It's GNU/Linux!

>it's GNU/Linux!
>Linux is just a kernel!

Yes, you actually got that right! No need to think so bad about yourself.

You have to appreciate this meme very carefully.

In recent versions of this meme there was still fragments of a head .In this version there is just a neck with a face on it.

Linux is a name that broadly denotes a family of free and open-source software operating systems (OS) built around the Linux kernel.

Microcephalic wojak is really great.

There is a variant of Gentoo that runs on the FreeBSD kernel and uses a lot of FreeBSD software, but also uses the GNU toolchain, do we call this system "Gentoo GNU/FreeBSD"?

What about alpine linux and void linux that don't even rely on GNU if you choose to

Most people today use Linux. But they aren't using GNU.

Yeah, Linux is pretty much the only certain common factor. If Linux is missing it's such a rare case that the person speaking can use some extra effort in specifying the uncommon combination.

Do you think this thread is just so funny to keep constantly reposting everyday?
It's not really funny.

They use GCC, don't they? They literally cannot exist without GNU.

Actually it should be Linux + GNU.

>yfw it's easier to find a drop-in replacement for Linux than for GNU
This is why it's incorrect to call GNU/Linux just "Linux". To this day, it's impossible to run a Linux system without GNU, but you can easily run a GNU system without Linux.

>To this day, it's impossible to run a Linux system without GNU
Did you mean to say it was impossible before, or that it currently is impossible? Both of them have been around for decades and times have changed in pretty much everything.

It is and has always been impossible. See . GCC has always been the compiler of choice for Linux.

NetBSD/Linux + Clang aka Android

>GCC
>not being able to compile to python byte code
In the trash it goes

But the source code can be downloaded and compiled with any compiler, right? Precompiled binaries will be whatever the developer chose, but you don't have to use them.

No, GCC is the only compiler that can compile Linux.

1) That variant is defunct and no longer maintained.
2) It used to be called Gentoo GNU/kFreeBSD

clang can too

I invite you to go ahead and try to compile Linux using clang then.

Okay I enlighten you now.
First of all the kernel IS the operating system. From wikipedia:
An operating system (OS) is system software that manages computer hardware and software resources and provides common services for computer programs.
That's exactly what the kernel does. Another definition doesn't make any sense, because there is no way to determine when to stop. Does a C-Compiler belongs in the definition of a operating system? A Browser? Window Manager? And don't bring up POSIX. Neither Linux nor Windows are fully POSIX compliant
Second thing: To account for the fact that Linux is shipped with different software by default we have the term "Linux distribution". In fact you're free to make your own distribution an call it whatever you want. For example GNU operating system. What you can't do is forcing people to call their distribution GNU/something when they already have chosen to call it Debian Linux, Gentoo Linux, Arch Linux or simply Ubuntu

Normie

It's a kernel.

Linux literally is just a kernel.

Other systems have fooled you into thinking it's "just" a kernel. A monolithic kernel does everything on its own.

It is possible to do so.

>Yes, you actually got that right! No need to think so bad about yourself.

Monolithic or not, a kernel is a kernel.
Fuck off.

It goes like this.

>GNU/Linux is the operating system!
>according to this definition, linux alone is an operating system
>AS DEFINED BY POSIX! REEEEEEEEE!
>Nobody cares about POSIX
>WELL ACKTUALLY ITS TO RAISE AWARENESS ABOUT THE IMPORTANCE OF GNU/COMMUNISM BECAUSE WHEN YOU SAY LINUX PEOPLE PROBABLY THINK OF THE CAPITALISTS AT REDHAT SO REMEMBER TO GIVE GNU CREDIT SO PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT OUR FIGHT AGAINST THE BOURGEOISIE!
>uh huh *starts helicopter*

Nice argument.
Linux is a kernel, a monolithic kernel.

how is GNU the operating system when linux+systemd alone boots, provides the ability to run software, and manages all system functions?

when every other thing was done with shell scripts ala sysv, acpid and hotplug and you needed grub to BOOT if you weren't using lilo, yes, since GNU was the shell it was also crucial to the OS

but now the only important GNU part is the C library so GNU isn't so much as the OS as one small part of GNU is a supporting component of the actual OS which is overwhelmingly non-GNU, while the rest of GNU is optional userland with so little relation to the core OS that you might as well call windows 10 GNU/Windows because it comes with bash and the coreutils now

>the UNIX shell is veeeerrrry important! it's not an OS without it!

