GNU Plus Linux Thread

Which distro are you using?
Why aren't you installing gentoo?
Which apps do you recommend?
What made you switch to Linux?
I switched because I find Elementary OS pretty. You might hate it, but Linux lets us have the desktop or OS the way you want. Can't be done on Windon't.
Rice is nice
Tips and tricks are welcome

arch
it sucks, install macOS

Which distro are you using?
>ubuntu 17.10
>needlessly complicated
Which apps do you recommend?
>anything that's in your distro's repo and suits your needs
What made you switch to Linux?
>windows vista

We already have a containment thread for you faggots and it's that way

>Which distro are you using?
Devuan Jessie GNU/Linux

>Why aren't you installing gentoo?
That's not how it works. You tell me why I should.

>Which apps do you recommend?
>Apps
>"apps"
>(((apps)))
Die in a fire, applefag

>What made you switch to Linux?
Decided in the early '00s that I didn't want to be vendor locked in a proprietary OS. I now happily use GNU/Linux as well as Windows in a daily basis and could do most tasks on both systems. Life's comfy.

it's just linux

>apps
go back faggot

He asked for the name of the distro.

>(((apps)))
Thats what people call applications or programs nowadays. It is like how people call PM (private messages), DM (Direct Messages). I think DM is a stupid term, but that is how it is now.

>Thats what people call applications or programs nowadays.
Not the people in this thread, user.

Fine, applications, programs, or scrips. Happy user?

Very, thanks for not being a complete clinical retard.

In Ubuntu, is there a way I can use my laptop with wifi to give internet to my other laptop without wifi using a cross over ethernet cable?

Yes, google it.`

>Ubuntu 16.04.3
>No need
>apps
>always used it

Which version of Ubuntu are you using? Regular, Mate, XFCE, LXDE, KDE? If you are using regular Ubuntu with Unity, which distro are you going to use after the next version of Ubuntu LTS removes Unity, and uses Gnome?

GNU/NT 10.0
I hate python
just be urself
video games

Gentoo
Uhhh
> Which apps do you recommend?
I can only think of the ones I don't recommend.
> What made you switch to Linux?
Pre-installed Ubuntu on my laptop. I never actually used it though, installed Ubuntu MATE 3 months later.

I'm pretty sure only "Unity-Ubuntu" is called just "Ubuntu".

windows vista is absolutlety the worst operating systems I ever used. If you wanted to download anything for windows, vista had to have its own special set of rules. What did they do to vista, that made it so garbage

Im running ubuntu through virtual box, should I commit to it full time bros. Is it worth?

> Gentoo
> >needlessly complicated
> needlessly
Time to tighten that rope, user.

It is up to you. Would you be happy to switch?
Don't switch until you know which software is not compatible and find equivalent software.
>Muh favorite game doesn't work.
Play something else or see if it works in wine. It probably wont, it is new enough. You can install Steam, but not every game works on Linux, even though more and more are being supported all the time. If you can't do something you must learn to sacrifice using it. I'd say stay on Windows unless you are sure about switching and not because of Sup Forums memes. Will you be happy with changing your work environment? If so, then go for it. If not, stay with Windows or you could multiboot and have both systems on your computer.

Debian Testing (XFCE)
Because I'm too lazy
> Which apps do you recommend?
I dunno, what do you wanna do?
> What made you switch to Linux?
Life as a poor fag, always having to use a much lower end computer than what was current at any given time

I've been using xubuntu for more than a year. Sometimes thunar crashes. Software center don't work for me.
I don't want a meme SO. I dislike being bothered in general
telegram, anki, vcl, transmission, opera, clamtk
I hate updates in windows. It's clumsy and the fan keeps suffering from the botnet load
I have used elementary but some things never worked perfectly.

>Antergos
>muh AUR (and I can't be bothered to do the install dance, but someone on /gg/ posted a quicker guide so I might try that)
>Sonarr + Jackett
>Libreoffice runs faster on my Thonkpad

I dont game at all, I want to do it so I can learn more. Does it boost productivity/programming efficiency? I just wanna do it to learn and put it on my resume

>You can install Steam, but not every game works on Linux, even though more and more are being supported all the time.
Video game makers don't seem to take Linux seriously. E.g. Valve only care about their meme distro and Ubuntu, the client itself is 32-bit, so if you're running Gentoo on a x64 machine you'll have to rebuild a number of libraries with the x32 ABI USE flag.
The Linux ports of games, unless the engine is inherently cross-platform like Ren'Py, are usually inferior e.g. Audiosurf 2 doesn't support youtube, Euro Truck Simulator 2 can't connect to Internet radio stations, in Civ V the terrain looks weird, etc.
There is also a number of issues with proprietary graphics drivers.

the bright beautiful future of gnu
the only meta distro you'll ever need
once what they're doing here clicks for you, everything else will seem retardedly unacceptably inadequate
install guixsd

> 3878 packages
> 9 days of uptime
> 2.7 GB of RAM is used
What do you use you computer for, may I ask?

it's a web and media server as well as my main driver for everything
i mostly use it to shitpost and watch anime

debian
I did a few times, but I'd rather use something easy to setup and rock-solid on my desktop
implying apps
RICE

Ubuntu 16.04 with Xfce
Too much work. I agree that it's a very nice distro though.
Wine is a fucking savior.
Unironically - just werks mentality. Also there is something about "owning" your system which is not trying to be a "service".
>I switched because I find Elementary OS pretty.
Their theming is very inconsistent.

>inconsistent theming.
I agree. Most of the applications and windows have a brushed metal look, but the terminal has a night mode look to it so it is darker. I don't know how to make it look the same as everything else, but I still stand by my opinion that the OS looks pretty. Looks are subjective, but I like bare bones Elementary OS. It might not win any awards on a desktop thread, but that is what is great about GNU/Linux is that you can make it look the way YOU want it to. I find so many distros or desktop environments ugly by default so you have to rice it up, but with Budgie and Patheon, I find they look great out of the box. There might be a few other desktops that look pretty out of box, but for me Elementary has caught my eye in the looks department. I might find ways to fix the inconsistencies in the different applications, but for the most part everything looks fine.