/wt/ Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of whorology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/H9NruIjkGEw

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/-qPv1Q_dwRE
vintagewatchstraps.com/blogregulators.php
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Not Kojima approved.

>Previous thread had 299 posts
>OP pic is some Pajeet movement
>Vid changed to some autists interview

What happened to these threads?

>post limit 300
>movement is the slimmest split seconds colum wheel chronograph movement ever made
>High quality video about one of the greatest individual watch makers currently alive

You just come here to shitpost and ask what is happening to these threads?

Yeah Patek suck and have gone to shit in recent years. Just look at that shitty quality movement ....

Those may be good, but they will never rival the aesthetics of this one.

BUT BUT BUT MUH SAMURAI FINISHING

>just looks like a boring Casio
False.

The later Casios are homages to this watch my friend.
The design is the archetype of the perfect digital watch, if you start adding more shit it will suffer like in your pic.

The OP image isn't large enough to tell anything about the movement finishing, and in any case it is Patek's entry level models which have rightly been taken to task for increasingly cutting corners in the last few years.

>secondary display to complement the additional functionality without compromising the main display
>exotic high tech look that has survived the test of time despite vast technological advances
Works great.

youtu.be/-qPv1Q_dwRE

>10/10
>doesn't have the screws clocked/timed
9.5/10 at best. If woodworkers can do it you should expect it of a watch that calibre 2bh.

>screw-head alignment should be a factor in judging anglage quality
What did he mean by this?

I didn't read the title 2bh I thought it was just over all finishing and was shocked to see screw heads all over the show.

>Features shown only on one display without clogging the display with too much information or hindering it's performance.
>exotic high tech look that has survived the test of time despite vast technological advances
If you can say that about this watch you can say it about the Casio too.

>Even updated still looks dated or quirky minimalism
>display and features not as useful
That's the exact opposite, idiot.

>display and features not as useful
Tell me which features are not that usefull?
It has a chronograph which can always be usefull.
Calendar till 2099 or something.
Alarm, which is propably it's most usefless feature but still very usefull.
Backlight bright enough to tell time in the dark.

These casios pretty much have all the usefull features a digital watch should have.

>can't see the time simultaneously while using said features
Please, I mentioned this.

Do you really need to see the time when you are using the chronograph? You can switch back to show the time if you need to see it anyways.
Why do you want to see it simultaneously?

What are we looking at here? What's that snail looking mechanism for?

Countdown timer is my personal favorite. I don't ever have the touch it after setting it or after it completes, because it will still have normal time at the bottom.

It's a regulator.
vintagewatchstraps.com/blogregulators.php

I wish seiko would make some more tasteful watches with this movement instead of the wired monstrosities they're putting out. A regular g757 homage would be ideal.

Oh yeah I should've guessed that. Are you working on it or was this at an exhibit?

So I asked a couple threads ago why watches with numbered indices cost more, and I got a response that it requires more ink, which is logical but I get the idea the poster was being facetious. So what's the real reason? Because a Seiko 5 with tally indices costs significantly less than a Seiko 5 with numbered ones and it can't just be the ink, since many of them have stamped/machined indices.

Also is it safe to get Seiko 5s from ebay or amazon? Are the "vintage" Indian frankenwatches scams or what? How do I spot a knockoff?

This is the other. Looks weirdly wide though, not square.

I thought i literally said wide

its franken so its not original. I don't know if you class that as a scam or not.

if you know what you're looking for you can easily tell the difference between a genuine seiko 5 and a franken, but if not then maybe stick to amazon

This was at the NYC patek exhibit this summer.

Im thinking about designing and 3d printing my own watch using bismuth which melts below the temp that would mess up my molds thoughts?

hi gee. can you recomend me an affordable (100-300 USD) chronograph

Only mechanical option in that range is a seagull 1963 of derivative thereof. Lots of quartz options both analog and digital.

Penis reporting in. I sold my King Quartz after realizing I hadn't worn it in more than 10 months. Paid $220 CAD for it on eBay, and sold it off for $250 on Kijiji.

>owned watch for two years
>6.6% rate of return

Better than my fucking index funds

Came here in fall of '14. I remember because that was the time Alien Isolation came out and liking the retro aesthetics of Alien I noticed the wristwatch in-game and looked it up. I used to wear memenicals as a kid and I got hooked again on watches. Back then I was a NEET with a shitty IT degree.

Now I'm a watchmaker with a stable job. I literally got hired on the spot.

Your index funds returned less than 6.6% over the last two years? That's pretty bad given the market environment over the last two years.

