KDE Blur

does Sup Forums like the blur effect in their DE?
I made some changes to kwin to increase the blur effect
opinions?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/KDE/kwin/blob/master/effects/blur/blur.cpp
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

in comparison here is the maximum blur you can get in current KDE

neat, I didn't actually know you could do that

what's the performance like?

I used to really like fucking around with eyecandy WM's like KDE but it takes a lot of time and makes using the computer slower. Now I just use default DE settings.

in the video you can see a second slider below the original slider that I added
that slider goes from 1 to 20
that impacts how many times the blur happens to the texture, that means that the performance impact scales linearly and could be up to 20 times
in reality I don't notice any performance issues in my VM
I even checked the task manager in windows to see GPU usage and it doesn't really increase at all when I increase my blur strength
there are still some bugs I have to fix before I even consider to propose this to the KDE guys to merge into Kwin

>KDE guys to merge into Kwin
yep, just hit them up on github or whatever else they use
iirc the kde team is super cool about feedback, unlike the fucking foot fetishists with their shitty file picker

would love to see this feature added to Kwin, looks super comfy

I'm glad you like it

btw Konsole (the terminal) doesn't have blur enabled by default because the KDE team does not want to add it for some reason
someone even made a patch for that but was not merged (reminds me of gnome devs)
you need to add this to your .bashrc for that

if [[ $(ps --no-header -p $PPID -o comm) =~ yakuake|konsole ]]; then
for wid in $(xdotool search --pid $PPID); do
xprop -f _KDE_NET_WM_BLUR_BEHIND_REGION 32c -set _KDE_NET_WM_BLUR_BEHIND_REGION 0 -id $wid; done
fi

cheers, thanks!

Wow looks super comfy. KDE looking ugly af by default is what's driving me towards the foot clan.

>btw Konsole (the terminal) doesn't have blur enabled by default because the KDE team does not want to add it for some reason
Ever since KDE 4 they've been massive fags about stuff. Like the stupid peanut, would not accept patch to make it optional IT HAD TO BE THERE. Same with that shitty theme, refused any patches to make it more customizable.
That's about when I dumped that bullshit.

thanks, time to install and test KDE again... last time I've tested it, I tried to compile Konsole with patches from the AUR to get the blur effect, but the build failed and I couldn't figure out why.

what did you do to increase the blur strength? thanks

>what did you do to increase the blur strength? thanks
it's not a "simple" change like changing a variable

in this file
github.com/KDE/kwin/blob/master/effects/blur/blur.cpp

I updated the doBlur function with my super-secret algorithm and then recompiled Kwin

I'll make it public once I resolve all the bugs

Can please you post an (anonymous) gist or pastebin? Or maybe even create an (anonymous) AUR BUILDPKG? I'd be super happy

currently it only works if I disable the "Save intermediate rendering results"
that means it has to render the whole blurred area 60 times/second
it's horribly inefficient this way
once I fix it I'll make it public

While you're at it, share your wallpaper and try to make developers aware of your project.

I got this image by literally searching "wallpaper" in google images

bump?

cmon, create a gist on github, so I can bookmark it and then see when you're done

I like this, but what about the bottom bar? Seems like a good idea to have everything on your new blur effect

on second thought maybe the bottom bar just doesn't have as much grey as your terminal window
still kinda jarring

You are gay

This is what I love about open source