Ereader Thread

Is the 32gb storage of the Limited Edition really worth it over the Aura One?
Also when the hell are color screen ereaders going to become a reality?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/lgeek/okreader
github.com/koreader/koreader
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Does the Kobo have a store where you can buy books like the Kindle?

They do, it's not as good as amazon's of course. Kobos are great for pirated epubs and text files as you don't have to convert to mobi like you do for kindles.
Also does anyone own an Aura one that can tell me what reading manga is like on it?

What's up ehir/with all the eReaders lately?

Storage is REALLY not an issue on ereaders. If anyone here actively stores 28 000 books on their device I would truly be interested in hearing about it.

Colour screens are neat but expensive and really only useful for manga and maybe showing the cover of the book. Manga readers don't make up the majority of their userbase and the added cost to see a coloured image of the cover while the device is off is dumb.

Some people on Sup Forums likes reading books on eBooks.

The original ereader fad died years ago so now Sup Forums thinks ereaders are cool.

Still have this after nearly 8 years.

Any reason i should upgrade?

If it works for you it works, I love paperwhites though. I'm on my third.

Why third? They broke easily?

Not really, I'm just pretty rough on them. First one I didn't have in it a case and I accidentally crushed the bezel. Second one I was jumped by black people and the screen got squished.

Ereaders are more expensive than my fucking phone, I can't bring myself to buy a dedicated ereader because of this.

That said, I've been reading PDF formats as I'm a pleb and don't know what's the best epub reader for android that isn't full of ads n shit.

>paying $300 for a fucking garbage unifunction device like an e-reader
>still slow and buggy as fuck
>components and build quality comparable to $50 no name chink tablets

It's why I paid 90 bucks for mine If you actually read a reasonable amount it's absolutely worth it.

e-ink is a meme. if your eyes are so bad you can't stare at a screen then you shouldn't be reading that much either. reading for extended periods is just as bad on your eyes.

eReader linux distro when

Thanks for letting me know that I imagined the much better reading experience. I'll go back to reading in a dark closet on my shitty backlit tablet.

You wut m8?

>buy books like the Kindle?
>buy
lmao

eReaders have been Android-based for years if I remember correctly.

Reminder to convert your books to azw3, not mobi.
azw3 is the newest file format Amazon is using and it's basically epub, mobi is not being used anymore.

>let me tell you about what I never even used in my life

>what are comic books

Hahaha what the fuck is that price. My backlit kobo reader cost me about a 100 Euros.

pseudobooks for children

>Yeah, but how well does this device render Donald Duck comics? It's super duper important for me

That's a symptom of the lack of competition, Amazon only does small readers for some reason.
Also, e-ink can't be backlit, it's a front light.

kek

FBReader

Older backlit Kobos and Kindles are like $60 on ebay. Lower PPI than new models but that doesn't matter unless you're reading chinese comics

Does it run PDFs? This seems like the first affordable one suited for scanned books/documents

All ebook readers can read pdf's, but none of them can do it well (like a tablet). If the PDF is about the right size, you'll be okay. If it's just text you can use calibre to convert it to epub. But if it's much larger than A5? Like a text book? Don't bother. Get a tablet.

They do get better with each new iteration, however.

holy fuck this is still a problem with e-readers? what is this? 2010?

e-ink is just inherently slow, it's not made for scrolling around

into the trash you go

I bought a Paperweight back in 2014, still going quite while. Still a great e-reader, I never ran out of storage but it does have some slight inconsistencies with the lighting. But reading PDFs is quite a cumbersome experience, always convert to mobi or the .azw format. My reader froze once when I tried to highlight a word in a .pdf and had to hard reboot it, very rarely do that.

>i was jumped by black people
lel what fucking neighborhoods are you visiting?

unless you're planning to read all of berserk in one sitting it won't be a problem

the type of person who likes 'e-readers' is the type of person who typically has a target painted on their back. hunched over fuccboi easy target to get jumped/mugged

I've got one still.. Use my paperwhite mostly but nothing wrong with the old one, they're good.

please continue to tell us how we feel

>mugged
>for an e-reader

just don't read pdf's
use another format
problem solved

haha books

or just don't use shit single purpose devices made with crap components. problem solveded

tashawn thought it was one of them new ipads

What e-readers are for: reading works of fiction or non-fiction in ebook formats. They're really good at this.

What e-readers are not for: pirating your math textbooks and DnD guidebook PDFs. They're really bad at this.

>What e-readers are not for:
you forgot to mention the crappy chinese manga 90% of Sup Forums loves

I guess that explains why people bitch about storage on these things here when a books are usually

but what if you use them for singular purposes?
>stop liking what I don't have a use of!
that's how you sound. fag

>All these kobo plebs who think their device is up to par with Kindle.

>wanting to tie yourself to amazon with anything
>ever
i like having to not convert everything to amazon's proprietary bullshit in order to get it on the device at all

it's easy as fug to convert it senpai

>it's uncommon to be jumped by blacks unless you seek out a ghetto
What's it like to be a billionaire? I can't imagine anyone else is this sheltered.

>wanting to use a device where the company can delete all your shit with impunity because of the clause stating they own all ebooks you "buy" from them
shiggy diggy

It's happened before: they deleted a user's entire account (thousands spent on books) for no fucking reason, and ended up snubbing them with the old CS circlejerk of death:
>"You deleted my shit for no reason!"
>CS rep minimum wage pajeet (poo for short): "computer says we deleted your account because you violated 'X'"
>"but I didn't violate 'X'!
>Poo: "computer says we deleted your account because you violated 'X'. Did I provide good customer serbice?"

