I have been using Kubuntu as a development & studying environment...

I have been using Kubuntu as a development & studying environment, but I've recently gotten bored and wanted to try something that's more 'bare', I also want to get into heavy-duty theming and 'ricing'.

So I decided to replace Kubuntu with Arch, and to start using a windows manager instead of a DE, probably 'awesome' because I've been looking to use Lua more.

How would the switch from comfy Kubuntu to Arch and WMs feel? Is there anything I should know?

Other urls found in this thread:

openbox.org/wiki/Help:Themes
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/awesome#Debugging_rc.lua
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Productivity is inverse to ricing. That's all you really need to know.

hello

Why the hell would you want to rice your os? Install Arch - your e-penis will grow :^)

yes, first of all, fuck Arch. Either go gentoo or debian. Next, i don't recommend awesome. Like someone said, ricing is the opposite of productivity, because you spend hours just making your system look "good", without increasing its actual productivity. If you go with i3, the time it takes to make it look really nice is minimal, plus it's superfast at its default config.

debian sucks

Stop distro hoping and get learning and working.

i3 sucks too

why do you think you need to switch from ubuntu to rice?

it all fucking sucks, now get your finger out of your arseholes and pick something that works for you

owo desktop thread?

any openbox ricing tips?

no-wo

openbox.org/wiki/Help:Themes

nice leddit pic
depends, my "rice" (pic related) is actual minimal and imo it's less distracting than using defaults

>using the smiley with the carat nose

>not using the smiley with the arch nose :^)

>using the smiley with the carat nose

you don't even need to install arch, just sudo apt-get install aweomse.

log out, log in awesome and voila.

then you have two files to edit etc/xdg/awesome/rc.lua

and usr/share/awesome/theme.lua

that's it.

not to fuck up your environment every time you make a mistake you should vopy these files to /home/user/.config/awesome/

and learn to debug your rc.lua using xephyr (running one instance of awesome virtually so you don't have to edit your rc.lua from TTY every time you break something)

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/awesome#Debugging_rc.lua

>using the "using the smiley with the carat nose" greentext response

That shit feels more forced than the smiley with the carat nose

what are you doing you dum dum, this inst the right place to discus about rizing your desktop.
You are breaking the fantasy rule number 53 paragraph 4

i don't rice my desktop personnaly but i like awesome nonetheless.

i configured a simple theme that matches my adapta gtk theme and i can use tiling in a very lightweight "DE" that is aweomse.

Illya!

I don't 'need' to, I'm just bored and want change. Also to learn about more things. It just sounds fun.

because ubuntu is trash

can a brother lift that wallpaper

you can have change and learn things by installing a tiling WM on top of ubuntu, you don't really need to reinstall your whole OS for that.

ubuntu may not be very gratifying or fulfilling but it's used widely even by professionals. there's nothing "trashy" about it.

it's based on debian, so everything that's bad about debian like apt and systemd also applies to ubuntu and they've added tons of useless bloat on top of that
why would he use a distro with a full DE and a shit ton of useless clutterware if he can just tailor the system to his needs from the start

I recommend Void, Devuan or Gentoo
Arch is better than Debian overall, but it still has the clusterfuck that is systemd which should be avoided

I might check out Void, from what I've read it looks really nice.

this is the most cringe post i've ever read, please get a job

>being a cog in the machine
kek

>using the smilie with a carrot nose

okay thread