Sup Forumsternet

How do i computer edition

Talk about:
>finding friends to link with
>linking meshes over VPN
>decentralisation/distribution of all layers of protocol, from network itself to end-user applications

DO NOT talk about:
>logos or names (use the Git issues for that)
>meme shit like lasers, HAM, or satellites. We already said that shit won't work right now
>monetisation. If we need money we can ask friends or stop being poor. We don't need crowdsourcing really

Links:
>Map (mark yourself): zeemaps.com/map?group=2787145
>IRC (join): irc.jollo.org SSL port 9999, channel #gternet
>Wiki (read and edit it): mesh.gentoo.today
>Git (sign up and contribute): git.jollo.org/gternet
>Last thread:

What is Sup Forumsternet?
mesh.gentoo.today/wiki/Meta:About
mesh.gentoo.today/wiki/Purpose

Protocol: BATMAN-adv for now using IPv6

Every well-intentioned contribution is valuable! Get your friends and neighbours in on this

Other urls found in this thread:

mesh.gentoo.today
mesh.gentoo.today/wiki/Frequencies.
clickbd.com/bangladesh/2226848-usha-martin-optical-fiber-cables-200miter.html
git.jollo.org/gternet/software/gternet-cli.git
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The speed has to be limited by design, if not the users transfering files would slow down the network for other users

How can a networking brainlet like me contribute besides editing the wiki and (mostly) lurking in the IRC?

Currently under development:
- A tool called geternet-cli that will tie all the deployment scripts together into one place. (knots)
- A hash based system to assign addresses across a decentralized network (cat is looking for more input on this; if you have any comments/questions direct them towards him in irc).
- A simple GUI for those inexperienced with the linux command line.

To Do:
- decide on hardware standards for City to City relays
- create resources for newbies on the wiki
- gather more people
- start building internet bridges for the intermesh connections (Linux Sysadmin tier)
- start designing diy kits for meshnet end users (Should be newbie-midlevel friendly tier)
- look into croundfunding options for purchasing city to city relay backbone equipment (Richfag tier)

Things NOT To Do:
- Talk about logos
- Talk about names
- monetary incentive
- satellites or other expensive meme hardware

I want to add myself to the map but I might be moving in the middle of next year, can I have a point removed later IF that happens? If so what do I have to do to make sure that's possible.

Additional:
>for those who do want to throw money at this project: Buy different hardware and test it!
>jokes don't bring us anywhere, especially when it comes to things that have been told not to do.
>before asking something, check if it's been talked about in the wiki

yes, let's leave the throttled internet to make another throttled network. are you fucking stupid
see if frens are interested
i forgot to add that if you're adding yourself to the map, include a working email, it can be cockli or something

also learn networking, there's resources on youtube and pdfs chock full of information. it was fun for me to learn so just try it, you might learn stuff

Knots here:

Screenshot of gternet-cli help output from last night. It will be our one stop tool for everything gternet related. It is still being debugged so just use the scripts on git
I will update when the software is stable enough for normal users.

Hey all, new to these threads

What's the plan for deploying new infrastructure? Do you guys plan to drape cat5 cables everywhere or something?

>yes, let's leave the throttled internet to make another throttled network. are you fucking stupid
Are you retarded of just pretending?
Bandwidth is finite you retard.
The speed needs to be limited or is not going to work.

>Bandwidth is finite you retard.
by that definition the speed is already limited, retard

this. what's the range on wi-fi? everyone on the map looks so far away.

Read the wiki please

Current plan afaik is to use long range wifi on raspberry pis or cables between them for intracity connections, and then use existing internet infrastructure for the time being to bridge these meshes.

TL;DR read the wiki, faggots.

btw i'll mess with openvpn and peer with anonet and we can leverage their existing experience and infrastructure to create a relay between meshes and with the internet

Buy my hardware once I have a working design :^)

yea "mods" remove mine all the time because I dont add an email

the jokes are a great incentive to be in these generals imo

What level of content will this operate at (looked at the wiki and didn't see a specific answer)? Because I'm working on a script that will convert simple markup to a properly nroff formatted plaintext file for my phlog (gopher blog).

Will this be of any use to you when I'm done?

Don't count on it. I wanted to update my node but they just moved it to the new map and now I can't edit or remove it. That might happen again.

Yeah, you're just retarded.
Let's say the mesh network has a speed of 1Gbps, now see this example:
>A is hosting a 10GB file that B, C, D and E want.
>If the bandwidth isn't limited the one that gets all the speed is the first to click download, let's say B clicks download first.
>Now C, D and E have to wait for B to finish downloading the file( approximately 80 seconds).
>When B finish, let's say C was the second to click download so now D and E have to wait and so on.
Now you see the problem retard?
It needs to be limited or use a torrent like protocol.

