unity just from how it looks.

>all unity games are bad and look like shit XD
hollow knight, endless space 1 and 2, yooka laylee

Yeah Unity is a perfectly capable engine, it's just really easy to use it in a fucked up way and think everything is ok (hurr gonna set off the GC every frame nothing can go wrong). Only developers that really know what they're doing would dig deep and handle the issues it presents.crap

>WordPress the game engine
I'm a little sad Godot is modelled after the same approach.

Besto DE

You can get rid of white shit by editing .exe code.

>shit engine

do you have a better one, for comparison?

>Even though that is unreal.

i saw what you did there.

uniggy looks ugly

Unity makes its money off people that have no idea what they are doing. As a result lots of wannabe game makers use it and produce hot garbage frequently.

It seems like this engine was created for the sole purpose of creating a marketplace to sell art and code to morons who are too lazy to do that stuff on their own.

The racket they setup is quite genius actually. I'm really impressed.

>Their licensing is fair
They killed off perpetual licenses, killed their half price upgrade option, moved to a subcription based software-as-a-service model and doubled the cost for the equivalent product while still providing less out of the box than their competition gives you for free. Fuck them.

Unreal engine 4 is just better so there is little point in using unity

Fucking hell, really? And I was just warming up to give it a try. Will the software as service cancer ever end?

>screenshot
tasty nostalgia, can even year the pickup sound of those tasty little bastards

absolute shit to work with. lacks so much functionality, you have to write your own shit or buy scripts that will do it for you.

>IDE that gets remote-execution security flaws

>being nu

>It's sexy on smaller netbooks
Shut the fuck up, it can't run on netbooks at all. Fucking idiot.

>They haven't developed a single non terminally bugged game since KOTOR2.
They have never worked with an engine on their own at all, really. Maybe Alpha Protocol.

And cuphead. Unity has a bad rep because it's accessible to everyone, so there are metric fuckloads of terrible, half-baked shit out there.

/thread

Literally not what's written, retard.

Mine.

They don't implement/fix basic features if there are assets that do it for them. I'm talking really basic, too, like a decent input system and pixel perfect 2D rendering.

Godot is better for 2D.
Godot also has a better license and a flawless Linux build.
Godot 3.0 will support writing in C++ without recompiling the engine, therefore better than Unity's C# cancer.
Godot will win in the end, all it needs is documentation.

Unreal and cryengine are already available and have a proven history with AAA games. Why would anyone jump to a nonamer?

I agree. Should be Rust.

Unreal and cryengine require you to give up your Jew golds if you intend to sell and are clunky for 2d. That's like using lisp for your server script.

I like Game Maker's workflow much better desu. Though its absolutely_proprietary.jpg just like Unity.

ENIGMA is a FOSS clone of Game Maker with tons of potential, I hope it gets more contributors.

Shit license and both are shit with 2D development, furthermore Unreal is terribly optimized and bloated and Cryengine is poorly documented. Unreal has no Linux development kit, not sure if Cryengine does but I doubt it.

Basically at this point Godot is already ideal for 2D development and the new capabilities with C++ and the new 3D renderer will make it competitive in 3D come 3.0. All it needs is documentation and a larger community (it is growing over time) and it will be totally better than any other engine on the market.

3d = unity
2d = game maker studio 2

Don't fall for Godot memes. It's not quite ready for full scale games yet, but for simple stuff, or if you are willing to develop all your own systems for what's missing, that's going to be the way to go IN THE FUTURE. Just be aware that Godot is very new by comparison and is still catching up in a lot of ways. Also, There isn't nearly as much documentation explicitly for Godot, but if you are familiar with other engines, then it is more manageable to pick up.

also, be aware that Godot uses a python like language GDScript, which is cancerous, but They claim they've optimized it and it runs as cpp under the hood. There was talk about programming in other languages using DLLs, but I don't know if that got implemented, nor how to do it if it was. Would love to see it get proper cpp support desu

Oh boy this is my time to shine. I've been hating on this pile of shit since I was forced to ship a commercial game on it.