They only got it reversed because they were fucking some big shot tech blogger that spammed it across the net letting it gain traction.

Can't imagine how many others out there who DIDN'T have an industry connection got screwed over by amazon with no recourse. Funnily enough, they also mass deleted 1984 of kindles too lmao.

Kindle shit. Not even once.

Also, kobo adaptive candle lighting is goat; papershit can't hope to ever compete.

Amazon's terms of service literally say they won't delete shit, they did get in trouble long ago but that was before they changed the terms.
Also you can just not connect the e-reader to the internet, just transfer files through usb.

Deciding between the aura one and the paperwhite.

Is the aura one significantly better for scientific papers

That's not the problem you cuck

The Aura One is almost thrice the price, might as well buy a tablet.

>better for scientific papers
Neither. Get a tablet.
Unless your papers are very light on embedded graphics and charts and are published natively on a less than A4 size format originally. Otherwise things can get fucky or frustrating.

Get an ebook reader if you read books by the bucketload. Ordinary books; not textbooks and the like. And if so, the aura one provides the superlative experience. It is not necessary and shouldn't be anyone's first choice unless they don't mind spending, and any e-ink reader will do unless want the comfiest read this medium has to offer. For me the aura one is not portable enough for my liking.

>having to do extra unnecessary steps
nah

If you aren't a pleb you will already be using Calibre to organize your library, you can just set it to automatically convert everything to a certain file type.

i'll be right thanks
you have fun with your extra shit tho

Ok I'll just get a used Kindle keyboard

>7.8
hmm that's actually nice.

>CS circlejerk of death
The thing about Amazon that infuriates the most.

Akira

I love my meme-reader!

R8 my qt kobo

My only real complaint is that this was the only case I could find for the kobo touch, paid 10 bucks and feel a little ripped off. It's pretty solid though with a magnetic clasp
40 bucks in total for the reader with the case

Are there any ereaders that display PDF well?

Only if you want to spend $700+

Why is that user?

You need an A4 sized e-reader for PDFs.

the resolution is much higher nowadays.

i think you'll notice a visual difference if you upgrade

github.com/lgeek/okreader

though default koreader is already linux based (NOT android)
you should use KOReader
github.com/koreader/koreader

i don't know a single ereader that won't read PDFs, however, i recommend trying KOReader over the default software.
And while you're at it, check out KSM (Kobo Start Menu), which acts as a sort of advanced boot menu. it's really neat.

Explain what this is

Actually I'm gonna add another complaint, I really wish this thing had buttons for moving pages
It would be really comfy to just bump the button with the hand that I'm holding the device with rather than have to use my other hand but whatever
overall 9/10 thanks for memeing me into buying this Sup Forums

>buying into e-reader memes
You already have a computer screen you fucktards. Read your Chinese comic books on that.

I bet you don't even have the newly released Oasis 7". You're probably a subhuman poorfag with a 6" cucklet paperweight.
6" "ereaders" are trash.

>look at how harshly this character judges for having a one inch larger screen on his gadget
>truly, humanity is a flawed, petty creature

fits better in my bag and pocket though

>implying people dont judge eachother based on inches in other aspects of their life

Kobo e-book store is usually overpriced compared to Kindle. Thankfully, you can load books from Google Play where the price is usually the same or cheaper than the Kindle store.

They do whatever they please and if you have a problem they bounce you with canned responses.

>paying money for literal .txt files with drm

There are certain books that just aren't on Library Genesis or Bibliotik.

It's more that with a 128gb mSD I can fit everything without ever needing to transfer ever.

Has anyone compared the Aura One to the H20? I'm thinking of just getting the latter since it's the last one with a SD card slot.

You the guy from that last thread?

My Aura HD finally shipped, though that was after asking for a refund from spinningnoon and then ordering it off a Canadian seller.

There aren't a lot of options if you just search "kobo case" but for me at least, the Aura HD has nearly the exact same dimensions as the Fire HD7. I bought a nice sleeve made for the HD7 to go with it. Pic related.

Bought a Kobo H2O ver1 for the SD slot and it shipped today. Upgrading over my old Kindle Keyboard gen1. Mainly want to get better ppi for chinese comics. What should I expect? Did I do a good?

I bought an Aura HD which I believe has the same specs as the H2O except it doesn't have the waterproofing. I've downloaded 10 gigs worth of chinese comics. Mine shipped from Canada yesterday, it should arrive here in LA next week. We'll see user, we'll see...

yup
glad you finally sorted it out though user
I wanted a flippy case and sadly could only find that one on amazon
how much did you end up paying in total?

thank god i don't live in ameristan.

They usually show up on flipmoran at some time or other. (when the guy actually shows up online at all that is)

>a nice sleeve
Sleeves aren't nice. Slipping it in and out and in and out (and in and out) is gonna get old, real fast. Also, it's naked (inout).
Drop it with those greasy, microwave popcorn fingers of yours and it's dead.
Get a flippycase. Ebay should be filled with chinese cheapies that will do well enough.
Sure they'll take the literal slow boat from china but you'll get it (eventually).

>(inout)
>popcorn fingers
>flippycase
why am I laughing at this fucking post

is that the actual promo shot for the kobo? black butler?

Is but a shoop. Real ad has Emergence.

What's the best ereader with an 8-10" screen and a decently high dpi for reading mongolian fingerpaintings?

I don't need any real features, as I'll just be pirating all of my shit. Just an e-ink screen and maybe a backlight are all that I need. Waterproof, wifi, touchscreen... all that shit is unnecessary.

>black people act like chimps
>u deserved it whiteboiiiiii
>OOK OOK EEK EEK