Our network will not have clearnet access so it will be up to the users to supply the content and services. Think of the internet back before the www boom when it was just enthusists doing their own thing. Eventually the content will fill out as more people get involved and can register domains and address space from our decentralized system for handling those things.

...or just use packet switching. a concept literally older than the internet

nobody wants to spend 46 days downloading a 10GB file

>A is hosting a 10GB file that B, C, D and E want.
bittorrent, ipfs, any protocol that distributes the load on each peer and doubles as redundancy in case one peer goes down. also you could use separate routes for each peer, or separate routes with different pieces of the file and piece them together at destination, so one line isn't bogged with all the transmission going on

please take an intro to networking class

Noted, thanks. I'll just idle in IRC then and people can trace my shit if they want to know where I'm located.

What do you guys thinking of developing standardized hardware? It would remove a lot of patchwork I think

heterogeneous hardware choice is probably our best bet

>Our network will not have clearnet access
you do realise technically anyone who wants to peer with us over the internet using openvpn or whatever, they can all access our resources

this isn't sekrit club shit, please stop acting like it. we're just trying to decentralise as best we can and do things "right" with security and debloat in mind

What should be the standard then?
I suggest that the antennas should be Omni-directional(very important for the mesh style network), 5 GHz with dual band(important for faster transfer speeds and lower latency), 802.11ac compatible (very important for faster transfer speeds) , multipoint capable (important for the mesh style network) with no less than 8dBi.
I found a cheap one with those specs for 56 bucks.

havent we went over this several times over the past ten threads? use whatever hardware is available and does the job

Standards are good, besides 56 bucks is cheap.
www.l-com.com/wireless-antenna-24-58-ghz-7-8-dbi-dual-band-onmi-antenna-n-female-connector

>standards are always, inarguably, irreversibly good
>doesnt pay any attention to the fact that different hardware has use for different situations
please gtfo this thread you fucking mouth breather

If you don't set a standard is not going to work, stay retarded.

hmm can you tell me how the internet uses wireless and wired simultaneously?

standards != sameness

The modern internet is one of the most standardized things in the world.
If don't set a basic hardware and software standard is going to be a botched mess.
Stay retarded.

standards != sameness
you fucking suggested using the same exact hardware for every bit of the network you fucking tool
stop derailing the thread

How about this?

No standard then, ok.
So no multipoint (good bye mesh network) , no 5ghz( enjoy your 100+ ms of latency) , single band (enjoy your choked network)
This is simply not going to work well without a standard

get the fuck out of the thread you flaming retard

your original post:
>What should be the standard then?
>the standard
>implying we're going to use one single fucking standard for the entire fucking network
you have to be eighteen to post here

This is cool, but the OP post is shit. Where is the progress timeline? What are the next steps? What is the end goal? Everything needs to be clearer. If you make clear, concise goals, people will be more willing to jump on board. Just trying to help.

On that note, please make it clear how many members you need and in what areas.

kek wrong post

>Every well-intentioned contribution is valuable! Get your friends and neighbours in on this

If your "team" is going to remain hypocritical, then you can wish this project goodbye just like the rest of Sup Forums's attempts.

>I didn't bother reading the thread before posting and I'm upset that I got called out on it

yikes

I'm not upset actually, I'm just disappointed in you and your efforts. Could be more organized is the point I'm trying to make. Enjoy the high horse however.

keep up with the irc and wiki, and anything that's missing how about adding it to the wiki instead of concern trolling and shitting up the thread? the OP can only be so long before Sup Forums rejects it

As I am the only dude in thousands of mile, I have started to design posters and flyers which I plan to distribute in my University. But my Photoshop skill is dumb and I am only making this in MS paint.

Can somebody please design me a black and white poster with a qr code that will redirect to mesh.gentoo.today if scanned ? Please !!

I was thinking about expensive wireless antennas and shit but I realized I can run miles of fiber cable to my friend's house. Things like this is normal in my city. Anybody can tie a wire to telephone poles and take that wire wherever they wish. So No problem connecting the nodes for me.

>he would like to spend 5000 USD for a mile og optical conection

Can’t we make the internet bridges over Tor? That seems as an easy solution to me~

>running multiple mesh hops over poorly connected nodes over openvpn over the Tor network
seems like a great way to get dailup desu
also tor is run by cia niggers you should know this

just use openvpn

Hey pajeet from urajeet, where are you from?

My entry on map got removed??!

So I want to get vps for ipfs and internet bridges. Which one would you suggest?

Where are you from? India? Me too. I've already got my dorm mates into this
Contact? You on IRC?