>I can't read previous posts but I still think I can criticize about arguments

This. It's called Lennart/Linux now, or Lennux.

>Hur it's not just a kernel, because it's a MONOLITHIC kernel
Yeah and? a monolithic kernel is still a fucking kernel.
Linux is a kernel, how fucking hard is this to understand? Just because it's not the type of kernel you prefer (because you have shit taste in kernel design) doesn't mean it isn't a fucking kernel.
Have you ever wandered why the linux kernel is called "linux"? Because LINUX IS A KERNEL.
The kernel + userspace is your distro, and it's called whatever your distro decided to call it, such as Arch.

>Just because it's not the type of kernel you prefer (because you have shit taste in kernel design) doesn't mean it isn't a fucking kernel.
What the fuck are you on? Now you're just making up stuff to support your """arguments""". Either that or you actually can't read. Whichever it is it's starting to look pointless to answer. Your homework is to look at this picture for a full minute without drooling. Don't come back before that.

Linux+systemd is an operating system
Linux+GNU (no systemd) is also an operating system
An operating system bundled with various third party software is a distro

Questions?
You seem to think that monolithic kernels aren't kernels.

And Linux is a kernel.

But GNU is not my operating system and saying Systemd/Linux is even more awkward, so I'll spare everyone the autism and call the whole OS Linux.

>so I'll spare everyone the autism and call the whole OS Linux
And that's completely fine. But it still doesn't change the fact that Linux is a kernel.

Here, you forgot the most important line so I helped you. Next time have your dedicated nurse spoonfeed you, it's not my job.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX. Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Yeah and? The line isn't incorrect, because there's more than just kernels below the line.
Still doesn't change the fact that Linux is a kernel, this is common sense.
If you're arguing that Linux is an operating system, I won't argue with that, but Linux is definitely a kernel, and anyone who disagrees with that simply doesn't know what a kernel even is.

>inb4 hur dur you can't be an OS and a kernel at the same time!
Sure you can.

>it's a kernel
>it's just a kernel
subtle difference autists won't pick up,

So the whole point of your post is to tell something everyone already knows. Linux is a kernel. Well done. It's also a monolithic kernel, which means it stops being correct to say "it's just a kernel" since it does the job of other parts as well. Of all the kernels, monolithic is the least "just kernel". People who say GNU is the operating system and Linux is just the kernel are wrong as demonstrated multiple times. Linux is an operating system and GNU is a useful collection of tools to make it more usable. Even IF you never meant to say GNU is the operating system you made it sound exactly like that. It gets mentioned in that tone every day.
>hur dur
Pic very much related.

linux is the kernel of the linux operating system

/thread

vmlinuz is the kernel of the linux operating system

FTFY

GNU produced a bunch which would already be forgotten if they coudln't have piggybacked on the Linux operating system..

What if my kernel is linux and I have no GNU lib/package/app?

OP/Faggot

GCC was never mandatory. Look at sta.li

Stpid people everywhere.
Sure you need gcc to compile the kernel. BUT YOU DON'T NEED TO COMPILE THE KERNEL YOURSELF.
your linux sys can be installed 100% free from gnu communism and bloat.
You can actually be free!

Or you can also fix the kernel ti be compiled by sane compilers

ur a kernel u fuckin fagit

what is linux?
what is bsd
what is OS X bsd hybrid kernel thing
what is windows kernel?

I actually do wonder all those questions if anyone is willing to answer

t. hasn't heard of metonymy

I'd like to Interject for a moment, what you're referring to as Linux is in fact musl/Busybox/clang/Linux