- They are locked into an ancient Mono version that is dog-slow and doesn't support a lot of .NET features
- Because their Mono problem they ship a transpiler that converts C# code to C++ and compiles it on consoles. The resulting C++ is fucking loco. It routinely causes the C++ to exhaust stack or produce incorrect binary code.
- Everything is single threaded and their continuation-based async mode is impossible to parallelize
- Their shader model is retarded. They basically force fixed-function pipeline onto all targets including D3D11. This makes writing fast graphics code literally impossible
- Their code is insane. Our company bought source code access because without it we wouldn't be able to fix their fuckups and ship the game. Jesus fucking Christ. It takes hours to build this thing and the code quality is absolutely shit and that comes from someone who works in GAME INDUSTRY.

Generally the whole thing is a wealth transfer program from kids that want to make games to Unity owners. 0/10, don't recommend

It reminds me of flash but 3D

You really only need to pay that 35 buckaroonies the day you compile it.

> - They are locked into an ancient Mono version that is dog-slow and doesn't support a lot of .NET features

You can specify a newer version but it's experimental, it works pretty decently right now.

> - Everything is single threaded and their continuation-based async mode is impossible to parallelize

Isn't true in the later versions

> - Their code is insane. Our company bought source code access because without it we wouldn't be able to fix their fuckups and ship the game. Jesus fucking Christ. It takes hours to build this thing and the code quality is absolutely shit and that comes from someone who works in GAME INDUSTRY.

Honestly wouldn't be surprised this is true, looking at the older onGui thing.

>Generally the whole thing is a wealth transfer program from kids that want to make games to Unity owners.
i used to read agdg threads but left when i realized they're all just filled with unity shills

>Using engines

>not using unity, godot or unreal to make games.

Nah

No, you are locked in for 12 months, so $420

Actual garbage. Super weird asset and object management. Bloated as fuck.

wtf are you even talking about

Godot has a long way before it's production ready, Unreal makes you Tencent's bitch for the rest of your life and Unity is, well, Unity. It's a lesser-of-evils situation.

>You can specify a newer version but it's experimental, it works pretty decently right now.

We've never had the chance to try the experimental Mono, besides our game was primarily consoles so it wouldn't help much anyway - Mono is disabled entirely on consoles because there is W^X guard that prevents JIT from working.

>Isn't true in the later versions.
That's good to hear.

>Honestly wouldn't be surprised this is true, looking at the older onGui thing.
There is code that should remain closed source forever user. This is that code.

Also nice quints.

Meme engine.

>2d platformer with quasi n64 graphics but fancy lightning
>hardware requirements of a 2 year old AAA title.
why

I'm not sure what you mean by developing your own systems, GM2 is far more barebones than Godot which has pretty much everything you need to make a game, also you can already script with C#, C++ plus whatever you want.

>game engine
>makes up its own language
Not gonna deal with that shit.

fun game, no point.

C# > every other language though. It excels at both game logic and editor logic (Which is the main point behind Unity, ease of extending the editor to build the perfect workflow for your specific game)

>- They are locked into an ancient Mono version that is dog-slow and doesn't support a lot of .NET features
Not really, .NET 4.5 is ""experimental"" and they have removed a lot of garbage with linq \ foreach.

>- Because their Mono problem they ship a transpiler that converts C# code to C++ and compiles it on consoles. The resulting C++ is fucking loco. It routinely causes the C++ to exhaust stack or produce incorrect binary code.
il2cpp is not to solve old\slow mono versions it's required to ship to some platforms and a way to potentially get some optimisations it's actually not bad and is way further ahead than the MonoGame version.

>- Everything is single threaded and their continuation-based async mode is impossible to parallelize
You can multi-thread anything that doesn't touch GameObjects, write your multi-threaded code separated and you'll be fine.

>- Their shader model is retarded. They basically force fixed-function pipeline onto all targets including D3D11. This makes writing fast graphics code literally impossible
I don't think you know what you are talking about.

>- Their code is insane. Our company bought source code access because without it we wouldn't be able to fix their fuckups and ship the game. Jesus fucking Christ. It takes hours to build this thing and the code quality is absolutely shit and that comes from someone who works in GAME INDUSTRY.
I agree with this statement