About to switch

I'm about to switch from windows, for my first time ever, to linux, on my main machine.

You promise I won't regret?
I need to be able to handle data encryption, hotswappable raid array, ssh and other services, as well as run windows in a VM for the software that wine wont work with.

I've played with and emulated this stuff on these distros before:
Debian
Ubuntu
Lubuntu
Arch
Ubuntu Budgie
and a few others.

I've decided on Ubuntu Budgie.

How retarded is this decision on a scale of ("Not at all" -to- "Sweeping carpet")??

Other urls found in this thread:

ubuntu.com/desktop/1710
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Budgie is still in beta and has a few bugs. I'd go with something that is known to be stable.

Is there anything thats as good looking and usable right off the bat?

>good looking and usable
>lunix
pick one

>You promise I won't regret?
nobody can promise you that

>I need to be able to handle data encryption
LUKS
>hotswappable raid array
mdadm/btrfs/zsh
>ssh
openssh/dropbear
>as well as run windows in a VM
qemu/kvm/virtualbox/vmware

You're a cheeky cunt
You can make any distribution look however you want. It takes some setup regardless, so just pick one

Ubuntu Mate

Manjaro XFCE

I would suggest Elementary OS. It is based off of Ubuntu and is snazzy looking. Looks and feels sort of like a Mac without the mac style menu on top. It was a little bit unstable on my hardware where some programs wouldn't run, but that was just my hardware. Some people don't have problems.

>Manjaro
>XFCE
Retard alert.

I tried Elementary OS and found it to be buggy for me as well.

It was probably fixed in recent updates, but I'm going to give it a spin now. Hopefully it will work on my Phenom II X4 processor.

xubuntu

Install Android

Linux mint is your bro.

Android on PC is like putting condom when you just masturbate. You can but its a shitty idea

Deepin OS

This doesnt look too bad actually.

Solus Budgie if you don't mind slight infancy and a much smaller community/support.

ubuntu 5 is best buntu. brown and shit

You'll regret is the first month or so, afterwards you'll love it

I'm using Elementary OS and had some problems with xorg not working with my card, so I used nomodeset, installed drivers, and it works perfectly. No buggeroos.

What the fuck does "handle data encryption" even mean

encrypt swap and home for a better safespace

U understand they're just bytes right
Why would one os be able to change bytes with an algorithm and another wouldnt

Can't promise what you will or won't feel in the future.
You might also regret not trying it.

Encryption should work fine.
Haven't hotswapped, but I know it can be done. Why do you need this on your main machine? It seems like a server feature to me.
ssh works
Windows in VM works if you have a good enough computer you can even get full access to the graphics card.

As for bugdie vs other DE, use whatever you think is best.
If you really like the DE, why not solus (the origin of the DE have the main maintainer working on that)?
The cool part of free software is it is easy to keep track of who is developing what and you can use the tools the designers use. Solus does package managing different, so maybe you have a reason for using ubuntu.

>regret
It depends. You will have to find new software that are similar to ones on Linux. You might find software that is multi-platform like Discord. Also, learn how to use the terminal. It is essential and convenient to download stuff. On a Debian based system you type 'sudo apt install thing' To move around you type cd to chance directory. Cd .. to go back a folder. You'll find tons of info online on how to use the terminal. The basic thing is to learn the terminal. You don't need it, but if you want to hack and modify your system to be super cool looking you will need some experience with the terminal.

Well i've used it in a vm for a while and I think im ready to take the plunge.

This.

Im talking about software to do so, OS doesnt matter.

I have private Keys that i prefer to keep offline if i'm not using them so i just keep them in the hotswap bay and close it when i want to access them.

My computer can handle the vm just fine.
I'm just trying to model how my desktop will look cause I like things to be functional and good looking.

Whats this dock called? I haven't seen it before.

>nd home for a better safespace
what? wat? wut? woy? U woo m8?
Where did that come from?

I can use terminal just fine, i'm just lookingg for the distro with the most creature comforts and least amount of bugs.