Hey I have a shitty IT degree! Does this mean I can become a watchmaker?

Some funds did better than others, average was around 6%. I got greedy and picked a lot of risky securities for some. But yes it is extremely poor, I could almost get a higher rate from City of Toronto bonds.

jesus that's gorgeous

neat

No, you're too far gone.

Ah too bad. I'll try again in the next life

Where do you work? Is it NYC? Should I bring you my shitters to be serviced?

literally all of them are good but start with stalker and solaris.

Not him but I watched Stalker months ago.
Is the point that the zone is like life itself?

I thought it was some sort of sentient entity that had otherworldly powers. It is a straight sci-fi film and the glasses moving at the end definitely points to this. Allegorically is the zone life? To me it wasn't but the lack of information in the film is supposed to be filled in by the individual. Good art means something different to different people at different stages of life. I personally really love Tarkovsky because of how competent the cinematography is in all his work the story's are interesting but for me they are simply a tool to draw me through his painting.

I am just an idiot though so take anything i say with a grain of salt.

just curious what's the purpose of a chronograph watch?

Is this bait? What is the purpose of any timer or stop watch? Are you really asking that?

You can use the rotating bezel on your skx to measure time roughly, no need to measure it with a second or tenth of a second accuracy.

East-Europe.

Unless you're measuring lap times, dummy.

There are far better instruments than a wrist watch for measuring those and if you actually need it measured, there are people who do it for you, silly.

>I'm out of arguments, so i'll just use this fish image.

I'm going to get an Orient Bambino and there's nothing you can do to stop me

That movement is sexy as fuck.

>the zone is like life itself?
yes. And when you understand the simplicity of the professor-writer-priest interactions then the film becomes entirely an emotional and cerebral experience

it's ok

Way ahead of you mate.
"Watch enthusiasts hate this guy, find out how he got pussy and compliments by wearing a something dirt cheap compared to rolex"

So here is a question: Are the Lemania 134x and 5100 the only directly driven chronograph complications ever developed? Some casual investigation of the topic hasn't turned up any others, which actually surprises me a bit.

Post blue dials.

>skx
>shitter king xtreme being used for anything other than having a misaligned chapter ring and poorly applied lume

0/10

Anyone have ideas for what to get someone who likes watches that ISNT a watch? I already have a book for them.

A spring bar tool.

Maybe a better pic.

Muh Amphibia.

How many of you guys are also interested in knives?
Not meaning to start the watches and knives train.

It grieves my heart to see these piece of shit opinels everywhere..
Nothing personnel to you my friend though.

Anyone ever bought an MHD watch? They seem like one of the few miyota based microbrands that are priced accurately, or at least at the lower end of the price range.

Watch guys are generally knife guys who are generally car guys who are generally gun guys.

Looks like a gap to me.

I think these two images adjacent to one another sort of sum up the whole rolex vs seiko argument rather nicely.

Actually, I'm even more autistic about knives than I am about watches.

I don't think that's a particularly fair comparison considering that the DJ cost like 20x the price of the Turtle when new.

So, you are saying you believe that the edge of the end-link curve inwards and/or the inner lug face curved outward such that the flush fit near the lug tips isn't consistent all the way back to the case? In reality both are obviously flat surfaces so the fit at the lug tips must remain the same all the way to the case and the apparent sliver of a gap must logically be the black effect on a mirror polished surface.

I am the turtle owner and there really isnt an argument to be had there

Pocket knifes I only have an Opinel No.7 and a red carbon steel Mercator (no those shitty stainless steel or retard colour ones).
I have a full chiefs set of Victorinox and a bench set of Global like off those kitchen shows. A good couple of knives in the kitchen is the best improvement you can make to your cooking imo.
I have Victorinox multi tool "swiss army original" or w/e it's called and a Leatherman wingman.
I kind of have one or 2 of each use and switch them round for variety.

Which one?

Ok, what about this?

How do we feel about biglargehuge lugs?

>look up some movements of watches I wanted to buy
>$20 and $10 miyota movements
>expecting me to pay $300+ for a mass produced quartz movement
Are cases that expensive to make and assemble?

No, you're just getting played by Instagram watch marketers.

Tbh, they know exactly how to sell to me. Ah well I'll patiently browse ebay for the next purchase.

That looks like a tiny gap, but one that is an order of magnitude smaller than what you were previously suggesting the gap was. I have a GS dealer local to me so I'll go take a look in person and see how much of a gap, if any, is present on the models they have in stock. This is the kind of thing much easier to evaluate in person than photos.