/gg/ - Gentoo General

/gg/ - Gentoo General

gentoo.org
Quick Install: wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Quick_Installation_Checklist
Quicker Install: chiru.no/u/installgentoo.txt
Prebuilt Gentoo image and binhost: ca.cloveros.ga
Packages: packages.gentoo.org
FAQ: gitgud.io/cloveros/cloveros/blob/master/FAQ.md
IRC: #gentoo on irc.freenode.net | #cloveros on irc.rizon.net (all questions or help welcome)

Come here for help or general questions, post your configuration, discuss packages or overlays, CloverOS, post your desktop, anything else Gentoo, etc. Newfriends welcome.

Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

warosu.org/g/thread/S63686276
warosu.org/g/thread/S63635467
warosu.org/g/thread/S63596028
warosu.org/g/thread/S63572589
liquorix.net/sources/4.14/config.amd64
manjaro.github.io/SSL-Certificate-Expired/
ca.cloveros.ga/s/CloverOS-x86_64-20171129.iso
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki//etc/portage/patches
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/IceWM#Generating_menu_entries
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>69 messages last thread
Let it die for fuck's sake. It has no traction.

"no traction"

warosu.org/g/thread/S63686276
warosu.org/g/thread/S63635467
warosu.org/g/thread/S63596028
warosu.org/g/thread/S63572589

convince me to install gentoo

fastest linux distro

Most customizable and flexible distro.

Rolling release but not unstable like Arch.

Anyone got horror stories about the update from 13 to 17? Waiting for `emerge -e @world` right now and hoping for the best.

No problems updating all my computers/scripts to 17.0

The only problem I have is that the new stage3 spits out this warning whenever I emerge something:

!!! Section 'x-gentoo' in repos.conf has location attribute set to nonexistent directory: '/usr/portage/gentoo'
WARNING: One or more repositories have missing repo_name entries:

/usr/portage/gentoo/profiles/repo_name

NOTE: Each repo_name entry should be a plain text file containing a
unique name for the repository on the first line.

Gentoo needs more people maintaining ebuilds

gentoo needs more people maintaining overlays to grow a pair and put the same effort into the main tree instead

>13 messages

>no bumps for 3 hours during eurofag hours

Why can't Europoors into Gentoo?

Has anyone tried running Gentoo/BSD? Any weird bugs?

Most time sink distro

Is cloverOS welcome?

No longer maintained

CloverOS is Gentoo, so it's included.

Well I pretty much destroyed my system. I think all I can do is reinstall. I just couldn't seem to rectify my Python and openssl problems. I was just going round in circles. I did run a bunch of stuff I was not sure about just to see what happened while on this broken system. I think as I work through this install I'll have a much better grounding on what's going on.

You can deploy python and other stuff from a stage 3 tarball or such if portage is broken.

Yeah I think I just made a big mess. I also unkeyworded a python package and then had other packages then dependent on it. I'm still learning so no problem to just reinstall and avoid silly mistakes I made.

>Cowtits
Disgusting

Has anyone here ever had a gentoo installation break through no fault of their own?

Only on ARM, but it didn't break because of my fault. x86, never

it's been like that for an hour now:

* Linux Kernel 4.12.12-gentoo for x86_64...
* .. with config file /usr/share/genkernel/arch/x86_64/generated-config
* kernel: Using config from /usr/share/genkernel/arch/x86_64/generated-config
* kernel: >> Running mrproper...
* >> Running oldconfig...
* kernel: >> Cleaning...
* >> Compiling 4.12.12-gentoo bzImage...
* >> Installing firmware ('make firmware_install') due to CONFIG_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL != y...
* >> Compiling 4.12.12-gentoo modules...

feeling nervous

Modules are always the longest part. Kernel is tiny compared to all the drivers.

>!!! Section 'x-gentoo' in repos.conf has location attribute set to nonexistent directory: '/usr/portage/gentoo'

it says that to me too even before i compiled the kernel

ihavenoideawhatimdoing.tar.bz

Why not just increase loglevel so you can see what's going on?

it's still time to do that now that it's compiling?

i have no idea what i'm doing, just following the documentation like a drone.

chances of failure are very high

How do I into generic kernel that just werks with some minor config tweaks for efistub?

but i know it's not frozen as the hdd is very active and i monitor my CPU usage with htop

shit's working. it takes time but it's working

Yeah no once it's started you gotta let it finish or start over. But assuming you're using genkernel you can just pass --loglevel=5 and you can see everything it's doing scrolling by

it won't be needed i think:

Copying config for successful build to /etc/kernels/kernel-config-x86_64-4.12.12-gentoo
* busybox: >> Applying patches...

it's going on, almost done now

initramfs: >> ....
>> compressing cpio data

that takes time again...

Kernel compiled successfully!

lol how are you supposed to know which modules should be loaded automatically?

liquorix.net/sources/4.14/config.amd64

The warning doesn't actually matter, I just want to know how to get rid of it.

Also, with the new stage3, one has to run
eselect profile set "default/linux/amd64/17.0"

Imagine compiling your system on pic related

Most of the emerge time would be wget/tar

Been ages since I heard of Liquorix. I remember it being an option in SMXI, some script I used to use on CrunchBang to install my GPU drivers.

libcxxrt won't compile for me anymore but I just removed it with USE="-libcxxrt" and everything still works.

>MAKEOPTS="-j32"

>32 core processor
>8 threads per core
>-j32
get out

I like gentoo a lot.

I just wish it had more traction.

-j256 then?

