/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1
>Things you should know before building a workstation
pugetsystems.com/

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>G4560/G4600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Consider Vega 56 for a Freesync monitor
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards; 6GB 1060 or 4GB 580 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/G2stcc
pcpartpicker.com/list/xKB3KZ
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/9C4WVY
amazon.com/Gateway-DX4380G-UW308-A6-5400K-802-11n-Bluetooth/dp/B00C4UUFI6/ref=cm_cr_pr_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8
xtremegaminerd.com/best-graphics-cards-under-100/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>intel processor
>with anything less than a 1080

Hang on. This may have gotten the USB ports working, but I'm still getting the same software crash whenever I try to install the chipset driver or the video card driver. I still can't use it like this. Why the fuck is this shit crashing?

Nobody cares what idiotic pajeets like you have to say. You don't know anything about gaming.

Just got my PC all built. PSU was DOA so had to take one from my old PC while the dead one's RMA'd. Now I'm getting warnings that my CPU isn't compatible with Win8.1. Also no more updates. WTF.

Give it to me strait. How bad is the Win10 botnet? Can I totally disable it? Kinda paranoid about this stuff.

Just install Windows 10 you fucking luddite.

pcpartpicker.com/list/G2stcc

Pretty much an only csgo build. Any cheaper options? Already have a case.

can't I downgrade to WinXP?

>How bad is the Win10 botnet?
Not nearly as bad as it's made out to be.

Can I totally disable it?
Yes

why do standoffs scare me? they seem like the most difficult part desu

Please help me complete this Build:
>CPU
AMD 1800X (to compile thing, and hosting virtual machines)
>GPU
AMD RX480 Reference Design (I already own this, i will probably put this in)
>RAM
16GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200 CL14 Dual Kit (I want 3200 RAM with samsung chipset, and the pricegap between 16 and 14 isnt huge)
>PSU
A Random Gold/Platinum PSU with 400-500 Watt (I will use my PC everyday and the processor will be often at 100% load.)

Please help me choose:
>Aftermarket Cooler for RX480 (no overclocking)
>Cooling for CPU (no overclocking)
>Mainboard (Maybe RAM overclocking)
Im ok with overclocking, when the benefit/powerconsumption ratio is ok.
I already heard that the ratio is not ok for CPU and GPU.
But how much watts can i waste on RAM overclocking?

>1800x
>480
What?

>tubes and pipes
>not water cooled
I am offended.

Because motherboard isnt retard proof.

Try Windows Update? And visual c++ redistribution update/reinstall

You can go down to a 1050 for csgo, its mostly cpu dependant

what are some good 140mm rad fans?

Are you updated to sp1? Try that

what's the cheapest way to get a win10 cd key?

>buys an intel processor because of its excellent single-thread performance
>most games can't into multicores
>gets a 1060 or a 1070
>b-but 8400+board is only $50 more expensive than a 1600+board setup
>forgets to mention you can't OC that 8400 but you can oc rypoo
>the absolute state of tryhards

>Tfw it's winter time
>Tfw heater is on, but room gets really hot, cpu and motherboard temps are in the 40s
>tfw if blocked the vent, it gets too cold in my room

Does the trick where you pirate win 7, activate it with dazloader then upgrade to 10 for free license still work?

Or you could just pirate 10 LTSB like a sane human being

Worth upgrading 970 to 1070 TI?

Do you guys unironically use Windows 10? Jesus christ

7th gen intel onwards you kinda have to, no point in using 8.1 either

I didnt know that, there's no real workaround like Ryzen? That fucking sucks

I'm looking to upgrade my pc, and I would like some suggestions... I'm mostly happy with this set up but I get low frame rates in some newer video games, so the GPU is my main concern. I looked at PassMark and they say that the GeForce GTX 1060 is the most cost-efficient replacement, what do y'all think?

I would kind of like to have more, faster USB ports but I don't know if I can do that without replacing the motherboard. Kind of would like a new one anyway to use DDR4 ram but I don't know think I have the money for all of that right now. Do they sell replacements for the smaller front deck that has the headphone/microphone jack + USB ports, etc..?

If there's anything else relatively inexpensive that you would upgrade I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Intel i5-4670 @3.4GHz
16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950
Cheap RCA 1080p monitor
Generic case, mouse and keyboard
Sony MDR-V6 + Chinese tube amp
2 Intel 120GB SSDs, 2 WD 1TB external drives

I just spent 4 hours trying to install another hard drive, and I finally made it. FUCK this piece of shit case and fuck non-modular power supplies.

Don't mind the dust. :^)

You just have to add USB drivers to the installation media.

>guy using Win7 on a 7700k

Hey user, you seem to have a productive day, and maybe the case is still open... so.. could you please remove the dust for me?

