/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Old Thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Recommended IBM models:
X60, X61, T60, T61, 860, Transnote, PC110

Recommended freedom models:
xx00 series, IBM xx0 series
Check libreboot.org for details.

Recommended modern models:
X220 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
T420 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, Ivy Bridge installable w/ Coreboot
W520 - 15", 1080p, Desktop Replacement, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
T440p, T540p, W540 - last ThinkPads to have replaceable CPUs, IPS displays available, chiclet
P series - reminiscent to old build quality, top-of-the-line specs, better than most current mobile workstations, but very expensive

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Used laptop guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com

ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/

EPP discount for new ThinkPads:
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW (embed)

BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

unixstickers.com/stickers
thinkshit.neocities.org/
ebay.com/itm/New-AUO-B140HAN01-3-72-Gamut-16-2M-Colors-Wide-View-LCD-Screen-LED-for-Laptop/282664030053?hash=item41d016cf65:g:4MgAAOSwVRNZgQpJ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Where is this "buyer's guide"

I remember there used to be one with a flowchart.

I want to fug that boy
full homo

you mean ktgee? it's kill.

First for "if your Thinkpad isn't Librebooted, it's not your Thinkpad"

Which is the best guide to make my decision now? I'm just about ready to jump in on one of the ones with a pen.

i want to fug my pad
full soft rim

Absolutely.
Planning on getting one at some point.

xsauc's but it is more generalised.
>I'm just about ready to jump in on one of the ones with a pen.
x220t/230t, depending on your budget

I only follow 2 youtube channels that talk about thinkpads and both of them like to do videos while crossdressing.

What a world.

xsauc and ???

can we merge sticker threads and tpg together? :3 i want to get stickers on my memepad, but don't know where to start

I had a dream about fixing a girl’s T400, so I bought a T400. This might be my first romantically motivated purchase. I’m gonna install Funtoo on it.

unixstickers.com/stickers is pretty gud

Shame about redbubble insisting on adding a huge white border to all of their stickers...

but i use a decal, not stickers

also that anime girl is a qt

Unix stickers takes for fucking ever to ship though. I ordered a Debian badge on there. The quality was good at least, but it wasn’t exactly cheap either.

img now with 100% more accurate logo placement!

must be tripcode!Q/7

t-thanks

Just bought a X200, fellow Sup Forumsentleman. It's going to take a week to get over here.

Obligatory, what am I in for? What's the first thing I should do with it?

Send it back and get a computer with a CPU from this decade

Where do you get good decals done?

But are there girls using it?
Tranny doesn't count

From a friend but there are plenty of results if you google "custom decals", maybe there's something.

Does the user who made thinkshit.neocities.org/ post here?

Recommend SSD for w530

anything from Western Digital is quality desu

the cheapest one you can find

why do you post ugly men instead of cute girls?

no buli.

Fuck my life Sup Forums. I have my T420 made into a Hackintosh, I wanted to use both the VGA and DP for a dual monitor set up but I find that I can't do it. The iGPU only can handle two monitors but I can't figure out a way to disable the onboard laptop monitor.

this

even chink ones, but at your own risk

wtf happened to ktgee

I remember that the screen turned off when the laptop was docked with the lid closed. At least it was like that in macOS Sierra.

ebay.com/itm/New-AUO-B140HAN01-3-72-Gamut-16-2M-Colors-Wide-View-LCD-Screen-LED-for-Laptop/282664030053?hash=item41d016cf65:g:4MgAAOSwVRNZgQpJ

This ok?

just back up yo shit nigga

is this for a t420?

I didn't want to buy a dock but it appears I may be forced to. At the very least I'll be able to use the extra Display Ports.

t440p

My T420 typically runs around 35-40 C doing web browsing, listening to music, and seeding torrents. Fans are nice and clean, fresh thermal paste.

However, when I just tried encoding in Handbrake, the CPU temperature immediately shot up to 70 C, and rose steadily to 90 C in two minutes. I got nervous and stopped the program at that point.

Would it be safe to continue at such a high temperature? It would be running like that for at least two hours, potentially even hotter.

I had my previous T420 die due to the CPU/GPU very nearly catching on fire and spewing burning toxic fumes while playing goddamn online Pictionary, so I'm pretty paranoid when it comes to temperatures.

then yes, it's plug & play (iirc), no adapters and similar bullshit needed

Are your fans working at all?

It's only one DP though, the other is DVI and i don't even remember if all the dock ports work on macOS, only that the usbs, DP and both 3.5mm jacks worked fine.

Also second hand t420 docks are cheap as fug.

