What does Sup Forums think of wine? It's a very useful program

What does Sup Forums think of wine? It's a very useful program.

>It's a very useful program.
Really? For .. what?

I'm actually asking.

I used WINE for one Windows program called SierraChart a few years back. I switched to the web browser based TradingView service one time my subscription ran out and I haven't used WINE since.

I'm used to editing images with GIMP so I've never had any need for PhotoShop. I know Word and Excel are popular but I've always used OpenOffice then LibreOffice so I don't need it for those either.

So... what, exactly, is it that there's no good native GNU/Linux software for that you'd need WINE to do?

It can run my old nip fighting game (EFZ) in windowed mode.
Which is nice, since it wasn't playable since Vista.

not OP, but 90% of the shit I've bothered with Wine for has been binary only file format converters and shit (lots of .xm2whatever shit)
in addition, there's a few cross platform programs that run measurably better under Wine than the native Linux version (the example that immediately springs to mind is MAME)
also used to run Renoise under WINE to render songs with Windows VST instruments (or at render the instruments to samples so I could edit the tune in native Linux Renoise), although it had too many latency issues to be nice for composing with,

I also used to bother using Photoshop (CS5) in Wine, but I've gotten fast enough with GIMP that I haven't used PS in over a year now.

It's good for retro games that don't work in GNU/Linux because the company went under years ago or a port has a 0% chance of happening.

i realized i dont need it
Macs have Photoshop (and Pixelmator is better) and other professional programs

Driving theory test

Play some winblows games even then might as well just pass through or dualboot for that other than that I must agree I have see many reasons to use it.

I use WINE for Word now and then but for anything serious a Windows VM is safely contained so I use that for AutoCAD and other CAD/CAM soft.

Windows is free, most Windows soft is free to torrent, and using VMs is ideal for snapshotting to test cracks. Not that I would ever use warez or cracks, but I've read someone somewhere might maybe have contemplated so doing.

>testing other peoples malware infested cracks instead of making your own
>Running CAD in a VM
Good memes.

Pretty much this.

I used it to play some old games on my Mac. It's a pain to set up but it works.

It's an okay emulator.

>Windows is free
No it's not, and I'm willing to bet that most versions of Windows that are cracked have some form of malware attached to it

>So... what, exactly, is it that there's no good native GNU/Linux software for that you'd need WINE to do?
EAC for ripping perfect FLACs for REDACTED.

has a bit of a sour taste, but gets you drunk if you spend enough time with it

Ya, especially with port wine. But it's pretty shitty to get drunk with, don't feel to good after, alot of congeners.

Screenfetch. Stop

I use it for games. It works well enough.

It's pretty good for running old/indie games.
And winelib is useful if you want to learn directx without using windows.

Random user here.

There is actually 1 software I am missing, it's Sony Vegas Pro 12, I know there is kdenlive, but kdenlive is more like kdenscheiß

what's the point of emulating a botnet?

i prefer dualboot, there are just too many problems with wine, its faster and easier to just boot into windows to do 'windows' stuff

It WAS a useful program... I can't hardly get it to work with anything anymore...

VMs work better

>he doesn't use cdparanoia to rip wav files and then convert them to flac
It's like you enjoy shitty rips.

I use it for old windows games, Warcraft 3, Impossible Creatures, Hitman, Age of Mythology and such.

DaVinci Resolve was released on Linux. I also found shotcut very simple and good for editing. Other software I tried was kinda buggy.

Y'all are crazy or just never actually tried WIne for more than half an hour. I've been gaming on WIne extensively for years and used it for other Windows programs when needed. Sure, some things take some time to set up, but most stuff does work. I would, however, suggest using seperate prefixes for everything you do and for fuck's sake, do NOT use the Ubuntu provided package, it's outdated to hell and back. PlayOnLinux does its job of offering newer binaries and managing prefixes great, but avoid install scripts as they're usually outdated and/or weird.

Is shit more than 100% of the time.

this, arguably i don't play many new games
things work more often than not, it does an amazing job for what it is

solidworks is the last thing i still have some form of windows around, thankfully it runs well enough in a VM

the ubuntu packages aren't that far behind, their stable package is one release behind (new one came out over a month ago), and their development package is also one release behind, but only just, as the new one only came out 17 hours ago

Gaymen.

Sheikh Stall bin Man says its haram to consume Wine.

WINE is good... Some games work under WINE without any significant glitches.
But DX11 and DX10 support suffer wery much.

Vidya obviously.

Wine Is Not an Emulator.

>wine is not an emulator
>wine is not an emulator is not an emulator
>wine is not an emulator is not an emulator is not an emulator is not an emulator
>etc
nice acronyms opensource fags

It's a great piece of software.
I've got my gf playing Cuphead on Wine right now besides me. I would be running Winshit with a Linux layer (like Microsoft's) as my main driver were it not for Wine.

victoria 2, exclusively
i wish johan wasn't such a retarded snownigger

I prefer moscow mule

>Linux is not unix
>Linux is not unix is not unix
>Linux is not unix is not unix is not unix
MAKE IT STOP

I actually used photoshop on wine for several months when I started with linux. (We called GNU+Linux just linux just back then. It was a different time you understand.) Eventually, I got used to GIMP and slayed the baby duck dragon. Well not really, now I hate using photoshop as much as I used to hate GIMP.

Noone ever pretended Linux was an acronym, though.

>GNU's Not Unix
>GNU's Not Unix's Not Unix
>GNU's Not Unix's Not Unix's Not Unix

Microsoft toolkit
Kmspico
Etc.

It is fucking useless trash.

Can run on Windows for retro programs?

does honeyview work on wine?

Lmao

Any apps worth running on the mac version of wine?

Used to think I need it, but I really don't. Then again I'm on OS X. If I used Linux on my private laptop, I'd probably use it for adobe stuff, and probably just for that.

Just B.E. yourself.