Hello made a new computer last night and I have a Rx470 4gb gpu that is giving me conniptions.

If I have it out I can boot normally. I plug this fucker in and hook up and my moniter goes into power saving as if it isn't receiving signal. The thing's fans are spinning and so I assume it is at least powered.

Any quick troubleshoots?

It probably isn't seated correctly.

My UP3017 just arrived. I've got to say it has warmer colors than U3014 in AdobeRGB setting. Not the best, but I still like it.

I have reseated it at least thrice.

Please recommend me a good mobo for Intel processors that has at least 2 digital video outputs for the integrated gpu. I don't really play games anymore and I'm sick of nvidia's BS on Linux, so I'm planning on an igpu-only build next.

First Time I booted the computer it had the GPU in it, however every time since then it hasn't worked

pcpartpicker.com/list/xKB3KZ

first-timer here. been watching videos and reading guides for the past 2 days and still have no idea what i'm doing. most of this stuff is my cousin's suggestions since he just gave me a new mobo he wasn't going to use. trying to stay as close to $1000 as possible.

probably not gonna go more than 1080p/60hz for the monitor. mostly just play WoW and mobas, so i'm not sure if a gtx1080 is overkill or not, but i'd like to have the option for more intensive games in the future and maybe give me a while before needing to upgrade.

welp my dumb ass just read the op, so i5-7500 is going obsolete? i've been seeing threads on Sup Forums saying coffee lake is in short supply right now, but i don't know much else about it. are new lines generally expensive right out the gate?

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/9C4WVY
got an old 750w seasonic PSU from last computer that died recently, do I bite the bullet and buy now or wait?

Unless ram prices spiked like 40% in the last day, don't buy that shit.

gtx1080 is seriously wayyyyy overkill for 1080p60, a 1050ti or a 3GB 1060 is more than enough, get 16 gigs of ram and a better cpu instead

?? its 279 most 16GB kits are 300

How much is a good SSD these days? My hard drive just died. I'm looking for 1 or 2 TB with lots of speed.

I mean if you're building it around the motherboard you got which I assume is the one on that list you can't get a coffee lake CPU anyway.

Don't fucking get a GTX 1080 if you're only planning on gaming at 1080p/60Hz.

Get a 250-500GB SSD plus a 2TB HDD instead, way cheaper than a 1-2TB SSD

Updating this PC I've been using for 10 years with a new mb, i5 4670k and 8gb ddr3

How bottlenecked will the 7850 be?

I don't get the point of upgrading to a ddr3 platform
Save up and buy a new system

I want one specifically for throwing all my games onto it for faster load-speeds.

It's used parts I'm getting for free

A 1TB 2.5" SSD is around $280.

I'm looking to emulate Breath of the Wild at 40-60 FPS on my PC. I have a 1070 already, but I think my old CPU is hindering it. What CPU is good for hardcore emulation, but works on older motherboards like the ASRock Z77 Extreme4?

Not all games benefit the same from SSDs, for some it makes a huge difference, for others not so much. But if you seriously have over 500GB of games that you play constantly to the point an SSD would make a difference then go ahead.

Well, thinking about bottlenecks right now is stupid.
What are you planning to do on your 7850? It fits between a GT 1030 and the GTX 1050 in terms of perfromance.

Play games obviously. I have no clue what kind of performance this GPU even gets since it's been bottlenecked by my CPU so badly it hasn't ever actually heated enough to warrant the fan to spin faster. I'm assuming 1080p 60fps should be doable in most games, especially if I drop graphic settings as low as they go. Right now I'm lucky if I get a stable 30fps

If you drop the settings to minimum maybe you can do something
Thag card is just really damn old though and only manages to beat the absolute cheapest cards on the market.

>but works on older motherboards like the ASRock Z77 Extreme4?
You have to upgrade motherboards for newer processors? How do you even find that shit out. Sounds pretty arbitrary.

PG279Q costs $1050au at cheapest online and about $950 imported from the US (likely to get taxed). I went into my local chink run IT shop today and the guy tells me he can get it for $820. Now I thought he must have mistaken it for the freesync M which goes for about that but he showed me the product code and it says P. What do you think mates?

>dat PSU placement
why
embrace the 144hz meme brah

Go for it. Ask about Warrenty and all that jazz tho.

I've sent him an email with a link and model # for the monitor so I have his price for it exactly in writing. That way if it turns out to be bullshit I can just take it to a petty court and get my money back

Good luck user. Make sure to check for dead pixels and BLB. The 27Q is notorious for it.