Yes, but then again -j256 alone is practically useless as almost no build could saturate that many threads on its own. Some combination of settings like
MAKEOPTS="-j256 -l256"
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--jobs=32 --load-average=64"
would work better

why are you posting these retarded /r9k/ tier images in the gentoo thread?

How did you blurr the bar ? you blur the wallpaper manually ?

>How did you blurr the bar
compton
>you blur the wallpaper manually
the wallpaper isn't blurred

If you blur your wall in gimp (at the bar level) and make your bar transparent you could save some power maybe ?

maybe

well i tried an dinstall gentoo for the first time all went well until the end when i tried to configure grub

i installed grub-install /dev/sda (using legacy bios) but then, when i tried and grub-mkconfig it said "command not found"

i lost like 3 hours. i installed manjaro finally.

>using a shitty out of date Arch derivative
Void is where it's at if you want a binary distro that sucks less and just works

yeah, idk i had manjaro dvd laying around and installed it by default.

i'm not really satisfied so far, there are several programs that i rely on and are not in the repos i'd have to install them from sources that sucks.

also i had to downgrade my nvidia driver because every program using glx/opengl segfaulted lol

i thought that it was a more solid distro considering its popularity on distrowatch. maybe i wasn't lucky. the default theme is lit though i like it.

So I'm sort of new to Linux, I'm currently running Debian Sid but I want to jump into more complicated things. Which should I choose
1.Void/Devuan
2.Arch
or
3.Gentoo
I've ehard that Arch is as easy as following the guide to install, does this hold true for Gentoo?

I suggest Void or Devuan, then Gentoo
Arch if you don't mind systemd
the Arch wiki is useful no matter what distro you choose

Thank you

Its popularity is basically just from
>arch is cool
>arch is hard
>this is arch made easy
It's actually pretty shit from what I've heard, though. They sometimes hold back updates, defeating the purpose of rolling release. They also are somewhat incompetent, forgetting to renew tls certs twice and making you roll back you r clock.

IIRC a couple of years ago they were asking users to disable NTP and manually change their clocks because they forgot to update their ssl certificates and pgp keys.

Apparently it's happened more than once...

manjaro.github.io/SSL-Certificate-Expired/

You can look at the source code of all your favourite loonix programs at the drop of a hat!

Save on heating bills when it's time to update your portage profile

>genkernel
this literally enables so many modules; essentially this is the kernel you're getting out of Ubuntu or Debian. of course, if you customize (for those who know what they're doing) it can be just as much of a timesink if not more, but that's just the nature of gentoo. even with modern hardware your kernel and initramfs need not be larger than 30mb combined; mine is around 16mb and i only have 4 modules, none of which are from graphics.

>software has bug not fixed yet
>found a patch/fix for it
>important environment variables weren't set correctly when i just built from git and moved to /usr/bin/
>software is available in portage
>need to install, with fix/patch, via portage
how do this

lol i tried and install void and it was fine, installed the programs i like, then installed nvidia drivers and rebooted.

now it won't even load the kernel anymore lol there's nothing in the logs but i thinks it's the nvidia driver installation that went to shit

it's a pity, i had already installed my themes and all. everything felt snappy and pretty lightweight now it fucked up lol

so far tofay i failed at gentoo not because ic ouldn't install it but because i couldn't configure grub, i installed manjaro but didn't really liked it, then installed void and broke it in half an hour.

top kek

>void

ca.cloveros.ga/s/CloverOS-x86_64-20171129.iso

it worked well with the non-proprietary drivers. it was full of screen tearing but it worked lol

i'm back with rock-solid xubuntu now, whatever.
tomorrow i'll pick another distro and install it for the fun

Edit /etc/portage/make.conf

turn PORTDIR="/usr/portage/gentoo/"
into PORTDIR="/usr/portage/"

>grub-mkconfig it said "command not found"

lol too late i deleted it, i got "grub-mkconfig :
command not found" after a grub-install i gave up

please i am need help

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki//etc/portage/patches

so I installed icewm and programs are not showing up in the startmenu. Already have it added to my xinitrc file and is starting fine that way. theres two buttons on the bottom that are blank but go to xterm or firefox. I am using clover OS.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/IceWM#Generating_menu_entries

i did that and nothing is put in my start menu still.

did you restart icewm

nvm had to restart icewm.

emerge --sync
eselect profile set "default/linux/amd64/17.0"

Don't forget to update your profile

I'm having an issue updating my CloverOS with emerge, I keep running "emerge -uavD world" but it keeps ask. I keep saying yes, but nothing seems to be changing.

update your package use files. make sure cloveros_settings is updated

Update your profile

>genkernel
Thats your problem. By default, it has a lot of modules selected, uses -j2 as makeopts (the reason why it's taking so long), and hides compilarion log.
Change these settings, reconfigure kernel or simply use the plain old make && make modules_install

carbon nanotubes

can I use the same ccache for compiling gentoo and for compiling android ?
How stupid is this on a scale from 0 to 1 ?

where 0 is not stupid and 1 is stupid

eselect news read 18

Forget ccache

why

It's for building the same software over and over again

but i have no idea how modules i should install there's like a hundred of them

this but with slackware as an option

>how
*what

sorry, woke up like 10 minutes ago

but not all binarys of a software change with an update

Check the wiki to see if anyone has the same model of computer/hardware as you. Make sure the filesystem types you use are installed in the kernel itself instead of as modules otherwise your computer won't boot.

Wew, some services in package.gentoo.org don't work. I want to see what my USE flags are doing god dammit

equery u package_name or if you need more info then read the ebuild itself