AMD is reportedly allowing the Platform Security Processor (PSP) to be disabled...

>AMD is reportedly allowing the Platform Security Processor (PSP) to be disabled. The AMD PSP akin to Intel's Management Engine.

Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMD-PSP-Disable-Option
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Sounds good but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

>he unironically thinks proprietary botnet can be disabled just because you uncheck a box

Yes goy you can "disable" it so you researchers don't have to worry about looking for our backdo.. code! (phew)

Based amd

Man, if AMD open their shit and is transparent, Intel is deadtel.

This.
You have no idea that unchecking the little box actually does anything.
They didn't release it as Free Software.
We have no idea what the hell it actually does.

Don't be a dumbass, binary analysis is still possible.

When someone makes a PSP vulnerability and when disabling it it doesn't work anymore then you can be sure it's disabled.

As it stands there are no PSP vulnerabilities, known ones.

You can literally check for yourself, but you won't and can't and should fuck off.

IME can also be disabled but it didn't prevent it from being exploited :^)

muh dick

if this is true then i don't have any problem at all at buying a modern ryzen. Was thinking on buying an old 8350 because even though it's 2012 tech, at least it isn't a botnet

PSP was never as bad as ME anyway, even fully enabled. But if they're willing to disable or remove it and anything like it in current/future CPUs, I'm AMD all the way from here on out. Hardware backdoors are an incredibly stupid idea anyway, and they should never have allowed Big-Business/Law-Enforcement to shill them into doing it in the first place.

>"""disabled"""

Shill or tard?

I think the IME exploits are the explicit reason AMD is getting ahead of the game and disabling the PSP.

AFAIK PSP doesn't have its own independent network stack, so it relies on the operating system/BIOS for networking, which means disabling it could possibly be done by motherboard manufacturerers.

It would be a good business decision on AMD's part to remove the PSP entirely. If I were them I'd have a premium Pro line specifically for PSP features that businesses can buy at extra cost.

Fact of the matter is that a remote PSP or IME exploit could seriously fuck AMD or Intel with class action lawsuits. ESPECIALLY if it can be proven that a major data breach was explicitly due to the "secure" processors with built-in backdoors.

Intel is straight up FUCKED if it's possible to remotely exploit their processors even with the IME 'off' bit flipped. They implemented that for the US Government to close off the potential use of the IME as a backdoor, but if it can still be used as a backdoor that means every single government agency using intel computers is vulnerable and has been vulnerable for years now and would be forced to buy new computers. The economic hit alone would be enormous. Hundreds of thousands of computers would have to be acid washed and dumped and then entirely new CPU's without IME/PSP bought.

I wish it would happen.

Nothing better than the US government biting its own ass with their invasive spying

PSP is ARM Trustzone(the security bits), AMD licenses it and vulnerabilities in it doesn't fall on AMD's shoulder.

>AMD licenses it and vulnerabilities in it doesn't fall on AMD's shoulder.
That's where you're wrong kiddo

Intel alone would ensure the media treats it as an AMD failure and not an ARM failure. Everyone will hear, "Don't buy AMD because their chips can be hacked" not "Don't buy any CPU's with ARM's TrustZone"

It's like you can't even modern media

>AMD licenses it
Which would mean it'd be cheaper for them to make consumer CPUs without the extra licensing fees and only put it in the Pro series. Unless they're being pressured by the government...

gj amd

>Unless they're being pressured by the government
They are.
And this ""fix"" probably does nothing.

AMD is a pretty cool guy and doesn't afraid of anything

It's a sweet sugar pill at least. But I'm not believing it until there is sufficient evidence that it's disabled. Gutted and physically destroyed preferably.

sauce me

nvm
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMD-PSP-Disable-Option

they are probably disabling some features not the entire thing considering it needs the drm and shit..

>being exploited
a feature that had a full blown webserver on it people thinks it was there to be exploited and not by request