Yes, the fans work fine, I monitor them with TPFC. They typically run very lightly on a light workload, and were blasting at top speeds even at 90 C just now.

reapply thermal paste, you did something wrong

>Recommended IBM models:
>X60, X61, T60, T61

More like Chinkpads

I left mine (also T420) encoding shit all the fucking night in Handbrake and don't have problems with the temps..

Where do you have placed your Chinkpad?

Found a dusty ass R40e. No power supply. Should I try get this thing running? Would only be for running win98 and other old ass shit.

I mean, is this a good looking link? I still want to be able to use my screen brightness controls.

reeeeeeeeeeeee why do 90% of ebay sellers with good prices ship within the states only

are there any decent shops that ship thinkpads worldwide? I just want a fuckin x230/t430

anybody know why why is ktgee down?

ktgee decided not to keep maintaining the guides.

this

Dude didn't want to maintain it anymore, stop asking and lurk more before asking nigger.

It's on a wood coffee table in a cold apartment. What percentage of CPU usage do you have encoding? Mine reaches 100%, I am thinking the issue is that I use ridiculously high quality custom settings. I tried a simple ISO to MKV conversion at default settings and it hit 65 C maximum. I still don't think it should be the case that I need to encode in lesser quality to keep my laptop from blowing up. Guess I'll just see if it is possible to limit Handbrake CPU usage.

fucking weebs, gas yourselves. you always shit up threads.

i have a thinkpad yoga and i think op is gayer than me

gay website

@63726772
erase yourself weeb

no bulli.

>buy x230 some months ago
>lately start noticing I get less battery life
>understandable I guess
>check battery stats with tlp
>full charge capacity at 55%
>last time I checked it was around 70% some months ago
>notice there's no manufacturing date
>worry
>do battery reset last week
>back to 66%
>notice today is says max is 53%

Did I get chink'd? The battery is a 6 cell, apparently a sanyo and came with the thinkpad, I thought it didn't accept non original batteries.

Posting from last thread, an user gave me useful input but Id like to get some more
I'm thinking of buying a thinkpad to use libreboot on it and protect my freedomz. I don't really do anything special on my current computer, I've used windows all my life but I hate how some companies and websites make money off my data (even if anonymous, sometimes some important information leaks too). I don't play any games, only download e-books to my kindle and sometimes use the anki program. I also never leave my house with my laptop and I do a lot of writing. Is thinkpad the best option for this, or are there better alternatives?

>this post
seek help

Thats what Im doing silly.

thoughts on this? (canadian currency)

it says the battery life is 2h, isnt that retarded?

that shit is like 220usd

>not a single 128/256 msata ssd in stock in Local market
Fuck this shit

Buy used, there's a ton second hand pulled from laptops.

Post Thinkeroonis

Organizational-dependent technology is cancer, but we do like Thinkpads.

oh yeah?

Can't wrap my head around this niche.

Same but with my t430 6cell. The Lenovo batteries come with a variety of cells (Sanyo, LG, Panasonic) and Sanyo cells are by far the worst. My battery went from 70% capacity to 38% in 4 months.

>t420s bluetooth drivers are shit
>Cant get ds4windows to work on bluetooth, controller syncs, connects, then dc's a mlment later when bluetooth "configures" and windows tries installing some driver over ds4windows' driver
What the fuck

Can anyone remind me of the name of the chink company that rebuilds T60s (I think) with modern specs?

Yeah, and a replacement battery will cost you ~100, though I'm thinking in AUD.

TRIGGER DISCIPLINE MOTHERFUCKER
this picture is so triggering

notorious fbi's most wanted sam hyde need no trigger discipline when he's about to shoot a school nigga.

How do you guys set your battery charge limits and trigger fullcharge on Linux? Is there a better way than to manually call TLP?

I'm thinking of getting a thinkpad, but will the 2-key rollover affect me?

>gayman keys

average cool as fuck thinkpad user

I bought a W500, but the graphics card isn't compatible with libreboot. This is literally the only reason I even purchased this meme. I'll buy another thinkpad for muh freedumz, but what do I do with this W500

W2C ICC profiles?

bought a used lenovo for my t520 on fleabay and has been going strong for 2 years lolz. Paid like $20.00 or less for it.

battery damit !

Fuck you

Trap website, straightfag

Just look up T70

You have to go back
www.reddit.com/r/technology

Depends on your other computers
Either way you'll probably have a good time

2.5" or msata?

Fuck off
Ferris a cute

fugg expensive but tempting tbqh, I wish they'd do something like that with X220t

Ended up buying one costed 60 because used ones I can find are 64GB and lower

X220T is this relatively new so not yet :c
You could try upgrading to a X230T and swapping keyboards if you need more graphical horsepower

Lads, it is possible to gut a 701c butterfly keyboard and stuff it with recent specs?
Like new bateries, LCD, MB, and so on