OVH is cheap, MivoCloud and HostHatch are also decent

Can I use vps like a PC? Like can I remote view into it and see the GUI?

just learn commandline and use ssh

I know command line and ssh, but can I remote view? I want to use it as my PC. I really want to contribute to gternet somehow but I don't have a computer. There's a iMac in my library with restricted admin permissions. If I connect to a vps, would that be like using a Linux computer with high speed internet?

>city to city relay

Cubesat, there is literally no other option.

Learn about X-forwarding or VNC, the former is preferable but requires you to have a local x-server.

Thanks!

Problem with cubesat is that you cannot send encrypted messages legally as you are using the HAM frequencies in the 420–450 MHz range.

Then how do people use vpn on satellite internet?

Because that's not over HAM frequencies. The people selling the service has actually licensed some of the frequency spectrum.

Could cubesats or similar satellites use spectrum that doesn't need license?

Yes, that would be the HAM frequencies. But as I just mentioned it's illegal to encrypt anything on that.

Byampu-kun~

Why?
Why is it illegal?
The good earth belongs to all of us. The spectrum is for all of us. You will not tell me what to do!
Freedom is my life
I seldom listen to that hearsay.
You think I'm going to fall for this?
Why the government get money form license? Doesnt the spectrum belong to me too?
Why do they have a monopoly?
We are here to decentralize
Not to depend and worship monopolies!
"Ohhhh you have a em wave to *that* wavelength? You *have* to pay ME!"
We are not having any of that

Might makes right that's why. Get an army and change it if you want to.

Hey everyone

Im back to working on the project today. Will be debugging and expanding the functionality of gternet-cli. And hopefully have it stable and tested for you all to use by tonight.
One of the features i was thinking about implementing was an automated deployment for various basic services so we can get content up on the network faster. For instance: you want to run an ftp server on gternet for sharing files with other users. You would need to run
gternet-cli deploy ftp

And then just dump your files in /srv/ftp

Right now i can immediately implement setups for nginx web servers and ftp.
Some others i was considering were: irc, forum web servers, and docker.

Any other suggestions? Im open to adding any features you all cam think up as best i can

Why not use skywire and/or substratum as a basis?

No autocorrect will correct to "fuck". Modern mobile OS know that word but never suggest it.

Just got my RPI Zero W today. Once the USB Hub comes in Ima gonna fuck around with getting it up as a node. I figure if you can have the batman-adv startup on boot and make the config file in the same partition as the config for the system (raspbian) then you would only need the pi and the sd card + whatever computer you already have. That's like $20 tops per node.

no ICOs please

im the map mod.
I can edit anything on the map so please reply with your requests.
Im abroad so im not very active in the irc right now.

Just wrote an article on the wiki comparing our frequency options. mesh.gentoo.today/wiki/Frequencies. You should read it.

Tldr:
900mhz basically sucks and 2.4ghz is almighty God.

But it's more complicated than that so read the article.

Just KISS... Just give a simple setup interface for anything. We don't need ubuntu-like interfaces

Another team member is developing the front end for people who dont want to use cli. But for people who want to run headless nodes a gui just adds bloat

pls de1337 this node so I can get control back over it
If you need confirmation just ping derk-dk on IRC. I'll respond if I'm awake

please post updates. I am interested in using pi 0 w's but I'm unsure if they're powerful enough.

Hello fellow dk user

which one of the pins are you?

The one located in the finest part of Denmark

lemme guess youre in odense

Dhaka Bangladesh. Jamesluke irc

200m cable is roughly 44$. so One mile should have been close to 250$.

clickbd.com/bangladesh/2226848-usha-martin-optical-fiber-cables-200miter.html

This is my logo submission

It's a dumb question.

I am from Urajeet.

IT SUCKS !

Not bad. Kinda looks like there's a wasp stuck in the web.

Also bump

Some updates:

- gternet-cli is stable enough to open again for testing. However we are playing around with replacing OpenVPN with Freelan as it supports true p2p better out of the box. I am going to be testing changes in the next few days and testing the first few connections with other members on IRC in the next few days.
- The batman setup part of gternet-cli is working. You can download and run it for testing on your own hardware using this example. note that "wlan0" should be replaced with whatever your wifi device's name is:
apt update && apt install git
mkdir ~/git && cd ~/git
git clone git.jollo.org/gternet/software/gternet-cli.git
sudo ./gternet-cli deploy mesh wlan0

Then confirm its working by checking the outputs of "ip link" (or ifconfig) and look for the bat0 interface. If its there then confirm you are broadcasting with "iwconfig". You should be broadcasting an SSID called "gternet"
- Some great resources were posted on the wiki regarding frequency options. see - Once we confirm the functionality of freelan vs OpenVPN we will be ready to begin testing connections between mesh networks.

i rike it

Got a pi zero w few days ago, i'm interested too.