I just realized they're called routers because they create a route for packets to travel by

I just realized they're called routers because they create a route for packets to travel by

Gj froggo . Not entirely correct but gj , godspeed .

it's okay friend

i just found out a computer is called computer because it computes

how is that not entirely correct

Cause nothing is !

It doesn't create a route it sends packets to the destination directly or it guesses based on known addresses and the information in the packet being sent . The router doesn't know if it's even sending you down the best path or if you ever reach your destination

Well routers have what's called a routing table that the router consults before sending packets on to the next router. Routing tables are either entered in by the administrator known as static routing or are created automatically through a routing protocol.

that's what I meant. I actually knew about routing tables but somehow I never made the connection between routing/router and route.

Oh . Sorry frogo

and phone is called phone because it phones home... but it doesn't actually phone home... so complicated...

explain

when phone phones home... it actually phones someone else's home...

Made me think

And your wifi rated speed (e.g. 300 Mbps) is automatically halved in usable bandwidth just because it is wireless.

>just realized printers use different types of paper and I may have fucked up my laser printer by using inkjet paper for a while

We have actually run out of Usable IPv4 addresses, and have to rely on NAT to translate lan from wan addresses, this has basically fucked our ability to make really great protocols, since they have trouble fitting into NAT.

So many things on the internet would be solved if we all switched to IPv6

To be fair, 'route' isn't exactly a common verb. You find it as a noun in like bus routes and shit, or rerouting traffic as a verb, or maybe if you're a carpenter you'll know it, but it's otherwise not often used. Even when it is, it's usually used in certain set phrases.

Another example, many people won't consciously know what 'reap' means even though they know what 'reap what you sow' means, because it's an uncommon word unless you're a farmer.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

WHAT?!

as far as I understand it at the consumer level we're pretty much ready for the switch. It's the large services like ISPs that need to upgrade their hardware.

I realized desktops are on top of desks and laptops are on top of laps.