I'm at the "hacking it and making it look super cool stage."

I'll also need a PGP key manager.
Is there one thats simple and terminal based?

>dock

I believe that comes standard with Gnome, but you have to install plugins to make it look like that.

probably try searching in you repository

Try GnuPG. I don't know if it is terminal based or not.

>budgie is bugy
>oh i know just use budgie

if I can get that dock figured out I';m going to pull the trigger.

I got a good PGP manager i just found thats similar to the one i used before.

OP, the dock is built in GNOME. It is modified because you can modify it.

Okay so is it just Simple Dock?

ubuntu.com/desktop/1710

It looks just like the gnome dock, but it is inverted.
You should think about which package manger you want. You got apt and pacman and some others.
Do you want apt install program name or pacman -s program name?

I've always used apt.

I would suggest Ubuntu 17.10, but I could be wrong about the dock, but it looks just like it, but in reverse. I chose Elementary OS my self because I find it prettier, but that is just subjective. Rice it because default Gnome looks ugly.

Ask Jamal.

Dude, what is a VM?

Try it yourself instead of pushing the responsibility of your decisions to anonymous
people from the internet. Check all the difficulties, see if you can circumvent them, and then make the change.

I want my next ubuntu with moebuntu mod

I keep posting on this thread, but when you are booting the OS in livecd mode, try out the os before you install. Also, you can take screenshots of the live CD desktop. If you want while you are installing, you can browse YouTube or Sup Forums. If it runs slow when you are in LiveCD mode then it is normal, not anything hardware related because you are booting off a DVD.

Linux Mint w/ Cinnamon is probably the most justwerks, pain free distro+DE I've ever used. Everything else I've used has either been shit or required a lot of tinkering to work out all the aggravating little bullshit. It is the epitome of babby's first loonix, but there's a reason for that.

op just get korora

debian, holy shit, do NOT go with ubuntu

Just try Mint. It's probably the best to start with, literally designed for people who have no idea what their doing. It may get old quick, but pretty much any Ubuntu or Debian info will work for it.
After a year or so, maybe switch to Debian for more versatility.

I promise you will regret. Do not switch. Stay with Windows.
I swear to god, of I see a complaining post in next week how someone switched to linux and
>Aaaaahh, mah gaymes doesn't work
>Mah software doesn't work
>It's shit! I can't use a fucking web search for this simple issue to fix, therefore linux is shit!
I will find you and rape your eyeballs.

>their doing
I agree, though...

Go with Cinnamon, you won't regret it. Learn the Linux basics with it, then after a year or two switch to Arch/Antergos/Manjaro. Cinnamon just works and looks fine when using the Adapta or Arc theme.

On a side note, the only thing you'll regret when using Mint is the software availability. It is based on Ubuntu (which is based on Debian), but uses the Ubuntu LTS (long term support) package base, which means that most software you're using will be a bit old. Then you'll need to add custom package repositories (PPAs) for basicially everything that's not included in their official repos. That's why Arch based distros are so much better, because of pacman and the AUR. But suggesting them to newbies would not be a wise thing to do, so stick with Mint for a while.

This is a pretty good advice. Mint when you're just taking baby steps, Debian when you are ready. You can even keep Cinnamon on top, they both have it.

install gentoo

Might be too late now but you should also try Xubuntu

im thinking of getting Zorin OS, is anything just as comfy and nice? its basically a ubuntu bloated and reskinned right?

Phenom II x4... those were better times.

why please tell me I just installed ubuntu today

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

I’m getting a new gaming computer for Christmas so I wont need this computer forever

Stick with Ubuntu. Debian nerds are upset that Ubuntu is based on Debian, but much, much more popular.

OP here.
Its come down to ubuntu budgie and just ubuntu.
Will make my final decision tonight.

Why? Linux on the desktop is absolute trash
>no 3rd party support at all
>no games
>bugs on almost every DE

>Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.
That's an operating system. People should have the freedom to call it Linux or GNU/Linux depending on what they want to call it.