There are only 300,000 AI engineers worldwide, but millions are needed

>It’s well-established that talent is in short supply in the AI industry, but a new report from Chinese tech giant Tencent underscores how great the need might be. According to the study, compiled by the Tencent Research Institute, there are just 300,000 “AI researchers and practitioners” worldwide, but the “market demand” is for millions of roles.

what should my steps be if i am to go into AI programming?
what to read from comp sci theory and on which language to focus?

AI work/research is neither CS theory nor a specific language. It's incredibly heavy on math and abstract math. The reason why there's such a short supply of people is because this stuff is incredibly dense.

why the fuck are they calling them engineers if they are brainlet math majors?

Seconding this. I'm fair at programming and pretty decent at modeling (masters in computational geophysics was all modeling, unfortunately it was all fortran (pseudo 77) and matlab).
I want to get into AI shit.

>brainlet math majors

deeplearn.js should solve that problem

YES GOY WE NEED A BIGGER WORKFORCE TO DRIVE WAGES DOWN. JOIN UP NOW.

>brainlet mathematician provides meme images as his arguments for his mamo-jumbo theories that nobody would ever need
shocking

Yeah, SMEs for infosec, HPC, AI, embedded development, etc. are always in demand. But doing a few courses on Udacity or going through a couple of grad classes won't make you an SME. I've never understood the point of these articles. Nobody can suddenly obtain 10+ years of experience and fill these roles. It just drives people to waste time/money on MOOC/bootcamp bullshit or a Master's degree.

>AI engineers
I took an AI class last year and it was a statistics and algorithms class.

I think business idiots think AI is magic that can solve any problem. It's just applying statistics to solve certain types of problems in an efficient way.

If you had a bigger workforce you might well get efficiencies that would push down on production costs so that the cost of living would decrease.
That would mean you could live better on your present income.
If you measure your income in BitCoins the number is smaller. Big numbers don't necessarily mean a better life.

you literally just import the AI library, for 99.90% of use cases you dont need to understand how it works.

>implying jew multinational corps will lower prices just cause of lower production costs when they're all a big price fixing cartel with literally no opposition and t¡with governments in their pockets
goy

>just import the AI library

It must be nice to be so ignorant that you can take the immense work of others for granted despite being flat out told that there aren't even close to enough people to continue the work.

I'm assuming you still live with your mother and figure your meals cook themselves, too.

MA THE MEATLOAF ! FUCK !

>tfw brainlet
>tfw all I want to do is play with AI systems and watch the data and know what it means
;_;

Hire me and train me then.

Oh boy, can't wait to compete with all the math and physics PhD grads getting churned out.

Didn't we have that story about the AI training AI today?

So, No, we don't need that many AI researchers.

kek

applied statistics that work though. Imagine getting this stuff into real competitive sports (it's only slowly eking its way in), suddenly anybody not doing so is left in the dust

But 100% of them will be men. Now what?

Are there really 300k AI engineers, or are they just "business application" brainlets? It seems like the rate of progress in the field is disproportionately low for the number of people in it.

like what they actually do? install python, scikit-learn and run random forest classifiers? i mean there is no way 300,000 people actually know what is CNN and how it works, not to mention creating something novel.

You need one? Pay me a good AI education.

CNNs are not that hard, tho.

Automation is going to delete jobs, it's already happening to tons of blue collar work. What do I study and focus on to automate catlady and diversity hire positions?

>guys lets put 50% of people out of jobs so we don't have to pay their salaries
>heh what do you mean it will cause great instability and chaos?
>don't worry goyim, just look at star trek, space communism will work :^) (heh it totally won't, but I don't care because I'm the employer making billions by not employing anyone and will move to my private island in the pacific when the revolts start :^))

there is literally no shortage of software engineers, they just want to drive wages down. there is literally no need for automation, they just don't want to pay anyone's salary

This. AI research is PhD level mathematics with implementation done by software engineers after the fact. There's a massive shortfall of talent because you need to have 140+ IQ and a profound love of very particular theaters of mathematics research to be the least bit useful. I'm a software developer who works with these people and they are quite literally all autistic savants. I doubt very seriously there will ever be millions of people qualified to do that work, even if you threw trillions at making the education free, the raw talent simply doesn't exist in large numbers. Even top 0.1% mathematics majors at great programs are only potentially qualified, about 0.001% or less are actually going to be solid enough to contribute to the field.

>theories that nobody would ever need
I sure am glad machine learning, cryptography, complexity of algorithms, boolean logic, data structures, theory of computation, graph theory, and formal modeling aren't topics in mathematics or computer science might be recognized as a mathematical discipline

Wait, does decision tree learning count? Because that shit is easy.

get a business degree and pick up python like all the brainlets

This is a merchant, isn't it?

No.

And generative grammar, cellular automata...

wAIfu.js

Actual computer scientists (not the bullshit memery is "software development") go just to the left of mathematicians here.

I think more appropriately they're holding hands.

AI as it is is snake oil, probabilistic frameworks that determine what may be true up to a certain degree of plausibility simply can’t be relied upon.

Set the task for that 300,000 AI engineers to make one AI that can create better AI's. Job done.

They can be relied upon, up to a certain degree. The whole AI name is meme-tier, but the purpose of the applied mathematical field here is legitimately making said predictive processes better. The applications are effectively limitless, despite the fact that only the worst ideas will get any press.

math is for nerds

> says the guy using a million other modern inventions without knowing how they work

>PhD level mathematics

I'm afraid to tell you this, but PhD level is kinda shit. Most PhD students are retards.

>t. PhD in mathematics