I read that they improved their QC last year and dark room test them now. Anyway I will definitely be checking

Ok i was told to ask here from another board.

amazon.com/Gateway-DX4380G-UW308-A6-5400K-802-11n-Bluetooth/dp/B00C4UUFI6/ref=cm_cr_pr_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

This is my PC, im poor as shit and barely getting by with the job i have, and i know fuckin nothing about pc's, i'm basically an ape. I just want a cheap graphics card that won't require a power supply upgrade and can run WoW at a stable 30fps. I can't go over more than $60 if possible. I just need something cheap yet effective. Can you guys please help me?

>being a intelcuck

>buying a housefire cpu
retard

It's mostly arbitrary. There are reasons for it, such as new revisions of USB, SATA, PCI-e, DDR, or architectural changes like going from 14nm to 10nm (if Intel ever gets around to it).

Here are the requirements for WoW if this can help get my question answered.

MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
Operating System: Windows® XP / Windows Vista® / Windows® 7 / Windows® 8 / Windows® 10 with latest service pack.
Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E8500 or AMD Phenom™ II X3 720.
Video: NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 440.
Memory: 2 GB RAM.
Storage: 45 GB available hard drive space.

[spoiler]i really need help with this guys, i just want to relax and play an mmo, i seriously don't have much in this tiny ass apartment. Any help you can give is appreciated[/spoiler]

Buy a used video card, because nothing new is going to be thwt cheap and even if it was it woukd be really bad.

>Can I totally disable it?
>Yes
Bullshit.

You could probably scrape by with something ancient like a 9800GT to be honest, they go for $25 or so. That was my gpu, and it played stalker and oblivion and shit admirably in 2009-10

ok well what's the lowest price range i can go for then for something that can run it? $80? $100? what is the cheapest card that will run WoW at the lowest settings? i dont give a shit about if the game looks good, i just want a steady fps

Pretty much anything, it's just that consumer cards are trash until you get past the $100 range so you should buy something off of craigslist or maybe ebay

Are VA panel monitors still shit for gaming? My OLED phone's contrast levels get my dick hard but I don't want thicker blacks enough to deal with shitty screen smearing whenever I play something.

Any suggestions? i'm willing to pay the $100+ as long as i can get a decent fps. I have no idea what to look for

How is i3 6100 with 1060 3gb

pick 1
xtremegaminerd.com/best-graphics-cards-under-100/

shit

Thanks, 1 more retarded question. How will i know if these will fit in my PC? --> amazon.com/Gateway-DX4380G-UW308-A6-5400K-802-11n-Bluetooth/dp/B00C4UUFI6/ref=cm_cr_pr_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

i shouldn't have any issues right?

bls respond lads I am sadly forced to buy the monitor today and don't want to consult 5 year old forum posts for this

Why the fuck is DDR4 RAM so expensive?

They will fit, you put a GPU in that black rectangle looking thing that is empty right now, it should lock in and the ports should come out the back like your usb ports.

These cards are small because they are old/suck, you aren't putting some titan x monstrosity in there.

If I were to build a desktop PC for under $300-400 for my mom to just work from home and use for office applications and web browsing, what would be a good processor and GPU to get? I've never actually thought about building low-end stuff before, only upgrading my high-end rig...

A pentium and integrated or maybe a GT 1030?
Or you could wait for Zen APUs.

Man I regret not buying 2 when mine was on sale for $120 last June.

Depends on the panel probably
VAs have better colors and viewing angles than TN, but not as good as IPS.

colluding between ram manufacturers

it's hurting budget builders the hardest. whatever you do, don't gimp your build to account for ram. just settle for 1 stick of 8gb for now and add another later. or even 4gb if you just using it for shitposting and esport gaming.

one dude here said he was saving loose change in a jar for his ram, that's another idea if you don't like the idea of dropping $200 from your wallet

I'm feeling a lot better abiut jumping on Flare X when it was $175

Just buy a pre-made desktop for her.
It comes with service warranty as well as tech support which helps if your mom isn't tech savy.

Why the fuck is there a 3TB HDD in the mid range PC in the OP?
What kind of casual gamer needs 3 TBs?

I also want to know this. Have really been turned off 1440p/144hz because of IPS backlight bleeding, dead pixels and generally shit qc for premium cost displays

What does /pcbg/ think of ram coolers?

Pointless

it make any difference with oc?

t. pleb who doesn't even overclock his ram to 4300+MHz

True enthusiasts should buy a triple fan ram cooler at the very minimum.

>these titan V specs
You must be a huge idiot if you still want to buy Vega with how good the Volta is shaping up to be.

Is Freesync worthless if I'm planning on buying a 60hz monitor and playing at 60fps?

do you live on a desert ?

clean it up

why not use liquid cooling then ?

what's a good and rather cheap 27" 144Hz WQHD Monitor with GSync? Dont really care if ips or tn

Hey, I'm very new to pc building.
I have been offered 1-2 thousand £ to build whatever I want. I've looked through the sticky and pc part pickers suggestions but I'm still confused what I should buy.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.