Does Linux work on a macbook? I've heard it's hard to install

Does Linux work on a macbook? I've heard it's hard to install.

Illyaposter you use a Macbook right? How hard was it.

Who fucking cares, macs are for the gays.

Kirino a cute.

I don't think illyaposter uses Arch on the mac. I think she has two computers, with one being the mac running MacOS.

As far as hard to install, the main problem you'll run into is Wifi. It was a pain in the ass last time I tried it. Everything else worked smoothly.

That said, it's been a while, so maybe the situation has changed.

this, especially after rootgate

>she

>macshit
Kill yourself.

>every ss is 1920x1080
Literally a shitposter with a hackintosh. Hilariously enough posts W10 screenshots as well and those get ignored.

If it's old enough, you're OK. But if you want to dual boot make sure you have a back-up because I've had loonix fuck up my HFS+ partition more than once.

If you're running something newer then stick with macOS and customize it. It's breddy gud.

What the fuck do either of these two statements have to do with my post?

It's a 2011 MBP. I'm looking to the future when Apple drops support.

I should fix my 2014 retina though.

I've tried Linux on a 2015 MBP and it works out the box with everything and is easier to install than on many Windows computers. You will find it difficult if you intend to keep the MacOS partition as then you have to fuck about with refind, but if you just want Linux then it's fine.

Just don't bother with the 2016 MBP as that'll probably suck.

I use MacOS anyway because I'm an apple douchebag and I prefer BSD to Linux.

>macshit
Found your problem.

It was free!

Basically mac is is a complete fucking joke. rootgate and re-root gate removed all doubt about that.

wait can you really just get rid of the operating system that easily? Do you not need refind?

I dont give a fuck about keeping macos i just want linux on this mac

Ubuntu might have the best support, try it first
>It was free!
Must be nice to know richfags.

Yes, but this thread is about installing Linux.

>Does Linux work on a macbook?
It works, however you will have to fuck with Facetime HD camera driver, with Broadcom Wifi, with Apple-smc...

Couldn't you set your partitions with Disk Utility and avoid that fuckery?

she uses a gaming laptop with arch and a hackintosh desktop
she doesn't use windows 10

I thought MacBooks had a 650m

It's not hard to install a distro like Ubuntu or Fedora, but it's not worth it.

As much as Sup Forums hates on macOS, it's miles ahead of Windows and it runs excellent on Mac hardware. It's better optimized for that hardware and excels in many areas in comparison to Linux.

>she

Don't put it on the new Touchbar Macs and you'll be fine

>it's miles ahead of Windows

*spams enter on login screen*
*elevates privileges to root*
nothing personnel kid

Not if you upgrade your high sierra to 10.12.3.
But shitposters are just shitposting without looking up to the truth after all.

>spams enter on login screen
Does it work on the login screen? If it does that's a whole different level of fucked. The existence of this bug proves they weren't even following their own protocols.

Fuck just make a back up and try it out then

Partitioning is the easy bit, but refind is an absolute ball-ache to setup.

Not difficult at all. Mine was pretty much seamless when installing Manjaro dual boot. The only issue was making sure grub booted into the selector before doing straight into either OS but that was relatively easy to fix. This was on a 13” Pro 2015 btw.

I used Ubuntu on a 2010 Pro for a while, no issues.

kys

I had 2014 Macbook Air. At first, it was hard to install linux because I was a noob and MBA had a propeitary wifi card which means it will break on every kernel update. But The propeitary wifi drivers has been improved and it's now stable for everyday use. Battery life still sucks

Mean ;_;

why use linux on a mac?
what exactly doesn't macOS have?